Who are the top 5 centre-backs in the world?

abundance

Supports
Inter
The underrating of Skriniar is pretty strong out of Italy...

i mean, there are many great CBs around Europe that I don't watch regularly, so I can't really say hey he's top 5...

but I see De Vrij and Bastoni from Inter getting some recognition in this forum, and I watch every Inter match, and I love them both, but...
Skriniar is better than both.

Outstanding attitude; built like a rock, but still elastic and fast enough; formidable one-on-one; clean; solid in the air; always focused.

And he looks ugly on the ball but he's surprisingly effective at building from the back and defensive dribbling and ball retention. He's got a decent long pass too.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Definately top 5 no but he is a good player
He honestly is, it has always baffled me how he is so underrated on this forum, or among United fans in general. Probably because he doesn’t look fancy or good or whatever. If he was called Maguinho he’d have a completely different reputation.

He’s up there with the best in my opinion, slightly below prime Van Dijk but around the same level as the likes of Marquinhos and Varane.

Macern

Pee pee pants
The underrating of Skriniar is pretty strong out of Italy...

i mean, there are many great CBs around Europe that I don't watch regularly, so I can't really say hey he's top 5...

but I see De Vrij and Bastoni from Inter getting some recognition in this forum, and I watch every Inter match, and I love them both, but...
Skriniar is better than both.

Outstanding attitude; built like a rock, but still elastic and fast enough; formidable one-on-one; clean; solid in the air; always focused.

And he looks ugly on the ball but he's surprisingly effective at building from the back and defensive dribbling and ball retention. He's got a decent long pass too.
How would you rate the top 5 Serie A center backs?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He honestly is, it has always baffled me how he is so underrated on this forum, or among United fans in general. Probably because he doesn’t look fancy or good or whatever. If he was called Maguinho he’d have a completely different reputation.

He’s up there with the best in my opinion, slightly below prime Van Dijk but around the same level as the likes of Marquinhos and Varane.
You are just underrating Vidic, huge amount of recency bias. Like I said Maguire is a good player.

jesperjaap

VVD
Chiellini
Marquinhos

Then a tier below them any two from Ruben Dias, Varane, Maguire, Laporte, De Ligt, Bonucci..

We're in a really, really poor era for centrebacks, probably the poorest in the last 3 decades.
I agree with that first three pretty much have to be in there. Personally baffling the number of people leaving out Chiellini who is often not mentioned and criminally under rated. I think he has been the best defender around over the last decade or so, yet Bonucci always seems to be the centre back people mention from Italy.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
VVD
Chiellini
Marquinhos

Then a tier below them any two from Ruben Dias, Varane, Maguire, Laporte, De Ligt, Bonucci..

We're in a really, really poor era for centrebacks, probably the poorest in the last 3 decades.
Not sure De Ligt deserves a mention, otherwise agree with the rest. Todays CBs the top ones also not as good as previous generation

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not sure De Ligt deserves a mention, otherwise agree with the rest. Todays CBs the top ones also not as good as previous generation
De Ligt is underrated a lot. He would easily be the best in the world if they got rid of the handball rule.

prateik

This thread is confirmation that there arent many great CBs around at the moment.
Very few that stand out.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
This thread is confirmation that there arent many great CBs around at the moment.
Very few that stand out.
That would be defenders in general. Since Cole and Evras generation retired I don’t see any world class left backs. At least none that come to mind. Right backs as well. Though I don’t watch as much as I used to, no one jumps to mind.

Doesn’t mean they all suck by any means, just don’t have that truly elite level in them.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Very few that stand out.
In between two eras. Where great defenders of the past are declining, such as Boateng, Ramos, Thiago Silva, Godin, Chiellini, Bonnuci etc and younger CBs of the next generation still not reaching their peak like Kounde, Upamecano, Konate etc.

I'm not in the camp that defenders are worse now, football tactics have changed a lot, along with the hyper critical social media age, that have defenders play differently and look worse.

Mcking

Thiago Silva and Van Dijk are the best for me, comfortably. Maguire and Marquinhos deserve mentions.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
In between two eras. Where great defenders of the past are declining, such as Boateng, Ramos, Thiago Silva, Godin, Chiellini, Bonnuci etc and younger CBs of the next generation still not reaching their peak like Kounde, Upamecano, Konate etc.

I'm not in the camp that defenders are worse now, football tactics have changed a lot, along with the hyper critical social media age, that have defenders play differently and look worse.
I think the last sentence is a very good point. Players are seen much more critical these days. I believe many of the past greats would be seen more cynical in the social media era. And the CB position has generally become more demanding since top teams are playing higher lines than ever so that they are exposed more often.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Stefan de Vrij is easily the most underrated centre back in the world. He's much better than De Ligt at this point intime, but is never mentioned. Well aside from being voted best defender in the Serie A last year.
Agree with this. I’m a bit surprised with all the mentions of De Ligt. He’s really not been that good. Not top 5 in the world anyway.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Thiago Silva and Van Dijk are the best for me, comfortably. Maguire and Marquinhos deserve mentions.
One is retiring soon and didn't feature much anyway for Chelsea and the other didn't come back from major injury just yet so a lot of question marks if he can get to his previous truly world class level.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Agree with this. I’m a bit surprised with all the mentions of De Ligt. He’s really not been that good. Not top 5 in the world anyway.
Similarly to de Jong very good young players but seems like people are getting carried away and rate their potential like if they are already those players which in fact they are not. And it's not like De ligt doesn't play next to Bonnuci/Chiellini one of the best CBs in Italy still being part of a fiasco of a season. He's still super young for a CB so he's got time to climb to top of that ladder if he wants to though.

Mcking

One is retiring soon and didn't feature much anyway for Chelsea and the other didn't come back from major injury just yet so a lot of question marks if he can get to his previous truly world class level.
I think Van Dijk can and will. The level he showed in his second season at Liverpool was arguably the best I've seen from a CB in about a decade, and he was very good for Southampton. Thiago Silva when he played last season was as good as any defender. He is just so good to watch, and gets the job done almost every single time. Hope he can get over the injuries and play for a few more years.

mancan92

I think the last sentence is a very good point. Players are seen much more critical these days. I believe many of the past greats would be seen more cynical in the social media era. And the CB position has generally become more demanding since top teams are playing higher lines than ever so that they are exposed more often.
Nope its easier for defenders now as most teams have a player protecting the cbs and also cbs only play against one striker. Before it was only one vs one battles. Now it is atleast 2 vs 1

Red Star One

as much as I was critical of him before the beginning of this season, at this very moment (i.e. chose the lads to play tomorrow) there is little discussion Maguire is there.
+ Varane, Marquinhos, Dias, Chiellini

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think Van Dijk can and will. The level he showed in his second season at Liverpool was arguably the best I've seen from a CB in about a decade, and he was very good for Southampton. Thiago Silva when he played last season was as good as any defender. He is just so good to watch, and gets the job done almost every single time. Hope he can get over the injuries and play for a few more years.
Yep, people are sleeping on him because of his age, alongside Mendy he's absolutely transformed us at the back.

Although that said at that age you are always vulnerable to a steep decline at any time no matter how good you still are ala Terry 14/15 vs 15/16 (luckily Christensen seems to be finally ready to step in whenever that time comes) but at this point if I didn't know his age and was told to guess I would never in a million years have said 36.

He seems beyond determined to play in the next world cup so all going well we will hopefully have him at his current level for another season and a half atleast.

Last edited:

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Yep, people are sleeping on him because of his age, alongside Mendy he's absolutely transformed us at the back.

Although that said at that age you are always vulnerable to a steep decline at any time no matter how good you still are ala Terry 14/15 vs 15/16 (luckily Christensen seems to be finally ready to step in whenever that time comes) but at this point if I didn't know his age and was told to guess I would never in a million years have said 36.

He seems beyond determined to play in the next world cup so all going well we will hopefully have him at his current level for another season and a half atleast.
Silva still one of the best defenders but not top 5 in my opinion. He wasted his peak years at PSG.

krentz

1. Van Dijk
2. Chiellini
3. Maguire
4. Ruben Dias
5. Marquinhos

Also what's with Chiellini? He has no business being so good at his age.

The worst?
1. Lenglet
2. Lindelof
3. Any Arsenal CB

1) Van Dijk
2) La Porte
3) Cheillini
4) Varane
5) De Ligt
Have you watched De Ligt lately? Hes been far worse than Lindelof, hehehe...

abundance

Supports
Inter
How would you rate the top 5 Serie A center backs?
mmm let's see

If we talk about best sustained performance over the last season, I'd pick the whole Inter trio plus Kjaer and Romero.

If we talk about players' quality... IMO Skriniar, Chiellini and Koulibaly are a class apart in pure defensive talent.

The other two spots can be any of De Vrij, Bastoni, Acerbi, Romero, De Ligt or Kiaer depending on one's tastes.
Bonucci can complete the top ten but never make top 5.
I also expect Tomiyasu to become very good.

krentz

Don't mean to be mean, but I would take Matip, Gomez and Konate way before I had to consider the Manchester Barge.
I dont remember people rated Matip or any Liverpool defenders before Van Dijk arrived.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Silva still one of the best defenders but not top 5 in my opinion. He wasted his peak years at PSG.
Top 5 is relative as as what was said on this thread earlier no one watches every defender (who could have an argument made for them) enough times to make a definitive selection but he has certainly been a top class defender for us.

Bar the two West Brom games and the City home game in January he's barely put a foot wrong all season.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Matip is really underrated here.

Bit weird also when you consider how many excellent performances he's had against the best opposition on the biggest stage. Yet Stones and Rudiger get mentions despite being horrible a year ago.

Strelok

That would be defenders in general. Since Cole and Evras generation retired I don’t see any world class left backs. At least none that come to mind. Right backs as well. Though I don’t watch as much as I used to, no one jumps to mind.

Doesn’t mean they all suck by any means, just don’t have that truly elite level in them.
Same thing you can say about strikers, midfielders etc. footballer in general. Don't know what's wrong but the whole football world just seems to stop producing those elite players. While there's more and more money in football. Probably that's why I think.

Young good players nowadays got rich with those big fat contracts a bit too early imo, also the Internet and all its distractions so most can't keep the same dedication, motivation and hunger like those previous generations.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Bit weird also when you consider how many excellent performances he's had against the best opposition on the biggest stage. Yet Stones and Rudiger get mentions despite being horrible a year ago.
Maybe something to do with the fact he’s played just 17 games over the last two seasons.

OverratedOpinion

Been injured for 2 years hasn't he?

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur

LB - Marcelo, Alba, Alaba, Filipe Luis are probably the standouts of the past decade. More recently Robertson and Davies.

RB - Alves, Carvajal, Kimmich, Lahm. Valencia and Walker are/were pretty good for most of the past ten years too.

Infra-red

Am I misremembering or were we linked heavily with De Vrij at one time? I wanna say it was during Van Gaal's time
Yes, definitely linked with us during Van Gaal's time (along with half of his Oranje team).

I remember reading that when Van Gaal joined United, he had been out of the club football scene for a little while and was completely unaware which players were decent, unless they were Dutch (or had recently played against the Netherlands). There probably was some truth in the links to De Vrij et al (and of course we went on to sign Depay, Blind, Valdes, Rojo, Schweinsteiger, Romero and Di Maria - all had previously played for Van Gaal or against his Netherlands side).

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

How do Chelsea fans rate Christensen? I don’t watch you a lot but he’s rated highly by Danish pundits and has been great in the Euro’s.

kaempen

Lucas Hernandez is one of the best and has been for about four years, rarely mentioned in these discussions.