Who replaces Ten Hag?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
From the latest reports Wilcox will be the one to decide what style of play we will be looking to implement.

Personally, I think we need to chill out with the "possession based attacking" mantra like it's a specific tactical setup. All top teams who have a strong tactical base play attacking football. Good technicians on the ball means you keep possession more and that translates to better attacking. The first step should be getting a manager who can make this team play better than the sum of it's parts. Then, use 3 or 4 windows to gradually improve the team and rebuild the squad.
Which is reported to be what I said...

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think Bayern would be daft to let Tuchel go. Ok he didn't win the league but their opponents haven't lost a single game all season so its just one of those things.

I'd love to have him. Frankly I'd rather keep Ten Hag than have Potter or Southgate though. One is a mid table manager and the other is probably championship level.
Technically they already agreed on terms to end his contract in the summer. So everything is in place to let him go and they would have to make a new offer to him to keep him. Doubtful whether he would take that under these circumstances.

Stadjer

Technically they already agreed on terms to end his contract in the summer. So everything is in place to let him go and they would have to make a new offer to him to keep him. Doubtful whether he would take that under these circumstances.
You never know.. he could take a page out of Xavi his book and stay :lol:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
To the ETH haters: Seeing Bayern appoint Rangnick (probably), Liverpool getting Slot while both clubs are bigger than us right now. Do you really think there’s a suitable replacement available? Because I can’t see it.
This is a good thing, as they've appointed none of the managers we've been linked with. The likes of Tuchel, Motta etc are still available. Of course there are both managers available that are proven to be better than Ten Hag, then there's managers that look very promising and could also be better. But that bar isn't even high anyway. Just depends on what road we want to go down.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
To the ETH haters: Seeing Bayern appoint Rangnick (probably), Liverpool getting Slot while both clubs are bigger than us right now. Do you really think there’s a suitable replacement available? Because I can’t see it.
All potential hires are risky. The question is whether keeping ETH for another season is even more risky, and based on what we've seen this season the answer is 'yes' compared to quite a lot of the options.

The-Mezzala

Surprised Eddie Howe not mentioned more. I know Newcastle have money but he has fast tracked them quicker than when City got the blood money. Also it would piss the Geordies off who still hate and blame us for Kevin Keegan losing his head 25 years ago. So for that alone it would be funny

Jericholyte2

Who on god’s green earth could get a tune out of these players?

Until key players are moved on (Shaw, Rashford to name two) NO manager will be a success at this club.

It would simply be more years wasted.

DavelinaJolie

Surprised Eddie Howe not mentioned more. I know Newcastle have money but he has fast tracked them quicker than when City got the blood money. Also it would piss the Geordies off who still hate and blame us for Kevin Keegan losing his head 25 years ago. So for that alone it would be funny
Considering we're looking to bring in Ashworth, whom he didn't exactly seem to be getting along with at Newcastle, I imagine this is highly unlikely.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm sorry but thinking Eddie Howe will leave Newcastle and join us is a bit daft. You're not going to join a club in turmoil whilst you're yet to see the fruits of your labour.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Enrique is his middle name.

like saying we should hire “Roger” (Steve Bruce)
But everyone knows him as Luis Enrique.

If the OP said we should hire Garcia, no one would have a bloody clue who that is.

Atheist

Even Neil Warnock would get the side organized better defensively than him.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Why? What would he bring that the last 6 managers hasn’t?

Would the club let him sell Rashford, Shaw, Bruno etc as needed?
Bruno is nowhere needed to be sold. Our only world class player (plus Martinez when fully fit).

But I agree with your overall point. Not even Pep would do better with our current team.

Until the powers up high release the hold they have onto the sporting side of things, no manager can improve us.

A proper football director 100% independent that don't answer to the money men or the manager, is the only way.

Last edited:

Roboc7

ETH is at that stage where it would be hard to appoint someone worse. Has backed himself into a corner with his stupid tactics and stick with them too long now. We look like the most poorly coached and disorganised team in the league.

The fact that Tuchel and Motta are available has probably pushed them to the top of the list now. I’d imagine Tuchel may be the favourite now.

MadDogg

But I agree with your overall point. Not even Pep would do better with our current team.

Until the powers up high release the hold they have onto the sporting side of things, no manager can improve us.
Absolute rubbish. No manager would turn this group of players into league champions, but pretending no manager could do any better than this absolute mess we've currently got is completely wrong. ETH has spent the entire season insisting we play this absolutely chaotic system, constantly being outclassed tactically by opposition managers (including literal Championship managers who have never been in the top flight), poor substitutions, overplaying players in terrible form while not giving others a chance even when they do well in the small cameos they have, and refusing to change anything despite seeing it's not working for an entire season.

It'd be harder to find a manager who wouldn't improve things.

Adz_99

Behave. Liverpool and Bayern are not bigger clubs than Manchester United.

siw2007

At this point I think Tuchel would be my preferred choice since Inzaghi won’t be available. However, this will be a new structure at United that he will be working for, one that will dictate the strategy of the club in terms of the kind of football we want to play and the recruitment, he will have to be willing to fit into that. But if he does, then I’d be pretty happy as he is a top class coach who is an excellent tactician, though admittedly has an additional talent for rubbing up people the wrong way.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Absolute rubbish. No manager would turn this group of players into league champions, but pretending no manager could do any better than this absolute mess we've currently got is completely wrong. ETH has spent the entire season insisting we play this absolutely chaotic system, constantly being outclassed tactically by opposition managers (including literal Championship managers who have never been in the top flight), poor substitutions, overplaying players in terrible form while not giving others a chance even when they do well in the small cameos they have, and refusing to change anything despite seeing it's not working for an entire season.

It'd be harder to find a manager who wouldn't improve things.
Yes, a new manager can make the team play better for a while, but these players will let him down eventually. Not an ounce of winning mentality among this spineless squad.

I don't see the point in appointing a new manager (specially a big name) when the job ahead is way too big to ever being able to achieve the expectations.

Hopefully the Ineos people use ETH to finish cleaning up the deadwood from the team before even thinking on bringing a new manager.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Why? What would he bring that the last 6 managers hasn’t?

Would the club let him sell Rashford, Shaw, Bruno etc as needed?
He’s tactically not a dope and can go toe to toe with best managers in Europe. This squad also needs a manager that would hold them by their legs and drag them into the positions he wants them to be in game after game and not end practice until he is sure every player knows exactly what’s expected of him for all 90 minutes.

soapythecat

I don’t care who comes in. I’d happily let Fletcher take over until a new manager comes in the Summer, but ETH has to go tonight. Him saying we are exciting to watch and dominated Burnley today is just too far. I think the guy is just saying anything to keep his ass in a job but it’s embarrassing. Have some pride and feck off.

Torino

Supports
Newcastle United
Heard we’ve rejected arbitration, Ashworth won’t be going anywhere for at least 12 months.

MadDogg

Yes, a new manager can make the team play better for a while, but these players will let him down eventually. Not an ounce of winning mentality among this spineless squad.

I don't see the point in appointing a new manager (specially a big name) when the job ahead is way too big to ever being able to achieve the expectations.

Hopefully the Ineos people use ETH to finish cleaning up the deadwood from the team before even thinking on bringing a new manager.
Why would ETH 'clean up the deadwood' (when he's the one who constantly plays some of the biggest problems) while a new manager wouldn't? Not to mention that the manager is going to have a decreased amount of influence on transfers going forward no matter who it is.

Expectations are for a slow and steady improvement. There's no reason a new manager won't achieve that, while there's every reason in the world to think that ETH won't as it's the exact opposite of what we're seeing. The longer he is here, the worse things are getting. And it's him failing the players more than the players failing him.

Bwuk

Just get rid now. Whether we finish 6th or 7th, it doesn’t matter. The leagues done.

Under Ten Hag we will get slaughtered in the FA Cup final. Under even a caretaker we might get a bit of a bounce.