Who are the greatest villains football has ever seen? Candidates for this gen': Suárez and Ramos

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Maybe i'm looking through my Ajax glasses too much, but I think every team in Europe has at least one player with exactly his kind of behaviour. Apart from the injury incident off course. But seeing this video about an incident that occured two years ago pop up on this site twice this last week, felt a little like a personal vendetta. So maybe you're looking at him with your Feyenoord glasses too much.
I'm not above admitting that where Veltman a Feyenoord player I would probably at least somewhat applaud his thuggery. It's as you say, when they play for you, you love them, if not, you hate them. Currently at Feyenoord we have Steven Berghuis who can be an absolute twat at times and for all his sportsmanship and eloquence RVP is still prone to losing his head when the going gets tough sometimes. I don't think Veltman is on the level of Suarez by the way, just to be clear :) Veltman seems like a nice enough guy outside the pitch.

@Henrik Larsson

That's a good one, I loved that one too by the way. Goes to show I dislike Ronaldo more than Veltman. Ola Toivonen, yes ukh, that was a massive tit as well. From current PSV I don't exactly love Lozano, to put it mildly.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Who was the prat that was rolling around on the floor like he'd had both his legs broken with his hands on his face and you saw him open his hands briefly to see where the ref was and then began rolling again?

Rito

Supports
Chelsea
Who was the prat that was rolling around on the floor like he'd had both his legs broken with his hands on his face and you saw him open his hands briefly to see where the ref was and then began rolling again?
Busquets/ David luiz

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
David Luiz and Busquets.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Not worthy of the thread in totality but Rivaldo did have his horrific moment of being hit with a ball on his leg and in turn clutching his face as if he was hit with a bazooka point blank.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They'd be close to the top of my cheat wanker list then. Turds. Can't look past Suarez/Costa though right?
For me Suarez is on the level of his own, like Messi is god of Football, Suarez is god of cnuts.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Zlatan? He comes across as a bully. I think I just read an article the other day about him being a dick to some guy in the opposing team.

shaky

Costa by a mile. Suarez can be a dirty cheating feck sometimes, and Ramos can be too when needed, but Costa will go on to the pitch and intentionally be an abusive cnut to everyone, all game long. That's his game plan for every game and every opponent.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Some of the players mentioned were/are cnuts, but with a purpose, and more importantly an absolute loyalty to their team and cause. Terry wasn't a nice individual off the pitch, but he would die for Chelsea, was a clean footballer and just doesn't measure up in overall shithousery to those in the tier above him in the shithousery stakes (let's keep this about football and not the extra curricular).
Saurez boasts a longer rap sheet and a broader portfolio of shithousery. But he too had a purpose - driven by an absolute will to win - and will do whatever it takes to make sure that happens.

Thinking about it though, there are a few different kinds of shithouses:
  • The violent shithouse - Kevin Muscat is probably the best example, having carried out multiple leg-breaking challenges in his career, and used that as a threat to impose himself on his opposition number.
  • The calculated and cunning shithouse - plenty of candidates from the current generation (Ramos, Busquets, Costa and others), covering both diving and the sneaky off-the-ball dig/wind-up. Stellar past examples include Materazzi and Gentile.
  • The dubious character shithouse - loyal and committed on the park, bereft of integrity off it. See Terry, Giggs.
  • The selfish shithouse - out for himself, bears overblown grudges, and happy to feck his team over if his ego gets too hurt. See Emmanuel Adebayor and Joey Barton.
  • The panto villain shithouse - dedicated to his own team and revels in acting the twat to wind up the opposition support. Best current examples - Ashley Barnes and Scott Brown.
It takes a special kind of shithouse to shine in all of these categories.

The Original

Suarez of course. Biting, diving, that handball, racism, that squirly fecking face, the man has it all.

I do however think a less well known guy deserves a shout; Joel Veltman.

This is just one of his gems, but the guy is an utter cnut. Though I suppose he won't make the cut since he's not actually a very good football player. Now that he's on the verge of playing a CL final I think the world deserves to know about the state of this fecker.
Considering the fact that the opponent has just deliberately fouled his teammate to kill an attack I wouldn't consider what he did to be that bad.

James Hond

Supports
Ajax
Zlatan? He comes across as a bully. I think I just read an article the other day about him being a dick to some guy in the opposing team.
Don't know about that, but he did bully Van der Vaart when they were teammates at Ajax. Does that count? This and all these sweet Suarez memories remind me of another funny story with Suarez. I think it was the summer of 2010 when Ajax contracted Mounir El Hamdaoui. It was quite a big deal at the time, a few years earlier he became topscorer and champions of the Dutch league with AZ, and he was considered as one of the best strikers of the Eredivisie. The first time he enterred the dressing room he asked where his spot was. Suarez jokingly pointed to the toilet.
They never became friends after that incident

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Don't know about that, but he did bully Van der Vaart when they were teammates at Ajax. Does that count? This and all these sweet Suarez memories remind me of another funny story with Suarez. I think it was the summer of 2010 when Ajax contracted Mounir El Hamdaoui. It was quite a big deal at the time, a few years earlier he became topscorer and champions of the Dutch league with AZ, and he was considered as one of the best strikers of the Eredivisie. The first time he enterred the dressing room he asked where his spot was. Suarez jokingly pointed to the toilet.
They never became friends after that incident
Didn't Mido also throw a pair of scissors in Zlatan's face or something during that period?

swred

Vinnie Jones.
Arsenal used to hate RVN.
Utd used to hate Viera.
Balotelli?

Inter Yer Nan

Suarez is despicable and a clear #1 for me. Only if it emerges there's a player of similar ethics and turns out to be a pedophile or a murderer could there be worse than him IMO.

I hate Liverpool and laughed at his antics but it really sums him up the way he acted in that game. No respect or a second thought about the cheating, the trying to get players booked or worse and his general antics over the course of the game. I think it's fine to celebrate against your ex-team but he seemed to deliberately go overboard which was poor taste but for him par for the course. I think what's worse about the Liverpool stuff is that they were willing to become (more of) a laughing stock in defending him and totally embarrassing themselves with the t-shirts and the campaigns only for him to feck off once a better team gave a sniff. That's low, low class.

Inter Yer Nan

How incredible is it that the racist biting cnut was worshipped like a God but has become a villain just because he celebrated scoring a goal in the CL SF against a team he left half a decade ago?

Scouser eh
That is incredible. You can be racist, kick players, bite players, be the worst diver in the history of the league, be just a horrible player and be a god and worshiped but celebrate a semi-final goal and you are the worst. Brilliant.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Neymar
Pepe
Luis Suarez
Zidane
Keane
Maradona
Cantona
Roberto Rojas
Liverpool fans
Italian National Team
José Sanfilippo

Supports
Ajax
Half of Southern Europe and South America. :p

Speaking of rolling.

Neymar.

EDIT: As for diving, check out the last two in this little list. That Tomasson dive...

Last edited:

Inter Yer Nan

Just going off the players from my lifetime (started watching in 1990 when I was 5) this is my FC cnut XI : -

Valdes

Dani Alves
Ramos
Terry
Pepe
Jordi Alba

Busquets
Barton

Neymar
Suarez
Salah

Bench: Cheilini, Materazzi, Thatcher Van Bommell, Effenberg, Costa, Di Maria

Hard time with the GK - Lehman was a massive prick or could have been easy to go to a default option which would be a Liverpool goalie but Valdes was annoying. Always mouthing off and running distances to complain and try to influence ref's.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It has to be Suarez - Racism, horror tackles, Liverpool legend (perhaps not anymore :lol:) and cannibalism cannot be topped.

The guy is pure evil, the ultimate villain.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sergio is a damn superhero, i don't know what the feck y'all are talking about :drool::drool::drool:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Kevin Muscat springs to mind.

In the more honorable "master of the dark arts" end, Carvalho deserves a shout. Always seemed to find ways to do whatever he wanted in the ref's blind angle.

Pagh Wraith

Costa by a mile. Suarez can be a dirty cheating feck sometimes, and Ramos can be too when needed, but Costa will go on to the pitch and intentionally be an abusive cnut to everyone, all game long. That's his game plan for every game and every opponent.
It's impressive how much on edge he can be in the first minute of a match. I do find him hilarious, though.

SAFMUTD

Neymar, he is the lord of the divers and moaners. I hate cheaters and he is the biggest one.

Robertd0803

Sergio is a damn superhero, i don't know what the feck y'all are talking about :drool::drool::drool:
I second this. Ramos is sporting and a proper role model to young footballers everywhere. See the Champions League final last season for an example of such.