Who are the top 5 centre-backs in the world?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
How do Chelsea fans rate Christensen? I don’t watch you a lot but he’s rated highly by Danish pundits and has been great in the Euro’s.
He was brilliant when he first came in the team but the mistake vs Barcelona set him back and then he had a bit of instability for a while with Sarri never picking him and Lampard's system plus Kepa in goal exposing all our defenders but since Tuchel has arrived he looks to be finally fulfilling his potential we all knew he had as a teenager.

I was wary of writing him off because I knew how good he could be (even more so when a similar player in Stones suddenly had a resurgence) but a lot of fans gave up on him.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Van Dijk
Dias
Marquinhos
Thiago Silva
Chiellini
Pepe
Ramos
Maguire
Godin
Bonucci

So yeah Varane isn't close to top 5. Damning indictment of modern defending when you look at the age of those players.

romufc

I am surprised to see Laporte and De Ligt in the lists tbf.

De Ligt has been average to good but no where near world class since his move to Juve.

Laporte had 1 good season, an injury and has never been able to get himself back in the City team. Not world class if you cannot get into the first 11.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
He was brilliant when he first came in the team but the mistake vs Barcelona set him back and then he had a bit of instability for a while with Sarri never picking him and Lampard's system plus Kepa in goal exposing all our defenders but since Tuchel has arrived he looks to be finally fulfilling his potential we all knew he had as a teenager.

I was wary of writing him off because I knew how good he could be (even more so when a similar player in Stones suddenly had a resurgence) but a lot of fans gave up on him.
Christensen is very good on the ball.Still have that occasional blip in him mostly struggled against physical opponents. He needed to play for manager who have trust in him.

As I said even greatest defenders had that blips in them but coming to Christensen those moments came to mind more than his great moments like certain Luiz who won cl,pl,el,fa cup.

Proof he is more than good defender came in champions league final when Thiago Silva injured he just made there is no loss in defense.Fish in the water moment that was.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

Cheers. As I said, I don’t watch you enough to make an informed opinion, but based on the Euro’s, he’s a great defender who’s likely only getting better.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Van Dijk
Dias
Marquinhos
Thiago Silva
Chiellini
Pepe
Ramos
Maguire
Godin
Bonucci

So yeah Varane isn't close to top 5. Damning indictment of modern defending when you look at the age of those players.
Van Dijk
Dias
Marquinhos
Thiago Silva

Chiellini (someone sign him up!)
Pepe
Ramos
Maguire
Godin
Bonucc
i
Laporte
Stones
Rüdiger

TwoSheds

Van Dijk
Dias
Marquinhos
Thiago Silva

Pepe
Ramos
Maguire
Godin
Bonucc
i
Laporte
Stones
Rüdiger
Rudiger better than Thiago :lol:

He's not even better than Zouma tbf. Cool mask though.

Red Comet

1. Harry Maguire
2. Victor Lindelof
3. Eric Bailly
4. Phil Jones
5. Axel Tuanzebe

word

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Rudiger better than Thiago :lol:

He's not even better than Zouma tbf. Cool mask though.
The same thought was applied by Lampard and cost his job. Without Thiago chelsea played quite comfortably under tuchel but without rudiger chelsea didn't.

Arsenal game came to my mind in that run in. When zouma struggled with the ball and sequence of events with jorgi . Zouma is good defender no doubt but rudiger not even better than zouma in your dream I guess. :lol: .

Rudiger is our best defender since tuchel took over not even Silva in my opinion based on watching every minute chelsea played.

TwoSheds

The same thought was applied by Lampard and cost his job. Without Thiago chelsea played quite comfortably under tuchel but without rudiger chelsea didn't.

Arsenal game came to my mind in that run in. When zouma struggled with the ball and sequence of events with jorgi . Zouma is good defender no doubt but rudiger not even better than zouma in your dream I guess. :lol: .

Rudiger is our best defender since tuchel took over not even Silva in my opinion based on watching every minute chelsea played.
Yeah that's the only difference between the two managers :lol:

Rudiger was getting mugged off by Ronaldo and even Bukayo Saka in this Euros - he's good but he's really not world class. Watch Pepe and Dias defending against Lukaku and then you'll see what a world class CB performance looks like. Also if France had played Zouma instead of Kimpembé I don't think they'd have gone out against Switzerland and they might even have won it.

Wal

Supports
Chelsea
Van Dijk
Chellini
Dias
Thiago Silva
Maquire

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Rudiger was getting mugged off by Ronaldo and even Bukayo Saka in this Euros - he's good but he's really not world class. Watch Pepe and Dias defending against Lukaku and then you'll see what a world class CB performance looks like. Also if France had played Zouma instead of Kimpembé I don't think they'd have gone out against Switzerland and they might even have won it.
You must be something mate. The same world class pepe and Diaz struggled to contain germany and outmuscled by havertz. You simply can't isolate incidents to ridicule the defender.

Rudiger is better than Silva this season for chelsea and you not watched chelsea regularly that's also my guess. It's fine everyone make mistake. This argument ends here

TwoSheds

You must be something mate. The same world class pepe and Diaz struggled to contain germany and outmuscled by havertz. You simply can't isolate incidents to ridicule the defender.

Rudiger is better than Silva this season for chelsea and you not watched chelsea regularly that's also my guess. It's fine everyone make mistake. This argument ends here
I don't think you watched that Germany Portugal game then. Literally all came from poor tactics and having a shocking right back.

SAFMUTD

Van Dijk
Dias
Marquinhos
Thiago Silva
Chiellini
Pepe
Ramos
Maguire
Godin
Bonucci

Godin isn't remotely close to what he used to be, I don't think you've watched him lately.

romufc

Van Dijk
Dias
Marquinhos
Thiago Silva

Pepe
Ramos
Maguire
Godin
Bonucc
i
Laporte
Stones
Rüdiger
:lol: :lol:

Rudiger, that is quite a joke.

Laporte, another joke. A WC CB but cannot get into the Man City team?

Looks like you are basing WC on 6 months of football?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: :lol:

Rudiger, that is quite a joke.

Laporte, another joke. A WC CB but cannot get into the Man City team?

Looks like you are basing WC on 6 months of football?
Tbf that's an improvement on some here who base it on their last match :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Are the Chelsea mob basing their assessment of Rudiger solely on the past few months? Absolutely mental
I don't agree with the assessments of him being top 5 (I think Christensen has the higher ceiling of the two) but it's not just 5 months he's been good for, he was excellent under both Conte and Sarri aswell.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't agree with the assessments of him being top 5 (I think Christensen has the higher ceiling of the two) but it's not just 5 months he's been good for, he was excellent under both Conte and Sarri aswell.
Yeah I think he's good myself but not top 5

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

Er what dias was fecking shit against Belgium and all tournament

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
So, Maguire. Are you lot ready to start removing his name from this thread? Honestly it's only two games in and it's already embarrassing. Was embarrassing before too but it's Redcafe so some leeway given.

Liverpool (with the injured VvD, what shape will he come back, already in a blip before his injury, lolz) have conceded 0 goals with a worse squad than Utd (see the other "best squads" thread so no excuses please). Utd have already conceded 2 with defenders supposedly better than Matip, Konate and Gomez.

Maguire made a relegation battling Adams seem like peak Lukaku by giving up possession and strangely taking a BLM knee while Adams scored. I mean WTF was that?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
So, Maguire. Are you lot ready to start removing his name from this thread? Honestly it's only two games in and it's already embarrassing. Was embarrassing before too but it's Redcafe so some leeway given.

Liverpool (with the injured VvD, what shape will he come back, already in a blip before his injury, lolz) have conceded 0 goals with a worse squad than Utd (see the other "best squads" thread so no excuses please). Utd have already conceded 2 with defenders supposedly better than Matip, Konate and Gomez.

Maguire made a relegation battling Adams seem like peak Lukaku by giving up possession and strangely taking a BLM knee while Adams scored. I mean WTF was that?
I'd give it some more games before confidently having this attitude tbh. Maguire was very good last year and for England at the Euros, haven't seen anything of Utd this season but two games is hardly a good sample size. Also, Utd having a better squad doesn't give them an advantage at this moment since our whole squad is still fit, I think it's quite unanimously agreed on here as well that we still have a superior starting XI so their squad advantage will only come into play once injuries start to pile up further down the season.

Also we played Burnley and Norwich so far - and it's not even like Burnley didn't have their chances either last Saturday. Van Dijk has looked good so far but let's see how he does against Lukaku this upcoming weekend. It's been an encouraging start no doubt though, plenty of reasons for optimism.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ramos, VVD, Varane, chiellini, bonnuci, these are easily top 5 IMO.

swissgenius

Not biting at your Liverpool comments, since they're a bit premature after 2 games... And no one here denies that VVD is world class, he would comfortably be the best CB at United since Vidic.

Maguire on the other hand, is really worrying me. Not because of those 2 weekends but in general. Thought he looked average to awful for most of last season and the Caf seemed to agree that we overpaid heavily for him.
While Lindelöf had worse slips overall, he at least contributed somewhat offensively, Maguire hardly ever made forward passes and his slowmotion turn-arounds kept putting us under pressure. They both had their good stretches, but it certainly was not a season to write home about defensively...

Somehow, probably because of his solid EC campaign, Maguire convinced the fanbase that he was a WC centre back.
It seems like some kind of wishful thinking that suddenly, the fans looked at our CB duo as poor (Lindelöf) and top class (Maguire) instead of two solid but error-prone Dmen.
In that case, a WC defender like Varane, would solve our problems instantly, because the poor one can be replaced. In reality, if he wasn't our captain and transfer record CB, it could become an open battle for that 2nd spot.

I'll give it some more time, but 2 games in to the new season, I've already seen 3 sequences of him that really made me question his defensive awareness.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

I am not Maguire's biggest fan by any means but saying that after two games into new season, and completely forgetting the Euros he had jutlst month or so ago is more embarassing than anything you named there.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I am not Maguire's biggest fan by any means but saying that after two games into new season, and completely forgetting the Euros he had jutlst month or so ago is more embarassing than anything you named there.
You know who you quoted, right? He lives for attention on here — don’t feed him.

An Ayling 30 yard screamer + a deflected Fred own goal = Maguire bad

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
What Euro's campaign? Barring Italy and Germany, the one where the opposition were lower than mediocre countries? I have forgotten nothing about the summer. You're just making your own life difficult by actually thinking the Euro's is a thing.

Onwards to Wolves and Traore/Jiminez v Maguire. Then it will be "silly Dumbstar after only 3 games".

Chekov

Supports
Internazionale
Am surprised to not see Skriniar on more lists. In my opinion a top 5 centre back.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
You know who you quoted, right? He lives for attention on here — don’t feed him.

An Ayling 30 yard screamer + a deflected Fred own goal = Maguire bad
Yeah, that was on me.