Who replaces Ten Hag?

littlepeasoup

The current iteration of United is built to destroy reputations - can't remember a player or manager leaving us that was more highly rated when they left than when they joined. We might as well hire someone we all despise just to see them knocked down a peg or two. I vote FSW.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
The Newcastle game clearly showed that ETH has no control over his players. It's a joke at this point that he is still continuing. But we have seen this joke time and again in the past.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I know, but with the great season that Ancelotti is having I find it hard to see how they could not renew him. All those injuries and they're cruising.
Bayern replaced Heynckes with Guardiola after winning the treble. Real replaced Heynckes after winning the CL but not the league. Such a move wouldn't be unusual for Real or similar clubs.

lego xavi

Carlo Ancelotti, players like rashford, holjund and bruno will thrive under him

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Who's the worthy replacement? How can you do a proper interview process when we already have a manager in place? Shall we start talking the best young managers in Europe while Ten Hag still has a job? Would that be fair?
Do elite clubs run well even interview? That in itself shows a lack of certainty around where we would be going.

City wanted Pep and built their whole football structure around making it as attractive as they could to lure him to the plastic organisation, including hiring Txiki Begiristain years in advance.

Liverpool wanted Klopp and did not hesitate to fire Rodgers after letting him spend in the summer as soon as their main target became available.

Craig Ward

There isn't a manager in world football that would get this squad playing well on a consistent basis over a 2-3 season period.

The culture, mentality, attitude and entire structure of this club from the top down is beyond a joke.

It genuinely does not matter who manages us. We are rotten from the inside out.

I believe we would have a new manager bounce of course, but nothing would change if we sacked Ten Hag. Not a single thing would change

Smithy89

That is up to Ratcliffe and his team to decide, we're just fans. We played a team at the weekend who have a better manager so they're out there.

flameinthesun

There should be no sacking (if there needs to be one) until the takeover has been completed and the appropriate structural changes have been made.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If ten hag was sacked tomorrow I’d take Ancelotti I guess, seems a very short term appointment though and i haven’t seen much evidence that he can build/overhaul a squad that isn’t winning. Trouble is who else is about?

Like to think we’d sound out the likes of Howe or De Zerbi as well. Maybe even Pep if he fancies a proper challenge for once :lol:

M Bison

Supports
York City
Might as well get the cheapest manager we can find, the fans will turn on them and they'll get sacked in 18 months anyway so at least it keeps the compensation payment to a lower level.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Kieran McKenna worth a shout to keep an eye on in the coming years. Terrific at Ipswich, potential promotions in back to back seasons on the cards which is a hell of an achievement. Don't watch them but top scorers in league 1 last year and top scores in the championship this season too.

We've made appointments on less evidence..

crossy1686

career ending
Might as well get the cheapest manager we can find, the fans will turn on them and they'll get sacked in 18 months anyway so at least it keeps the compensation payment to a lower level.
Well if you keep hiring shit managers then that’s what you get. It’s not like people are turning on a good manager is it?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Well if you keep hiring shit managers then that’s what you get. It’s not like people are turning on a good manager is it?
In the current situation the idea to just ride a new manager bounce until INEOS sort out the board level probably isn't the worst idea. Still not a good one, but definitely not the worst.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Every manager who has been hired since SAF had a successful career before joining us, that suggests to me that the issue isnt the manager but maybe i'm wrong and if by some miracle an Ancelotti or equivalent would be willing to come here, they'd turn us into PL Champion contenders again.

My bet however, is that whoever is appointed will struggle and end up getting sacked, as has been the case with the previous 5 managers we have appointed. There's a pattern, and it isnt that they're all poor managers...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It ultimately depends on how we intend to shape the squad and how we want to play. Take for example, Ruben Amorim - he's press orientated and currently plays a 3-4-3/3-4-2-1. Do we have the squad for that? I would say no right now. Thiago Motta at Bologna with his crazy 2-7-2 philosophy, certainly missing a few key personnel to implement the "value of the ball" philosophy. I think we need to trim the squad to the players that fit a philosophy we want to move forward with, before we can even think of replacing Ten Hag.

AshRK

Kieran McKenna worth a shout to keep an eye on in the coming years. Terrific at Ipswich, potential promotions in back to back seasons on the cards which is a hell of an achievement. Don't watch them but top scorers in league 1 last year and top scores in the championship this season too.

We've made appointments on less evidence..
I would like him but if you are bringing him then he needs to be given time as well like Arteta. I doubt he will get that much time at United.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Every manager who has been hired since SAF had a successful career before joining us, that suggests to me that the issue isnt the manager but maybe i'm wrong and if by some miracle an Ancelotti or equivalent would be willing to come here, they'd turn us into PL Champion contenders again.

My bet however, is that whoever is appointed will struggle and end up getting sacked, as has been the case with the previous 5 managers we have appointed. There's a pattern, and it isnt that they're all poor managers...
Moyes had a successful career at Everton which is nothing like the United job. He went on to have a decent spell at Sociedad and a great spell at West Ham because that's his level but no other top club even looked at him.

Van Gaal and Mourinho were both in decline and no longer valued as truly top managers when we hired them. Neither of them got jobs at this level after leaving United either.

Ten Hag was successful managing a huge club in a small league in which they were going to absolutely dominate 28-30 games per season. It's again vastly different than the United job.

Gordon Godot

Moyes had a successful career at Everton which is nothing like the United job. He went on to have a decent spell at Sociedad and a great spell at West Ham because that's his level but no other top club even looked at him.

Van Gaal and Mourinho were both in decline and no longer valued as truly top managers when we hired them. Neither of them got jobs at this level after leaving United either.

Ten Hag was successful managing a huge club in a small league in which they were going to absolutely dominate 28-30 games per season. It's again vastly different than the United job.
Exactly, this we hired top managers narrative is rubbish. Moyes had NEVER won a trophy and few Everton fans were sad to see him go, terrible appointment. LVG was heading to retirement, a dinosaur with a legacy of falling out with players and boards while delivering dull football. Same can be said of Mou, whose divisive fear-based style was increasingly seen as outdated and football awful. Ole was a joke, lets be honest, zero qualification for the role.

joedirt87

Carlo like a lot of managers could get us back into the top 4 next season based on vibes and moments, which will of course be followed by a down year when the players quit on him. Maybe he could keep us more consistent if Ineos get a good structure in for the summer and get a massive clear and out rebuild going?

RuudTom83

My expectations for this squad is around a 4th-6th place finish.

Mentally in the past 10 years the players have never show a resilience or determination to ever put a full season together, the odd month or two or good form is always followed by a period of averageness.

So I'm at the stage where I don't expect any manager can solve it long term. Talk of Potter, De Zerbi, Alonso makes me laugh as it's basically just repeating what has been tried before, talk of Ancelotti is slightly different but at best it is still a stop gap.

Best scenario is to wait for Sir Jim to change a few things about the manager and then let the repercussions slowly trickle down.

Woziak

De Zerbie is the obvious choice, he’s reaching his max potential with Brighton 6th-8th place, now is the time to strike and instantly we will be a better coached side.

This should be happening already behind the scenes, surely Sir Jim’s seen enough or the fraud who is ETH 17 yes 17 defeats this year from January to December the 4th, put into perspective 7 defeats from 38 games in January to June which is 19% loss rate then this season it’s 10 from 21 is 48% so our Dutch Fraudster has made the team much worse than last season and this actual year he’s loss rate is 29% that’s nearly 1 in every 3 games he loses , not draws loses !

He doesn’t know when a draw away from home is a good result, clearly doesn’t understand football. Last season we drew at home to Southampton and Leeds, lost to Brighton and West Ham and threw away 2 points away to palace?

Had ETH been a truly an elite coach he would have turned around at least half those results and ended up with at least 80 points and kept us in a title race ?

He can’t get a result against a good team and only once in a trip to Barcelona did he get a tune out of his squad?

He’s not the answer and we should just get rid and move on, this experiment did not work !

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
I'm not having YET ANOTHER rebuild. Sets the club back even further, give the man more time. He's had a season and several months.

Give him at least 3 seasons. Fed up of chopping and changing it's getting tedious and the fact that there's a section of the forum that want to change after 1 season is astounding. Yes we're shite but we've been shite for a decade +.
Bro climbed into my brain and stole my exact thoughts. This and all of this.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yeah Ten Hag is the first one that came in with with real recent success and forward thinking football being played at his previous stop... and then he decided he wanted to not play that way here. Insanity.

G3079

Supports
Nobody in particular
Bayern replaced Heynckes with Guardiola after winning the treble. Real replaced Heynckes after winning the CL but not the league. Such a move wouldn't be unusual for Real or similar clubs.
To be entirely fair, that was back when Heynckes had already told the club that he would not renew his contract, more than half a year before he won those titles and announced his retirement. So I don't think that holds any water as an example.

M Bison

Supports
York City

Ajax havent dominated since he's left though, although i dont believe 1 person ever makes/breaks a team and its far broader than just the manager, which is my point with EtH, sack him and we'll be back here in 18 months time without a much bigger change.

The other option at the time we appointed EtH was Poch, if we'd gone for the latter he'd be on the verge of getting sacked now too and the narrative around him and his credentials would be exactly the same.

M Bison

Supports
York City
De Zerbie is the obvious choice, he’s reaching his max potential with Brighton 6th-8th place, now is the time to strike and instantly we will be a better coached side.

This should be happening already behind the scenes, surely Sir Jim’s seen enough or the fraud who is ETH 17 yes 17 defeats this year from January to December the 4th, put into perspective 7 defeats from 38 games in January to June which is 19% loss rate then this season it’s 10 from 21 is 48% so our Dutch Fraudster has made the team much worse than last season and this actual year he’s loss rate is 29% that’s nearly 1 in every 3 games he loses , not draws loses !

He doesn’t know when a draw away from home is a good result, clearly doesn’t understand football. Last season we drew at home to Southampton and Leeds, lost to Brighton and West Ham and threw away 2 points away to palace?

Had ETH been a truly an elite coach he would have turned around at least half those results and ended up with at least 80 points and kept us in a title race ?

He can’t get a result against a good team and only once in a trip to Barcelona did he get a tune out of his squad?

He’s not the answer and we should just get rid and move on, this experiment did not work !
And in 18 months De Zerbi will get sacked, with fans complaining about his lack of credentials in the same way they are about EtH. We're stuck on a loop until deeper changes occur.

crossy1686

career ending

Come on, none of the managers we’ve hired post Fergie have been a coup, there’s no way any of our rivals would have hired the managers we did. Like I said, you keep hiring shit managers this is what you get, shite results and a bunch of players who feel like their careers are being wasted by jokers who aren’t good enough to grace Manchester United.

Good managers succeed no matter what adversity they’re faced with. You think if we’d have hired Klopp or Pep and given them £400m we’d be in this position now? Shit, if we’d have hired Emery or even Pochettino and give them £400m we probably wouldn’t be in this position now.

As much as you want him to, Ten Hag doesn’t have what it takes to manage at this level. You can blame the players and you can make predictions about what will happen in 18 months time but these players have won trophies and got to finals.

If the next manager ends up being shit then you sack him in 18 months also. The longer you keep someone shit in the job, the more damage they do long term. There’s absolutely no precedent in football for keeping shit managers in a job that eventually makes them good at their job.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Ideally you bring in Ancelotti and McKenna as his number 2 with a view to taking over in a couple of years
Enough of this chat please.

Also I reckon Ancelotti could barely understand KM, to add to the other 40 reasons I’ve just posted.

crossy1686

career ending
And in 18 months De Zerbi will get sacked, with fans complaining about his lack of credentials in the same way they are about EtH. We're stuck on a loop until deeper changes occur.
No one’s complaining about Ten Hags lack of credentials now, they’re complaining that we’re absolutely shit and it’s no surprise because he’s done feck all in his entire career. People had reservations about his appointment due to this reason but we made it anyway.

Most managers have done nothing until they do something, that’s just how it works. somethings are true until they’re not.

crossy1686

career ending
There isn't a manager in world football that would get this squad playing well on a consistent basis over a 2-3 season period.

The culture, mentality, attitude and entire structure of this club from the top down is beyond a joke.

It genuinely does not matter who manages us. We are rotten from the inside out.

I believe we would have a new manager bounce of course, but nothing would change if we sacked Ten Hag. Not a single thing would change
What’s the fecking point in anything then? Might as well just delete the club and call it a day if there’s absolutely nothing we can do about anything anymore. God forbid sacking some shite Dutch manager might result in us hiring a good manager, but nah, let’s just give up before we try that.

M Bison

Supports
York City
What’s the fecking point in anything then? Might as well just delete the club and call it a day if there’s absolutely nothing we can do about anything anymore. God forbid sacking some shite Dutch manager might result in us hiring a good manager, but nah, let’s just give up before we try that.
the point is that the club footballing structure needs an overhaul. We can keep hiring and firing managers and hope something clicks, but until we have the right structure many people believe it won’t.

1 person isn’t going to be the difference between success and failure at a club the size of Man Utd!