Who replaces Ten Hag?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Shaw, Rashford and Martial have gone through LvG, Jose, Ole and now ETH.

Dalot, Lindelof, Shaw, McT, Rashford, Martial have gone through Jose, Ole and now ETH

Dalot, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof, Shaw, McT, Rashford, Martial, Sancho have gone through Ole and now ETH.

That’s 1/4 of the squad that is now on their 3rd manager at least at the club, and the same cycle is happening. This is not a coincidence.
1/4 of the squad. Yet most of them have been good this season and still give it their all each week, Martial isn't turning on Ten Hag and, if he is, I doubt anybody gives a toss. Sancho isn't even here. Everyone is desperate to have Shaw and Varane back.

I think you're reaching a bit there.

AndySmith1990

Dalot, Lindelof, Shaw, McT, Rashford, Martial have gone through Jose, Ole and now ETH

Dalot, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof, Shaw, McT, Rashford, Martial, Sancho have gone through Ole and now ETH.

That’s 1/4 of the squad that is now on their 3rd manager at least at the club, and the same cycle is happening. This is not a coincidence.
Don't know why it's so difficult for some of you to simply accept we've hired managers who aren't good enough, instead of trying to look for other reasons to explain why they're so bad

Roboc7

ETH has thrown himself under the bus with his stupid tactics and setup. I’m sure INEOS had no intention of sacking him when they took over, they probably set a low bar and if he displayed any level of competence he’d have been fine.

LordSpud

You'd feel if we didn't get to the FA Cup Final, what with Top 4 now mathematically gone, then Ten Hag would be gone tomorrow. As it is he's probably another Van Gaal where he's gone after the FA Cup win or lose.

Jericholyte2

Don't know why it's so difficult for some of you to simply accept we've hired managers who aren't good enough, instead of trying to look for other reasons to explain why they're so bad
I’m not saying the managers were good enough, but I’m saying a significant portion of our squad are players who blatantly downed tool for at least TWO other managers, yet they face no repercussions.

Whether that’s come from on high, with Glazers refusing to sell certain players, managers being too weak to suggest those players go, or managers realising some of the other priorities, they’ve been allowed to stay with no accountability.

This will be THE test for the INEOS group, how they handle the required dismantling of this toxic group of players.

OleGunnar20

First of all no manager will succeed at United unless we get our backroom staff in order. That mean better fitness people, better negotiators, better sporting director, better technical director, better CEO and better communication from top to bottom. Secondly while I don't deny that the manager is indeed a problem its pretty evident that we have some serious attitude problems within the squad. These things are something we have to take in serious account

Now let's analyze the managers we had since SAF retired. Moyes was the EPL proven manager. Unfortunately he never worked at top club level and by the time he joined United his tactics were already becoming dated. LVG replaced him. He was Woodward's version of top manager. Again by the time LVG signed for us his tactics were already dated having been previously sacked at Barca and Bayern. LVG saddled us with some unsuited players such as tiny Blind, Rojo, Depay and co. Then Mou came. He was considered as the EPL proven winner. Again by the time Mou signed for us his best years were already behind him. Then we went for the former player, the Ole and the wheel. Ole had 1 EPL experience as a manager that went horribly and proven to be completely out of depth. Finally we went for one of the most promising manager at the time in ETH. Similarly to LVG he had no idea how the EPL works and the Eredivisie invasion returned.

As said no manager will ever succeed unless we sort the football side of the club. We can't go for a 30m rated winger only to spend 80m for him. Now assuming that's sorted then what do we need? In my opinion we need

a- someone who already worked in a difficult environment. That would help him navigate at this club
b- someone who had worked with big names. If those big players happen to be ours then the better. He'll know whom to trust and whom not, who should be shown the door and whose not
c- he understand the EPL, its physicality, its ridiculous high tempo and its culture. No more CMs made up of 1 DM with two no 10s, no more 5ft10 CBs etc
d- his tactics needs to be modern and effective.

I can only think of one man that fits the bill ie Mckenna. He had previously worked with United, he understands the EPL, he knows exactly whom to trust having seen not 1 but 2 managers being backstabbed by their squad and his tactics at Ipswich are off the charts and can fit our current team quite well. If this is set to become a head coach job than Mckenna is perfect for it
Yeah I'd go with Mckenna if we were willing to back him properly with a clear out of any bad elements still present in the squad.

What he's done with Ipswich is amazing, he plays good football and has shown he can work with less than ideal squads and improve individuals massively while doing so.

He also knew the club during some dark days so should have some insight on necessary changes.

I don't want Tuchel, he's just asking for trouble and isn't a good enough coach to warrant it for me, similar to Conte.

Yakuza_devils

McKenna sounds interesting but the risks are also very high. Championship is not PL, there is a big difference.

Also, once he has to manage our prima donnas things could turn south quickly. It's all well and good managing players from League One and Championship. When you need to deal with players like Rashford, Sancho, Bruno and many other "star" players it will be very different.

They would not only not following your instructions to play your style of football but also may throw you under the bus. Our lots have thrown many high profile managers under the bus already including even Rangnick as interim. They refused to run and press under Rangnick, could you believe it?

To appoint McKenna, we need to have patience like Arsenal had with Arteta. Get rid of all our problematic players over a few season in the wilderness before results start to improve.

Maybe just maybe, this is the only way we can change the club in the long term. Whoever we get in as a manager it will not work with this lot.

Mr Smith

I think one of the worst things that Pep has brought to football is you have people that seriously believe that ETH, Potter or De Zerbi are better managers than Tuchel.
Anybody that plays any type of football anywhere near Peps is automatically considered the dogs bollocks and anyone who doesn't plays some shithouse park the bus football. It's a joke.

I hope Tuchel doesn't stay at Bayern because he's the only manager available right now that is good enough for United.
I get the point youre making but its a bit misleading as all three of the managers you mentioned play football not dissimilar to Tuchel (maybe not ETH at United, but certainly before). Tuchel is obviously much more successful but also further along in his career. Also worth noting Tuchel is also a Guardiola disciple.

I'm really torn on Tuchel. Based purely on his footballing record, he's easily the outstanding candidate, the best qualified we would have had since Mourinho and with a far more modern tactical approach. However, it's worth noting that his league record is a bit troubled. His only league titles are two at PSG and even that fell apart, and he barely deserves to be called a Bundesliga title winner the way last season ended. His CL record is genuinely outstanding on the other hand, and could yet get even more impressive.

His temperament does really worry me, and the way he fell out with the hierarchy at Dortmund and PSG is a concern given we are trying to build an entire new structure. Not saying this is a reason not to hire him, but it is a concern.

Having said all that, he's still the outstanding candidate, and I do believe he'd be doing a better job that Ten Hag is currently.

José did too.

I’m asking what qualities he was, that others who failed don’t?

- winning trophies isn’t a quality, it’s a result
- José was a master tactician
- Ole was (for a time) a good man manager
- LvG had club and international experience
- José was great at getting players to run through walls for him
- LvG got multiple teams to play his way
- ETH got Ajax on a great CL run with a ridiculous GD over the season
- Some of the managers were good coaches
- some were strict disciplinarians
- so were nice and cushy with the players
- some got the players to play a strict style of play
- some got players to express themselves more

All of them have, thus far, failed.

So what would Tuchel bring that’s different, that would make him a success where others failed?
For one, he's one of the best technical coaches in the world. One of the biggest problems we've seen at this club in recent years is that players don't improve under new managers, and we've especially seen this season that the technical quality of our team is not up to scratch, and for whatever reason is also not improvong on the training ground.

For another, Tuchel is a modern tactical expert. Jose might have been a great tactician, but his tactics had not moved with the times, and his tactics have stuck out like a sore thumb in his last three jobs. Tuchel's tactics are modern and sophisticated, based on the principles of pressing, ball retention, and structure without the ball, which are qualities all the best teams need in the modern game.

Finally, he has experience winning with difficult personalities. I actually agree with you that winning itself is the result of qualities rather than a quality itself, but what Tuchel had proved throughout his career is that he's able to manage egos and still win. This had been seen most obviously with PSG, but it has been there in his time with Chelsea too, and he's arguably also done really well to stabilise things at Bayern after a couple of damaging losses.

You could argue none of this is unique, but they are key qualities that appear to have been lacking under current and previous management.

Last edited:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I get the point youre making but its a bit misleading as all three of the managers you mentioned play football not dissimilar to Tuchel (maybe not ETH at United, but certainly before). Tuchel is obviously much more successful but also further along in his career. Also worth noting Tuchel is also a Guardiola disciple.

I'm really torn on Tuchel. Based purely on his footballing record, he's easily the outstanding candidate, the best qualified we would have had since Mourinho and with a far more modern tactical approach. However, it's worth noting that his league record is a bit troubled. His only league titles are two at PSG and even that fell apart, and he barely deserves to be called a Bundesliga title winner the way last season ended. His CL record is genuinely outstanding on the other hand, and could yet get even more impressive.

His temperament does really worry me, and the way he fell out with the hierarchy at Dortmund and PSG is a concern given we are trying to build an entire new structure. Not saying this is a reason not to hire him, but it is a concern.

Having said all that, he's still the outstanding candidate, and I do believe he'd be doing a better job that Ten Hag is currently.

For one, he's one of the best technical coaches in the world. One of the biggest problems we've seen at this club in recent years is that players don't improve under new managers, and we've especially seen this season that the technical quality of our team is not up to scratch, and for whatever reason is also not improvong on the training ground.

For another, Tuchel is a modern tactical expert. Jose might have been a great tactician, but his tactics had not moved with the times, and his tactics have stuck out like a sore thumb in his last three jobs. Tuchel's tactics are modern and sophisticated, based on the principles of pressing, ball retention, and structure without the ball, which are qualities all the best teams need in the modern game.

Finally, he has experience winning with difficult personalities. I actually agree with you that winning itself is the result of qualities rather than a quality itself, but what Tuchel had proved throughout his career is that he's able to manage egos and still win. This had been seen most obviously with PSG, but it has been there in his time with Chelsea too, and he's arguably also done really well to stabilise things at Bayern after a couple of damaging losses.

You could argue none of this is unique, but they are key qualities that appear to have been lacking under current and previous management.
I suggest you read reports and views from Germany of his seasons.

Lee565

Is it me or has the quality of managers in the current game taking a bit of a nose dive compared to the past decade or two?

It's amazing how few standout choices there are to the point that even Bayern are looking ragnick and Liverpool are making do with slot