Which striker should we sign this summer?

James Ward

Lukaku isn’t world class ffs.
He's definitely in the top 10 strikers in the world. We didn't manage him right with regards nutrition and fitness when he was with us.

He is twice the player Martial is. If Inter offered a swap deal with Martial right now I would take him back.

Paul_Scholes18

Lukaku isn’t world class ffs.
Everyone got different views about it. Top performing forwards this season in terms of goals.
Lewandowski, Immobile, Ronaldo (not fully central), Werner, Lukaku, Vardy, Ben Yedder, Mbappe, Aguero.
Last year how many of those would people claim as world class? Still they are scoring goals and performing.

Coops73

I see Woody’s latest briefing has done the trick and got the Caf excited about half a dozen signings this summer.
Yeah, it’s like a fecking Jedi mind trick “These are not the signings you are looking for, move along”

Mr Smith

What about Luke Jovic? Hasn't worked out for him at Madrid and there's been talk they might cash in. How stock has dropped but he's still a good player, could be the perfect time to buy?

Alabaster Codify7

It's going to be Ighalo if we keep Ole. Regardless of whether he makes an impact. He'll be reasonably cheap, zero competition for him and they can use the narrative of 'he's a United fan, he gets the club/fits in with Ole's philosophy'.

SaintMuppet

I think the real question is ‘who can we find of the required quality who wants to come here’ ?
The days of being able to take who we actually want are long over

edit!!! Stop looking at top 10 players because they ain’t coming here!

SpyLuke10

He's definitely in the top 10 strikers in the world. We didn't manage him right with regards nutrition and fitness when he was with us.

He is twice the player Martial is. If Inter offered a swap deal with Martial right now I would take him back.
nonsense comment.

Paul_Scholes18

I think the real question is ‘who can we find of the required quality who wants to come here’ ?
The days of being able to take who we actually want are long over

edit!!! Stop looking at top 10 players because they ain’t coming here!
Yeah we are not that attractive anymore. Even less with Ole around.
What we need to do is simply bring in a good manager that can work well with our squad.

Also try to buy players with the right attributes for us and not just big names. Just like small clubs do or try to do.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Inter are known admirers of Martial, and any football player that wears a United shirt, and I think Martial plus £20m-£25m at most will be a fair offer for Lautaro. He’s next up in terms of strikers. Martinez and Sancho and our attack looks to be complete on paper.

If Martial stays though, then I’d target a different profile of striker altogether and go the Cavani type of route. Greenwood is about 18/24 years away, and when that time comes, I’d like him to have a fair crack at stepping up.

croadyman

Inter are known admirers of Martial, and any football player that wears a United shirt, and I think Martial plus £20m-£25m at most will be a fair offer for Lautaro. He’s next up in terms of strikers. Martinez and Sancho and our attack looks to be complete on paper.

If Martial stays though, then I’d target a different profile of striker altogether and go the Cavani type of route. Greenwood is about 18/24 years away, and when that time comes, I’d like him to have a fair crack at stepping up.
I can't decide how I feel about us signing Cavani because he is nearly in his mid 30s and likely to pick up more injuries but on the other hand he is very much a proven goalscorer and learning from someone like him could do wonders for Greenwood. My gut feeling is that in the end he will join Atletico Madrid at the end of the season because think he fancies a crack at la liga more than coming to the premier league.

worldinmotion66

I'd be going all out for Sancho, and a top central midfielder if money allows. I'd also push hard to get Gomes and Chong nailed down, however unlikely.

Sancho / Rashford / Martial / Greenwood / James / Fernandes / Pereira / Pogba for the top 4 positions
Pogba / Fernandes / McTominay / Fred / Perieira / New signing for the two deeper midfield positions

I think we've got enough cover defensively and should look to invest in that area the following summer. We've been pretty unlucky in terms of injuries compared to most of the big teams.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not just a cold striker but a character who will inject aggressive mentality upfront and will press weaker teams like we always should in the beginning.

Lee565

Ings, I just want a clinical striker that we know will smash 15-20 goals in the premier league and he's proving he can do it with a team like southampton, before he joined liverpool he looked really good but was unlucky with a long term injury.

It helps that he is a down to earth guy with no ego, works his socks off pressing from the front, chasing after long balls down the flanks and over the top, he's to potentially entering his prime years, he's decent on the ball, good dribbling with the ball, has pace, and him being English is a slight bonus as well. I think we would be making mistake not signing him like we did never going after vardy.

Mr PG

Surprised nobody mentions Odsonne Edouard at Celtic. Much better than Demebele imo. One of the best unknown strikers in the world right now

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Yes his nutrition and fitness is the reason why he fluffed his lines multiple times and failed to score against ANY of the top 10 last season. He had to leave as he mentally wasn't able to compete at the time. Change of scenario has done him wonders, but we made the right decision to sell him.

We made an idiotic decision not replace him however

Devil81

What happens if Ighalo scores a hat full of goals between now and the end of the season?

M Bison

Supports
York City
Raul Jimenez for me. Put him in our side and we’re a different team altogether. Sancho to the right and Rashy on the left and we’d be up there, no doubt.

Popcorn

Richarlison Would be a good addition. Probably too expensive.

Red Keane

No way. Messi is more likely than Kane. Even Lewandowski might be more likely.
Think Calvert Lewin, Pukki, King, Ings are at the level Ole can attract.

Those are the good ones. Might even go down towards Solanke, Barnes, Joelinton, Benteke etc.
More like the level of players the Glazers can attract. I mean if someone like Radcliffe or MBS owned Manchester United, you bet Harry Kane can be convinced to sign for us (or at least see it as a better option than staying at Spurs).

croadyman

It's going to be Ighalo if we keep Ole. Regardless of whether he makes an impact. He'll be reasonably cheap, zero competition for him and they can use the narrative of 'he's a United fan, he gets the club/fits in with Ole's philosophy'.
I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised because find it very hard to believe that our board would budget for Grealish, Sancho and a top striker too, could decide to bring him in and instead decide to bring in a proper DM which I would be happy with but a proper club with ambition signs both.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Sancho

Yes he is not striker, but with Sancho on the right and Rashford on the left, we will score more goals for sure.
Let Martial and Greenwood rotate on CF role.
I'd throw Martial in as a make-weight for a top top name. Martial isn't and never will be a natural centre forward

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
People will think me mad, but not sure we will attract one of the best young natural goal-scorers ahead of the likes of Liverpool, so I wonder if vardy would be worth a punt

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'd throw Martial in as a make-weight for a top top name. Martial isn't and never will be a natural centre forward
So you'd rather we sign a top CF and play James or Greenwood on the right?
Or you think we can afford to buy everyone we want?

AneRu

I would stay with what we have, especially if Ighalo impresses and stays permanently because I regard the signings of Grealish and Sancho/another Right Winger more important as they will raise the overall creative output of the team. A prospective front three of Rashford - Martial - Sancho/productive right winger being fed by Grealish and Bruno elevates this team a level up but if Martial can't hack it again then we use the 2021 summer budget wholly on a new striker whilst Greenwood would be 18 months older and hopefully ready for a back up role.

NoPace

If we believe in Martial and Greenwood and want to spend basically the entire summer transfer budget on Grealish, a RW and a LB or CB, I could see a case for Artem Dzyuba on a free for 1-2 seasons. We might be the biggest club he could join and he is incredible in the air and so would be a nice end of game option or even a possible partner for Martial or Rashford. Slow but technically very good. Basically nothing to get excited about but he'd make a lot of sense and when we play teams with a high line can just start Rashford up top if Martial is out and James on the left