Who are the greatest Jack of all trades, master of none players throughout history?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Sheasy is a great shout. Put keeper gloves on him, problem solved! Send him up against Almunia, no problema! That chip over Almunia was magical. CB, LB, RB, any midfield position, piece of cake. Front line, give the man the ball.
You have players who’re first name on the starting 11 and there you’ve O’Shea who’ll be the first name on the squad.

dazjoe

Ashley Young would be my shout. Wasn't top class in any position, but played both wings, both full backs, both wing backs and as a striker. Great option to have on the bench knowing he covers at least 5 positions.
From memory Clayton Blackmore could play a few positions too, without ever really nailing down one.

dazjoe

Didn't Carragher start life as a midfielder, after playing there went and played all across the back 4.

Was pretty much just a centre half so not sure if "utility" would cover him, but Jagielka was such a solid keeper that Sheff Utd often didn't even pick a sub keeper, keeping the spot free for another outfield player as Jags would just go in goal if needed

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yaya Toure is the most complete midfielder the PL has ever seen.

Thiagoal

I remember when it was in fashion for centre forwards to double up as central defenders! Chris Sutton and Dion Dublin were probably the most high profile ones!

United then brought about the new fashion of converting attacking wingers into full backs (Valencia and Young)

IRELANDUNITED

I was gonna say him on the basis that he had really good qualities that were heavily caveated. Like he was a good passer.. of hospital balls. Would be everywhere.. where he shouldn't be. Could beat a man for fun.. so long as it was a DJ.
And the man went out with an absolute bang, fitting of his career at Liverpool… with a 6-1 defeat to Stoke.

Glorio

I think O'Shea did alright as a full back either side, but I don't think he ever looked comfortable in midfield. Was a wild period when we had him and Giggs in midfield! :lol:

Hughes35

Players like Young, Phil Neville and Milner are the obvious ones. Really made the most of what talent they had, played multiple positions at the top level and won trophies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think Cocu is a good pick for this idea, but if Lahm, Alaba, Seedorf, Zanetti are being considered too good, then i wouldn't have Cocu either. imo he was a better overall footballer than all of those players in terms of his skillset and tactical awareness, which is why despite being versatile, three of them ended up in less tactically and technically demanding defensive positions far more often. While Cocu was often tasked with being one of the players running the game in different midfield roles; i can't say i was convinced by Lahm as an elite midfielder at all, but saw Cocu in many games with stacked lineups where i thought he arguably played the best. Seedorf had similar talent and more athletic ability; probably more potential overall, but was imo a lot more hit and miss in his consistency until later in his career, which is a partly why he ended up playing a bit-part role at WC 98 and Euro 2000.
Cocu was too good for this kind of thread. He was a master of many things and a top class player.

Milner seems like the quintessence of the thread.

I'd pick Phil Neville over o'shea. he ended up a handy midfielder in the end.
These are interesting takes given there’s never any comment or fanfare around Cocu and all the other players in the first post are variably regarded in terms of greatness either in contemporary scaling or all-time (Lahm, Zanetti).

Cocu carved out a niche for himself by being an exceptional utility player, essentially, where as all the others are known first and foremost for a primary position.

To be honest, it’s an interesting take that he’s above the threshold for the thread.

Would love to hear others’ takes on this.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Cocu carved out a niche for himself by being an exceptional utility player, essentially, where as all the others are known first and foremost for a primary position.
He also carved a nice for himself as a first team midfielder in a title winning Barcelona side.

LInkash

Can someone take the football manager database, grab all the players in the top 5 leagues, calculate the average value for each attribute across all these players and then find the player that is closest to having mean value for each attribute?

LInkash

Well, here's what ChatGPT says:

James Milner: Known for his work rate, versatility, and ability to play multiple positions across midfield and defense.
Dirk Kuyt: Renowned for his tireless work ethic, versatility to play as a winger, forward, or even as a full-back, and knack for scoring important goals.
Ji-Sung Park: Praised for his high energy levels, tactical intelligence, and ability to perform various roles in midfield or on the wing.
Emre Can: Versatile midfielder capable of playing in various positions including central midfield, defensive midfield, or even in defense.
Phil Neville: Notable for his adaptability to play in multiple positions, including midfield, full-back, and center-back, during his career.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think to be the best utility player you need to be comfortable outwide and in the centre. So O'Shea, Cocu, Phil Neville and Phil Jones are the best (excluding Javier Zanetti and Lahm who were just awesome).

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
Hasan Salihamidžić, maybe? I recollect him playing in every position other than centre-half. Great utility player, but not a star.
That´s a good shout. But it´s so obviously Milner that it could be re-named to a James of all trades. How the talent tides have turned. I remember the U21 Euros final of 2008 that became the core for Germany´s Golden Generation. Milner was the only standout English player. If you look back at that England starting 11 today, Milner could probably have had a better career than all the other starters in their respective position from goalkeeper to striker, if he played their positions. :lol:

Reactions: Cheimoon

Boavista

That´s a good shout. But it´s so obviously Milner that it could be re-named to a James of all trades. How the talent tides have turned. I remember the U21 Euros final of 2008 that became the core for Germany´s Golden Generation. Milner was the only standout English player. If you look back at that England starting 11 today, Milner could probably have had a better career than all the other starters in their respective position from goalkeeper to striker, if he played their positions. :lol:
Looking at that 2009 U21 Euros final, another player who fits that jack of all trades master of none label would be Gonzalo Castro? Not spectacular anywhere, but very useful across many positions.

Lotthat Mattheus? CB.CM.AM
Don't think a player considered to be among the greatest players of all time can be called a master of none.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Good shout though i feel like the Dutch had many of them. Even Kuytt could be considered one. Guess it fits with their approach to footie that you need to have experience playing just about any position.
Shit at all trades

troylocker

The obvious ones for me is James Milner (every pos except GK) and Gareth Barry (DCM, CM, CB, LM and LB without any x-factor). The England WC 2010 right side midfield consisting of these two, is one of the most boring, uninspiring and toothless pairings I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
These are interesting takes given there’s never any comment or fanfare around Cocu and all the other players in the first post are variably regarded in terms of greatness either in contemporary scaling or all-time (Lahm, Zanetti).

To be honest, it’s an interesting take that he’s above the threshold for the thread.

Cocu’s versatility is a bonus but fundamentally he was a brilliant central midfielder for Barcelona and Holland. Over 100 caps in midfield despite jostling with Davids, Seedorf, Winter, De Boer, Van Bommel, Gio, Van der Vaart, etc for a spot.

G-manc

Does anyone remember Paul Warhurst who was at Oldham and Sheff Wednesday? played defence, midfield and striker from what I recall.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I'd agree he's a player that seems to go under the radar. I've thought he was underestimated since his time at Barca, though I'm not sure what opinion of him is in the Netherlands itself.

I thought of him as someone who was excellent in a variety of midfield roles (including side-midfielder/winger to a lesser extent) primarily. Tactically and technically of a very high standard...passing technique, vision, organising/tempo-dictating ability. A player you could rely on to use the ball very well while also being a very hard-working leader figure who was very solid defensively. He had that "plays capably almost anywhere" utility player versatility, but I do think he was a great midfielder first and foremost, just as Lahm, Zanetti, and others that could play well in midfield were primarily great wide players.

Maybe the fact that Barcelona were inconsistent during his time there and sandwiched in between more successful times has gone against perception of him; as an individual, I thought he was their best midfielder and a steadying hand stopping further issues during most of that era.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He also carved a nice for himself as a first team midfielder in a title winning Barcelona side.
Cocu’s versatility is a bonus but fundamentally he was a brilliant central midfielder for Barcelona and Holland. Over 100 caps in midfield despite jostling with Davids, Seedorf, Winter, De Boer, Van Bommel, Gio, Van der Vaart, etc for a spot.
I'd agree he's a player that seems to go under the radar. I've thought he was underestimated since his time at Barca, though I'm not sure what opinion of him is in the Netherlands itself.

I thought of him as someone who was excellent in a variety of midfield roles (including side-midfielder/winger to a lesser extent) primarily. Tactically and technically of a very high standard...passing technique, vision, organising/tempo-dictating ability. A player you could rely on to use the ball very well while also being a very hard-working leader figure who was very solid defensively. He had that "plays capably almost anywhere" utility player versatility, but I do think he was a great midfielder first and foremost, just as Lahm, Zanetti, and others that could play well in midfield were primarily great wide players.

Maybe the fact that Barcelona were inconsistent during his time there and sandwiched in between more successful times has gone against perception of him; as an individual, I thought he was their best midfielder and a steadying hand stopping further issues during most of that era.
To be fair, this support for Cocu is great. I would argue he got by via just being so smart and tidy and of course via really impressive in-game awareness and versatility, but it's a matter of perspective as to whether that's 'enough'. Seedorf's massive lull would be what I'd put forward as the main reason for Cocu featuring as much as he did, but I guess ultimately that's not Cocu's fault.

I will put forward that I like Cocu and am not trying to diminish or denigrate, just surprised about the backlash! :D and, it's kinda funny removing the player who the thread was made in mind of!

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Lucas Vasquez: The guy played over 300 matches as a Real Madrid player and played every "flank" position. He has previously played right-winger, sometimes as a left-winger, right wing-forward in 4-3-3, right-winger in 4-4-2, and left-back. Currently, he mainly plays as an RB. I would consider him a "jack of all trades".

Kevin Großkreutz: One of the most versatile players in the early 2010s decade. The guy who could play both sides of full-backs, SMF, central-midfielder. He also occasionally played defensive midfielder, CB, and even wing-forward.

Piotr ZIELIŃSKI: This guy could play almost everything in midfielder roles be it AMF, SMF, CMF, and could even play as wing-forward too.

Marcos Llorente: One of the most versatile players in the modern football. Right now, he is deployed by Cholo as a right-midfielder, central midfielder, right-back, attacking midfielder, or even striker. In Real Madrid, he played as a defensive midfielder and central midfielder.

For guys like Milner, Kuyt, and Park. Everyone mentions it a lot.

Old-guys

Rainer Bonhof: He could play both sides of full-backs, central midfielder, defensive midfielder and center back.

Mario Stanic: I would consider him in this category too. This guy could play at SMF, AM, WF, FB, WB, SS/CF. Almost every position that he had experienced its.

Stefano Fiore: A forgotten Lazio player, he could play as any kind of midfielder.

Antonello Cuccureddu: The guy who could play as any kind of defender and midfielder. He mainly played as a fullback.

Helmut Kremers: A very versatile player who could play as a fullback, center-back, and midfielder.

Cocu was an excellent shout too.

Reactions: Fortitude

Mr.Plow

Phil Jones - defender, midfielder and corner kick extraordonaire