Who decided to sign Van De Beek?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The problem with VDB is that he's the exact opposite of the players we usually go for.

We tend to go for great athletes with one or two exceptions and the players we have all love their time time on the ball to dribble, whereas VDB is more of a player who passes the ball quickly and tries to make runs in order to get the ball back quickly and try to drag defenders out of position.

Problem is that he's not getting the ball back quickly and it gives time for opposing team to get back into place and it kills off whatever VDB is trying to do.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The problem with VDB is that he's the exact opposite of the players we usually go for.

We tend to go for great athletes with one or two exceptions and the players we have all love their time time on the ball to dribble, whereas VDB is more of a player who passes the ball quickly and tries to make runs in order to get the ball back quickly and try to drag defenders out of position.

Problem is that he's not getting the ball back quickly and it gives time for opposing team to get back into place and it kills off whatever VDB is trying to do.
I agree.

I have enjoyed watching Ole's "play to an Individuals strength" motive, compared to having watched the tactical heavy approach of Van Gaal and Mourinho.

However, Van De Beeks Individual strengths seems much more about movements and achieving things playing to a team's tactics.

I just hope it clicks one day here at United - but I personally don't see him as a CM in a double pivot.

yipthatman

I always felt that VDB should have gone to City and Grealish should have gone to United.

future2future

Total mismatch. DvB is not suited for the system and way United plays. I think in another system he can flourish, best thing for both parties is to leave on a loan. No club is going to pay a reasonable fee for him now.

Noc-Z

ffs
The signing was baffling to me from day 1, although at the time I was told "we're in Europe and have lots of games, he will get play time" and I kind of accepted that and thought yeah he'll get minutes in the League Cup or whatever, but even that hasn't come to pass. I think we thought Pogba was going and De Beek was his replacement. It obviously didn't happen and he just doesn't have a place here.

Our whole transfer policy (if there is one) baffles me. We wouldn't pay up for Sancho last year but we splash out on Amad and Pellistri. We buy De Beek, all the while with no reliable CDM. We needed a RW and a CB last year (we've needed a RW for years and years), we have these now but we are always chasing our tails. Next year we'll need a top striker. I don't know if there is a thread to discuss our general transfer policy, I wish there was as it's what is bugging me so I've vented it here as the De Beek signing is a big part of it.

kaNNz

The thing is every foreign coach will put Donny ahead of likes of Fred, Scot, Matic.

Scholsey2004

The thing is every foreign coach will put Donny ahead of likes of Fred, Scot, Matic.
No, look at ziyech at Chelsea. He's struggled too. The Eredivisie is pretty weak nowadays so performing well there is no real guarantee of quality. I think Donny was over-rated because of the past Real interest and we were Fellaini style panic buying at the end of a transfer window and just snatched up a player whose name was recognisable.

roseguy64

No, look at ziyech at Chelsea. He's struggled too. The Eredivisie is pretty weak nowadays so performing well there is no real guarantee of quality. I think Donny was over-rated because of the past Real interest and we were Fellaini style panic buying at the end of a transfer window and just snatched up a player whose name was recognisable.
He wasn't bought at the end of the transfer window...?

Scholsey2004

Nah, didn't we buy him early in the window?
Not unless you count 30th of August as 'early'. Thats when we agreed a deal with Ajax. I dont know when the window closed that year but it closes on 1st September this year.

Last edited:

Mr PG

The signing was baffling to me from day 1, although at the time I was told "we're in Europe and have lots of games, he will get play time" and I kind of accepted that and thought yeah he'll get minutes in the League Cup or whatever, but even that hasn't come to pass. I think we thought Pogba was going and De Beek was his replacement. It obviously didn't happen and he just doesn't have a place here.

Our whole transfer policy (if there is one) baffles me. We wouldn't pay up for Sancho last year but we splash out on Amad and Pellistri. We buy De Beek, all the while with no reliable CDM. We needed a RW and a CB last year (we've needed a RW for years and years), we have these now but we are always chasing our tails. Next year we'll need a top striker. I don't know if there is a thread to discuss our general transfer policy, I wish there was as it's what is bugging me so I've vented it here as the De Beek signing is a big part of it.
Last year everyone knows Sancho was too expensive and we refused to pony up on principal (sometimes you have to be prepared to walk away otherwise noone will ever take us seriously).

acnumber9

Not unless you count 30th of August as 'early'. Thats when we agreed a deal with Ajax. I dont know when the window closed that year but it closes on 2st September this year.
It didn’t close until October so it was relatively early.

Scholsey2004

It didn’t close until October so it was relatively early.
Yeah i suppose. He was our last signing that window though i believe. There was a definite sense that we needed a signing and that there was a scramble to locate a credible name.

Will Singh

We should have never signed him even if it was a replacement for Pogba as he just doesn’t fit our system. But now he’s here how will we ever know if he can make it if Ole will never play him. I know he’s getting paid a shit load of money but I don’t agree with how he’s been treated!

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Yeah i suppose. He was our last signing that window though i believe. There was a definite sense that we needed a signing and that there was a scramble to locate a credible name.
Wrong again. He was our first signing for that window for the first team.

Telles, Pellestri, Cavani and Amad were all signed on the last week of the transfer window.

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's a signing we wanted but hardly considered If he fit the system. We bought on the basis that he's a good player, plays in a position we need and more importantly, he has the character we like. We didn't really look at if he'd fit our system. We did the same for Wan Bissaka

RUCK4444

Why are we so obsessed with playing, or not playing, this player?

Pretty simple really, he’s been given limited chances but has been bang average every time, with the pressure on Ole to provide results VDB needed to prove himself reliable.

In a large chunk of these chances he actually stifled our attack by slowing some very good counterattacking moves.

And he’s never going to play in the pivot so he’s up against Bruno. Who here wants us to drop Bruno for him? Exactly. Neither does Ole.

LoneStar

Why would the club force the likes of DVB on Ole? It's not like he was super cheap or that he has some massive commerical appeal. I don't buy into this assumption that he was forced onto Ole.

Lentwood

They probably saw it as a gamble worth taking and that's the bit people are missing

Im sure we would get our money back if we sold Donny so it was a shot to nothing

dinostar77

They probably saw it as a gamble worth taking and that's the bit people are missing

Im sure we would get our money back if we sold Donny so it was a shot to nothing
We would get our money back on DvB no doubt. He'd go on to excel at a club who actually played him. Will end up embarrassing for Utd, lose Pogba on a free and sell DvB only for him to tear it up elsewhere. Very poorly treated by Ole.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Seems like a player that would be better in a 3 man midfield than a pure double pivot.

In a 3 man midfield he can play flat as a RCM or even further up as a CAM.

Playing this CDM type double pivot doesn't suit him & it feels like it's easy to get past him (as he is spending his time moving out of positions to receive passes back); which is not really his fault as I don't believe he should be playing deep anyway.

Born2Lose

There's something very odd about it all, it's not like Ole is Mourinho and would sulk with a player.

I do wonder if he was meant to be at the time Pogba's replacement.

What really boils my peas is Martial and Matic get chance after chance while other players don't get any.

Bestietom

Will we bring in a midfielder and Who. Camavinga would be my choice.
Haven't seen anything of Tchouameni but you guys on here seem to say he is the one.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Seemed like a panic biy as we thought Pogba was off or so. Strange one
I think it was exactly this, we used our great relationship with Ajax and VDS to get a seemingly good deal on a highly rated young midfielder and then proceeded to spoil said great relationships.

Steve 007

All of us wanted VDB and where very happy when he signed. It’s not uncommon for young foreign players to not adapt to the PL straight away, just look at De Bryune at City or Salah both struggled for game time and sold by Chelsea, personally I hope that VDB comes good with us. As for who sanctioned the sale? Who cares if he comes good, don’t forget the likes of Madrid wanted him too. Let’s see what happens over the next month.

foolsgold

How was VDB at Ajax? Did fans there rate him at all?
Fans loved him, I work with a dutch guy, massive Ajax fan, says Donny needs to be played further forward, does his best work at edge of the box.

The problem I see is he hasn't adapted to our style one play, put him back in an Ajax team or even Barca or Man City and he'd be a star. He's just never in the right place. I guess 20 years of being drilled in the Ajax system is hard to shake off.