Who are the greatest Jack of all trades, master of none players throughout history?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I’m going to start the bidding with one Phillip Cocu. Can I get a raise on Phillip Cocu?

Ribble Valley Red

Niclas Alexandersson, formerly off Sheff Wed, Everton and West Ham. In one version of Champ Manager he could every position except GK!

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Luis Enrique?

Edit: James Milner wasn't too bad as a team player over a gruelling season.

The White Pele

James Milner as already mentioned is probably the most obvious example I can think of. Could play full-back, wide midfield, central midfield and number 10 to a good level, whilst never really being top class in any of those positions.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Controversial- Javier Zanetti, played all positions (full back, wing back, winger) on both flanks, could do a good job in the midfield.
He was certainly a master of many traits though.

Ole'sattheWheel

Cliche I know but everyone always says rooney in this conversation for a reason. Had the physicality, tenacity, understanding and skill to play anywhere

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
Now do you mean

"the kind of player who is a solid 7/10 across several positions"

or

"the player who is 9/10 in their best position, but so talented that they are 8/10 and 7/10 in others as well"
eg - Gullit. Or that Cruyff chap.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Phil Neville was someone who was decent in a lot of places but not defined by one specifically.
Was going to say him… FB, central MF, wide MF, master of the step over. Had it all.

Sergi Roberto?

Im sure I remember a quote about a United player like ”he played every position bar goalie” but can’t remember who? Byrne and Foulkes changed a bit but there’s someone else

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Now do you mean

or

"the player who is 9/10 in their best position, but so talented that they are 8/10 and 7/10 in others as well"
That reminds me of someone… Ruud Krol. Played a few positions and (like a lot of his teammates), comfortable almost everywhere but even more so than the other ‘Total football’ players.

And a good Top Trumps card too.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Now do you mean

or

I think he means the former. Players who were decent in a fair few amount of roles but never a game changer.

Nico87

Paul Warhurst could play centre defence, midfield or centre forward, all adequately but not stand out in any.

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
Philipp Lahm.
Played everywhere but ST and GK.

As someone else said, Alaba, close 2nd.
Both similar. Alaba has played LB, CB, LM/LW, RM, CAM/CM/CDM and iirc was moved to RB once, was just as solid. Just wasn't officially RB and never played RM/W.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Now do you mean

or

1st. The other would be masterful players who are exceptional in multiple positions, which Gullit always tends to win and is probably the most effective and imposing 1-player xi.

Cocu could, quite literally, do a job in any position given to him. A really remarkable player in that sense, but he doesn’t have renown for any particular skill set, position or attribute.

Oranges038

Ambrosini - pretty sure he spent the majority of his career at AC but got moved around the team quite a lot.

Geremi - played right back, right wing, midfield etc and played them all well.

Ashley young as well, could play either wing, in the centre or right or left back.

IRELANDUNITED

Steven Gerrard? Could play in CM, DM, AM RW and second striker but wasn’t really elite in any position.

didz

Steven Gerrard? Could play in CM, DM, AM RW and second striker but wasn’t really elite in any position.
I was gonna say him on the basis that he had really good qualities that were heavily caveated. Like he was a good passer.. of hospital balls. Would be everywhere.. where he shouldn't be. Could beat a man for fun.. so long as it was a DJ.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Philipp Lahm.
Played everywhere but ST and GK.

As someone else said, Alaba, close 2nd.
Both similar. Alaba has played LB, CB, LM/LW, RM, CAM/CM/CDM and iirc was moved to RB once, was just as solid. Just wasn't officially RB and never played RM/W.
I think both are far too good for this question, especially Lahm who's probbaly the greatest RB in German history. Alaba is closer but even then he was a world class LB at Bayern that was also incredibly versatile.