Who do you reckon will turn out to have had the better deal out of the Sanchez, Mkhitaryan swap?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We thought we'd fleeced Arsenal when we got Sanchez, but he has been poor since getting to United, and, he's on considerably higher wages than Mhkitaryan was, to boot.

Still, all is not done and maybe Sanchez starts performing like his wage suggests he should.

On the other hand, Mkhitaryan has hardly been great shakes at Arsenal, but again, his story is not over - perhaps he turns it around and really delivers for them.

So, who, in the end, do you reckon will have proven to have gotten the best deal out of the two clubs when all is said and done?

Last edited:

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I'd rather have Sanchez than Mkhirtaryan, so I think United have to feel they got the better deal.

He has been extremely underwhelming for us so far though. Worryingly, it looks as if his legs might have gone, which is odd as he's a bit young for that. It can sometimes happen to players in their late 20s though, look at Rooney.

SER19

Right now the smart money would still be on Sanchez though he has hugely underperformed. If he hits his arsenal best it could be hugely significant in any success we have over the next 2 years. Mkhitaryan I don’t think has any more in him than he has shown at united and arsenal. A good player but nowhere near Sanchez at his best

Moonwalker

We thought we'd fleeced Arsenal when we got Sanchez, but he has been poor since getting to United, and, he's on considerably higher wages than Mhkitaryan was, to boot.

Still, all is not done and maybe Sanchez starts performing like his wage suggests he should.

On the other hand, Mkhitaryan has hardly been great shakes at Arsenal, but again, his story is not over - perhaps he turns it around and really delivers to them.

So, who, in the end, do you reckon will have proven to have gotten the best deal out of the two clubs when all is said and done?
Don't be ridiculous.

JohnnyKills

No matter how bad Sánchez is for us, it was still the right call to bin Mkhi off.

flappyjay

No matter how bad Sánchez is for us, it was still the right call to bin Mkhi off.
Unless Sanchez works out then it was a bad call. If he doesn't work out it's gonna cost more than we paid to buy Henrikh to get rid of Alexis

Varun

Staff
Seeing as Sanchez was amazing at Arsenal and played at a level Mkhi simply cannot, they will always be worse off due to the deal.

The only variable is whether we benefit out of it. So far, it's been a meh for meh replacement. Lets see.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
You'd have been better off in the long run selling Mkhitaryan and buying someone else.

Arsenal should sold Alexis and bought someone better than Mkhitaryan.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Mkhitarayan has been shite at arsenal too. He’s a shite player. He can produce nice little bits of play but all in all he’s a bottleless get who lacks desire, confidence and consistent ability. Sanchez is leagues above and although I agree he’s also been a bit naff for us, he’s just a much better player. Should do well for us this season.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You'd have been better off in the long run selling Mkhitaryan and buying someone else.

Arsenal should sold Alexis and bought someone better than Mkhitaryan.
Did you think that at the time, though? Or did you think United got a great deal and Arsenal didn't?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
If Sanchez doesn't come good, then easily Arsenal for me. Even if Mhki turns out to be average, at least they'll have rid themselves of a player that clearly didn't want to be there, freed up a huge amount on the wage bill, & have a player they can sell on for decent money due to contract length.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Did you think that at the time, though? Or did you think United got a great deal and Arsenal didn't?
It's actually a difficult question because Sanchez was free to sign for whoever he wanted, so was he worth around 30m to have him 6 months earlier or guarantee his signing? I don't know but it seemed alright, I don't think that I was as ecstatic as some were but within reason it seemed fairer than any side having a great deal.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
If Sanchez doesn't come good, then easily Arsenal for me. Even if Mhki turns out to be average, at least they'll have rid themselves of a player that clearly didn't want to be there, freed up a huge amount on the wage bill, & have a player they can sell on for decent money due to contract length.
Sanchez will come good eventually, players of his ilk always do.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Sanchez will come good eventually, players of his ilk always do.
I definitely expect him to, and at that point, it's United who've done the better business.

Still, I wonder how much he actually has left in him. Suarez looks... Tired, at best, and there's just over a year between the two of them.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I didn't, I thought you'd hosed them. I was wrong though, Alexis has mostly been garbage.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I think United fans would have taken the deal 100/100.
It's actually a difficult question because Sanchez was free to sign for whoever he wanted, so was he worth around 30m to have him 6 months earlier or guarantee his signing? I don't know but it seemed alright, I don't think that I was as ecstatic as some were but within reason it seemed fairer than any side having a great deal.
I thought we were getting a great deal, personally, but I expected him to be placed on the right. Given he's been plopped on the left, it seems like a move that has the potential to go totally belly up and have us stuck with a massive earner we can't shift.

Aloysius's Back 3

Sanchez now has to adapt his game to his age; most likely by changing his position. We are not getting the Sanchez who ripped the league apart a couple years back.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I definitely expect him to, and at that point, it's United who've done the better business.

Still, I wonder how much he actually has left in him. Suarez looks... Tired, at best, and there's just over a year between the two of them.
The difference between them is Sanchez has proven himself to be a top premier league player over multiple seasons with Arsenal, whilst Miki has failed to impress at both clubs.

Sanchez is clearly a superior player to Miki and it's just a matter of time before that fact is made true. Cream rises etc.

JPRouve

Scout
The difference between them is Sanchez has proven himself to be a top premier league player over multiple seasons with Arsenal, whilst Miki has failed to impress at both clubs.

Sanchez is clearly a superior player to Miki and it's just a matter of time before that fact is made true. Cream rises etc.
But what you are saying only tells you what he was, not what he will be. Sanchez could easily have the same path than Rooney.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Mkhi was a horribly frustrating player to watch, and he's shown plenty of that at Arsenal too. He had a good first half yesterday, which unsurprisingly starts these sorts of discussions. He did plenty of good for us, but when he wasn't on it he was our worst player on the pitch. He will continue to do that at Arsenal. Sanchez so far has been the same, but his top quality is much higher. If we'll ever see that here is impossible to say

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
But what you are saying only tells you what he was, not what he will be. Sanchez could easily have the same path than Rooney.
We only have their past achievements in the game to base our opinions on though.

Are you suggesting Sanchez' best days are behind him? That may very well be the case, no one knows for certain either way, but I fell it's far more likely that he will regain his form.

Irrational.

Mkhi is a fairweather player who only does well when the team are playing well. Otherwise he goes missing, just like Arsenal.

Sanchez is a winner full of grit and determination. Fair enough we haven't seen the best of him yet but one thing you will always get is effort, endeavour and he will run himself into the ground no matter how things are. I'm predicting big things from him this season and no doubt he'll turn out to be the superior player. He is genuinely world class.

JPRouve

Scout
We only have their past achievements in the game to base our opinions on though.

Are you suggesting Sanchez' best days are behind him? That may very well be the case, no one knows for certain either way, but I fell it's far more likely that he will regain his form.
I'm suggesting that neither of us know and that both answers are totally possible. You can't really say that players of his ilk always come good, not when we are talking about a player at the end of his career, maybe he has 4-5 more years at the top but maybe he has 6 months. Also Sanchez wasn't good for Arsenal last season, it's not a small drought.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
It's interesting to see how many are convinced that Sanchez will come good, and perform to the level that is expected of him, given that he's been woefully below par for us for half a season now. Include the first half of his season with Arsenal, and you're talking about a full year at a level nowhere near what you'd expect from him.

Were you also convinced that Torres would come good for Chelsea?

I obviously hope he'll turn it around, and he seems like he has the mentality for it, but he just seems all sorts of off compared to what I thought we'd be getting. I can't remember many players getting back to their best after such prolonged spells of performing poorly, and at that age.

Greck

Truth is no one thought Sanchez was being brought to play LW. He could give the same underwhelming performances on the right wing and we would still be better off

Another drawback is the shiteshows he's putting up weekly come at the cost of the Rashford/Martial show that gave me something to look forward to in games last year

Canagel

Who knows? Both have been equally as bad. I've rather we kept Mkhi because he was on the RW and let Martial and Rashford continue their battle on the LW. Instead we got a similarly off form/bad Sanchez and disrupted the momentum we had on the LW. It's not clever at all.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sanchez now has to adapt his game to his age; most likely by changing his position. We are not getting the Sanchez who ripped the league apart a couple years back.
They're both 29 years old.