g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Who replaces Ten Hag?

FortunaUtd

Actually a sextuple. But on the other hand this was the only successful spell as a manager Flick ever had, and it's not like he is a young manager working his way up. So I would be careful before signing Flick.

Nagelsmann himself is an interesting name and most likely will want to take a club job again after the Euro, but I also would be careful about him. He definitely is a good manager, but he has to step up to reach the absolute top of the game. He got amazing results for Hoffenheim, he got very good results in Leipzig (and yet already there Leipzig won their first titles just after he left - twice the DFB Pokal), and he got good results with Bayern, yet couldn't deliver the biggest one. Still should be worth a try, definitely one of the better options.
Scratch "successful", it was the only spell as manager of a professional football team he ever had.. :lol:

RedIan

What about Emery ? Have smashed us a couple of times and in my eyes plays more direct football.
why would he leave a happy villa who arevplaying well to come and manage a toxic club. He will be well,paid at villa. Coming to United is career suicide.

crossy1686

career ending
Lads, aim higher than managers who have already proven they can't do it here. In no particular order, here's a bunch of managers that are currently out of work and could be tempted to interim or stay on if they're good enough:

Gallardo
Ruud VN
Vitor Pereira
Potter
Flick
Lopetegui
Conte
Zidane

Then next season if you want to go elsewhere there's a bunch of other managers who could be available.

crossy1686

career ending
why would he leave a happy villa who arevplaying well to come and manage a toxic club. He will be well,paid at villa. Coming to United is career suicide.
Because we're Manchester United? Why do coaches keep going to Barcelona, Juventus, Liverpool etc when they're not winning things. The only thing toxic about our club is how bad the fans think things are because we don't let managers sign 11 new players when they arrive.

Robbie Boy

no frikkin chance, worst football ever under him.
Exactly.

I do love this part of our cycle when a manager starts to hit rock bottom; you have calls to bring previous failed managers back and start to romanticise their tenures. We have a bizarre fanbase when it comes to obsessions with previous managers.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Scratch "successful", it was the only spell as manager of a professional football team he ever had.. :lol:
Technically you are right... he managed Hoffenheim from 2000 to 2005, but that was Oberliga/Regionalliga which officially doesn't count as professional football, but is somewhere on the edge to it. Didn't realize that spell was before the professional 3rd league was created

Neilwij

Now I can only see this going one way for Ten Hag but I don't see where the club would go next for a manager. Potter? Not sure he could make much of a difference if so it would only be short term. Obviously there are much more knowledgeable people on here, so any ideas? Who would be the next person to step in this endless cycle of managers? And who could be crazy enough to take this job?

redcucumber

Lads, aim higher than managers who have already proven they can't do it here. In no particular order, here's a bunch of managers that are currently out of work and could be tempted to interim or stay on if they're good enough:

Gallardo
Ruud VN
Vitor Pereira
Potter
Flick
Lopetegui
Conte
Zidane

Then next season if you want to go elsewhere there's a bunch of other managers who could be available.
I would be stunned if any of them agreed to a short-term, interim contract. Vitor Pereira probably would, but then why the feck would we want him?

zurnalist

There are certainly candidates, but who in the right mind would want this job at the moment? We've never managed to get any immediate "boost" (apart from Ole) from getting new managers, especially mid-season.

The Spurs/Villa-like immediate manager boost is an exception, not a rule unfortunately. Especially in a club as toxic as Manchester United.

crossy1686

career ending
I would be stunned if any of them agreed to a short-term, interim contract. Vitor Pereira probably would, but then why the feck would we want him?
Because it's a chance to put yourself back in the big club shop window? Most of them shouldn't be our manager but they're good options for interim if they're open to that, if not then you go for your first choice now instead and give him the season to get the ship in order.

yamo123x

SAF would have been sacked in 1988/89 season had social medial existed, what a mistake that would have been.

I hate to mention other teams but ARTETA was vilified by arsenal fans but look at how fortunes have changed since he got rid of the big names and amassed a squad who work hard and play for him. Moyes at West Ham is another example, hated and hounded out on 2 different occasions in his Hammers tenure, but last night the west ham fans were singing his name at the final whistle.

Sacking ETH is an easy quick fire option but it puts us back another 2 years IMHO and with very few plausible contenders to come in and take this massive job on i just dont see any benefit in sacking him. I hope the club support the manager and give him time to turn this around. I certainly hope we get rid of the pre-madonnas first

crossy1686

career ending
SAF would have been sacked in 1988/89 season had social medial existed, what a mistake that would have been.

I hate to mention other teams but ARTETA was vilified by arsenal fans but look at how fortunes have changed since he got rid of the big names and amassed a squad who work hard and play for him. Moyes at West Ham is another example, hated and hounded out on 2 different occasions in his Hammers tenure, but last night the west ham fans were singing his name at the final whistle.

Sacking ETH is an easy quick fire option but it puts us back another 2 years IMHO and with very few plausible contenders to come in and take this massive job on i just dont see any benefit in sacking him. I hope the club support the manager and give him time to turn this around. I certainly hope we get rid of the pre-madonnas first
Ten Hag isn't SAF or Arteta. Giving a manager more time doesn't mean they will be successful or every team in the world would just do that instead of sacking their manager wouldn't they? Based on recruitment alone you can't give Ten Hag another 3 seasons, and that's before we even talk about the results and style of play.

redcucumber

Because it's a chance to put yourself back in the big club shop window? Most of them shouldn't be our manager but they're good options for interim if they're open to that, if not then you go for your first choice now instead and give him the season to get the ship in order.
We're a team without an identity, a complete mishmash of a squad with gaping deficiencies, with a number of ongoing off-the-pitch disputes rumbling on in the background. I can't see why any manager that values their name would actively walk into this mess right now. What's the best they could achieve given the circumstances? Maybe scrape top 4? At worst, the freefall continues and they shoulder a large chunk of responsibility. It's heavily weighted against them and there's absolutely no chance the likes of Zidane cheerily accepts a 9 month interim contract.

Cantona in disguise

Why would anyone want an interim. Remember Ralf. This lot will down tools for the rest of the season unless either Erik is backed no matter what happens this season (not saying that's the right or wrong choice), or a manager is brought in on a permanent contract (the players then have to perform for at least a year before they can chuck it in again)

Shinjch

No single manager is coming in and solving what is wrong at the club. Throwing names about is a totally pointless endeavour.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Otto rehhagel didn't speak a word of Greek, and yet he managed to do the unprecedented.
True, I’ve heard zidane say that’s a barrier to why he won’t coach in England though.

“People say why don’t you coach Manchester? I can understand English but I can’t speak it well”

crossy1686

career ending
We're a team without an identity, a complete mishmash of a squad with gaping deficiencies, with a number of ongoing off-the-pitch disputes rumbling on in the background. I can't see why any manager that values their name would actively walk into this mess right now. What's the best they could achieve given the circumstances? Maybe scrape top 4? At worst, the freefall continues and they shoulder a large chunk of responsibility. It's heavily weighted against them and there's absolutely no chance the likes of Zidane cheerily accepts a 9 month interim contract.
It's a free hit! It goes badly and you say "it's a shit show, no one can fix it" and no one questions it, you do well and you're wanted by everyone. It's win, win for anyone that isn't shit at their job.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Perhaps Ten Hag isn't the man, but IMO what is also needed is a cull of any player who played under any previous manager.

On the list of players who have got previous managers fired and somehow are still stinking the place out are

Bruno, Rashford, Shaw, Maguire, Dalot, Lindelof, Wan Bissaka, McTominay, Varane, Sancho, DVB, Martial

Ten Hag signed none of those players and most of them still get games. Until all of those players are no longer at the club, we will not progress. I am not saying we don't also need to shift out some of Ten Hag's signings too, but those on the list should be first out.

JPB

no frikkin chance, worst football ever under him.
It's the football most want now. But somehow back then everyone was crying for "United DNA" Counter Attack. Now suddenly everyone wants us to be prime Barca when all other teams are doing it. Van Gaal was the first in the Prem who tried it and had players like Smalling and youth players like Blackett and McNair playing Tikki Takka after a couple of days. Ten Hags team can't string 3 passes together after over a year. If anyone deserved more time to get it right it was Van Gaal.

Are you one of the people who say results won't matter if you see improvement in style of play and that it takes time to implement a new style? As long as you see improvement results in the short term shouldn't matter. Like I said Van Gaal had players passing it around and dominating possession after a few games. Van Gaal was going in the right direction.

redcucumber

It's a free hit! It goes badly and you say "it's a shit show, no one can fix it" and no one questions it, you do well and you're wanted by everyone. It's win, win for anyone that isn't shit at their job.
That's what everyone thought before Rangnick. As soon as they step foot in the door, though, people expect an immediate uptick in results. They are the manager of Manchester United, the squad is worth hundreds of millions, we've seen them win a trophy and finish 3rd as recently as last season, why aren't they getting more out of them? It's so painfully obvious I can vividly imagine it now. The position is absolutely toxic and anyone desperate and dumb enough to take it isn't the man for the job.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I hate to mention other teams but ARTETA was vilified by arsenal fans but look at how fortunes have changed since he got rid of the big names and amassed a squad who work hard and play for him.
It's been mentioned already, but Arteta is really the only comparable example and Arsenal haven't won the Premier League or the CL or anything.

You can find more examples of sacking someone and their replacement doing great.

crossy1686

career ending
That's what everyone thought before Rangnick. As soon as they step foot in the door, though, people expect an immediate uptick in results. They are the manager of Manchester United, the squad is worth hundreds of millions, we've seen them win a trophy and finish 3rd as recently as last season, why aren't they getting more out of them? It's so painfully obvious I can vividly imagine it now. The position is absolutely toxic and anyone desperate and dumb enough to take it isn't the man for the job.
It's not toxic if you're good at your job. If you keep hiring people who want to come in and throw everything out then you're going to get a bunch of people who don't want to work for that manager. I'm not saying don't replace people in the summer but you can't keep coming out and saying you're going to sell everyone because they're shit, how is that supposed to inspire anyone to be better? They're all just waiting to be shown the door.

Born2Lose

Parhaps the thread title should be changed from:-

"Who should replace Ten Hag?",

to

"Would it be possible for any other manager to be doing a worse job?"

buckooo1978

It's the football most want now. But somehow back then everyone was crying for "United DNA" Counter Attack. Now suddenly everyone wants us to be prime Barca when all other teams are doing it. Van Gaal was the first in the Prem who tried it and had players like Smalling and youth players like Blackett and McNair playing Tikki Takka after a couple of days. Ten Hags team can't string 3 passes together after over a year. If anyone deserved more time to get it right it was Van Gaal.

Are you one of the people who say results won't matter if you see improvement in style of play and that it takes time to implement a new style? As long as you see improvement results in the short term shouldn't matter. Like I said Van Gaal had players passing it around and dominating possession after a few games. Van Gaal was going in the right direction.
your memory of Van Gaal is very different from mine - ineffective zombie slow football with plenty of games we had 2 shots on target.

There were a handful of games where his football was really impressive - most notably Juanfield - he was lucky to have some good technicians in the side in Mata, Di Maria and Herrera

Even if the football had been effective Van Gaal is no spring chicken and I think having to work with chaos merchants like Bruno, Rashford, Garnacho etc who dont actually keep the ball would have Louis going even more bonkers

funny suggestion though - my first laugh of the day after that shite last nite

Woziak

United never extended ETH contract of £9m per year, it would cost about £15m to get rid as he’s only contracted to 2025 with the club having a plus 1 extension.

Give him 5 games to the 29th November, if he loses 2 more of those 5 which include Fulham, Luton, Copenhagen, Galatasaray and Everton sack him, losing 10 matches before the 1st of December must be a sackable offence for a Man United Manager! Gives the club time to put the word out for potential options.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Despite His tenure with Chelsea Potter is not some has been or semi retired professional we would be laughed out of room by his agent if we even suggest a 6 month interim contract and rightly so , best we can hope for is us to offer him 18 month contract on reasonable terms and then revisit the situation come summer once Ratcliff comes on board .
It is worth a try as right now he's not getting a job at this level without going down a level or two and building back up again. It would be a good opportunity for him, and I don't think the bar for expectations would be to be ridiculously high. If he could get us looking like a team again and have the players looking like they enjoy football then it's a start and that might be enough to get him the job permenantly.

If Ratcliffe is going to suggest him anyway then give him the 18 months and get the ball rolling early. Tell him this season is a free hit but he needs to get to the bottom of the issues by the summer and help put a plan in place to sort it.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Potter would jump at the chance to manage the club until the end of the season. Not sure if he's a great long term fit, given what we saw at Chelsea, but I'd happily give him a go until June instead of ten Hag.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
No one has to do that but you can't talk about standards, principals and intensity in training, then pick your preferred 11 every week regardless.
Due to injuries, the recent 11s have been far from what he would want to be picking. So your point ignores that several guaranteed starters have been unavailable to him for large parts of the season. Shaw, Martinez, Varane and AWB would be his starting back 4 and they started only two matches (and Martinez went of at HT in the second match then Shaw got injured long term).

Pre-season he was going for a Mount, Mainoo and Bruno midfield then lost Mainoo in the Madrid game after 2 minutes and he's not been seen since. Amad was due to be given a chance... got injured after about ten minutes, not been seen since. Amrabat was signed far too late after having zero pre-season. Instead of a player like Kim Min Jae.... we get Johnny Evans because the club is a billion in debt, the majority of which is the original debt put on the club by Uncle Malcolm in 2005. Hojlund looks a good signing... signed very late and came in injured... his injury is still being managed even now. People boo when gets subbed, but it's for medical reasons to try and ensure he doesn't get a permanent injury. Then there's the Greenwood debacle. The club higher ups thought they could bring him back and it would be like a new signing.... lolz

Casemiro was one of the best players last season and has missed half the games injured. Antony has been 'unavailable' for non-football reasons, Sancho has been a disgrace and is unavailable because he wouldn't do what he was told in training, regularly turned up late, won't accept anything is his fault all despite being paid 275k per week to be a 'professional' footballer

In all of this I am not saying Ten Hag in or out.. just that I do not see how any manager can be at their best set against all of that bollox, much of which is not of his making.

EireRed_GS

No one.

Like i mentioned on a diff thread, this was the last roll of the dice for Utd. They went all in on EtH.

If they decided now to get rid, they have nothing left in the bank to follow it up with.

They dont have the funds to sack Ten Hag / pay off another club to bring in a new manager / bring in the players that he wants (not to mention getting rid of the players he doesnt want.)

United are in a bad bad way behind the scenes. Ten Hag is a top manager, theres no denying that. He took that Ajax side to a CL semi playing cracking football. He had us playing decent football last year. The style of play is there.. What we are seeing currently is the same virus throughout these players we have seen over and over. When the going gets tough, they just give up, stop be able to do the basics, and bin any plan they might have had.

Ten Hag isnt totally blameless. some questionable choices and subs of course.. But im at the stage where its impossible to not notice the reoccurring pattern with these frauds on the pitch. We could bring in a management super team of Pep/Klopp/Ancellotti, and Im pretty certain this lot would eventually do the exact same to them too.

If we did bring someone else in, they have probably the hardest job ever in football. and they know its very likely they wont get much backing and its very likely their rep as a manager will go down the pan after a while. i wouldnt be surprised if plenty steered clear of Utd

Lee565

Perhaps Ten Hag isn't the man, but IMO what is also needed is a cull of any player who played under any previous manager.

On the list of players who have got previous managers fired and somehow are still stinking the place out are

Bruno, Rashford, Shaw, Maguire, Dalot, Lindelof, Wan Bissaka, McTominay, Varane, Sancho, DVB, Martial

Ten Hag signed none of those players and most of them still get games. Until all of those players are no longer at the club, we will not progress. I am not saying we don't also need to shift out some of Ten Hag's signings too, but those on the list should be first out.
Varane is our best defender by some distance, I can't see what shaw has done wrong either?

crossy1686

career ending
Due to injuries, the recent 11s have been far from what he would want to be picking. So your point ignores that several guaranteed starters have been unavailable to him for large parts of the season. Shaw, Martinez, Varane and AWB would be his starting back 4 and they started only two matches (and Martinez went of at HT in the second match then Shaw got injured long term).

Pre-season he was going for a Mount, Mainoo and Bruno midfield then lost Mainoo in the Madrid game after 2 minutes and he's not been seen since. Amad was due to be given a chance... got injured after about ten minutes, not been seen since. Amrabat was signed far too late after having zero pre-season. Instead of a player like Kim Min Jae.... we get Johnny Evans because the club is a billion in debt, the majority of which is the original debt put on the club by Uncle Malcolm in 2005. Hojlund looks a good signing... signed very late and came in injured... his injury is still being managed even now. People boo when gets subbed, but it's for medical reasons to try and ensure he doesn't get a permanent injury. Then there's the Greenwood debacle. The club higher ups thought they could bring him back and it would be like a new signing.... lolz

Casemiro was one of the best players last season and has missed half the games injured. Antony has been 'unavailable' for non-football reasons, Sancho has been a disgrace and is unavailable because he wouldn't do what he was told in training, regularly turned up late, won't accept anything is his fault all despite being paid 275k per week to be a 'professional' footballer

In all of this I am not saying Ten Hag in or out.. just that I do not see how any manager can be at their best set against all of that bollox, much of which is not of his making.
His making:

Signing players who hardly improve us for big money when players with the same stats were available for less.
Not using funds wisely enough to improve multiple areas.
Injuries caused by picking the same 11 players 3 times a week.
Having a bunch of youth players he's not playing because he'd rather just keep picking Rashford, Bruno, whoever else.
Not playing players like Varane over a 36 year old Evans for 'tactics'.
Chasing players all summer then deciding not to play them at all or in their preferred position.