Who replaces Ten Hag?

hobbers

At least he's not Southgate. I'd take a gamble on him or De Zerbi before wasting a single month more with Ten Hag.

It is worrying how every manager we're linked to has to have some kind of strong link with Brailsford/Ashworth.

Southgate, Potter, Frank, even Motta

Is that just typical dumb sports hacks being typically dumb, or something more to it.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He'd suit the INEOS model. Brentford are data driven. Analytical.

I think some United fans would like the directness and pace that Frank utilises. Some United fans hate possession.
This has INEOS written all over it. Cautious, team player, right mix of styles, ticks all their boxes. I would not be at all surprised if this was true. Much more credible rumour than Tuchel or Southgate. More likely than ETH staying.

Lyng

My problem with Thomas is that he was a completely flop at Brøndby. He has done very well at Brentford but his Brøndby time was an abject failure.

SirMattlives

There may be legs in this one but hard to know, many scenarios seem plausible if you join the right dots. Frank may have run his course at Brentford, and undoubtedly has done a good job there. His teams rarely look like they are confused how to play, but United seems like a big step up.

Hughie77

Frank. The only positive I got is he's a arrogant git, and maybe that's what is needed.. he was the most hated manager in Championship before they went up.. if he comes he brings Tony with him.. that's my guess..

Fallon d'Floor

My problem with Thomas is that he was a completely flop at Brøndby. He has done very well at Brentford but his Brøndby time was an abject failure.
You could argue that it was the 1st senior managerial role of his career. He was a youth coach before that.

Conte had some struggles at various Italian clubs early on his career. Simeone was a mixed bag in Argentina.

Looks like he learned from the Brøndby experience and found the right fit at Brentford. He was humble enough to become an assistant manager after leaving Denmark.

Solskajer was able to bounce back from terrible Cardiff stint to do an okay job at United. Frank is certainly more qualified than Ole was at the time we hired him permanently.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
From the candidates so far, id take tuchel, then frank. The rest seem like dross.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Frank. The only positive I got is he's a arrogant git, and maybe that's what is needed.. he was the most hated manager in Championship before they went up.. if he comes he brings Tony with him.. that's my guess..
ETH is an arrogant git and he's going to get sacked (hopefully). Why would a manager like Frank garner any respect from our players acting arrogant around them?

Lyng

You could argue that it was the 1st senior managerial role of his career. He was a youth coach before that.

Conte had some struggles at various Italian clubs early on his career. Simeone was a mixed bag in Argentina.

Looks like he learned from the Brøndby experience and found the right fit at Brentford. He was humble enough to become an assistant manager after leaving Denmark.

Solskajer was able to bounce back from terrible Cardiff stint to do an okay job at United. Frank is certainly more qualified than Ole was at the time we hired him permanently.
Absolutely and to be fair Brøndby was quite a bit of a mess with, I think it was one of the owners, writing scathing shite about the team and Thomas and fan forums.

Big Andy

Bloke
If Erik does go, I want a manager who will go fecking nuts on the touchline when we score, fist pumping knee slides, the lot. I also want one who will actually come out and put pressure on refs in interviews by calling them out if they continue to ignore blatant penalties, etc.

Big Andy

Bloke
ETH is an arrogant git and he's going to get sacked (hopefully). Why would a manager like Frank garner any respect from our players acting arrogant around them?
Ten Hag isn't arrogant, he's just Dutch and a bit weird.

Schmeichels pinky

Uhm, he’s far from arrogant. Confident, but certainly not arrogant. Watch his pre- or post match interviews.

Hughie77

Uhm, he’s far from arrogant. Confident, but certainly not arrogant. Watch his pre- or post match interviews.
He's a cocky git has been since he was In the Championship, maybe a bit more reserved now through experience, they guy rubbed up so many people the wrong way in the Championship, I'm not fussed either way if he's like that .. SAF rubbed people up the wrong way as well.. he won't come to OT any way .... its paper talk ..really

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Weirdly, my napolitan friend is telling me the Italian radio programmes are convinced Zidane is a done deal. I would be very surprised if that is the case though. Theres not been much chatter about him has there?

Abraxas

As if he's staying at Portman Road if United come knocking. Not happening. He'll be off, whether it's too early or not.

Thomas Frank - not inspiring I don't think but he's done a good job at Brentford and has a bit about him as a personality, he has the confidence to do it, which you absolutely do need to survive here. But really that body of work should not be enough to be qualifying to be United manager.

GazTheLegend

Weirdly, my napolitan friend is telling me the Italian radio programmes are convinced Zidane is a done deal. I would be very surprised if that is the case though. Theres not been much chatter about him has there?
Absolutely zero so far that I know of.

Kieran McKenna may be a dark horse choice to take the reigns though, as above. His tale of back to back promotions for Ipswich is Ferguson-esque.

Edit: the closest link available is that Zidane doesn't want to manage Bayern Munich, not that he wants to manage United.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Absolutely zero so far that I know of.

Kieran McKenna may be a dark horse choice to take the reigns though, as above. His tale of back to back promotions for Ipswich is Ferguson-esque.
I guess he would take less adapting, he knows the club already, but does feel a bit soon for him. Agreed on the Ferguson point though, totally exceeded all expectations.

saivet

I suppose the thing with McKenna, as much as he might want to stay at Ipswich, it would've very difficult, near impossible for him to turn down the United job. We've seen newly promoted teams struggle and if he comes up with Ipswich and they don't impress, this opportunity may not come back up for him anytime soon.

Schmeichels pinky

Would you rather have him than Frank? It seems many would and I don’t really get it. I’m not sure people are aware how big an achievement it was to secure another season in the Prem this year for Brentford. Their injury list has been at least as bad as ours with their entire back line out for a good part of the season - add Toney’s ban and you’d have them as dead certain relegation fodder year they ended 9th with the lowest wage budget in the league in their second season.

Frank has shown that he can adapt to opposition while maintaining a clear and consistent style of play. I think the people finding him not “inspiring” should consider the cards he’s been dealt

Last edited:

GazTheLegend

Would you rather have him than Frank? It seems many would and I don’t really get it. I’m not sure people are aware how big an achievement it was to secure another season in the Prem this year for Brentford. Their injury list has been at least as bad as ours with their entire back line out for a good part of the season - add Toney’s ban and you’d have them as dead certain relegation fodder year they ended 9th with the lowest wage budget in the league in their second season.

Frank has shown that he can adapt to opposition while maintaining a clear and consistent style of play. I think the people finding him not “inspiring” should consider the cards he’s been dealt
I think getting Ipswich up was a bigger achievement honestly. I think it's underplayed quite how competitive the Championship is now - look at Leeds and Southampton's respective budget comparatively and the players they signed and the supposed value of the squads on transfermarkt:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leeds-united/transfers/verein/399

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/transfers/verein/677

Thomas Frank has done a fantastic job at Brentford and clearly has a winning mentality, so I'm sure that he'd do well here, but it's hard to tell sometimes. Not a hill I'd die on and it's obviously not my decision, hopefully the hierarchy make the right call, whatever it is (and that might still be sticking with Ten Hag)

Paul778

I guess he would take less adapting, he knows the club already, but does feel a bit soon for him. Agreed on the Ferguson point though, totally exceeded all expectations.
Whoever joins needs to have the gravitas to control 24 senior players and their agents who are all capable of destabilising the club

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
money talk. Whatever Villa offer him, we double it.
Emery has just signed a new contract, and is being set up with a lot of power at Villa where he is increasingly the one making the sporting decisions. Basically the opposite of what we are doing where we want to get away from the manager wielding a lot of power. I can't find any links so I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I remember somebody posting a couple of months ago that he's also involved in some business dealings with the Villa owners. Those owners are extremely rich themselves and seem to be eyeing turning Villa into a true powerhouse.