Who are the greatest Jack of all trades, master of none players throughout history?

Valencia Shin Crosses

1st. The other would be masterful players who are exceptional in multiple positions, which Gullit always tends to win and is probably the most effective and imposing 1-player xi.

Cocu could, quite literally, do a job in any position given to him. A really remarkable player in that sense, but he doesn’t have renown for any particular skill set, position or attribute.
Cocu is probably the best answer you'll find I think, and Milner is the 2nd best shout I've seen in here (or can think of).

kaku06

Seedorf? Played many positions even on the wings.
Ruud Gullit?

diarm

I was gonna say him on the basis that he had really good qualities that were heavily caveated. Like he was a good passer.. of hospital balls. Would be everywhere.. where he shouldn't be. Could beat a man for fun.. so long as it was a DJ.
:lol:

This is excellent work.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
McTominay has been basically a centre-back and striker for Scotland while he has usually played as an holding midfielder for United, if we are going by positions.

Federico Valverde (all though I must admit I haven't watched him religously) has always struck me as a player that is very good at most aspects of the game but you are not really sure what his best qualities as a footballer are. Also could probably do a job anywhere across the pitch based on his skill-set.

Maybe stretching at a bit, but Pep has basically used Bernardo Silva as his own jack of all trades. Balancing issues in the middle of the park, put him next to Rodri holding. De Bruyne out, give Bernardo his position. Plays both wings if Pep wants someone to stretch the field and keep the ball and rhythm. Also was one of the first Pep tried in the Stones role resulting in him playing left-back to a decent enough standard in multiple games including an away win at the Emirates

Lesser known one but Fredrik Aursnes at Benfica can do basically whatever you want from him in midfield against whatever level of competition he comes up against but certainly doesn't have a defined world-class trait

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I’m going to start the bidding with one Phillip Cocu. Can I get a raise on Phillip Cocu?
Good shout though i feel like the Dutch had many of them. Even Kuytt could be considered one. Guess it fits with their approach to footie that you need to have experience playing just about any position.

Loon

:lol:
Paul Warhurst could play centre defence, midfield or centre forward, all adequately but not stand out in any.
It's true, but there was one point at Wednesday when you thought every week, "Sunbed's scored AGAIN!"

thedano

Clayton Blackmore is who someone was thinking of earlier, sure I read back when teams used to use numbers 1-11 in the positions, he was the only person to play in every number except number 1

Boavista

Milner is a good shout.

Also because no one has mentioned them yet, Marcos Llorente and Hamit Altintop?

Jund

If we're discussing a player that you can just shove into a position and get 15 minutes of a decent performance - deffo O'Shea.

If we're talking about a player who could be a defender when you need one, a midfielder, winger or even a striker, that'll be Milner, Rooney, Lahm for me.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Cuccureddu was pretty good. Played in every position bar the keeper’s (and wasn’t a truly special player in any of them).

KeanoMagicHat

Thomas Muller
Surely Muller is more the opposite, not very good at a lot of traditional things for an attacking midfielder/second striker like dribbling, pace, close control. But really good at attacking positioning and intelligence. They even gave him his own name for his position 'raumdeuter'.

James Milner comes to mind for me. Quite good at everything - decent passer, decent shot, decent defensively, good physique, reasonable pace. Can't think of anything he was outstanding at apart from maybe durability or physical fitness if you want to count them.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I think Cocu is a good pick for this idea, but if Lahm, Alaba, Seedorf, Zanetti are being considered too good, then i wouldn't have Cocu either. imo he was a better overall footballer than all of those players in terms of his skillset and tactical awareness, which is why despite being versatile, three of them ended up in less tactically and technically demanding defensive positions far more often. While Cocu was often tasked with being one of the players running the game in different midfield roles; i can't say i was convinced by Lahm as an elite midfielder at all, but saw Cocu in many games with stacked lineups where i thought he arguably played the best. Seedorf had similar talent and more athletic ability; probably more potential overall, but was imo a lot more hit and miss in his consistency until later in his career, which is a partly why he ended up playing a bit-part role at WC 98 and Euro 2000.

lex talionis

It's definitely O Shea, not even close
Sheasy is a great shout. Put keeper gloves on him, problem solved! Send him up against Almunia, no problema! That chip over Almunia was magical. CB, LB, RB, any midfield position, piece of cake. Front line, give the man the ball.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Cocu was too good for this kind of thread. He was a master of many things and a top class player.

Milner seems like the quintessence of the thread.

I'd pick Phil Neville over o'shea. he ended up a handy midfielder in the end.

Glorio

A different spin, Paul Pogba :nervous:

In his case, all trades beyond the halfway line

Revan

Assumptionman
Fergie loves these types of players. O'Shea, Park, P. Neville, Jones to name a few.

Since Fergie left, I guess Daley Blind. Played to a decent level as left back, left-wing, CB and DMF.

Milner is the first player it comes to my mind when it comes to EPL. I think Nacho (who captains Madrid) plays everywhere in defense.