Who are the greatest villains football has ever seen? Candidates for this gen': Suárez and Ramos

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Some of the players mentioned were/are cnuts, but with a purpose, and more importantly an absolute loyalty to their team and cause. Terry wasn't a nice individual off the pitch, but he would die for Chelsea, was a clean footballer and just doesn't measure up in overall shithousery to those in the tier above him in the shithousery stakes (let's keep this about football and not the extra curricular).

Suarez by contrast:

• Shows zero allegiance to former clubs where he was adored and which provided him the platform to move on from (as Liverpool found out to their ire last night).
  • Will do any and everything to get an opposing player carded or sent off.
  • Has horrendously assaulted an opponent; more than one incident, but this is the worst of them all:
  • Has bitten 3 different players at different times on the pitch!
  • Has racially abused an opponent.
  • Has deliberately hand-balled a definite goal in a World Cup quarter-final game. Absolutely unrepentant about it, too.

Please provide more if I'm forgetting anything. I mean, a lot of the other players where nasty or infamous for one incident, or maybe even two, but Suarez? Where does the shithousery actually end? And he's been like this ever since he got to Europe, so no doubt there will be more incidents during his formative years in Uruguay.

ROFLUTION

Nah. It is not WWE. I rather just see good Football. Someone like Mark Van Bommel single handedly ruined a good deal of Football matches. And even though they are capable of brilliance the PL became more fun to watch once Suarez and Diego Costa were not a part of it.
Well that's just.. your.. opinion man

Hope you had a great time too when Eric retired :drool:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Also — Roberto Rojas

In 1989, Rojas was in goal for Chile's 1990 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Brazil at Rio de Janeiro's Maracanã stadium. Chile, down 1–0, would be eliminated from the upcoming World Cup if they lost. Around the 70-minute mark of the match, Rojas fell to the pitch writhing and holding his forehead. A firework, thrown from the stands by a Brazilian fan named Rosenery Mello do Nascimento, was smoldering on the pitch about a yard away. It seemed that Rojas had been hit by the firework, an incident that could've had the match nullified and possibly even have had Brazil penalized by FIFA. Rojas, his head bloodied, was carried off the field; his teammates then refused to return claiming that conditions were unsafe. The match was unfinished.

Video evidence later showed that Rojas had not been hit by the firework. His head injury was discovered to have been self-inflicted with a razor blade he had hidden in his glove.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/...liminate-brazil-from-world-cup-qualification/

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Should we consider the Mexican point of view and count in Robben?
Robben is just a diver, not really a villain aside from that. He's not really someone who pretends to fracture his skull every time someone bumps in to him and outside of that he's a very friendly and respectful guy of the pitch. If any Dutch player is a villain it's Mark van Bommel. He's just an utter prick on the field off the field and as we now know, as a trainer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We can just make a thread dedicated to only Suarez. So many times he stamped on defenders ankles and then rolled on the floor, biting, eye gouging, kicking the player in stomach knowing the player was heading the ball, stood on some player's back, biting when playing in Netherlands, England and in World cup, Racism, punched/slapped some player when playing for National team.

Canagel

Ramos, Pepe, Dani alves, Busquets, Barton, Suarez, Costa, Barnes, mourinho

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Rather delicious that he apparently hurts himself while his victim is apparently getting immediately up to keep playing.

His arm raised to indicate to the ref of his injury is probably complete pantomime, though.

youngrell

Surprising lack of Maradona in here considering how much England fans hate him. Maybe too young or wounds healed a bit?

Klinsmann was another good one from years gone by.

youngrell

I think Costa might just pip Ramos. I mean, Ramos is an absolute bellend of the highest order but I've seen Costa outdo him a few times in Madrid derbies. The look on Ramos' face as he realises there's someone worse than him is always priceless.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Did you forget Kevin Davies? ruined Cleverley when He was on the rise.

OldSchoolManc

Ramos is a hero? Did you miss the 2018 champions league final?
Suarez is and always has been a clown.
It’s wonderful to see most Liverpool fans waking up to that fact.

James Hond

Supports
Ajax
Suarez of course. Biting, diving, that handball, racism, that squirly fecking face, the man has it all.

I do however think a less well known guy deserves a shout; Joel Veltman.

This is just one of his gems, but the guy is an utter cnut. Though I suppose he won't make the cut since he's not actually a very good football player. Now that he's on the verge of playing a CL final I think the world deserves to know about the state of this fecker.
You posted this video a few days ago in another discussion. You're pretty determined to show the world the villainy of Joel Veltman, aren't you? I'm sure this is youre only example why he is such a horrible cnut. It was an act of real unsportmanship, but he apologised almost immediately after this. He does get a lot of bookings, but that is mostly because he's not a great defender, not very fast and makes a lot of mistakes he has to correct himself. In the meantime he has been out with a serious injury for almost a year, recently made his return and is doing great considering his capabilities. And here you are, convincing all your British buddies that Joel Veltman is an horrible human being. I know life is though as a Feyenoord supporter, but maybe try to find another hobby.

Suarez actually IS a real cnut (if he plays on the opposite team), but he will be forever considered a legend in Amsterdam. Has to act like the real antichrist in the final to turn the Ajax fans against him

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackShark_80

Schumacher
Gentile - Pepe - Materazzi - Thatcher
Diouf - Barton - Effenberg - Giggs
Suarez - Ferguson

Subs: Courtois, Ramos, Goikoetxea, Jones, Cantona, Costa​

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You posted this video a few days ago in another discussion. You're pretty determined to show the world the villainy of Joel Veltman, aren't you? I'm sure this is youre only example why he is such a horrible cnut. It was an act of real unsportmanship, but he apologised almost immediately after this. He does get a lot of bookings, but that is mostly because he's not a great defender, not very fast and makes a lot of mistakes he has to correct himself. In the meantime he has been out with a serious injury for almost a year, recently made his return and is doing great considering his capabilities. And here you are, convincing all your British buddies that Joel Veltman is an horrible human being. I know life is though as a Feyenoord supporter, but maybe try to find another hobby.

Suarez actually IS a real cnut (if he plays on the opposite team), but he will be forever considered a legend in Amsterdam. Has to act like the real antichrist in the final to turn the Ajax fans against him
You know as well as I do that this isn't the first time Veltman behaves questionably. At least I'd think so, as you support Ajax and, I assume, watch them play from time to time. Veltman's main quality is this type of cnutery since, as you say, he's not a very good player so tries to get into an opponents head to provoke them into doing something stupid. I'm sure he apologized, but so did Suarez after biting the first time, and the second time, and the third time, and that time he was being a racist. It's what you do that counts, not your feigned repentance afterwards.

Thanks for the sympathy for my hardship as a Feyenoord fan though, but I'll be fine. As you apparently sometimes read my posts, you can see quite clearly that I'm very happy for you lot doing so well and will be rooting for you again on Wednesday.

Varun

Staff
How incredible is it that the racist biting cnut was worshipped like a God but has become a villain just because he celebrated scoring a goal in the CL SF against a team he left half a decade ago?

Scouser eh

Revaulx

Well that's just.. your.. opinion man

Hope you had a great time too when Eric retired :drool:
No comparison at all. Eric was a magnificent player with a mildly psychopathic streak. Van Bommel was a professional cnut whose entire career was dedicated to being a cnut.

Stadjer

Some of the players mentioned were/are cnuts, but with a purpose, and more importantly an absolute loyalty to their team and cause. Terry wasn't a nice individual off the pitch, but he would die for Chelsea, was a clean footballer and just doesn't measure up in overall shithousery to those in the tier above him in the shithousery stakes (let's keep this about football and not the extra curricular).
Didnt he punch Ivan Klasnic in the kidney after Klasnic had a kidney transplant? I agree that Terry isnt as bad as Suarez (Suarez is the worst : racist, biting, spitting, cheating, always trying to provoke other players) but calling John Terry a clean footballer is a bit much.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Half of the Madrid/Barca squads from each of the last 10 years.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Any good RAWK reactions to Suarez last night?

Edit: Just checked out the RAWK thread. :lol:

Last edited:

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Suarez of course. Biting, diving, that handball, racism, that squirly fecking face, the man has it all.

I do however think a less well known guy deserves a shout; Joel Veltman.

This is just one of his gems, but the guy is an utter cnut. Though I suppose he won't make the cut since he's not actually a very good football player. Now that he's on the verge of playing a CL final I think the world deserves to know about the state of this fecker.

Remember that one Ajax player kicking the ball into Ronaldo when he was laying on the ground in the recent Juve game? That was Veltman, of course. Had me in stitches to be fair :lol:

He's not a Suarez or Diego Costa level of cnut, but he's definitely a sneaky sly little cnut. Personally I hated Ola Toivonen the most out of all recent Eredivise players, much more than Suarez actually. Stuff Toivonen did and also got away with constantly still makes my blood boil years later. He's right up there with Costa and Suarez for me.

James Hond

Supports
Ajax
You know as well as I do that this isn't the first time Veltman behaves questionably. At least I'd think so, as you support Ajax and, I assume, watch them play from time to time. Veltman's main quality is this type of cnutery since, as you say, he's not a very good player so tries to get into an opponents head to provoke them into doing something stupid. I'm sure he apologized, but so did Suarez after biting the first time, and the second time, and the third time, and that time he was being a racist. It's what you do that counts, not your feigned repentance afterwards.

Thanks for the sympathy for my hardship as a Feyenoord fan though, but I'll be fine. As you apparently sometimes read my posts, you can see quite clearly that I'm very happy for you lot doing so well and will be rooting for you again on Wednesday.
Maybe i'm looking through my Ajax glasses too much, but I think every team in Europe has at least one player with exactly his kind of behaviour. Apart from the injury incident off course. But seeing this video about an incident that occured two years ago pop up on this site twice this last week, felt a little like a personal vendetta. So maybe you're looking at him with your Feyenoord glasses too much.

Supports
Ajax
Stijn Vreven (FC Utrecht) comes to mind as well. Over the top tackles, punches, pinching, tossing people over, elbows...

Chipper

Adulterer.
Schumacher was the first player to come to mind, I see some others have stuck him in their team.

I was 3 when the '82 World Cup happened so didn't watch it/have no memory of it. Even if I was older there was less football on tv in those days by a long way so tournament football would likely have been the only times I ever saw him play. That all goes towards me and many others only knowing him for taking out Battiston, which in turn is the only reason I know who he is.

When the only thing a lot of people know you for is something like that then it's hard not to be seen as a villain. I've seen all the modern villains play much more often including plenty of games where they didn't do anything objectionable so it's hard for them to have the same sort of bad reputation.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I suddenly like Suarez a hell of a lot more - can't think why :devil: