Who is the most underrated footballer in modern history?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Think Cavani could qualify for this. Despite being one of the most prolific scorers of the last decade or so, I never got the sense that he was thought of as highly as some of the other top players of his era.

We're obviously hearing a lot more about it now because he's playing for us, and the commentators mention his goal-scoring record at every opportunity, but until then he almost went under the radar to a certain extent. Perhaps it's just ignorance on my part, but I never got the sense that he got the credit that his record deserved. Including from me.
Playing in the French league will have that effect

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Playing in the French league will have that effect
You're right there. He's PSG's greatest-ever goalscorer. Upon hearing that initially it sounds impressive, but then you realize it's PSG.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'm going for Robben. He was an absolutely generational talent and IMO one of the best wingers ever.

Benzema and Puyol are good shouts too.
Robber was considered the third best player for a good few years with Ronaldo and Messi imo/iirc. Unless I just made that up :nervous:. Absolutely terrific attacker.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
PSG are only 16 years older than Cavani

Forget how relatively new the club is.
A bit of nuance and trivia. The date that you see isn't the date of the actual club which is the Stade Saint germanois, the date is the one of the merger with the Paris FC.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm going for Robben. He was an absolutely generational talent and IMO one of the best wingers ever.
Wasn’t even the most underrated winger at his main club.

UpWithRivers

Le Tissier. Rare genius of a player that will never be truly recognized because he never played for a big club

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I always bring up Recoba in these discussions, to the point where I may have started overrating him a little.

Edit: he probably belongs in a wasted talent discussion more than this one.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
A bit of nuance and trivia. The date that you see isn't the date of the actual club which is the Stade Saint germanois, the date is the one of the merger with the Paris FC.
Ahh, right. Ok. Didn't know that

But the club we now know as PSG is 50 years old, right? The merger happened in 1970

tomaldinho1

Weird to see people say Benzema. I feel like his stock is now too high - a great player nonetheless.

Probably someone like Callum Wilson for me, he’s basically averaging a goal every 2 games in the worst setup under a really defensive manager. I think he could be a consistent 20+ guy at a bigger team.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
David Villa? Don't think it's overrating him to suggest he was as good or better an actual footballer than someone like Ibrahimovic, yet the latter will be remembered a lot more. Top scorer in a Euros, top scorer in a World Cup, scored in a CL final, was generally a brilliant player at his peak. His reputation is hampered first because he probably spent too long at Valencia (where he scored a nifty 129 goals in 225 appearances) and then because a leg-break disrupted his career. He still went on to help Atletico to a league title though, their first in 17 years.

JPRouve

Scout
Ahh, right. Ok. Didn't know that

But the club we now know as PSG is 50 years old, right? The merger happened in 1970
That's an interesting question because the merger didn't last, they splitted with the Paris FC in 72 and PSG kept its initial licence. So in reality while the name is different, the current PSG is the Stade Saint Germanois, it's sort of like Manchester united and Newton Heath, though PSG have remained in Saint Germain en Laye while playing in the Parc des Princes which is in Paris(75).

jackal&hyde

Carrick is rated exactly as he was: a very good player who wasn’t quite a great one. That’s fine. I’m not sure why (some) United are so insistent in their view that he is ‘underrated’.

How so, exactly? Most football fans would recognise that he was an important player for United. Please don’t mention England either; he often underwhelmed for England and that was entirely his fault.
This is a good example imo. as to why he is so underrated. Carrick was not an all energy Kante type of DM nor a tackler of sorts. He was WC without a doubt however. He had such a phenomenal understanding of the game that his defensive contribution passed most fans by; he could see attacks developing and knew where to position himself not just to intercept, but to deny passing opportunities. This is something you don't see in highlights but is something managers understand and it was the reason United went from a good team to a great one. Add to that his passing quality and ability to control games from deep and you have a fantastic player.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
That's an interesting question because the merger didn't last, they splitted with the Paris FC in 72 and PSG kept its initial licence. So in reality while the name is different, the current PSG is the Stade Saint Germanois, it's sort of like Manchester united and Newton Heath, though PSG have remained in Saint Germain en Laye while playing in the Parc des Princes which is in Paris(75).
Interesting. Was just reading a bit about it all now. They won promotion to Ligue 1 then fairly quickly, and then when the split happened Paris FC remained in Ligue 1 while PSG was administratively relegated to Division 3. Didn't know any of that, to be honest.

Edit: Sorry, I'm derailing the thread here. Interesting nonetheless.

JPRouve

Scout
Interesting. Was just reading a bit about it all now. They won promotion to Ligue 1 then fairly quickly, and then when the split happened Paris FC remained in Ligue 1 while PSG was administratively relegated to Division 3. Didn't know any of that, to be honest.
Yeah, the story of PSG is interesting which is one of the reasons why I find it a bit sad when people say that they have no history.

OleBoiii

Carrick and Park are very underrated by fans of other clubs. I guess you could throw VDS in there as well.

JSArsenal

A lot of strange shouts in here.

Drogba? He gets compared to Henry and the best PL strikers of all time despite having a goal scoring record nowhere near them

Carrick? Everyone now says how good he was. He was underrated when he couldn't buy a shirt for England

Giroud? Overrated.

JPRouve

Scout
He has already been mentioned but the obvious one is probably Benzema. But if I was to make a list, I would probably put Abidal, Seydou Keita, Xabi Alonso, Seedorf, Makaay, Elber, Cris and Zé Roberto.

DoomSlayer

Rooney. I don't think he gets the deserved recognition in world football, even within our own fanbase.

OleBoiii

Rooney. I don't think he gets the deserved recognition in world football, even within our own fanbase.
Rooney is a weird one. He may be the only United player that possibly is rated higher among fans of other clubs.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'd probably say Rooney too. Not that he wasn't rated, he was, but considering how recently he played he really doesn't get spoken of all that much. His reputation is negatively affected by declining too early, playing alongside Ronaldo and his selflessness for the team, but he was a special player.

JSArsenal

Most supporters of other clubs will admit that Carrick was good, but few seem to think of him as a top 10 CM from the PL era.
Is he? The modern PL era or the PL as a whole? If you want to take back to 1992/93 (?) I'm not sure he makes the top 10. Just for fun here's who I'd have

Vieira
Keane
Scholes
Lampard
Fabregas
Alonso
David Silva
Gilberto Silva
Modric
Carrick, Makelele and Yaya Toure all fall just outside of the top 10 for me

I'm leaving out the likes of like Gerrard, De Bruyne etc because they're more AM, rather than CMs.

EDIT:
I just saw the post below and forgot about Mascherano. He's in the top 10 as well, might leave out David Silva instead.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Most supporters of other clubs will admit that Carrick was good, but few seem to think of him as a top 10 CM from the PL era.
That's because it's debatable and not because he is underrated the top 10 list in the PL era is extremely good. You have the likes of Keane, Scholes, De Bruyne, Makélélé, Gerrard, Lampard, Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Vieira, Gilberto Silva(who is actually forgotten), Yaya Touré and I'm forgetting a lot of players.

JSArsenal

To answer the OP I'd go with the following:

Ballack- Probably because he didn't actually win much during his time at Chelsea
Flamini
Pogba
Ljungberg
Sagna- Hardly ever see him mentioned alongside the best RBs of the PL era
Kolo Toure

RashyForPM

Not sure why but rival fans, especially the clowns on Twitter, genuinely think that Bruno is an average player who only scores pens. Weird.