Who replaces Ten Hag?

macheda14

So, he might leave, he might stay and if he leaves he might go anywhere. Thanks for that amazing scoop Ed.
The scoop is that we’ve started a dialogue with him. The story as a whole is he has interest in him and he hasn’t made a decision. How else should it be reported?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
We’re being linked to so many now it Would be good to get a poll going on the site to see what people would prefer (unless I’ve missed it). It would also give ineos a helping hand in their decision :)

ten hag
Frank
Potter
Mckenna
Southgate
Tuchel
Other

sepulturite

Thanks for the info @MadDogg @sepulturite . I forgot that Villa has rich owners. But still worth to try, if possible. Villa hasn't spent much money for years.
I doubt United will bother now he's signed an extension, would cost a fortune to get him now which we can't afford, and I doubt Emery would've bothered signing it if he knew there was a chance of the United job.

NLunited

I was more thinking why would he want to walk into the shit show that we are now. He's doing very well at Villa.
That is a problem. We have a massive rebuilding job to do still, with not nearly enough players moved on last summer.

Schmeichels pinky

I think getting Ipswich up was a bigger achievement honestly. I think it's underplayed quite how competitive the Championship is now - look at Leeds and Southampton's respective budget comparatively and the players they signed and the supposed value of the squads on transfermarkt:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leeds-united/transfers/verein/399

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/transfers/verein/677

Thomas Frank has done a fantastic job at Brentford and clearly has a winning mentality, so I'm sure that he'd do well here, but it's hard to tell sometimes. Not a hill I'd die on and it's obviously not my decision, hopefully the hierarchy make the right call, whatever it is (and that might still be sticking with Ten Hag)
Me neither, too small a hill
Of course it’s impossible to know until we see them here. I just think it’s even harder to stay in the Prem than getting there, especially more than two seasons. And Brentford didn’t even have a large budget in the Championship if I remember correctly so getting them to playoff finals two years in a row is also some achievement.

wolvored

Wilcox was at Southampton.

The thing is, Berrarda had what influence on the style of play at City? None that I can gather, and we don't have a clue what Wilcox has in store for us because INEOS hasn't told us anything about their plans. If there are any.

I also don't want us to be City Mark 2, imagine how BORING that would be? We've already failed with every single possession manager we've had, as well as the defensive coaches like Mourinho. Can't we just play attacking football like Fergie, Tommy Docherty and Matt Busby? We were dominant doing that under Fergie and Busby, and very entertaining and hard to beat under Docherty playing it as well.
He was academy director at City as well, so will have a good insight on how things run properly

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
People go on about Iraola, yet was he that much of an improvement over Gary O'Neil who finished two points behind him this season?

mu4c_20le

surely he wont stay at a club where the directors take shots at him every other week

Shady

People go on about Iraola, yet was he that much of an improvement over Gary O'Neil who finished two points behind him this season?
In terms of expected points they were 20th last season. About 10th now.

Last edited:

Uncle Mainoo

We are very tight lipped at the minute. I wouldn’t expect Ineos to give any clues of who’s leading runner If that’s ETH or a McKenna.

BorisManUtd

They'll wait few years before going for McKenna probably. Will be interesting to see how Carrick develops as he's had 2 solid seasons at Middlesbrough as well.

Tuchel definitely staying at Bayern, no Amorim or de Zerbi links so I think it'll be either ten Hag staying or Potter coming in.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
This news is a bit more encouraging, the links to the likes of Southgate and Potter might just be the usual media driven bollocks.
Aye I think that's what it is. Southgate doesn't make sense in the first place because his England future is up in the air and he won't decide his future until after the Euros. That could be mid July. There's no way we would wait that long to appoint a head coach.

saivet

Interesting quote from Ornstein.

Just listening to the segment and the reasons he stats are that Southgate is concentrating on England and no meaningful discussions have or could take place until after the Euros.

References Potter and the Chelsea perception.

Mention of Tuchel's future being a bit up in the air at Bayern and United might not be looking for a big name at the moment.

It was all a bit vague as Ornstein as he doesn't really know who is top of the list. I think the point is that it's not a forgone conclusion.

chris123

With Tuchel now probably staying, I don't think there's a single candidate out there I find appealing.

Probably better just sticking with Ten Hag and giving him one last season, rather than rushing a choice which could just set us back another 3-year cycle.

Motta, Inzaghi, Amorim, Nagelsmann, even McKenna, all become more appealing/possible options after one more season (assuming they succeed).

BorisManUtd

Well then there's not many names left. McKenna and Amorim (there have been no links with him) left. Maybe they'll just go with McKenna if we lose the cup final. It shouldn't depend on one game but that one game is a cup final and in a way win or loss can set the mood for next season. Losing Fa Cup final to Chelsea in 2018 and EL final in 2021 surely didn't help to Mourinho/Ole as July and August approached.

chris123

Hoeness and Motta might be names to watch out for if this is the case. Kieran McKenna obviously fits as well but that just all feels too soon.

As with my previous post, a lot of these younger managers probably become more intriguing as options if they get another season. Same if Nagelsmann taps out after the Euros. And tbh, everything Ornstein is reporting doesn't really make it sound like a manager change is the plan as it stands.

Carolina Red

Staff
One guy that we were kinda linked with before Ten Hag that has kept doing well… Paulo Fonseca.

He’d probably get the most out of Bruno, too.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
You keep reading different things for the same folks. I swear the other day I read that he fell out at Chelsea as he wanted to take the structure to take care of everything else while he concentrates on the coaching. This makes it sounds like he would want to have a say in more things than coaching. Which one is true?

pascell

I'm glad about that, Tuchel would likely have signed an extension with Bayern before we sacked ten Hag anyway. Southgate is a massive no and Potter needs a team where he'll get time with no pressure, as we haven't made the CL then the next manager will be under pressure to deliver top 4 next season.

Jan Kubis

I'm confident that Ten Hag will stay and rightly so imo.

I want to see what he can achieve with a proper structure to support him.

Uncle Mainoo

It’s pretty obvious the decision has already been made a long time ago. If we are to go with the hints by the muppetiers podcast, the ownership are big admirers of McKenna and a lot of the previous board memebers who may still be present from his time here before.

Sir Jim has given many clues with regards to Arteta even though those who hang onto ETH believe it was support for him. How I don’t know considering ETH’s age he’s hardly a young prospering manager who will benefit from time and patience.

We shall see but I’m convinced McKenna has been front runner from the beginning and his Ipswich promotion has just improved his chances.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He'll do feck all and be sacked by Christmas with us writing off another season.
This "Structure" has become the holy grail. I wonder why teams with "structures" ever fire managers when it is supposed to take care of everything.

Btw, what the feck does 'Game Model' mean? A new word seems to have entered the Cafe;s lexicon since INEOS took charge. Apparently, they are going to tell a manager a style of play and that manager like a puppet is going to start implementing that. Everything seems like a breeze with this new "structure"