Which striker should we sign this summer?

AshRK

We would be foolish to spend money on a striker right now when we can secure Ighalo for cheap as a stop gap striker. We have greenwood, rashford and Martial. Why spend 50m on another striker when we could strengthen our rw and maybe other areas.

Pav1878

I just don't see Utd willing to pay him around £350,000 which is what he's apparently looking for
:eek: woah, ok in that case, maybe just Ighalo is fine.

Seriously, no one is gonna pay cavani that, even the Chinese or Arab clubs.

Rocknrolla69er

Yeah that would be my thinking as well, do you think that is why we haven't been that strongly linked to Aubameyang or do you see him as a very different prospect to Cavani.
I honestly dont think theres anything to the Aubameyang rumours, i think its probably agents trying to create an auction or paper talk.

Before the pandemic i think a expensive striker budget would of been one of our prioritys, i think we l play it smart by signing Sancho for a slightly reduced fee, then signing Ighalo on whats percieved as a cheap deal. I think we could sign another central midfielder using any funds from sales.

I think an expensive striker signing and centre back signing could be the summer after this one

Sea-Cow

I honestly dont think theres anything to the Aubameyang rumours, i think its probably agents trying to create an auction or paper talk.

Before the pandemic i think a expensive striker budget would of been one of our prioritys, i think we l play it smart by signing Sancho for a slightly reduced fee, then signing Ighalo on whats percieved as a cheap deal. I think we could sign another central midfielder using any funds from sales.

I think an expensive striker signing and centre back signing could be the summer after this one
Regarding Aubameyang -- I hope you're right. Don't want.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Stick to Ighalo and we won't go far wrong. So many things are to like about him, but most importantly he's a fabulous finisher who still has alot to give in his peak years.

It then allows us to use the younger crowd more often and allows all 4 Fwds to get plenty of games.

And the good thing is that all 4 are brilliant finishers in their positions!!

croadyman

Yeah would like us to be in for Partey in that CM area but all strong reports seem to suggest that Arsenal are the ones trying to sign him

ovoxo

With the recent reports of us not wanting to make Ighalo permenant for £20m, we’ve been linked with a whole host of strikers, for example the likes of Jiménez, Dembele, Pléa, and Werner.

Of those mentioned above, I can’t see them being cheap, but I believe L’Equipe stated Dembele could be available for £34m. If that’s true, then I could understand us going for him.

However, I would be content with a solid back up to play a similar Ighalo role. Especially given our need to spend money elsewhere. Maybe we’d go back in for Josh King? Who else is available as a solid back up?

Levenstein

I think Raul Jimenez would be very suitable striker for United, but cant happen with a low price.

Manutd1990

I want Dembele, because i think he has the potential to be one of the worlds best strikers..
My 2nd choice would be Haller at west ham. He could do a good job from the bench, different player from Martial, strong in the air and good link up player, similar to raul jiminez but younger.

ghagua

We should try and get Carlos Vinicius from Benfica. He is an ideal player to have to play down the middle. Does everything well, including scoring goals.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Hear me out;

I think if we don’t get Ighalo, we should try and sign Ronaldo on a 1 year deal.
Imagine the experience and professional drive he’d bring to the squad, the likes of Rashford and co would learn a lot from him. Hell we might even challenge for the league if his goals could turn those draws into wins
Juventus might be open to getting him off the books now
Ronnie might fancy one last crack at United

Champagne Football

If we can get Arnautovic or Rondon on loan for a season from China then that would be fine.

Ole might fancy a striker like Jonathon David from Gent to develop or possibly Odsonne Edouard from Celtic if the price is right.

If we can pick up Pukki or Joshua King for around 8 to 10 million then that would be good business also.

Lallana is on a bosman and might be worth picking up to play next to Bruno in certain games.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If we can get Arnautovic or Rondon on loan for a season from China then that would be fine.

Ole might fancy a striker like Jonathon David from Gent to develop or possibly Odsonne Edouard from Celtic if the price is right.

If we can pick up Pukki or Joshua King for around 8 to 10 million then that would be good business also.

Lallana is on a bosman and might be worth picking up to play next to Bruno in certain games.
David will move to the Bundesliga he’s hinted heavily that’s his preference. Great player though!

jamesjimmybyrondean

Is Pukki any good?

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'm interested to know the type of striker people think we need. I've seen different opinions. Some think we need competition for Martial eg Jimenez, Dembele, etc. Some think we need a world class striker eg Kane, Icardi. Some think we need a gem eg Edouard, David. Some think we need a striker that would be happy on the bench eg Ighalo, Rondon

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I'm interested to know the type of striker people think we need. I've seen different opinions. Some think we need competition for Martial eg Jimenez, Dembele, etc. Some think we need a world class striker eg Kane, Icardi. Some think we need a gem eg Edouard, David. Some think we need a striker that would be happy on the bench eg Ighalo, Rondon
I think ideally you’d want a Jimenez type player. No just a goalscorer but someone who offers in the build up with work rate to be competition for Martial. He’d have to come knowing he’s not going to have a starting role unless form dictates.

Dembele I think would cost too much for that with too many questions over playstyle and suitability.

Kane regardless of what people say would be an absolute dream but not realistic and I’d much rather put our proverbial eggs in Sancho’s basket.

Icardi I wouldn’t have if you paid us for having him.

Edouard isn’t a gem in my eyes but has enough about him to be worth a £20-25m punt but I’m not at all convinced he’s any better than what we have just that he’d be a cheap decent option.

David is a gem but we have Greenwood who I think is a better younger player at the moment and David seems destined for Bundesliga before anywhere else.

Id be delighted to just keep Ighalo £10m or whatever for a few seasons as he’s adapted so well and I think a lot of the time it’s better the Red Devil you know. It would also save us substantial amounts in the short term to invest in what I believe is a priority signing of Sancho who is the player I want most at the club out of all weve signed in the last 7 years.

So for me if we get Sancho (big if) it makes sense to settle for an Ighalo but without Sancho I’d expect a Jimenez or equivalent.

Drifter

American
Adama Traore is being talked about in transfer land. Yes please.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Spending more than 40m on a player that is not a significant upgrade on Martial doesn't make sense. Significant upgrades being Kane, Lewandowski, Icardi, Aubameyang, Aguero. All these names that are significant upgrades are either impossible, too expensive, too old to splash cash on or don't fit our style of
play.

Makes more sense to just buy a solid cheap backup and use him and Martial till a significant upgrade that fits us can be gotten. By then who knows maybe even Martial would be not need replacing or Greenwood would have come good

Sea-Cow

Spending more than 40m on a player that is not a significant upgrade on Martial doesn't make sense. Significant upgrades being Kane, Lewandowski, Icardi, Aubameyang, Aguero. All these names that are significant upgrades are either impossible, too expensive, too old to splash cash on or don't fit our style of
play.

Makes more sense to just buy a solid cheap backup and use him and Martial till a significant upgrade that fits us can be gotten. By then who knows maybe even Martial would be not need replacing or Greenwood would have come good
While not in the category of Kane or Aguero, Jiminez would be a significant upgrade on Martial, and would be a reasonable fee as well.

jamesjimmybyrondean

While not in the category of Kane or Aguero, Jiminez would be a significant upgrade on Martial, and would be a reasonable fee as well.
Jimenez - 16 goals 7 assists in 38 games

Martial - 15 goals 5 assists in 30 games

Jimenez may be an upgrade on Martial based on the fact that he plays more like a natural no.9 and has more to his game but I don't think he is a 'significant' upgrade. He'd be my first choice if Wolves would sell for 40m or less but I doubt that

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What is the hype with Jiminez?
Wiki stats are below average-
13 goals on 29 matches this season
13 goals In 38 matches last season
18 goals in 80 matches for Benfica :eek:
1 goal for Atletico madrid

He is 29 years old and clearly benefits from the crossing of players like traore, jota, Doherty, jonny & the deep lying playmakers/midfielders like Mourinho, neves - we play football in such a different way the guy will struggle if he moves here. Players like Rashford & Greenwood would struggle to play next to him aswell.

romufc

He is 29 years old and clearly benefits from the crossing of players like traore, jota, Doherty, jonny & the deep lying playmakers/midfielders like Mourinho, neves - we play football in such a different way the guy will struggle if he moves here. Players like Rashford & Greenwood would struggle to play next to him aswell.
He doesnt play for Manutd. that is the hype.

I can't see how fans want to spend £40m plus on a player that has similar stats to Martial and say he is an upgrade? Martial is 24 Jiminez is 29. Makes no sense at all to go for him. If you are spending £40m on Jiminez.. why not put in another £10m and go for Auby?

Sea-Cow

I disagree. I think he could lead the line and be a focal point for us and the quicker players could thrive off him. He would actually be able to hold up the ball and could occupy the CBs. I realize this isn't Martial's strength but too often he is unable to bring the ball under control and is easily brushed aside. So to me, we are too often pinned in because he is unable to fight to get a punt forward under control and allow us to get out and run off him.

Sea-Cow

He doesnt play for Manutd. that is the hype.

I can't see how fans want to spend £40m plus on a player that has similar stats to Martial and say he is an upgrade? Martial is 24 Jiminez is 29. Makes no sense at all to go for him. If you are spending £40m on Jiminez.. why not put in another £10m and go for Auby?
I am certainly guilty of overrating players from other teams, and under valuing our lads. It comes from watching them every week and being a hyper-critical, negative bastard.

Having said that, I still think Jiminez would be an upgrade as a focal point, lead the line number 9.

Bebestation

I am certainly guilty of overrating players from other teams, and under valuing our lads. It comes from watching them every week and being a hyper-critical, negative bastard.

Having said that, I still think Jiminez would be an upgrade as a focal point, lead the line number 9.
I find 'focal points' one of the weakest tactics in the modern game. Ofcourse there will always be great central strikers worth breaking every penny for or where we might have to change our first team alignment for - but Jiminez isnt one for me.

The ability for a front 3 to interchange with each other for me would be more important or impressive than a player than Jiminez in the centre and players like Rashford & Greenwood playing out wide.

Sea-Cow

I find 'focal points' one of the weakest tactics in the modern game. Ofcourse there will always be great central strikers worth breaking every penny for or where we might have to change our first team alignment for - but Jiminez isnt one for me.

The ability for a front 3 to interchange with each other for me would be more important or impressive than a player than Jiminez in the centre and players like Rashford & Greenwood playing out wide.
Fair enough, opinions and all that.

Would it be a worthwhile investment to have a "focal point" option for the sake of tactical flexibility?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I'm not trying to say we should sign Jimenez and play him because I don't see the investment as worthy. However, Jimenez's ability doesn't just allow him to play like a traditional no 9 but also play like Benzema in BBC trio, and the BCC trio was pretty impressive in modern football days.

I don't think scoring goals is his strength. His strength is bring others into play & his hold up play. I find it funny when people are talking about his goals, I remember read on Jimenez thread, a poster expected him to score 30 goals per season if we sign him.

Bebestation

I'm not trying to say we should sign Jimenez and play him because I don't see the investment as worthy. However, Jimenez's ability doesn't just allow him to play like a traditional no 9 but also play like Benzema in BBC trio, and the BCC trio was pretty impressive in modern football days.

I don't think scoring goals is his strength. His strength is bring others into play & his hold up play. I find it funny when people are talking about his goals, I remember read on Jimenez thread, a poster expected him to score 30 goals per season if we sign him.
Well I think that's also pretty unfair on Martial because his first touch and ability to hold on to the ball was epic when he got do play with Rashford and Greenwood making runs off him.

As soon as Rashford got injured Martial had to become the 'leading line CF" which he never was & he started struggling with his first touch because he had less and less inside forwards playing off him and he had to become more the poacher type.

That's why people think his first touch is average. There was this spell when Rashford was on form - people were absolutely amazed by Martial's first touch playing just deep off the central defenders.

If he's not a goal scorer- that's even a worse reason to bring him in, he does something that we dont particularly miss.

We need a different type of striker to Martial because Martial is good and different at what he does as a false 9 player and a very useful player to have in the squad. Ole knew what he was doing going for Haaland, a left footed goalscorer with his senses. Leaves us with 2 right footed forwards, 2 left footed forwards, capable of playing in partnerships and different abilities.

Going for a player like Jiminez doesnt add anything significantly different.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well I think that's also pretty unfair on Martial because his first touch and ability to hold on to the ball was epic when he got do play with Rashford and Greenwood making runs off him.

As soon as Rashford got injured Martial had to become the 'leading line CF" which he never was & he started struggling with his first touch because he had less and less inside forwards playing off him and he had to become more the poacher type.

That's why people think his first touch is average. There was this spell when Rashford was on form - people were absolutely amazed by Martial's first touch playing just deep off the central defenders.

If he's not a goal scorer- that's even a worse reason to bring him in, he does something that we dont particularly miss.

We need a different type of striker to Martial because Martial is good and different at what he does as a false 9 player and a very useful player to have in the squad. Ole knew what he was doing going for Haaland, a left footed goalscorer with his senses. Leaves us with 2 right footed forwards, 2 left footed forwards, capable of playing in partnerships and different abilities.

Going for a player like Jiminez doesnt add anything significantly different.
I don't know what you are moaning about Martial on my post when I said nothing about Martial.

I was specifically referring to your view about Jimenez. People who viewed him on goals was wrong because it was never his strength. Jimenez actually offer something different to Martial on aspect of aerial duel & height which also something Haland has. There is a reason why I compare Jimenez to Benzema more than Firmino, much more athletic. Whoever the striker we'll bring this summer, it's very unlikely to be someone that is worth to buy to replace Martial.

Bebestation

I don't know what you are moaning about Martial on my post when I said nothing about Martial.

I was specifically referring to your view about Jimenez. People who viewed him on goals was wrong because it was never his strength. Jimenez actually offer something different to Martial on aspect of aerial duel & height which also something Haland has. There is a reason why I compare Jimenez to Benzema more than Firmino, much more athletic. Whoever the striker we'll bring this summer, it's very unlikely to be someone that is worth to buy to replace Martial.
So Haaland plays like Benzema in your eyes?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't watch Bundesliga at all so I don't know much, if anything about Werner other than looking at stats and team sheets. And the one thing that has stood is is that on those team sheets he is almost always listed as a left sided attacker, which is exactly what we don't need. Am I missing something here??

My choice would be to make a big bid to BVB for Halland to see if they can be tempted. If not, then Jonathan David looks like a good prospect, mind you I am Canadian and may be a bit biased

Bebestation

Never say such a thing, do you know how to read?
Who actually crosses in our team and where will we use this height? Who is going to ping the balls out from the back? Maguire and Lindelof? Fred,Mctomminay & Pogba aren't exactly the Best deep lying playmakers either.

So Jiminez is not a goal scorer but is a player with height and good first touch.

I think we play better football on the floor personally.
Our current best team is is

Rashford- Martial-Greenwood
Bruno -Fred -pogba
Shaw-Maguire-Lindelof-AWB

I dont see what height and minimal goals brings to that when that team is not exactly the best towards playing to a target man is it?

Im crazy for having a clinical striker, but bringing a player who has height/first touch and scores no goals and is their to make other players around him better sounds a bit like what people say about Martial.

Just keep Martial then as our false 9 option and get a proper clinical number 9 who just knows where the goal is with his eyes closed and makes runs to tricks defenders to get in to the right spaces which what Haaland actually is.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Who actually crosses in our team and where will we use this height? Who is going to ping the balls out from the back? Maguire and Lindelof? Fred,Mctomminay & Pogba aren't exactly the Best deep lying playmakers either.

So Jiminez is not a goal scorer but is a player with height and good first touch.

I think we play better football on the floor personally.
Our current best team is is

Rashford- Martial-Greenwood
Bruno -Fred -pogba
Shaw-Maguire-Lindelof-AWB

I dont see what height and minimal goals brings to that when that team is not exactly the best towards playing to a target man is it?

Im crazy for having a clinical striker, but bringing a player who has height/first touch and scores no goals and is their to make other players around him better sounds a bit like what people say about Martial.

Just keep Martial then as our false 9 option and get a proper clinical number 9 who just knows where the goal is with his eyes closed and makes runs to tricks defenders to get in to the right spaces which what Haaland actually is.
You got some issue.

What about you take a nap first, wake up, carefully re-read my first post and see where I said we should buy Jimenez. So far every your replies have no connection to mine. You are moaning for no reason and it's sad.