Who are the greatest villains football has ever seen? Candidates for this gen': Suárez and Ramos

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Saurez boasts a longer rap sheet and a broader portfolio of shithousery. But he too had a purpose - driven by an absolute will to win - and will do whatever it takes to make sure that happens.

Thinking about it though, there are a few different kinds of shithouses:
  • The violent shithouse - Kevin Muscat is probably the best example, having carried out multiple leg-breaking challenges in his career, and used that as a threat to impose himself on his opposition number.
  • The calculated and cunning shithouse - plenty of candidates from the current generation (Ramos, Busquets, Costa and others), covering both diving and the sneaky off-the-ball dig/wind-up. Stellar past examples include Materazzi and Gentile.
  • The dubious character shithouse - loyal and committed on the park, bereft of integrity off it. See Terry, Giggs.
  • The selfish shithouse - out for himself, bears overblown grudges, and happy to feck his team over if his ego gets too hurt. See Emmanuel Adebayor and Joey Barton.
  • The panto villain shithouse - dedicated to his own team and revels in acting the twat to wind up the opposition support. Best current examples - Ashley Barnes and Scott Brown.
It takes a special kind of shithouse to shine in all of these categories.
:lol: That's an excellent breakdown of football shithousery.

John Fashanu is quite high up on my personal shit-list. Violent on the pitch and a lying, self-aggrandising narcissist and sociopath off it.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
What's the story behind Suarez celebrating like a cnut? Have Liverpool fans jeered him or something was told in the media beforehand?

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Imagine putting your reputation on the line by wearing those t-shirts during racism gate with Evra only to see your pal celebrating scoring against youlike a madman a few years later.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
F. Hierro
Marcelo
Ramos
Vinnie Jones
Effenberg
T. Müller
Robben
Keown
Keane
Cantona (def a bad boy)
R. V. Nistelrooy
Stoichkov
Simeone
Materazzi

Full bodied red

Saurez boasts a longer rap sheet and a broader portfolio of shithousery. But he too had a purpose - driven by an absolute will to win - and will do whatever it takes to make sure that happens.

• The violent shithouse - Kevin Muscat is probably the best example, having carried out multiple leg-breaking challenges in his career, and used that as a threat to impose himself on his opposition number.
  • The calculated and cunning shithouse - plenty of candidates from the current generation (Ramos, Busquets, Costa and others), covering both diving and the sneaky off-the-ball dig/wind-up. Stellar past examples include Materazzi and Gentile.
  • The dubious character shithouse - loyal and committed on the park, bereft of integrity off it. See Terry, Giggs.
  • The selfish shithouse - out for himself, bears overblown grudges, and happy to feck his team over if his ego gets too hurt. See Emmanuel Adebayor and Joey Barton.
  • The panto villain shithouse - dedicated to his own team and revels in acting the twat to wind up the opposition support. Best current examples - Ashley Barnes and Scott Brown.

Yeah....Excellent call.

Seems he gets his rocks off from deliberately being a bell end to wind up opponents' supporters rather than thuggery on the pitch.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Keane did make that one horrendous tackle. Since it was intentional, maybe one of the worst of all time.
Myth.

“I didn't go to injure Haaland.”
“Did I try to injure Haaland? Definitely not.”
“I don't regret that. But I had no wish to injure him.”

It came about because of Haaland's greedy and insincere bid to seek legal damages (which didn't get off the ground due to complete lack of medical evidence) and later deceitful, spiteful even, attempt to smear Keane despite knowing full well it was not why his career ended. It made for good headlines and unfortunately some bought it.

The only charge for which there is direct evidence, in the form of the video footage and an admission from Keane, is that he wanted to simply hurt Haaland. Whilst that cannot be condoned, it is a common occurrence on the football pitch between rival players and a much lesser indiscretion than, god forbid, attempting to actually injure or end another player's career.

Keane later described the situation at his hearing: -

They had the tackle, in slow motion – my Jesus. You look at anything in slow motion, and it looks worse. Even blowing your nose looks dreadful in slow motion. The tackle in slow motion, from every angle – it looked bleak. I felt like saying, ‘Stop the feckin’ video. Give me the fine and let’s move on.’

In my adolescence, I got stuck into babysitting my 4 month old niece while my brother went out to dine with his girlfriend. I was annoyed because I wanted to play Space Invaders on my Nokia 6300, but I knew my niece liked to play buttons, so I let her mess around with it. I'm bored out of my brain, and fecking Roy Keane walks in.

I'm an introvert, so naturally I was anxious, and just kept looking at him, as he read a magazine and waited, but didn't know what to say. Pretty soon though my niece started crying, and I'm trying to quiet her down because I didn't want her to bother Roy, but she wouldn't stop. Pretty soon he gets up and walks over. He started running his hands through her hair and asking what was wrong. I replied that she was probably hungry or something. So, Roy put down his magazine, picked up my niece and lifted his shirt. He breast fed her right there. Keane is a proper chill guy, really nice about it.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Suarez of course. Biting, diving, that handball, racism, that squirly fecking face, the man has it all.

I do however think a less well known guy deserves a shout; Joel Veltman.

This is just one of his gems, but the guy is an utter cnut. Though I suppose he won't make the cut since he's not actually a very good football player. Now that he's on the verge of playing a CL final I think the world deserves to know about the state of this fecker.
honestly my contempt for Veltman has gone so full circle that i now like him for being a cnut. he really is the worst

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
I've said this many times before but this angle is extremely misleading. there's a reason nothing was every made of this at the time and only this angle is ever shown. Suarez goes in to shield the ball, and his left foot gets hit bit the extending right leg of the defender, causing him to spin on to him like that.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Thank you. Seems to have been brushed under the carpet on the net. It's one of the worst of its kind I've seen - just making a post, and this has to be in it!
I've said this many times before but this angle is extremely misleading. there's a reason nothing was every made of this at the time and only this angle is ever shown. Suarez goes in to shield the ball, and his left foot gets hit bit the extending right leg of the defender, causing him to spin on to him like that.

slowmotion:

I realise it's terrible quality, this is genuinely the only version available online with the live angle. i get that it's hard to see anything, but watch Suarez' left foot and the defender's right leg.

youmeletsfly

Vinnie Jones, undeniably the biggest tool ever to play pro.
Busquets
Ramos
Valdes
Mbappe - just punchable face
Martial - another punchable face
Materazzi
Zlatan - funny but a bit boring after 10 seconds
P. Schmeichel - for many of us a cult hero, for me , the average shouty guy with a small dick.
Dele Ali

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

:lol:

I like this. We could do a breakdown for each category!

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Rather delicious that he apparently hurts himself while his victim is apparently getting immediately up to keep playing.

His arm raised to indicate to the ref of his injury is probably complete pantomime, though.
I'm not above admitting that where Veltman a Feyenoord player I would probably at least somewhat applaud his thuggery. It's as you say, when they play for you, you love them, if not, you hate them. Currently at Feyenoord we have Steven Berghuis who can be an absolute twat at times and for all his sportsmanship and eloquence RVP is still prone to losing his head when the going gets tough sometimes. I don't think Veltman is on the level of Suarez by the way, just to be clear :) Veltman seems like a nice enough guy outside the pitch.

@Henrik Larsson

That's a good one, I loved that one too by the way. Goes to show I dislike Ronaldo more than Veltman. Ola Toivonen, yes ukh, that was a massive tit as well. From current PSV I don't exactly love Lozano, to put it mildly.
i had front row seats to Veltman and Lozano's first ever encounter, ajax - psv december 2017. I was watching them specifically and they literally spent the whole match in a tangle of pulling and whinging

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Gattuso was 2 x worse than Ramos.
Gattuso was just physical. He was a "hardman" if you respect that. Why the likes of Suarez, Costa, Ramos and Van Bommel are much worse they are overly physical plus they will collapse to the ground if anything physical happens to them.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That all goes towards me and many others only knowing him for taking out Battiston, which in turn is the only reason I know who he is.
Flavio Briatore, the manager that brought Michael Schumacher to Formula 1, said that he chose him for his surname — because he knew Harald Schumacher who played for West Germany :lol: Although it's probably one of those stories that you make up after the stuff had actually happened.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Gattuso was just physical. He was a "hardman" if you respect that. Why the likes of Suarez, Costa, Ramos and Van Bommel are much worse they are overly physical plus they will collapse to the ground if anything physical happens to them.
I don't know. Every time I watched him, he just there hacking out legs and with "in your face" style.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Oliver Kahn?

I loved him, but you guys would definitely hate him now. :lol:

Reiver

:lol: That's an excellent breakdown of football shithousery.

John Fashanu is quite high up on my personal shit-list. Violent on the pitch and a lying, self-aggrandising narcissist and sociopath off it.
John Fashanu is a great call. The circumstances of his falling out with his brother don't help either.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

In a slightly different context, I remember most of the defenders in Serie A during the 80s and early 90s being highly villainous. Franco Baresi was the most cynical fouler I’ve ever seen and couldn’t get sent off even if he shot a striker with an AK-47.

Full bodied red

In a slightly different context, I remember most of the defenders in Serie A during the 80s and early 90s being highly villainous. Franco Baresi was the most cynical fouler I’ve ever seen and couldn’t get sent off even if he shot a striker with an AK-47.

Played against an Italian team once - nothing special, just a tournement for amateur teams in Verona in the early 80s.

The guy I was marking kept backing into me and sticking his elbow into my ribs. A couple of minutes before the end of the match, he did it again and this time it hurt. I went down winded, and the ref blew for a free kick.

After the usual staring and shouting at the ref with the two fingers and thumb pressed together and back-and-forth in front of the face, he turned round to me and held out his hand pretending to help me get back on my feet. Stupid me accepted his offer but as he took hold of my hand, he then proceeded to dig his finger nails into the palm of my hand almost hard enough to draw blood.

So now I was hurting stomach and palm of hand.

Bast*rd, I thought, and told him ' Vaffanculo ' the only Italian swear word I knew

He then smiled and ruffled my hair with his hand.....But when the ref turned round to talk to one of his team mates, he ended the hair ruffling by giving it a really ferocious yank

Winded, sore palm and now almost scalped, I'd had enough, so jumped up as best as I could, stuck one on his chin and got sent off.

Typical of Italian football shit of the time, even amateur football....

No idea what he was called, but can I nomininate this arseh*le ?

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
How could you include Ramos in a united board? He's a cnut, everyone knows that, but he gave you the Salah and Karius episodes, that to this day still hunts them. He's a bit of a United legend as well, even if it was for a few minutes.

Armchair Manager

Supports
Northampton
I think suarez wins it by big margin. Most of the other players in running are known for one or two characteristcs were as suarez has portfolio of things you can hate him for. People hate him for racism, biting players on two seperate occasion, showing complete lack of class in celebrating against his former club, one which stood with him in racism gate.
Most of the players who have cekebrated against their former clubs were provoked by fans but in this instance he was at home. I believe his former club's fan have given him round of applause on two occasion in two charity matches at anfield.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
TBF if we were to omit the rough tackles etc., Ramos would be nowhere near V.Bommel, Costa or Suarez. But with his rough style, he's an all timer in terms of yellow/red cards.

He makes cynical challenges, absolutely, he's like a matador playing football... but when it comes to diving, or other means of just trying to get the opposition sent of for any reason, he's an angel compared to those, or someone like Alba.

Bojan11

Michael Brown. Made quite a few nasty challenges and played like a cnut.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Oliver Kahn?

I loved him, but you guys would definitely hate him now. :lol:
I quite liked him actually. Yes, I thought he was a bit strange or different at times but I never really disliked him. As I mentioned Canizares in the most like players thread there was this:

Forgive the sentimental music, but yeah, that was still really nice. Fair play to the guy.

Precaution

Myth.

“I didn't go to injure Haaland.”
“Did I try to injure Haaland? Definitely not.”
“I don't regret that. But I had no wish to injure him.”

It came about because of Haaland's greedy and insincere bid to seek legal damages (which didn't get off the ground due to complete lack of medical evidence) and later deceitful, spiteful even, attempt to smear Keane despite knowing full well it was not why his career ended. It made for good headlines and unfortunately some bought it.

The only charge for which there is direct evidence, in the form of the video footage and an admission from Keane, is that he wanted to simply hurt Haaland. Whilst that cannot be condoned, it is a common occurrence on the football pitch between rival players and a much lesser indiscretion than, god forbid, attempting to actually injure or end another player's career.

Keane later described the situation at his hearing: -

They had the tackle, in slow motion – my Jesus. You look at anything in slow motion, and it looks worse. Even blowing your nose looks dreadful in slow motion. The tackle in slow motion, from every angle – it looked bleak. I felt like saying, ‘Stop the feckin’ video. Give me the fine and let’s move on.’

In my adolescence, I got stuck into babysitting my 4 month old niece while my brother went out to dine with his girlfriend. I was annoyed because I wanted to play Space Invaders on my Nokia 6300, but I knew my niece liked to play buttons, so I let her mess around with it. I'm bored out of my brain, and fecking Roy Keane walks in.

I'm an introvert, so naturally I was anxious, and just kept looking at him, as he read a magazine and waited, but didn't know what to say. Pretty soon though my niece started crying, and I'm trying to quiet her down because I didn't want her to bother Roy, but she wouldn't stop. Pretty soon he gets up and walks over. He started running his hands through her hair and asking what was wrong. I replied that she was probably hungry or something. So, Roy put down his magazine, picked up my niece and lifted his shirt. He breast fed her right there. Keane is a proper chill guy, really nice about it.
Uh... what? :houllier::lol: