Who are the top 5 centre-backs in the world?

TheReligion

Abusive
At the moment I think he's the best 5 in the world. If the thread title was 'who has been the top 5 best centre backs for the last 3 years' then he wouldnt be in it.
So basically you're going off who is in form. Ok I get it. Didn't realise that was what the thread was getting at.

I actually think Maguire is a bit underrated among football fans. We saw how lost we looked defensively, especially in the weeks after he was injured.

I would say only VVD, Marquinhos and Dias are better than him.
Dias looked pretty average when actually asked to defend this tournament. I don’t think you can really judge Guardiola defenders, they so rarely defend.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Gomez would not be in the England team ahead of Stones or Maguire. Probably not ahead of Mings either. Matip is decent but no more than that.
A good defender plays in any formation and style. Imagine Klopp is setting up his rock and roll football for the new season. TAA and Robertson have disappeared into the horizon up front. Which two CBs is Klopp going to trust for their pace and experience of winning from these challenging situations?

VvD
Gomez
Maguire

As this is a partisan site, obviously, I'll give you a clue. The first two have wiped the floor in that formation on the way to two CL finals, two 90+ point finishes, one CL trophy and one PL trophy. All deserved, none as passengers.

Maguire needs Wan Bissaka and Shaw next to him at nearly all times or he's fecked against a half decent forward. Ferguson is doing a good job managing this team with the limitations Maguire brings to a formation.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
A good defender plays in any formation and style. Imagine Klopp is setting up his rock and roll football for the new season. TAA and Robertson have disappeared into the horizon up front. Which two CBs is Klopp going to trust for their pace and experience of winning from these challenging situations?

VvD
Gomez
Maguire

As this is a partisan site, obviously, I'll give you a clue. The first two have wiped the floor in that formation on the way to two CL finals, two 90+ point finishes, one CL trophy and one PL trophy. All deserved, none as passengers.

Maguire needs Wan Bissaka and Shaw next to him at nearly all times or he's fecked against a half decent forward. Ferguson is doing a good job managing this team with the limitations Maguire brings to a formation.
Nope not buying it.

lenny_1248

1. Maguire
2. Lindelof
3. Bailly
4. Tuanzebe
5. Phil Jones

PS In all seriousness, people who don't put Marquinhos are insane. He might be the best CB in the world considering VVD is injured.

spaceboyRSA

VvD
Gomez
Maguire

clearly you don’t watch united at all. Fergie retired years ago

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Nope not buying it.
I look forward to Ole's rock and roll football, now you have Sancho, in the new season then. Shaw and Bissaka to park their asses semi permanently just outside of the oppos penalty area. Do it! :devil:

Abraxas

Not sure I could come up with 5, there aren't many standouts.

From the PL I would say Maguire, Van Dijk and Dias (although one season isn't enough to earn such plaudits in my opinion) are the current best based on the last few years. Rudiger is also underrated, I feel. I think the stuff about Maguire's pace is well overblown to be honest, hardly ever gets shown up for pace, people just tend to cling onto a few moments.

I wouldn't have De Light anywhere near such a list either, still very much young and learning in my opinion.

Ekeke

I'd go with

VVD
Marquinhos
Stones
Romero
Dias

And Maguire is closer to making my list than Varane

Andersons Dietician

This is a hard question because where I agree that consistency should probably be key some of them have shown previous form or reached a peak where you just know that really they are better equipped to be classed as elite.

I don’t think there is any argument over who number 1 spot is.

1-VVD
2-Laporte
3-Varane

Those lot at their best are far and above the others for me but Laporte basically didn’t play the last season, Varane has been average.

4-Diaz, would like to see him do it again but given his performance last season I can’t see how anyone could deny him as one of the top 5 in world football right now.

5- Marquinos

you could make a case for Stones, Maguire, Silva, Rudiger. Don’t watch much Italian football if any so no idea if there are any decent defenders left.

dinostar77

Only on a man utd forum would anyone put maguire in the top 5 in the world. We're having to buy a partner with recovery pace to make up for his weaknesses.

Anyway top CBs, split over 30s and under.

Over 30: Chinelli, Bonucci, Ramos, Hummels, Koubailly, Godin, Thiago Silva

Under 30: VVD, Varane, Dias, Marquinhos, Felipe, de ligt, Lucus Hernandez (lot more than 5 i know)

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm not sure what you're saying. That you disagree he's better suited to DM role?
He can obviously play there, but it's a waste when you've got a Rolls Royce centre back in there. I expect he'll take over the mantle from the big boys (Ramos, Chiellini, Bonucci).

I appreciate all the responses, all civil I may add.

Gomez being a crock has nothing to do with whom is a better defender, Matip is a bigger crock if that is scientifically even possible. However when they play they are proper champions level material (PL / CL take your pick). If Gomez was fit he would have been England's number one choice with Maguire his number two partner. I'm sure even none of you would debate that.

Matip is the most frustrating. He comes closest to VvD for me but is made of wet biscuits. :( These two aren't your ordinary non trophy deserving shmucks. I will admit I'm beginning to warm to Maguire though, for one of those nearly top players but probably not top enough to win anything as his pace and turning circle will get exposed time and again.

Konate I just threw in there as I've hardly seen him play but he comes with a huge rep apparently.
Sure. I don't think Gomez would be considered a guaranteed starter for England if he was fit. And definitely not if you lot didn't have Van Dijk taking the load off, which he also does for your other crock, Matip. Gomez was hugely rated, but he's had an absolute mare with injuries disrupting his development, so the jury is out. Matip is not even close. Will be interesting to see how Konate does (would definitely have wanted him here, not least at that hideous price).

Maguire last season was probably the third best defender in the league, behind Stones and Dias. But I'd take him every single day over Stones.

AndrewMac

He declared for them cause he couldn't get games for France ahead of Kimpembe
Insanity. Not only a misguided call, but allowing him to strengthen your major rival is crazy. They should have just gave him a few minutes in a game to make the change of country a non issue.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Van Dijk, Silva, Chiellini, Marquinhos. Not sure about the fifth spot, any one from Giminez, Felipe, Ramos, Varane, Laporte, Dias. The old boys aren’t quite at the level they used to be, but they haven’t quite been usurped by the next generation yet.

Eddy_JukeZ

Stones is nowhere near a top 5 CB in the world. It's laughable to even suggest him.

POF

What a defender Chielini is. I absolutely love him as a player. He just loves defending.

He won't get the credit he deserves in the modern era when being able to defend isn't a prerequisite to being anointed a world class defender. But he's without a doubt, the best defender in the world over the last 10 years.

It would be really fitting if he leads Italy to winning the Euros. I hope he does it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Dias looked pretty average when actually asked to defend this tournament. I don’t think you can really judge Guardiola defenders, they so rarely defend.
I don't think this tournament is accurate to judge how good/poor the player is. Players like Mbappe and Bruno has been poor in this tournament, yet they are arguable the best player in the world in their respective position.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
VVD? That guy who conceded 7 vs Aston Villa? :lol: He about to get exposed something serious this coming season.

1. Marquinhos
2. Varane
3.Chelini
4.De ligt
5. Thiago Silva

Red_toad

VVD, Varane, Marquinhos, Ruben Dias....not sure who I'd add as a fifth - Is Koulibaly still good? Di Ligt? Skriniar?

Love these kind of posts, I'll throw out a few names and then ask who I should add as a final choice as I've really no idea kinda thing :lol:

VVD has yet to return from a long term injury and hadn't been that great prior to being injured, so personally wouldn't be a contender for top 5 seeing how he's had zero football in 2021. Your last 3 are basically all not anywhere near best 5 in the world and not even best in their own teams.

Swordsman

1. Ruben Dias (Man City)
2. Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool)
3. Marquinhos (PSG)
4. Aymeric Laporte (Man City)
5. Harry Maguire (Man United)

will I get shot for naming Maguire ? :D

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Van Dijk, Marquinhos and Dias are the best. That Maguire is even mentioned says enough about the level of the others.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Rudiger
Pepe
VVD
Marquinhos
Chiellini

I cant believe I'm seeing Varane in people's lists. Genuiely shocking in a top 5.

dinostar77

Sir Alex says in his book that the best advice he received from another manager was to pick a team that mirrored himself, not just the best players available.

For that reason, the manager LawCharltonBest would absolutely have Harry Maguire in his top 5. Won't get in many others but i think hes absolutely brilliant. My favorite CB since Stam.
Stam was a class above maguire and had excellent recovery pace. Biggest weakness of Maguire's game is lack of pace hence we need a Varane next to him to turn on the afterburners when we get in trouble.

GueRed

Sir Alex says in his book that the best advice he received from another manager was to pick a team that mirrored himself, not just the best players available.

For that reason, the manager LawCharltonBest would absolutely have Harry Maguire in his top 5. Won't get in many others but i think hes absolutely brilliant. My favorite CB since Stam.
Maguire has been an excellent signing. Last season he was outstanding.

Loved Jaap Stam, was gutted Fergie moved him on. Still am haha..He was World Class centre-back.

Imagine a Stam and Maguire partnership? They wouldve complemented each other perfectly.

Infra-red

I do find it strange when people dismiss a defender's impact and ability because they are thriving in a back 3. As I said before, he's been our best defender and we've had the best defense in Europe since our switch to 3 at the back and yet he's only just 'half decent'. It's an incredibly naive thing to say.
To be fair, even though Rudiger had a very good season, his ratings here won't be helped by him being an absolute shambles at the Euros - comfortably the worst performing defender in German's underperforming defence. Maybe he couldn't see properly out of his mask or something.

RooneyLegend

Maguire has been an excellent signing. Last season he was outstanding.

Loved Jaap Stam, was gutted Fergie moved him on. Still am haha..He was World Class centre-back.

Imagine a Stam and Maguire partnership? They wouldve complemented each other perfectly.
Our standards have really gone down the drain.

OverratedOpinion

People saying things about Rudiger, Stones ect. not being close are going a bit over the top.

I think there is a lack of top class centre backs meaning that the best ones other than the top 2 or 3 are all fairly close to each other. Inter have 2 that are in contention, we have 1, Stones is very good, Varane too, aparantly Kimpembe had a very good season, not sure what Koulibaly and Manolas are upto. Really hard question and the answer probably changes every couple of months.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
But you put Pepe in there?!?

Varane isnt top 5, hes top 3.
Yes I put Pepe in there. Not sure if people actually watch him play. Dias looked like a child next to him this Euros. Not to forget his CL performances for Porto. Varane is too inconsistent for me to be top 5. Top 20 ok...

Yes I put Pepe in there. Not sure if people actually watch him play. Dias looked like a child next to him this Euros. Not to forget his CL performances for Porto. Varane is too inconsistent for me to be top 5. Top 20 ok...
Pepe did well. But can he do it over an entire season at the very top level?