Who are the greatest Jack of all trades, master of none players throughout history?

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
The problem with Lothar, Zanetti and even Lahm it's that there were masters sometimes at even more than one role, so that excludes them. It's like namig the recently dead Brehme.

PD: for me Zanetti was such a perfect Dinamic 8, I trully think that he could have been an increible goalscorer at such role too (yet he had to be less generous in order to pull that out and I duno if that was in his system). He became one of the best fullbacks ever, but I can't forget when as a kid I watched him bossed my team Boca as an 8 like if he was playing against 11 cones, even as rivals, we were all in owe watching such a beast.

didz

Can someone take the football manager database, grab all the players in the top 5 leagues, calculate the average value for each attribute across all these players and then find the player that is closest to having mean value for each attribute?
I'd guess the answer would be Mikel Merino

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Steven Gerrard? Could play in CM, DM, AM RW and second striker but wasn’t really elite in any position.
My choice too, In the 2005 CL final he even played RB for some minutes and shut down Serginho

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
João Moutinho.
Like someone once described him he's an expert at hiding/covering his weaknesses, he ends up so well rounded that he is better than the sum of his strengths.

midou

Many good shouts here.

I quite liked Owen Hargreaves as someone who could cover most defensive and midfield positions, such a shame about the injuries. According to Transfermarkt

Defensive Midfield 128
Right Midfield 48
Central Midfield 17
Right-Back 11
Left-Back 6
Left Midfield 3

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Zinchenko
To be fair, he is a pretty decent midfielder masquerading as a left-back in systems meant to protect him, but still managing to look like a pretty shit defender most of the time. I'd argue he is the excact opposite of a jack of all trades, considering he has built a career at this level playing a very specific role.

GueRed

John O'Shea - LB,RB,CB,DM,CM...GK!

Ashley Young - LW,RW,SS,RB,LB

Phil Neville - RB,LB,DM

Clayton Blackmore - RB,LB,DM,CM,RM - Growing up as a versatile defensive player myself playing for my school teams i kind of looked up to Blackmore :D

Blood Mage

Arturo Vidal. Really wish we could have seen him in a United shirt at his peak.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Arturo Vidal. Really wish we could have seen him in a United shirt at his peak.
No way. He was class in his prime. Definitely not a jack of all trades type player surely.

KeanoMagicHat

No way. He was class in his prime. Definitely not a jack of all trades type player surely.
Yeah seems people are mixing up all rounder for Jack of all trades, master of none. Just because you can play multiple positions and don’t have weaknesses doesn’t mean you haven’t mastered skills. Vidal ‘mastered’ several skills.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I love the guy but Park is one.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
My choice too, In the 2005 CL final he even played RB for some minutes and shut down Serginho
Nah. Gerrard was easily world class at AM, throw him in there now and he'd be a 150m player minimum. Biased maybe, but he was made to play AM or just off the CF.

Edit. Might have misunderstood your post, my comment was more aimed at having him as a 'jack of all trades, master of none'.

JediSith

Technically a Jack of all Trades master of none footballer would have be a less talented, none world class version, of a player like Gullit.

Daley Blind comes to mind, can play CB, LB, CDM, CM but not the more attacking positions unlike Gullit who was basically a CB, CDM, CM, ACM, and could probably play wide positions too. My bet the answer is likely a Dutch player from the Ajax system.

NoPace

Philipp Lahm.
Played everywhere but ST and GK.

As someone else said, Alaba, close 2nd.
Both similar. Alaba has played LB, CB, LM/LW, RM, CAM/CM/CDM and iirc was moved to RB once, was just as solid. Just wasn't officially RB and never played RM/W.
You can sort of see a 27 year old Alaba playing 9 positions fairly well in a lopsided 4-4-2 or Scotland's formation, with one right-footer for width on that flank:

----------------Alaba--------------
-------------------------Alaba------
Alaba-Alaba-Alaba-------RW
Alaba-Alaba-Alaba--Alaba

----------------Alaba--------------
----------Alaba------Alaba------
------------Alaba-Alaba-----
Alaba--Alaba-Alaba-Alaba-RWB

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Some of the names on here are ridiculous. I’m not sure if the term jack of all trades, master of none is understood by most people on here.

How can the likes of Rooney, Alaba, Gerrard, Vidal etc be mentioned here

Glorio

Master of man marking.
Weird take I know, but I genuinely feel Park played within himself throughout his time at United. Was an incredibly exciting attacking winger prior, then arrived at United and seemed to just embrace and rely on graft (with some quality obviously).