Who decided to sign Van De Beek?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don't think he will get much of a chance to be honest. The signing totally baffled me from day 1. I think we must have thought Pogba was going and Van de Beek was to replace him. It's a real shame for the player. I don't think Ole is completely to blame, I think Donny and his agent should have looked closer at the situation. He made a bad move, it's ruined his career for the moment. He can recover from it, but not here. He's had a bad set back here. He has to take a step back and move on and rebuild his confidence and his career somewhere else. There's blame on both sides, it just looks a bad fit and a bad move overall.
100% this (and also a bit of: Damn we ran Bruno into the ground, it'd be great to have another top #10 to rotate him with).

Until/unless Pogba leaves United Donny is going to be warming the bench. Again, I'm pretty sure United thought Pogba would go this summer. Look at the poster on Old Trafford. It seems to show every player except Pogba. That was United pretty much preparing for him not to be around and I'm sure they think he won't sign a new deal.

However, while Pogba is here he will be used because he's better than Donny. And since Donny, Pogba and Bruno is far too open for most games, Donny is going to be the one who misses out. Cos Ole will always want a bit of bite alongside Pogba when he's playing centrally and, unless he's very different in training, Donny ain't that.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think he was signed as an alternative to Grealish, who at one point was a target for us as a backup to Bruno. Obviously Grealish would’ve made more sense as he can play left too, but after Villa stayed up his price (and form) went through the roof.

He was never signed to be a starter.

clarkydaz

his agent has supposedly said when Donny came Ole told them a different system would be played.

Betson

His attitude seems good , all the extra training over the summer to beef himself up etc , I reckon he knows he needs to perform now in any chance he might get.

I hope he gets that chance to show he can do it here.

But also to be fair to Ole, Donny has not really taken the few chances he has been given , has seemed very meek and unwilling to take chances , just neatly passing back or sideways a few yards anytime you get the ball is not going to cut it at Utd.

Was it the Liverpool(not sure) game last season where he came on and had ran onto a ball and had a one on one with a Liverpool defender to get in on goal , and instead of taking the chance and going at him he just doubled back and safely laid the ball off to nearest Utd player , good attacking position wasted. Ole was raging on the sideline and Donny got very few games after that.

Smores

His attitude seems good , all the extra training over the summer to beef himself up etc , I reckon he knows he needs to perform now in any chance he might get.

But also to be fair to Ole, Donny has not really taken the few chances he has been given , has seemed very meek and unwilling to take chances , just neatly passing back or sideways a few yards anytime you get the ball is not going to cut it at Utd.

Was it the Liverpool(not sure) game last season where he came on and had ran onto a ball and had a one on one with a Liverpool defender to get in on goal , and instead of taking the chance and going at him he just doubled back and safely laid the ball off to nearest Utd player , good attacking position wasted. Ole was raging on the sideline and Donny got very few games after that.
You say that but there's a lot to be said for someone who can consistently circulate the ball in the opposition third. Not every midfielder needs to be incisive and go for the creative ball where 9/10 you lose possession.

We spent a lot of time under Fergie in his closing seasons doing just that, going left to right, back and forth, and letting our wingers stretch the play.

For certain games where we're in the opponents final third i think he'd be useful enough now that we've got decent wide options. When we're setup on the counter i can't see him fitting in.

Judas

Open to offers
I think he was signed as an alternative to Grealish, who at one point was a target for us as a backup to Bruno. Obviously Grealish would’ve made more sense as he can play left too, but after Villa stayed up his price (and form) went through the roof.

He was never signed to be a starter.
Yep this is how see it too, and it was the most spoken about narrative at the time too, yet oddly doesn't seem to be spoken about as much now.

Some people I think choose to forget just how much we seemed to want Grealish and how close that deal was :(

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yep this is how see it too, and it was the most spoken about narrative at the time too, yet oddly doesn't seem to be spoken about as much now.

Some people I think choose to forget just how much we seemed to want Grealish and how close that deal was :(
Goal line technology failing stopped us signing Grealish. If that goal counts, Villa go down, we get Grealish for about 45m. It probably worked out better for him though as sitting on our bench behind Bruno/Rashy he wouldn't have developed the way he did as Villa's star player.

Water Melon

Do we really believe that Ole was not consulted during Donny's transfer? Was it not Ole who had the final say? Come on now. Donny is Ole's decision and is his responsibility.

Andersonson

Do we really believe that Ole was not consulted during Donny's transfer? Was it not Ole who had the final say? Come on now. Donny is Ole's decision and is his responsibility.
Is every transfer a guarantee hit?
Shouldn't a manager trust his scouts and analyst staff?
Is everything down to the manager?

This is the 14th Donny thread now and he still hasn't had a good game for us.

Jesus wept stop the whining

Water Melon

Is every transfer a guarantee hit?
Shouldn't a manager trust his scouts and analyst staff?
Is everything down to the manager?

This is the 14th Donny thread now and he still hasn't had a good game for us.

Jesus wept stop the whining
I am yet to see myself whining, just told the blatant truth. Transfer of VdB is on Ole as well. He himself told several times that transfers are done by his request and approval. As for you, gotta start reading what is written, not what is imagined by you. Ciao.

Andersonson

I am yet to see myself whining, just told the blatant truth. Transfer of VdB is on Ole as well. He himself told several times that transfers are done by his request and approval. As for you, gotta start reading what is written, not what is imagined by you. Ciao.
You're whining about a player not playing and the reasons behind him being bought.

Several times. Fine that you're a huge fan and everything, but give it a rest already.

He just had is first season in the premier league, coming from the dutch league. He might even need two seasons to adapt. If he still doesn't adapt during this season it's good bye

mister_olumide

Supports
tottenham

Player confidence crisis is a thing.
The coach would literally have to work with him closely to get him anything close to his former self. Best thing for him would be to move to a team that needs him. Maybe play a bit in the Serie A or Spain.

Mr PG

Come on people. Donny is intelligent enough and technically gifted to adjust his game. Just look at Lukaku it took Conte to elevate him to a £100m footballer and yet he’s been around the premier league forever.

what Donny needs is time and confidence and if he can transition he’d be a cracking player.

Last edited: