Who is your preferred option for the RW spot?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We've got quite a few options for the spot; who is your preferred player for the role?

Antony
Bruno
Mount
Sancho
Amad
Pellistri
Rashford
Garnacho

Levi1

We've got quite a few options for the spot; who is your preferred player for the role?

Antony
Bruno
Mount
Sancho
Amad
Pellistri
Rashford
Garnacho
We should try Amad when he's back. Until then, I would play Bruno there to make space for another midfielder.

Abraxas

Out of the frying pan and into the fryer. A lot of names that are either failing (Antony and Sancho) or completely unnatural in the position. Playing right footed attacking mids with no athleticism on the right is dreadful. May as well write off anything interesting happening with that setup and our right backs.

I'd probably stick with Antony for a game or two longer since we're only two in. But that would be the limit of my patience. The interesting option is probably Amad by virtue of the fact he actually plays there and he isn't currently failing at the club. He's a relatively unknown quantity. I wouldn't go to Pellistri until Hojlund is in the team because I'm not sure that style of wing play functions well with Rashford at 9.

justboy68

With Rashford/Garnacho on the left primarily functioning as goalscoring wide forwards, we need either a creator or a proper, traditional winger on the right to balance it out. Which approach you go with could depend on the opposition. For a winger it basically means Pellistri for now. For a different style of creator you can try out Sancho or Mount there. I've not seen enough of Amad to really comment but maybe he can step up and be the answer when he's back. One thing we definitely don't need is another player just looking to cut in and shoot all the time. One of a few reasons Antony was a flat out idiotic puchase. Not only is he not talented enough for the price paid, he's completely the wrong type of player to provide the correct balance for our attack.

Overall our recruitment for the RW has been a depressing money sink.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
For now, Antony still. While he doesn't really carry much of a threat, he does normally provide width, work-rate and progresses the ball forward quite well (until he eventually turns and passes it backwards).

But I do want to see Sancho given another chance there (although atm I want him playing as a false 9 until either Hojlund or Martial are ready to start), and Amad when he returns. I'm also interested to see how Mount would do out there, although the fact that ETH prefers to play him at #10 and move Bruno out to the right indicates that it's not much of an option. Bruno himself can have great games out there, but there are also times he drifts right out of the match and we lose his creativity.

Would also be interested in seeing Pellistri given an opportunity from the start, but something tells me he'll struggle.

Last edited:

johnnyteutonic

Using a process of elimination:
- I wouldn't play either Rashford or Garnacho on the right because the former is completely ineffective on the right, and the latter has no experience (to my knowledge) of playing on the right.
- We've seen Bruno play on the right and it rarely works. Plus he's easily our most creative midfielder so shifting him there (to accommodate Mount) would be a waste.
- I would play Mount there in certain situations but not as our 'preferred' option.
- Antony is fecking shit so I would bench him.
- Pellistri would be tempting for me as he has pace to burn but I feel he is even rawer than Garnacho is, and I think, based on the little I've seen of him, his decision-making and ability to retain and recycle possession isn't quite there yet.

Which leaves me with two options - Sancho and Amad.

I may get laughed at for saying this but for now, I would go with Sancho.
The reason is is because he is the only winger we have that is decent in possession and looks for the pass rather than most of the other wingers who are 'cut inside and shoot' types.
He's also decent at link-up play and through-balls.
I feel all our other wingers struggle to hold onto the ball, giving it away in sloppy areas and aren't threatening enough to compensate for it.
However, I would also like to see how Amad goes when he gets back to fitness, as he fits the profile of an inverted winger that ETH likes, and I feel he has a similar skill-set to Sancho but (hopefully) has more athleticism and a bigger engine than him.

Newtonius

Amad, Voldemort, Pellistri in that order, try Antony at RB against Forest too.

Devil You Know

In the short term, Mount.

In the middle term, Amad or Pellistri.

In the longer term, hopefully one of the above or, if not, someone new.

Mercurial

Using a process of elimination:
- I wouldn't play either Rashford or Garnacho on the right because the former is completely ineffective on the right, and the latter has no experience (to my knowledge) of playing on the right.
- We've seen Bruno play on the right and it rarely works. Plus he's easily our most creative midfielder so shifting him there (to accommodate Mount) would be a waste.
- I would play Mount there in certain situations but not as our 'preferred' option.
- Antony is fecking shit so I would bench him.
- Pellistri would be tempting for me as he has pace to burn but I feel he is even rawer than Garnacho is, and I think, based on the little I've seen of him, his decision-making and ability to retain and recycle possession isn't quite there yet.

Which leaves me with two options - Sancho and Amad.

I may get laughed at for saying this but for now, I would go with Sancho.
The reason is is because he is the only winger we have that is decent in possession and looks for the pass rather than most of the other wingers who are 'cut inside and shoot' types.
He's also decent at link-up play and through-balls.
I feel all our other wingers struggle to hold onto the ball, giving it away in sloppy areas and aren't threatening enough to compensate for it.
However, I would also like to see how Amad goes when he gets back to fitness, as he fits the profile of an inverted winger that ETH likes, and I feel he has a similar skill-set to Sancho but (hopefully) has more athleticism and a bigger engine than him.
Agree with you, nice post, think Pellistri
should be given a start > Antony in short term.

ScholesyTheWise

Deary me, the RW is what the CM spot has been for the past umpteen years.... So many players who can play there, so few who are actually good at it.

2 wingers who cost a fortune and should be sold, a couple of youngsters, and some midfielders who play in the middle but "can do a job" on the wing [Bruno actually can't, Mount is a very weird player to evaluate, feels like nobody's sure what he can or can't do].

So long as Rashford doesn't save us like he did in games last year, we're fecked.

ManRed

We should try Amad when he's back. Until then, I would play Bruno there to make space for another midfielder.
Moving our best CAM to the right makes us weak in 2 spots. Same with moving Rashford to ST. We need to play Sancho there who was quite decent in the end of last season or Mount. Pellistri and Garnacho are just not ready to be starting games.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Ten Hag is going to stick with Antony as he will do with Mount. Those 2 are his choices and they either work or he will go down with them. Same with Hojlund.

Pronewbie

Peep
IMHO it's time to go back to basics (again) for the next 1 or 2 games and play what's given us our best free-flowing football in recent seasons. A front 3 of Rashford, Martial and Sancho, with Bruno behind pinging inshallah balls every now and then.

But of course I am aware this is very unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Jev

Think Pellistri has done enough (and Antony has done little enough) to at least earn a shot. Hopefully Amad will make the position his own later in the season. Not totally against Bruno out there with a more balanced, controlled midfield. Sancho played a lot there for Dortmund so no reason why we shouldn't try him there. In short, plenty of alternatives to an Antony who has no merit starting, aside from being ETH's pet.

Redstain

None are good enough at this stage of their developments. Start of the window I would have hoped for a right back, right winger and a striker. That would have been a near ideal scenario because there was enough depth (not necessarily in quality) in the midfield for it to not be a priority concern this summer. Look at the performances last season and the right side offered absolutely nothing all season.

The fact that the right backs offer very little attacking incentive makes the issue worse. The club should have moved for Frimpong and bought in a winger who could work ahead of Antony for playing time this season. Who that is would be hard to assess but that's what scouts are for even someone like Marcus Edwards from sporting very good season last year lots of promise.

Sancho would have worked well with a Frimpong bombing forward because it opens the spaces for him to go inside or out and as it stands the best I've seen Jadon in terms of performances was when Hakimi was rotating with him in the attacking phases of play for Dortmund.

Someone

Something
Pellistri would be my first option for now. He's far from the finished article, but he provides this unpredictability and threat that we sorely lack. He works his socks of as well so he isn't short of work rate. Amad should be given a shot when he returns as well. We could experiment with Garnacho and Mount, but that's about it really.

Antony failed there. The sooner we figure out an alternative the better.

Dannn411

Ranked in order:
Mount
Amad
Pellistri
Sancho
Garnacho

[Big gap]

Antony. (Should be sold as soon as is practicably possible or relegated to a permanent bench seat till contract expires. He is not Premier League level.)

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Don’t get why Sancho isn’t playing there… didn’t he have a good spell last season as the RW? Or even play Pellestri there, looked lively of the bench yesterday and runs at defenders, nearly won us a penalty. Antony just messed about, doesn’t take anyone on whatsoever. But ETH will have his favourites and him being one will mean he won’t be dropped.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I like Pellistri to be honest.

In fact, this morning it feels as if we'd be a better team with:

Garnacho - Rasmus - Pellistri
Bruno - Case - MF
Shaw - Licha - Varane - AWB
Onana

Sell Rashford and buy a superb MF with the money. If possible, a great striker as well. MF takes precedence.

Rashford is great. But MF is more important to control a match...

Play Antony over Pellistri when the former is back to his best and Sancho as a back up to Garnacho.

Drastic measures and all that

Sparky Rhiwabon

Mount would probably be the best player there but he’s needed in midfield as we’re short there. Failing that, Antony is probably still our best option with Pellestri doing a similar impact role as Garnacho did last season.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
At the moment, I'd probably play Bissaka there and have Dalot as RB.

ShoePolish

I'd honestly Pelistri there for few games, and see what happens, can't be any worse.
Then Bruno, with Mount in number 8 and Eriksen/Casemiro.
Garnacho LW sub cover for Rashford, Sancho sub cover across the line, Antony sub for RW.

Rashford needs to be excluded from this conversation, that experiment has been conducted too many times now, he's fecking useless there.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I'd stick with Antony. The question is who plays through the middle, the RW and LW spots are a given for me.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Bruno and get someone to play alongside Casemiro with some actual physical presence. This midfield is going to get bullied all season.

Amsterdam Devil

Play Bruno at RW, move Mount to the 10 position and get a better and stronger player in to play next to Casemiro. Casemiro looks totally lost in the way we play now and the passing and holding up the ball from Bruno isn’t good enough for the 10 position. He is a creator but he is losing the bal so much now that the whole team has to work much harder. Play him on the right wing, let him do what he wants there, drift inside and create a lot of chances.

JuriM

Antony ain't fit enough to start atm, start Pellistri and when Amad is back he deserves a run also.