Who are the top 5 centre-backs in the world?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
VvD (if he fully recovers) and Marquinhos are the easy picks. The other ones are more subjective, really.

Zoo

Van Dijk
Marquinhos

I mean there are a lot of good to very good CB's out there who all kind of fluctuate between similar levels. To me there just two genuine standouts at the moment.
Agreed. Those 2 are the standouts.

And? So did 20 other players. He could’ve helped us win the league being the 10th best CB as well.
He was clearly the pivotal signing that helped you win the title, very weird you‘re trying to suggest otherwise.

lysglimt

Scout
We had the best defense in Europe after Tuchel turned up and he was our best defender. Ran the show against all our opponents and bullied every player he came up against. Granted it's based on 5 months of game time but what a top top player he was in the months leading up to us winning the Champions League.
And he was miedocre in the euros

mancan92

yeah I didn't feel comfortable listing more than 3 either
I feel bad for saying it cause I am not a hípster who believes everyone older was better and I'm also a defender and believe defending is an underrated skill.

But honestly I watch soo many of the so called top defenders barely able to actually defend and rarely seem to take pride in it. The previous generation you'd see the defenders love it and alot of the time it was one on one not 3 defenders vs 1 attacker. Just seems defending as a skill is so low for this generation so they constantly need protection.

Or managers are too scared to let their defenders do their job.

TheReligion

Abusive
Marquinhos is the player better suited to DM isn't he?

You wonder how much the Caf see of these players.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
We had the best defense in Europe after Tuchel turned up and he was our best defender. Ran the show against all our opponents and bullied every player he came up against. Granted it's based on 5 months of game time but what a top top player he was in the months leading up to us winning the Champions League.
And before that he was crap and couldn’t get a game. He’s half decent but he’s been massively protected by the 3 at the back system and possession based tactics that Tuchel has used. Not a chance he’s anywhere near the top 5.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Marquinhos is the player better suited to DM isn't he?

You wonder how much the Caf see of these players.
Is that why is the centre back captain of PSG and the vice-captain of Brazil, with whom he plays as a centre back? I wonder if you've seen him play mate.

He's filled that role for PSG at times, but they've got midfield problems stretching quite far back.

Green_Red

Don't think anyone can argue VVD wasn't the #1 before he was injured.

TheReligion

Abusive
Is that why is the centre back captain of PSG and the vice-captain of Brazil, with whom he plays as a centre back? I wonder if you've seen him play mate.

He's filled that role for PSG at times, but they've got midfield problems stretching quite far back.
I'm not sure what you're saying. That you disagree he's better suited to DM role?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's not mean, it's just your opinion. There is no way I'd swap Maguire for Matip, nor for Gomez who is a crock, and Konate is super promising, but still doubts over his injury problems. I'm not saying Maguire is top 5 in the world, but I don't think I'd swap him for another defender in the Premier League other than those two I mentioned.

Both Konate and Upamecano are hugely promising, but I think the latter will prove to be incredible over time.
I appreciate all the responses, all civil I may add.

Gomez being a crock has nothing to do with whom is a better defender, Matip is a bigger crock if that is scientifically even possible. However when they play they are proper champions level material (PL / CL take your pick). If Gomez was fit he would have been England's number one choice with Maguire his number two partner. I'm sure even none of you would debate that.

Matip is the most frustrating. He comes closest to VvD for me but is made of wet biscuits. :( These two aren't your ordinary non trophy deserving shmucks. I will admit I'm beginning to warm to Maguire though, for one of those nearly top players but probably not top enough to win anything as his pace and turning circle will get exposed time and again.

Konate I just threw in there as I've hardly seen him play but he comes with a huge rep apparently.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Wouldn’t even say there’s a clear top 5 right now. More like a top 10. And it’s all very subject to system and surrounding players as someone like Rudiger looked great towards the end of Tuchels season in a back 3 with protection, but was lost with Lampard and couldn’t get a game.

Varane, Ramos,VVD, Dias, Marquinhos,De Vrij, Gimenez, Maguire, Chiellini, Alaba seems like a decent list to me, with probably 5 of those being locks and the other 5 opinionated.

Wouldn’t even say there’s a clear top 5 right now. More like a top 10. And it’s all very subject to system and surrounding players as someone like Rudiger looked great towards the end of Tuchels season in a back 3 with protection, but was lost with Lampard and couldn’t get a game.

Varane, Ramos,VVD, Dias, Marquinhos,De Vrij, Gimenez, Maguire, Chiellini, Alaba seems like a decent list to me, with probably 5 of those being locks and the other 5 opinionated.
i agree. Especially given the age of some of these players, and with one coming back off of an injury where there are no guarantees he would be the same player.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
And before that he was crap and couldn’t get a game. He’s half decent but he’s been massively protected by the 3 at the back system and possession based tactics that Tuchel has used. Not a chance he’s anywhere near the top 5.
I do find it strange when people dismiss a defender's impact and ability because they are thriving in a back 3. As I said before, he's been our best defender and we've had the best defense in Europe since our switch to 3 at the back and yet he's only just 'half decent'. It's an incredibly naive thing to say.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He was clearly the pivotal signing that helped you win the title, very weird you‘re trying to suggest otherwise.
It’s not the point though? Him being critical in our title win has no bearing on or doesn’t equate him being a top 5 CB in the world. Same goes for Varane, titles are a team achievement.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I appreciate all the responses, all civil I may add.

Gomez being a crock has nothing to do with whom is a better defender, Matip is a bigger crock if that is scientifically even possible. However when they play they are proper champions level material (PL / CL take your pick). If Gomez was fit he would have been England's number one choice with Maguire his number two partner. I'm sure even none of you would debate that.

Matip is the most frustrating. He comes closest to VvD for me but is made of wet biscuits. :( These two aren't your ordinary non trophy deserving shmucks. I will admit I'm beginning to warm to Maguire though, for one of those nearly top players but probably not top enough to win anything as his pace and turning circle will get exposed time and again.

Konate I just threw in there as I've hardly seen him play but he comes with a huge rep apparently.
Gomez would not be in the England team ahead of Stones or Maguire. Probably not ahead of Mings either. Matip is decent but no more than that.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think the whole purpose of this thread is to hype Varane since he seems to be United bound. :lol:

Scottynaldinho

Team achievements have got nothing to do with a player's individual quality.
In case of Chiellini, Ramos, Silva I would agree, not the same players anymore. As far as Varane is concerned, the guy's still 28 and has been starting for one of the most successful periods any football club has ever experienced for the past 8 years. He was integral part of world cup winning French team too and is still at the peak of his abilities. Why wouldn't you factor that in while no other defender currently matches that?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Can't agree with that. You have to be consistently doing it. He may have had a good 5 months but how many years has he been at the club?
At the moment I think he's the best 5 in the world. If the thread title was 'who has been the top 5 best centre backs for the last 3 years' then he wouldnt be in it.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
In case of Chiellini, Ramos, Silva I would agree, not the same players anymore. As far as Varane is concerned, the guy's still 28 and has been starting for one of the most successful periods any football club has ever experienced for the past 8 years. He was integral part of world cup winning French team too and is still at the peak of his abilities. Why wouldn't you factor that in while no other defender currently matches that?
He could definitely be top 5 based on quality, I just don’t agree that he should be in because of those achievements. Might be you put Skriniar in his place for France and Real and they win the same thing for example.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think the whole purpose of this thread is to hype Varane since he seems to be United bound. :lol:
Not at all. The last time there was a discussion about CB's, Varane was a dead certainty to be mentioned right next to the best CB's, so it was news to me that some people really don't seem to rate him.

It may well be that he's had a sub-par season, or the high profile mistakes of late, but Varane's stock/regard dropping has come as a surprise and makes me curious who people have above him.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Not at all. The last time there was a discussion about CB's, Varane was a dead certainty to be mentioned right next to the best CB's, so it was news to me that some people really don't seem to rate him.

It may well be that he's had a sub-par season, or the high profile mistakes of late, but Varane's stock/regard dropping has come as a surprise and makes me curious who people have above him.
In my opinion Varane is a very good CB but he needs a strong partner. Ramos was that and Maguire might be able to provide that as well. Alaba wouldn’t which is why I was never convinced of that pairing.