Who are the top 5 centre-backs in the world?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
unless you watch every league it’s impossible to say. People that are saying people like De Ligt, Koulibaly & Chiellini probably barely ever watch them play & are rating them on reputation.

I agree but it's no more crazy than Maguire being in there.
I rate them at around the same level. I actually think they would make a good partnership.

dinostar77

Yes I put Pepe in there. Not sure if people actually watch him play. Dias looked like a child next to him this Euros. Not to forget his CL performances for Porto. Varane is too inconsistent for me to be top 5. Top 20 ok...
Portuguese bias for Pepe is the same as english/utd bias for Maguire. Fair enough. Though neither are top 5 in my own opinion.

Pepe in his prime at Madrid was very good.

dinostar77

unless you watch every league it’s impossible to say. People that are saying people like De Ligt, Koulibaly & Chiellini probably barely ever watch them play & are rating them on reputation.

I rate them at around the same level. I actually think they would make a good partnership.
No one here is a scout or has a full time job analysing players. We are fans and we make our own minds up from whatever matches we see these players play in. Of course there will be bias and judging on reputation goes with the territory.

Is that the question ? Top 5 cb, based on form, Pepe top 5 over the names I'm seeing banded about.
my question is whether he has that form over a season, can he do it week in week out at club level? I don’t watch Porto, so don’t know.

I wouldn’t make any definitive judgements on 4 Euros matches.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Lot of mental gymnastics to avoid naming Maguire. He’s brilliant.

I kind of get why. Centre backs like him, Terry, Adams, seem to need a solid Decade of success and titles to be deemed worthy. More elegant centre halves can have 3 good seasons and are thrown into the top bracket.

GueRed

I kind of get why. Centre backs like him, Terry, Adams, seem to need a solid Decade of success and titles to be deemed worthy. More elegant centre halves can have 3 good seasons and are thrown into the top bracket.
It's trendy to slander Maguire on the internet,

plus kids these days trying to be edgy.

If he wasnt english he'd be much higher rated

FatTails

I’m really only certain about Marquinhos. Even VVD, let’s see how he comes back after a lengthy injury.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Don't mean to be mean, but I would take Matip, Gomez and Konate way before I had to consider the Manchester Barge.
That’s cos you’re special.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I would say city s two defenders stones and Diaz,marquinhos,varane,rudiger all semi finalists in champions league with better defensive record this season in that competition.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not sure if Maguire or Dias are both top5 to be honest. People including De Ligt haven't seen him play for the last two years.

But it's genuinely hilarious how much underrated Maguire is. Also shows the complete lack of footballing knowledge.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure if Maguire or Dias are both top5 to be honest. People including De Ligt haven't seen him play for the last two years.

But it's genuinely hilarious how much underrated Maguire is. Also shows the complete lack of footballing knowledge.
No one is under rating Maguire. He's done good. That's all.

dinostar77

Maguire isn't in the same league as tony adams or martin keown. They weren't cornerstones of defenses conceeding over 40 goals. He's made mistake, been caught out etc.

However he only fair way to judge him will be when he has a proper partner. The very best CBs compliment each other. Terry and Carvalho, ferdinand and vidic, ramos and varane, pique a d puyol etc. So if we get a complimentary partner for maguire we will be in a better place to judge him fairly.

Bring in a WC CB to Utd and fans will realise just how far short we have fallen in our standards of CBs.

welshwingwizard

VVD and Dias are the standouts from our league. Ramos and Chiellini have been the top two of the last 10 years, but both are coming towards the end now.

Marquinhos is definitely up there and before injury I'd say Laporte as well.

Hard to believe that in the 00s Rio, Vidic, Terry, Carvalho, Stam, Maldini, Puyol, Cannavaro and Nesta were all playing. We had a real golden age of CBs.
I was thinking that about your golden age of CBs comments as well. In the premier league alone over a couple of years from the Invincibles to our 06/07 league win you had the 4 you have mentioned (Terry, Carvahlo, Rio and Vidic) but also Ledley King, Carragher, Hyypia, K Toure, Campbell (at his end) and Gallas (pre going a bit mad). All would be stand out players now.

Idxomer

I'm seeing some defenders getting overrated because of the Euros namely Chiellini and Bonucci, both have declined a lot.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Van Dijk, Maguire, Dias, Silva , Hernandez.

I think the first three are crystal clear. Silva has the been the cornerstone in Chelsea's back three (since Tuche's been in, very hard to beat) and he's been organizing it. Hernandez looked very, very good against Paris. I know most of the time it's been Alaba and Boateng, but for me he's already there, just has to play there consistently which will be the case in the upcoming season, IMO.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
VVD, Dias, Marquinhos are currently a class above.

After that you could probably make a case for 10-12 other guys, all of whom have strengths and weaknesses and tend to shine in the right system and with the right partners but can look crap otherwise.

rojo81

Supports
Juventus

De light has been brilliant. Outside of a really bad patch on his first games at Juve when he seemed to make a stupid mistake that ended in a goal every game, he has been really good.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Maguire isn't in the same league as tony adams or martin keown. They weren't cornerstones of defenses conceeding over 40 goals. He's made mistake, been caught out etc.

However he only fair way to judge him will be when he has a proper partner. The very best CBs compliment each other. Terry and Carvalho, ferdinand and vidic, ramos and varane, pique a d puyol etc. So if we get a complimentary partner for maguire we will be in a better place to judge him fairly.

Bring in a WC CB to Utd and fans will realise just how far short we have fallen in our standards of CBs.
Fcuking hell. Maguire is light years better than Keown. Jesus Christ people are mad.

Keown was a decent jobbing centre half. Not in the top 50 centre halves to play in the Premier League. Perhaps not in the top 100. A Poundland Steve Bruce.

Adams was probably marginally better than Maguire at everything. Comparing him to Keown is also insulting.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
It's trendy to slander Maguire on the internet,

plus kids these days trying to be edgy.

If he wasnt english he'd be much higher rated
Bizarre logic given Harry Kane is widely regarded as one of the best strikers on the planet and has been for ages now.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Bizarre logic given Harry Kane is widely regarded as one of the best strikers on the planet and has been for ages now.
He’s talking about Maguire mate.

Someone who is output linked like Kane has fewer discussions around them. Numbers speak for forwards.

Toad

Bravo to those that are able to put 5 players from different leagues in their top 5. You guys must watch football 24/7.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
He’s talking about Maguire mate.

Someone who is output linked like Kane has fewer discussions around them. Numbers speak for forwards.
I know he is. My point is that 'being English' has never held Kane back in terms of getting his due from fans nor did it ever hold guys like Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard or even Beckham back.

Maguire isn't widely regarded as a top 5 defender because he isn't one.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Van Dijk
Marquinhos
Dias
Chiellini
Thiago Silva

Maguire needs a good trophy to be in any kind of conversation. Feels extremely harsh leaving Ramos and Varane out given what they've achieved but struggle to put them ahead of any of these 5.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I know he is. My point is that 'being English' has never held Kane back in terms of getting his due from fans nor did it ever hold guys like Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard or even Beckham back.

Maguire isn't widely regarded as a top 5 defender because he isn't one.
It held Terry, Neville and Cole back.

Easily as good as their European peers. It took 7-10 years to be out in the top bracket. We don’t trumpet defenders here. It’s different.

Dante

Average bang
Maguire is definitely top 5.

He gets underrated on here because Football Managers experts were personally offended by his transfer fee.

He's basically the English Hummels but less prone to injuries. Both are/were top 5 in their prime.

Adams was an outstanding player. Much of his time was before the inception of the PL, so perhaps a bit like McGrath he gets forgotten about. Both were brilliant players - no doubt a product of their time, in terms of getting wankered and fitness…

However. Maguire is easily a better player than Keown. Average player. Did well at Arsenal because he was surrounded by one of the best defences we have seen. Average.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Maguire is definitely top 5.

He gets underrated on here because Football Managers experts were personally offended by his transfer fee.

He's basically the English Hummels but less prone to injuries. Both are/were top 5 in their prime.
Definately top 5 no but he is a good player

Jam

Don't mean to be mean, but I would take Matip, Gomez and Konate way before I had to consider the Manchester Barge.
And I’d rather have Daniel James over Salah you mad bastard. There’s club bias and then there’s this.

JPB

Harry Maguire
Harry Maguire
Harry Maguire
Harry Maguire
Harry maguire

Jam

It's become a bit of a position where there really aren't [m]any names who are proven world class CBs, so it really does vary from season to season.

Koulibably was supposedly number 1 a few years ago, for about 12-18 months. Dias is having his moment in the sunshine right now. Van Dijk is probably the constant since he's joined Liverpool, but after being out for an entire season - who knows if he's still top dawg entertainment?

I think there's a whole bunch of good CBs across Europe - likes of Varane, Maguire, de Vrij, De Ligt etc. who all push into 'top 5' form for periods, but I don't think there's any one you can straight up put in top 5 with assurance.
This is the most sensible take, we’ve only had a couple that have been top the entirety of the last five seasons.

We’re in a period with a lot of “good” centre halves taking turns having world class 12 month periods.

You could pick out the top five now, but the top five over the last five years will be very different depending on who people have seen the most of.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
It held Terry, Neville and Cole back.

Easily as good as their European peers. It took 7-10 years to be out in the top bracket. We don’t trumpet defenders here. It’s different.
Ashley Cole? He was widely regarded as the best LB in the world for years!

Eddy_JukeZ

Don't get how people are putting Van Dijk 1st when he's been out for so long and you've no idea how he'll recover

+ He was in a blip prior to his injury too