Who is your preferred option for the RW spot?

foolsgold

Pellistri or Sancho would offer a creative option, but I suspect they wouldn't be able to press like Antony does.

Honestly, is all depends what we do with Mr 11, if he comes back, then he's a viable option from the right.

Oldyella

Mount for a few games. Let's him bed in a little, and also takes Antony out of the side, which really needs to happen. Longer term maybe Amad? Who knows, all those listed have their faults.

Croftona7

Anthony is stealing a living at our club at present, I've never seen a more one footed predictable professional footballer, at least the likes of Robben had end product after he cut inside when everyone knew he was going to cut inside because that's all he had, he was still effective.

Anthony may have been good in Holland but all he gives us is frustration, memories of Nani, some moody faces and his only highlights are in his bloody hair.

Can't stand him.

You may have picked up on that fact...

aeh1991

Mount?? You can't be serious? Leave him out if the starting 11 if he doesn't fit in the midfield. On the right we have plenty of other options that are better.

KjaAnd

It's actually insane how long RW has been an issue and how much money we've spent without fixing the problem. Neither Antony, Pellistri, Sancho, Mount or Amad are good enough. Out of those, I might actually prefer Sancho because he's less predictable than Antony but it doesn't seem like EtH likes him there.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Pellistri or Sancho, give either of these a chance ahead of Antony who I do not rate.
Pellistri looks a threat when he comes on, but just needs some game time, as for Sancho he was meant to be our right winger just to never really play there.

dalriada

Using a process of elimination:
- I wouldn't play either Rashford or Garnacho on the right because the former is completely ineffective on the right, and the latter has no experience (to my knowledge) of playing on the right.
- We've seen Bruno play on the right and it rarely works. Plus he's easily our most creative midfielder so shifting him there (to accommodate Mount) would be a waste.
- I would play Mount there in certain situations but not as our 'preferred' option.
- Antony is fecking shit so I would bench him.
- Pellistri would be tempting for me as he has pace to burn but I feel he is even rawer than Garnacho is, and I think, based on the little I've seen of him, his decision-making and ability to retain and recycle possession isn't quite there yet.

Which leaves me with two options - Sancho and Amad.

I may get laughed at for saying this but for now, I would go with Sancho.
The reason is is because he is the only winger we have that is decent in possession and looks for the pass rather than most of the other wingers who are 'cut inside and shoot' types.
He's also decent at link-up play and through-balls.
I feel all our other wingers struggle to hold onto the ball, giving it away in sloppy areas and aren't threatening enough to compensate for it.
However, I would also like to see how Amad goes when he gets back to fitness, as he fits the profile of an inverted winger that ETH likes, and I feel he has a similar skill-set to Sancho but (hopefully) has more athleticism and a bigger engine than him.
RW is Sancho's natural position and why he was brought into the side in the first place. You would have thought that he was the natural choice for ETH's requirements but there's clearly been an ongoing issue keeping him out of the squad and ETH is committed to the players he's brought in from the Eredivisie, so we're stuck with Antony. I can see his appeal, but I wonder how long ETH can persist with his lack of productivity.
The clamour for Amad is not surprising - he's done well on loan, albeit at a lower level, looks the real deal, he's untested yet at United so there's no body of criticism against him (yet). You do wonder why he's not been used for so long, considering how much the club paid for him. He's not quite in the Donny category, but you also wonder who decided we needed him.
I like Pellistri and personally would like to see him used more. In some ways it's his rawness and directness that we could use - in the games he's played so far, he's looked to me more capable of converting chances to goals compared to the wastefulness of some of our other players and he brings urgency and energy. I suspect ETH sees that quality and wants to keep him as an impact sub when he needs a bit of directness. The problem there is that he tends to bring him on very late and Pellistri may become frustrated with such a limited role.
So I'd agree with you on Sancho as the most realistic option. I suspect ETH will be quite stubborn about sticking with Antony, though.

Superunknown

My preference is that we go back into the market for another player in that position. Antony doesn't look like a natural fit for the club and I don't particularly enjoy watching him play.

Anything up until that point is a temporary measure. We're playing him because he's the expensive transfer and we have to play him to fool ourselves into thinking he's a worthwhile transfer by playing him so often. We've basically got him on one wing and Sancho on the other, both of whom are very expensive and both do not fix the issues we have in those positions.

For the time being, we don't really have a choice beside playing Antony and mixing in Pellistri as a sub. If we okay Sancho there, we've then got nobody to intersperse with Garnacho on the other side.

It's quite funny how we have a similar problem on both wings, but in reverse. On the right, we've got the expensive option with the youth player acting as a backup. On the left, we've got the (still, in my eyes) youth option with the expensive option as a backup. Both aren't really doing it right now.

Maybe we should just change the whole system.

johnnyteutonic

My preference is that we go back into the market for another player in that position. Antony doesn't look like a natural fit for the club and I don't particularly enjoy watching him play.

Anything up until that point is a temporary measure. We're playing him because he's the expensive transfer and we have to play him to fool ourselves into thinking he's a worthwhile transfer by playing him so often. We've basically got him on one wing and Sancho on the other, both of whom are very expensive and both do not fix the issues we have in those positions.

For the time being, we don't really have a choice beside playing Antony and mixing in Pellistri as a sub. If we okay Sancho there, we've then got nobody to intersperse with Garnacho on the other side.

It's quite funny how we have a similar problem on both wings, but in reverse. On the right, we've got the expensive option with the youth player acting as a backup. On the left, we've got the (still, in my eyes) youth option with the expensive option as a backup. Both aren't really doing it right now.

Maybe we should just change the whole system.
I don't know if we have the funds to go back in for another wide forward?
It seems to me that if we do get in another player it will be a DM as it seems like more of a priority position for us right now.

The thing is though is playing Antony is just a 'sunk cost fallacy' for me.
We've seen enough of him surely to realise by now he has very little end product.
Not to say we should give up on him completely but I personally would rather we do play Sancho, and bring on Antony late in games on the right.

Perhaps Martial will be available to start for us now that he's back up to match conditioning, which means we can go back to Rashford on the left, with Garnacho as the impact sub on that side.

This is my last of my daily posts so I won't be able to respond for a bit but was gonna say great username by the way - literally just bought my wife that album on vinyl for her birthday!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
1. Pellestri or Amad to step up ideally
2. Mount
3. Bruno
4. Sancho
5. Tom Heaton
98. A traffic cone
99. Anthony

IrishRedDevil

Antony kept winning the ball back yesterday like a proper DM. I’ve never seen an attacker be so good at tackling.

Problem is, when he attacks he keeps giving the ball away :lol:

Superunknown

I don't know if we have the funds to go back in for another wide forward?
It seems to me that if we do get in another player it will be a DM as it seems like more of a priority position for us right now.

The thing is though is playing Antony is just a 'sunk cost fallacy' for me.
We've seen enough of him surely to realise by now he has very little end product.
Not to say we should give up on him completely but I personally would rather we do play Sancho, and bring on Antony late in games on the right.

Perhaps Martial will be available to start for us now that he's back up to match conditioning, which means we can go back to Rashford on the left, with Garnacho as the impact sub on that side.

This is my last of my daily posts so I won't be able to respond for a bit but was gonna say great username by the way - literally just bought my wife that album on vinyl for her birthday!
We've got holes up top and in midfield that, yeah, I agree that it's unlikely we'll be in the market right now for another winger. I would be very surprised if we're not looking next summer, though...along with another midfield option, another CB, another striker, etc. The same problems are on rotation.

I guess part of Erik's logic is that you can play players into form. E.g. just keep playing them until it all works. Could work, or could not work for longer. Leaning towards the latter.

Glad you're a fan! Adore that album and the band. :drool:

Denis79

Antony has started the season very poorly, he needs to be benched and fight his way back in the first 11. But I doubt that will happen considering his price-tag and especially ETH's history with him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Using a process of elimination:
- I wouldn't play either Rashford or Garnacho on the right because the former is completely ineffective on the right, and the latter has no experience (to my knowledge) of playing on the right.
- We've seen Bruno play on the right and it rarely works. Plus he's easily our most creative midfielder so shifting him there (to accommodate Mount) would be a waste.
- I would play Mount there in certain situations but not as our 'preferred' option.
- Antony is fecking shit so I would bench him.
- Pellistri would be tempting for me as he has pace to burn but I feel he is even rawer than Garnacho is, and I think, based on the little I've seen of him, his decision-making and ability to retain and recycle possession isn't quite there yet.

Which leaves me with two options - Sancho and Amad.

I may get laughed at for saying this but for now, I would go with Sancho.
The reason is is because he is the only winger we have that is decent in possession and looks for the pass rather than most of the other wingers who are 'cut inside and shoot' types.
He's also decent at link-up play and through-balls.
I feel all our other wingers struggle to hold onto the ball, giving it away in sloppy areas and aren't threatening enough to compensate for it.
However, I would also like to see how Amad goes when he gets back to fitness, as he fits the profile of an inverted winger that ETH likes, and I feel he has a similar skill-set to Sancho but (hopefully) has more athleticism and a bigger engine than him.
Agree with everything more or less.
Also seeing how others have performed on the right, time to give Sancho a few games there and not to drop him the moment he hides or has a bad game.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Are we allowed to talk about him yet?
No. But there is a thread on the general forum about him which is locked now, but you can read through it. A lot has happened last Thursday/Friday. I found out about the thread only late Friday and it had already reached 50+ pages.

Charlie Foley

Anthony is stealing a living at our club at present, I've never seen a more one footed predictable professional footballer, at least the likes of Robben had end product after he cut inside when everyone knew he was going to cut inside because that's all he had, he was still effective.

Anthony may have been good in Holland but all he gives us is frustration, memories of Nani, some moody faces and his only highlights are in his bloody hair.

Can't stand him.

You may have picked up on that fact...
Nani would be far and away our best RW if he was in this team

sparx99

I'd stick with Antony. The question is who plays through the middle, the RW and LW spots are a given for me.
I largely agree. He’s played better than Bruno, Rashford and Garnacho in the two games so far. That’s not a particularly high bar I know.

The attackers have been the bigger problem than midfield for me. We’ve had openings created by Bruno and Mount and that one Onana pass but the attackers have squandered it every time with the wrong decision.

Antony did come very close to the equaliser yesterday as well.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
At the moment, I'd probably play Bissaka there and have Dalot as RB.
Funny, but it might be better than what we have.

Antony for me and give Amad some chances when healthy. Maybe Amad and Antony can push each other to better play.

Kramer

We've got quite a few options for the spot; who is your preferred player for the role?

Antony
Bruno
Mount
Sancho
Amad
Pellistri
Rashford
Garnacho
You could arguably add Dalot to this list.

I know ETH will probably not do it but Dalot seems to be able to beat men easily with his pace and is much more comfortable up the pitch.

As of now, I’d give it to Pellistri. He’s shown some good qualities so far. Probably deserves a chance.

Andersons Dietician

Personally I think Rashford is a far better team player when he plays off the right and just plays better. It’s almost like not being able to cut in on to his right all the time makes him look for more passes and quick 1-2’s and so on.

However right now I’d be more interested in just letting Pellestri have a go at it then when he returns see how Amad gets on.

Kaos

Sign Amrabat already and just play him in the middle, and move Mount to the right.

It's inevitable so might as well get it out the way now.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Personally I think Rashford is a far better team player when he plays off the right and just plays better. It’s almost like not being able to cut in on to his right all the time makes him look for more passes and quick 1-2’s and so on.

However right now I’d be more interested in just letting Pellestri have a go at it then when he returns see how Amad gets on.
Have you been watching games in a mirror? Rashford is almost as bad on the right as he is in the middle

jem

Sancho and then Pellistri; Ahmad should also get a look once he’s fit again. Antony is a waste of space.

Von Mistelroum

It's sad really, we have zero players for that wing that are close to good enough (as a right winger) for United other than maybe Sancho on a good day... Which is extremely rare. Similarly, the left isn't exactly flush with talent either. We used to have top level wingers and now we're miles behind.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Nani’s biggest crime was following Ronaldo, means cretins never actually viewed him for the damn good player he was.

Give me Nani any day over this rabble.
I hate the Nani comparisons. For all of his frustrating moments, Nani was still an unbelievable talent. Two footed, ridiculously skillful, excellent striker of the ball, pace/balance. He just had brain dead moments but you could see the potential for danger always being there. Antony is as unthreatening of a player as there is for an attacker in comparison.

AFC NimbleThumb

Rashford’s best position is LW, Garnacho won’t play there when everyone is available so we really should have been getting him used to that role akin to what Madrid have done with Rodrygo cause of, you know, Vinci Jr.

Antony has had more chances than any other winger bar Rashford & it’s at a point where it’s bordering on malpractice. He either needs to play better or not at all.