g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Who replaces Ten Hag?

AshRK

Who would be interested in having Mourinho back?

No matter what people think of him he is a far better manager than Ten Hag and has been proven currency on a number of things he has said about United.
Only sadistic people and jose cults

Baxquux

I give up people think we should just celebrate failure and persist with what isn't working and never will
It's the SAF retrospective fallacy. Failure at the start and dysfunction in a squad is seen not only as 'not a bad thing' but as sanctifying a manager's reign...the worse they do, the more 'suitable' or anointed they must be. Guess we really should have kept Moyes for the 6 years.

In any case, I've seen very little since March to suggest ETH understands how to set up any collection of these players against a decent team without relying on a capricious (or maybe even depressed) and in footballing-terms not especially 'smart' Rashford to hit form again, or Bruno's speculative balls to work consistently. Injuries aren't a sufficient mitigation.

No real movement, no interplay combinations except in fits for a few minutes, no adaptability, invariably awful shape. The 'shape' at least could be fixed by the likes of Sam Allardyce or Hodgson, let alone the more glamorous or adventurous managers we look for . If given authority to coach -and only to coach, with a DOF actually dealing with the rest and guaranteeing no player their future - there are probably a good 25-30 head coaches in Europe with 'feasible' buy-out clauses or equivalent who could do an equal or better job.

the_cliff

Ok tell me, right now which club is on upward trajectory, us or Newcastle? It doesn't matter what happened pre- saudi Newcastle. This is a different Newcastle. Or you are denying that as well.
Things change quick in football. At the end of last season we finished ahead of Newastle beating them in a cup final. Spurs finished out of the European spots and had lost their greatest ever player in the summer transfer window.

Fast forward 3 months we're suddenly a worse prospect than those 2 clubs and are complete shite. Relegation fodder, no players in world football will want to come and play with us and players/managers would prefer to go to Spurs and Newcastle than us. Grow up, stop being a drama queen.

If Spurs won an efl cup this season it would be their most successful season in 15 years and if Newcastle won the efl cup it would be their most successful season in 50+ years (Unless you want to count the championship).

AshRK

Things change quick in football. At the end of last season we finished ahead of Newastle beating them in a cup final. Spurs finished out of the European spots and had lost their greatest ever player in the summer transfer window.

Fast forward 3 months we're suddenly a worse prospect than those 3 clubs and are complete shite. Relegation fodder, no players in world football will want to come and play with us and players/managers would prefer to go to Spurs and Newcastle than us. Grow up, stop being a drama queen.
Why make childish remarks when we are having mature conversations or is too hard for you.

I never said no players will join us or Newcastle are bigger than us. My point again is Eddie Howe is at a club where he is already doing well and playing CL football. He has built that to make them reach that point. Why would he want to redo everything at a club where pressure is more and chances of reward is less. Couple of bad months he will be eaten alive by the press and the fans. The risk for him is more.

As for agne. He is just beginning his journey with spurs, if he makes them finish in top 4, why would he not want to take them a step further and maybe even see if he can make history with them.

I am not saying it is impossible to poach them but it is also not that easy as you make it sound like.

And this doesn't make me drama queen, it's called different opinion.

Strelok

Who would be interested in having Mourinho back?

No matter what people think of him he is a far better manager than Ten Hag and has been proven currency on a number of things he has said about United.
No. I fecking hate his dinosaur football. Even if we win. And no he's not a better manager than ETH judging on what they've done in the last 5 years. And that man is insufferable. And he might bring back that donkey Lukaku.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Quite a risky one, but I really want to see. Marcelo Gallardo manage in Europe

the_cliff

Why make childish remarks when we are having mature conversations or is too hard for you.

I never said no players will join us or Newcastle are bigger than us. My point again is Eddie Howe is at a club where he is already doing well and playing CL football. He has built that to make them reach that point. Why would he want to redo everything at a club where pressure is more and chances of reward is less. Couple of bad months he will be eaten alive by the press and the fans. The risk for him is more.

As for agne. He is just beginning his journey with spurs, if he makes then finish in top 4, why would he not want to take them a step further.

I am not saying it is impossible to poach them but it is also not that easy as you make it sound like.

And this doesn't make me drama queen, it's called different opinion.
There's not even a guarantee of Newcastle finishing in top 4 this season mate (We're only 2 points behind them despite the fact that our players have obviously downed tools). Again how are the chances of reward less when he's managing a team that hasn't won a trophy in 50+ years and joining a team that beat them in a cup final just last season ?

Also, there's something called ambition and every English manager would jump at the change of managing the biggest English club....

AshRK

There's not even a guarantee of Newcastle finishing in top 4 this season mate (We're only 2 points behind them despite the fact that our players have obviously downed tools). Again how are the chances of reward less when he's managing a team that hasn't won a trophy in 50+ years and joining a team that beat them in a cup final just last season ?

Also, there's something called ambition and every English manager would jump at the change of managing the biggest English club....
But if newcastle do miss on top 4, how would howe be a good appointment in the first place. If he can't even be a success at Newcastle, why would he be a success here.

the_cliff

But if newcastle do miss on top 4, how would howe be a good appointment in the first place. If he can't even be a success at Newcastle, why would he be a success here.
The question was why would Eddie Howe join United when he's at Newcastle, don't move the goalposts.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I give up people think we should just celebrate failure and persist with what isn't working and never will
The manager isn’t the only interchangeable part of this situation that isn’t working. There are many other variables!

Nobody said anything about celebrating either, but ripping it all up and starting over isn’t the only way to change the outcome.

KD6-3.7

I am fully on board with sacking Ten Hag because the football is atrocious and there’s honestly no vision that most fans can see that it will get any better. However unless a proper footballing Structure is put in place with getting rid of the likes of Richard Arnold, John Murtough and Fletcher ect..bring in a proper DOF to oversee bringing in the new manager and to somehow fix this Frankenstein squad we currently have otherwise the new manager will just have the exact same fate.

But this club is always reactive instead of proactive so highly likely nothing changes.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I give up at this stage. Cloning pep probably at this stage. Call him john or something.

AshRK

The question was why would Eddie Howe join United when he's at Newcastle, don't move the goalposts.
I already explained. Can't bother to retype everything if you don't want to understand.

You were the one who said Howe will be an improvement to eth and then say chances are he might finish outside top 4. If that's the case how is even an improvement.

Orange Tree

Glazers have fecked our season. Had the issues of ownership been sorted early we wouldn't be in this predicament.

As it is, I can't see us changing anything until Ineos are in.

JackieDaytona

Longtime lurker, first time poster, time to surface. (be nice)

As much as changing the manager seems likely, getting in a capable Director of Football is more important at this time. It all falls down to the ownership issue and you would hope that if the reports of SJR's 25% are true and him running the footballing operation, he would have some idea of whom he would be getting in.

I think we'll struggle against Fulham and in Copenhagen but this team is not capable of challenging on all fronts in its current state. Going back to a single league campaign until the FA cup kicks in might keep Ten Hag in the job until the DOF position is filled.

If ETH does go then I can see it being someone like van Nistlerooy on a short term deal. At least he would have the backing from the stands.

Laurencio

I am fully on board with sacking Ten Hag because the football is atrocious and there’s honestly no vision that most fans can see that it will get any better. However unless a proper footballing Structure is put in place with getting rid of the likes of Richard Arnold, John Murtough and Fletcher ect..bring in a proper DOF to oversee bringing in the new manager and to somehow fix this Frankenstein squad we currently have otherwise the new manager will just have the exact same fate.

But this club is always reactive instead of proactive so highly likely nothing changes.
If Ten Hag could keep it floating until January, a new structure brought in some very solid players, shipped off and replaced some problem players and we saw traces of an identity. Awesome. But at this rate I fear it will get a lot worse before it gets any better - and an utter humliation to the scouser is on the cards before we even get to January.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Carlo Ancelotti:

1. Reggiana (1995-1996)
2. Parma (1996-1998)
3. Juventus (1999-2001)

No Trophies before
4. AC Milan (2001-2009)
5. Chelsea (2009-2011)
6. Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) (2011-2013)
7. Real Madrid (2013-2015)
8. Bayern Munich (2016-2017)

All the club needs is a manager that will stick to the football philosophy that made us hire him. This job is not an apprenticeship.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The best suggestion I've heard is give Potter till the end of the season to prove he's good enough for the job in some way. If he does then great, if not then it's the end of the season and we'll be able to negotiate easier for the permanent manger who will probably still be in a job. At least you'll know Potter can't just come in and half arse it, as he will need to try his best if he's to get the job. I also think his personality will give a lift to the players. He's big on psychology and think he could help some of our players as a coach.

By the summer time Ratcliffe should be in, along with his apparent choice for manager. He can then decide what to do. We don't need to wait for Ratcliffe to officially buy his shares before we can act, have the conversation with him now.

I like some of the other options out there, and I think there's a few that could do a good job here. So would be equally happy to see them given a shot, though I'm not convinced they'd come at this point of the season.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Whoever it is has to be allowed to sell Rashford, Bruno and Shaw, McTominey and to release Martial.

The player power is a real problem and a new coach needs a chance without those longer serving players hanging around.

They are supposed to be the leaders, but they let us down every single time. It needs a clear out urgently.

I don’t want to see another side built with any of them in it.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The best suggestion I've heard is give Potter till the end of the season to prove he's good enough for the job in some way. If he does then great, if not then it's the end of the season and we'll be able to negotiate easier for the permanent manger who will probably still be in a job. At least you'll know Potter can't just come in and half arse it, as he will need to try his best if he's to get the job. I also think his personality will give a lift to the players. He's big on psychology and think he could help some of our players as a coach.

By the summer time Ratcliffe should be in, along with his apparent choice for manager. He can then decide what to do. We don't need to wait for Ratcliffe to officially buy his shares before we can act, have the conversation with him now.

I like some of the other options out there, and I think there's a few that could do a good job here. So would be equally happy to see them given a shot, though I'm not convinced they'd come at this point of the season.
I think Potter blew his chance and he's not got the cojones for this level (whatever that means for us at the moment) but I'd take him till the end of the season and literally tell him, you're fighting for a two-year contract.

And don't give him stupid money, since he got enough of that from Chelsea. Make sure he actually comes here for the job/project.

Shows us some pedigree or feck off basically. I fully expect him to fail but at least it'd be more intriguing than the current dross being served.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Graham Potter is David Moyes 2.0. He hasn't got the personality or character to manage a big club. I think he found his level at Brighton.

gajender

I think Potter blew his chance and he's not got the cojones for this level (whatever that means for us at the moment) but I'd take him till the end of the season and literally tell him, you're fighting for a two-year contract.

And don't give him stupid money, since he got enough of that from Chelsea. Make sure he actually comes here for the job/project.

Shows us some pedigree or feck off basically. I fully expect him to fail but at least it'd be more intriguing than the current dross being served.
Despite His tenure with Chelsea Potter is not some has been or semi retired professional we would be laughed out of room by his agent if we even suggest a 6 month interim contract and rightly so , best we can hope for is us to offer him 18 month contract on reasonable terms and then revisit the situation come summer once Ratcliff comes on board .

RedDevil@84

If ETH gets sacked tomorrow, pretty sure Ole will be the caretaker manager for rest of the season.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
The fanboy Jose cults are something else.
He has been the best manager since Ferguson but you guys are really desperate if some of you are even considering him back. :lol:

Ten Hag is supposed to be a good coach but even when the team is doing this bad I would worry about changing other stuff first, like some of the players, the culture within the club or the upper management responsible for the lack of direction.

ti vu

This approach doesn't work. I meant the manager is not supposed to decide transfer on his own, but his suggestion should be listened. DOF recruitment team should always work on transfer regardless of manager. You don't sit idle past a transfer window where some interesting players may move, until new manager appointed and work from there.

Rangnick suggested transfers should have been listened. Could have gotten some quality players for cheaper he did. Or for example, for Spurs, at least Vicario looks like Paratici's homework signing despite Paratici had left early this year.

If we continue to wait for next manager, and have him pick our transfer target, we may as well return to manager model and sack all the scouts, Director football, data analyzers... to save money.

always_hoping

He has been the best manager since Ferguson but you guys are really desperate if some of you are even considering him back. :lol:

Ten Hag is supposed to be a good coach but even when the team is doing this bad I would worry about changing other stuff first, like some of the players, the culture within the club or the upper management responsible for the lack of direction.
The time to get Jose in was when Ferguson retired and not when he was past his best. So looking for him to come back now is even more than desperate.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Oles ready to take the wheel
May not be such a bad idea. You know that no coach can/will/want to come in and implement his approach with 2/3rd of the season to play.

Ole for all his weaknesses would be good at pulling the squad back together -- at least till the end of the season.

croadyman

Bring in an interim, don’t give a shit who. Appoint new CEO and DOF, which will surely happen if Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE bid goes through.

Start offloading players in January and let new CEO and DOF start putting plan into action and sort out the new manager.
Who would you want to see as interim just out of interest,also are we prepared to pay what it takes to sack Erik. Apparently it would be around the £15m mark like it was for Jose.

croadyman

I thought Zidane has said he doesn’t want to come to England?
If ETH is sacked, it will have to be a caretaker for six months whilst using that time to find a long term replacement,. Nobody of note will walk into this clusterf**k in November.
Yeah definitely feel like there will be more options in the summer,however really starting to wonder who can actually get this rabble to respect him, fully buy into his ideas and be able to manage their massive egos as well