Who decided to sign Van De Beek?

Robertd0803

Yeah i suppose. He was our last signing that window though i believe. There was a definite sense that we needed a signing and that there was a scramble to locate a credible name.
Wasnt he the first? Amad, Pellestri and Cavani all came after.

Foxbatt

If Ronaldo signs for City then whoever who signed him is certainly more than an idiot.

RedDevilQuebecois

Why are we so obsessed with playing, or not playing, this player?

Pretty simple really, he’s been given limited chances but has been bang average every time, with the pressure on Ole to provide results VDB needed to prove himself reliable.
Say that to Fred. That guy is murdering us being consistently shit while given far more minutes than anyone can chew.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Do people think he’s performing better than Fred day in day out in training and still being overlooked?

RedDevilQuebecois

Do people think he’s performing better than Fred day in day out in training and still being overlooked?
One thing that is certain is that no one will be able to give a solid and definitive opinion until he gets a long stretches of matches, of which Fred and Havertz have been given the benefit of the doubt. Fred has been given far too much playing time than he deserves.

davidmichael

Whoever it was it certainly wasn’t Ole unless VDB has been fecking Ole’s missus, to be constantly overlooked in favour of Fred who is fecking awful when McTominay isn’t alongside him means Ole doesn’t want VDB at all.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Whoever it was it certainly wasn’t Ole unless VDB has been fecking Ole’s missus, to be constantly overlooked in favour of Fred who is fecking awful when McTominay isn’t alongside him means Ole doesn’t want VDB at all.
I dont think any player gets signed unless the manager agrees to it.

There were some rumors around that for example Sanchez was predominantly a Woodward signing and that Jose was lukewarm in signing him, but who the feck knows? None of us are privy to what goes on in the boardroom.

What we can say with certianty is that Ole clearly does not rate him so he was clearly poorly scouted

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The club purchased the player.

Van De Beek should be very visible in wanting the ball and show the coaches what he can do both training or any minutes he gets in games. If there isn't an obvious opening at his favoured position ask the coaches if he can be coached to play elsewhere.

Polar

Ole didn’t initiate the transfer and wasn’t the driving force behind this transfer. He could have stopped it, but didn’t use his veto. Ole obviously thought VDB was an ok alternative (worth a try) and a low risk investment. He definitely thought VDB potentially had a future in United.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Ole didn’t initiate the transfer and wasn’t the driving force behind this transfer. He could have stopped it, but didn’t use his veto. Ole obviously thought VDB was an ok alternative (worth a try) and a low risk investment. He definitely thought VDB potentially had a future in United.
Are you Ole? How are you stating all this as fact?

Regalia

Hilarious that the Ole fanatics are still defending him even for this. Bet if VDB suddenly starts lighting the place up, this transfer will suddenly become some kind Ole calculated masterclass. Please don't make yourselves look even worse. Ole definitely had a hand in signing him but now doesn't know how to use him because VDB isn't the kind of 'individual brilliance, pull something out of the bag' player he relies on. As for the argument that Fred and Scott aren't either, they're just players he is more comfortable with and have worked with longer, so Ole just trusts them more, somewhat irrationally, because he isn't a very innovative/brave manager.

OrcaFat

It boils down to the fee which looks a bit high relative to the return he has provided so far. I still think it is too soon to say he was a bad signing but probably we overpaid. He could still come good.

Abraxas

Hilarious that the Ole fanatics are still defending him even for this. Bet if VDB suddenly starts lighting the place up, this transfer will suddenly become some kind Ole calculated masterclass. Please don't make yourselves look even worse. Ole definitely had a hand in signing him but now doesn't know how to use him because VDB isn't the kind of 'individual brilliance, pull something out of the bag' player he relies on. As for the argument that Fred and Scott aren't either, they're just players he is more comfortable with and have worked with longer, so Ole just trusts them more, somewhat irrationally, because he isn't a very innovative/brave manager.
The bizarre thing about this post is you're convinced of an agenda to defend Ole in relation to this transfer but then make up your own scenario from thin air for an eventuality where DVB improves. Perhaps it is you that has an issue assessing things with a clear head because that isn't a very rational thought process.

Not everything is driven by some kind of agenda. It's a strange and disappointing transfer, searching for explanation is not exactly the same as defending the manager. Mainly because even if the premise of the thread is correct (which I don't happen to agree with) - ultimately the manager is still on the hook for it because he's the figurehead of the transfer department anyway. Even if Woodward was a driving force he hasn't produced the signing from absolutely nowhere.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He's just saying what he thinks happened. It doesn't take a genius to imagine "I think" at the start of the post. Everyone is speculating here.
He states a lot of things as fact, it's the certainty that bothers me. I'll leave the imagining to others and try to respond to what was written.

lostcauz

youtu.be/RZVJu0s9uMc

This video sums it up really.
He likes to keep it simple as a DM, The ball wouldn’t be going forward if he played next to Fred. He wouldn’t cope at all playing next to Pogba. I don’t see what attributes people are seeing that would make him have a meaningful impact from that position. Saying play anyone but Fred isn’t the answer.

His best role would be as a second striker or in a midfield 3 but only with a quality DM that we don’t have and by the time we do, VDB will be gone and Pogba/Mctominay would still play ahead of him.

Esquire

If that’s the case then a lot of people at the club deserve to be sacked from the scouting and transfer teams. that’s poor investment strategy for a 40m player.

Strelok

Imo regardless of who came first with the idea of buying VDB Ole definitely had a say in this transfer. So he's responsible. So far this has been a bad one. But imo it's quite normal. No manager has a perfect record when it comes to transfer, even the best. Imo Ole has probably one of the best successful ratios in the world when it comes to transfer. Of all his purchases so far only VDB is truly a disappointment. James might be regarded as another one but we sold him for a nice profit and he did contribute a bit so imo we can not count James as a failed transfer.

VDB was not really expensive, still young with a relatively low wage so we definitely could recoup at least half of the fee so big deal if it doesn't work at all.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think Ole doesn't use his squad well. He made same mistake when he didn't give enough mins to Fred and McTominay after restart and kept playing Matic when he barely moved. VdB is also facing the same problem, lack of trust from the manager for whatever reason.

Ole has lot of good qualities as a coach and he has built a very good squad but he should trust his squad and make full use of it.

Polar

If that’s the case then a lot of people at the club deserve to be sacked from the scouting and transfer teams. that’s poor investment strategy for a 40m player.
As you know United often involve ex-players in the process, example Giggs, EVDS.

Anyway…. I think it’s to early to conclude regarding VDB.

yipthatman

A lot of scouting is theorizing. You can't ever know for sure. Sometimes signings don't work. Sometimes they take a couple of seasons. No way of knowing if a player works out until the player is integrated fully into the team and gets full confidence and a good run of games. They have to earn that right by impressing the manager in training and when they are brought on as a sub. The main problem is who do you drop for Donny? I wouldn't drop anyone from our starting 11 the last few games for him. He will get chances when Ole needs to mix it up with a sub or someone gets injured. Its really up to Donny to make it work. All Ole can do is give him his chance and play him properly. I think calling for people in the scouting department to get the sack is a bit harsh. There will always be players that are scouted and then they cannot integrate for whatever reason. There is hope for Donny still. I think the campaign by certain sections of the fanbase that he is entitled to start because he was good at Ajax and has had a couple of good games at United is flawed though. If Ole plays him and he has a shocker it could break him at this stage. His confidence is shot to sh*t.

Strelok

I think Ole doesn't use his squad well. He made same mistake when he didn't give enough mins to Fred and McTominay after restart and kept playing Matic when he barely moved. VdB is also facing the same problem, lack of trust from the manager for whatever reason.

Ole has lot of good qualities as a coach and he has built a very good squad but he should trust his squad and make full use of it.
Imo this is a bit unfair to Ole. You're correct in saying he made a mistake in playing Matic Pogba instead of Fred McT back then. But imo it's not the case with VDB. At least not yet.

The difference here is Fred and McT were actually giving decent performances the season before. While I wouldn't say the same about VDB. Based on his performances for us so far imo he's basically an average attacking midfielder with an eye for the goal. You remove the goal part and what you get is an average AM.

Regarding him as a CM, he may have some use in the CL but playing him in the PL would be a very bad idea imo. He's simply too weak and too slow, the physical challenges and the intensity in the PL would be simply too much for him. And his tendency to pass backward. At least Matic still has the strength and may pass the ball forward. Pogba, despite not even a proper midfielder imo is still miles better than VDB.

Of course there is always a chance he might turn things around but tbh imo that chance is very very small. I have the same feeling to this as I felt about James. Very good lad but simply not good enough for us and for the sake of both the sooner he leaves the better. Next season when we buy a new midfielder we'll move him on I think.

roonster09

Scout
Imo this is a bit unfair to Ole. You're correct in saying he made a mistake in playing Matic Pogba instead of Fred McT back then. But imo it's not the case with VDB. At least not yet.

The difference here is Fred and McT were actually giving decent performances the season before. While I wouldn't say the same about VDB. Based on his performances for us so far imo he's basically an average attacking midfielder with an eye for the goal. You remove the goal part and what you get is an average AM.

Regarding him as a CM, he may have some use in the CL but playing him in the PL would be a very bad idea imo. He's simply too weak and too slow, the physical challenges and the intensity in the PL would be simply too much for him. And his tendency to pass backward. At least Matic still has the strength and may pass the ball forward. Pogba, despite not even a proper midfielder imo is still miles better than VDB.

Of course there is always a chance he might turn things around but tbh imo that chance is very very small. I have the same feeling to this as I felt about James. Very good lad but simply not good enough for us and for the sake of both the sooner he leaves the better. Next season when we buy a new midfielder we'll move him on I think.
I'm also among the posters who don't rate him highly and I don't like players who goes for safe passing.

Saying that, we have spent big money on him. Lets assume what you said is spot on, then why did we sign him? At least we should sell him and sign a CM who gives more balance to the team.

I also feel he wasn't give proper chances, we all know players take time to adapt and get to the speed. He played around 1400 mins which was spread across many games with 5-10 mins here and there. So my post is contradicting, I don't think he showed enough or good enough and also I feel he wasn't given chances.

Polar

If Ole plays him and he has a shocker it could break him at this stage.
Absolutely agree. Ole have to make him super ready before he go all in and give him trust and try him as a regular starter over a period. Ole know he has one shot in this regard, and he have to spend it wisely. That’s why also we have to be a little bit patient. Let him adapt as much as possible and develop physically.

I think his final test will come in 2022. Either he break through or not. It’s probably 50/50.

Strelok

I'm also among the posters who don't rate him highly and I don't like players who goes for safe passing.

Saying that, we have spent big money on him. Lets assume what you said is spot on, then why did we sign him? At least we should sell him and sign a CM who gives more balance to the team.

I also feel he wasn't give proper chances, we all know players take time to adapt and get to the speed. He played around 1400 mins which was spread across many games with 5-10 mins here and there. So my post is contradicting, I don't think he showed enough or good enough and also I feel he wasn't given chances.
Imo we simply made a mistake signing him. But we couldn't find a decent offer for him yet especially in this covid climate. We're in no hurry as he's young and his wage is relatively low with a long contract. There's also a possibility that Ole still see something in him that he'd turn things around but tbh that's very small I think. Or he might keep him simply for depth. Probably all of the above imo.

roonster09

Scout
Imo we simply made a mistake signing him. But we couldn't find a decent offer for him yet especially in this covid climate. We're in no hurry as he's young and his wage is relatively low with a long contract. There's also a possibility that Ole still see something in him that he'd turn things around but tbh that's very small I think. Or he might keep him simply for depth. Probably all of the above imo.
Yeah but depth should be just for the sake of it. Player should be trusted to play.

I think he will get chances, at least going by his agent. Hopefully he will make full use of it.

Strelok

Yeah but depth should be just for the sake of it. Player should be trusted to play.

I think he will get chances, at least going by his agent. Hopefully he will make full use of it.
Yeah I think he'll definitely get his chances especially when the CL start. We'll be playing a lot of matches and imo he'd do pretty fine in the CL group matches. But the PL is another story, there's still hope but quite small I think. We'll see.

Noc-Z

ffs
I don't think he will get much of a chance to be honest. The signing totally baffled me from day 1. I think we must have thought Pogba was going and Van de Beek was to replace him. It's a real shame for the player. I don't think Ole is completely to blame, I think Donny and his agent should have looked closer at the situation. He made a bad move, it's ruined his career for the moment. He can recover from it, but not here. He's had a bad set back here. He has to take a step back and move on and rebuild his confidence and his career somewhere else. There's blame on both sides, it just looks a bad fit and a bad move overall.