Who replaces Ten Hag?

Tyrion

It's obvious ETH does. Most of the players signed are ex players from his previous teams.
And he's done it badly. My point is most coaches would do it badly. Most are used to leaving it up to a DOF and we haven't got a good one.

AshRK

You’re saying the football on the pitch lacks identity because fans want instant success…?

How do you feel that these two things are linked?
Fans who think changing manager with the setup we have will suffice to us becoming a top club are living in lala land.

Sack eth today, I bet we will he having this same conversation next season. We run in circles. We lack identity because we have zero plan and that stems from the top.

Which is why I said what I said, I find threads like this funny.

cyril C

And he's done it badly. My point is most coaches would do it badly. Most are used to leaving it up to a DOF and we haven't got a good one.
ex-players are not a problem, as long as they are good.

Take Hojlund as example, do people really think he is better than Weghorst, Ighalo? Poor 1st touch, poor ball protection, no intelligent passing, and yet we paid the price of Lukaku, for quality of Weghorst.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don't need to overthink swapping managers. It's a constant turnover. Stop looking at them to be your savior. The manager needs to be getting the most out of the team. Our coaching doesn't seem to be doing that right now

Tyrion

Take Hojlund as example, do people really think he is better than Weghorst, Ighalo? Poor 1st touch, poor ball protection, no intelligent passing, and yet we paid the price of Lukaku, for quality of Weghorst.
He's better than those two. We overpaid as always but let's not be reactionary.

Mainoovement

In an ideal world, the ownership is sorted out before a decision on Ten Hag is made, and the new owners can decide on what to do from there. As for names in this scenario:
Ruben Amorim, Marcelo Gallardo, Roberto De Zerbi, Marco Rose, Hansi Flick.

However until we get new owners I don't think any of this matters anyways. Just have to hope this downward turn in form spooks the Glazers into selling.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Let's not exaggerate now. He's absolutely better than those two. Whether he's worth the transfer fee we paid, whether he's got the potential to be a top striker, and whether he's the player we should've prioritized rather than somebody more experienced are all valid questions to ask. But I have no doubt he's a better player and a better fit for our team than Weghorst and Ighalo.

mu4c_20le

Fans who think changing manager with the setup we have will suffice to us becoming a top club are living in lala land.

Sack eth today, I bet we will he having this same conversation next season. We run in circles. We lack identity because we have zero plan and that stems from the top.

Which is why I said what I said, I find threads like this funny.
We lack an identity so we hired a coach to bring his, and built the team the way he wanted. Not the best way, we all know we should have a proper DoF, but we all thought ten hag was the one. Moaning about structure now is funny because if his signings worked out, he'd be hailed as a genius.

Two things can be true at the same time. We need a better structure, and he isn't good enough. If he needs such a good structure then is he really that different to De Zerbi? Could he do a better job at Brighton?

ManUtd1999

I’m not in favor of sacking him just yet. But, if he’s sacked, I would love to see Zinedine Zidane. That’s of course, is unlikely to happen.

AshRK

We lack an identity so we hired a coach to bring his, and built the team the way he wanted. Not the best way, we all know we should have a proper DoF, but we all thought ten hag was the one. Moaning about structure now is funny because if his signings worked out, he'd be hailed as a genius.

Two things can be true at the same time. We need a better structure, and he isn't good enough. If he needs such a good structure then is he really that different to De Zerbi? Could he do a better job at Brighton?
The question should be can de zebri work at a club like ours without any structure, I doubt. And that is not say De zebri is a bad manager but I feel we are always in the same cycle because of how things are messed up at the top. Should eth do better? Absolutely yes. But will sacking him solve everything? No.

And as for your question, I think ETH did show at ajax under a proper structure he shines so chances are he will do a solid job at Brighton just like De Zebri.

justboy68

Hiring Ten Hag was the right call. I think we were all on board with it. However sometimes you can make a good decision and have it not work out. I'm not wanting him out, because I don't think it would change much right now until preferably the owners, but at least the board and recruitment strategy is fundamentally restructured. If things get really toxic however and he loses the dressing room completely for example, then you make a change and bring any number of similar coaches out there.

I don't think there is anything particular about Ten Hag that sets him apart from a multitude of other coaches, so replacing him wouldn't really be a big deal. The key being that whoever comes in should have it made clear to them that they are just there to coach the players given to them and they are to aim to play x style of football. No more giving them substantial control of our entire football operation.

jeepers

Get the fecking Glazers out, pray the new owners are competent and do not treat the club as a “business”, then get a proper DOF.

KingCantona87

Get the fecking Glazers out, pray the new owners are competent and do not treat the club as a “business”, then get a proper DOF.
Completely agree, feck off Murtagh, the guy was bang average at Everton and I am being kind. He has no business being in the role he has at United.

fallengt

You’re saying the football on the pitch lacks identity because fans want instant success…?

How do you feel that these two things are linked?
From LvG to Mourinho to Ole to ETH. They all have different football styles.
Club can't recycle players fast/efficient enough to catch up with the manager change. But hey, it's manager's fault that their signings ain't world beaters 80% of times...always manager's fault

Natener

December 2024 - De Zerbi is just not the answer. He had a good structure at Brighton that’s why he did well. He can’t cut it here. We need Ange. He can handle Levy fecking about and still get his team playing.

May 2026 - Ange’s got to go. He only succeeded before managing lower pressure clubs. Losing Kane actually helped him cos everyone then gave him an easy ride.

2030 - “We want Glazers out! We want Glazers out!” That was the worst United performance I have seen in my 40years of following this club. This is all on (Insert manager name). He’s got two full summers to build his own team and we still look like 11 strangers on the pitch.

Melvin Udall

The point is that all managers need a certain amount of structure backing them. Ten Hag would’ve been rightfully hailed as a genius had his transfers worked out because it’s near impossible for managers to do that.

even pep and Klopp only have a certain amount of input over transfers.

I will say though that the inability to instill a style of play has been a big disappointment from Ten Hag. Even Klopp’s early Liverpool teams pressed and created lots of chances, even though they were often torn apart defensively.

It’s a sad state of affairs. I don’t have much faith for Ten Hag to turn things around, but I also have zero faith in the club’s ability to get better results from someone else.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
When you invest upwards of £8-10 billion; it's hard for anyone not to treat the club 'as a business' -- unless you are some sportwashing entity.

Even INEOS will see United as a 'business' especially coming from a business/commercial entity such as INEOS.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Treating the club as a business may not be ideal but it would certainly be an upgrade over what we have today.

skc_18

Calls to sack him are silly and over the top to be honest. Any manager would be in same situation , we have bunch of players who think they are better than they actually are.
But if results continue like this he might be sacked and Eth would have no one to blame except him. Players he bought this season like Mount , Hojlund does not seem to be complementing other players in squad. Too early to call but if we get closer to 6th position I think club would stick with him.

IamBurnsey

It doesn't matter who is manager the club is rotten from the top to bottom, until the glaziers are gone and all of their people then the club will stay in free fall!

Sakura

When you invest upwards of £8-10 billion; it's hard for anyone not to treat the club 'as a business' -- unless you are some sportwashing entity.

Even INEOS will see United as a 'business' especially coming from a business/commercial entity such as INEOS.
Meh. Just need someone who is not looking to make money out of the club even though there are not dumping their wealth in it like a sugar daddy.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Meh. Just need someone who is not looking to make money out of the club even though there are not dumping their wealth in it like a sugar daddy.
Like who? You can probably only find less than on one hand the number of billionaires in the world who could afford to spend 8-10 billion quid and not worry about it. And one of them is off his rockers.

ScholesyTheWise

It looks rather bleak at the moment.
Transfer business has been utter kack. He has to take a lot of blame for it. these are his players.
We never would have gone for Antony or Mount otherwise.
Coaching seems to be an issue for months now. Trying to play possession football with Bruno and Rashford.

and then- injury crisis, players whose mentalities are rather susceptible. It's not all his fault.

I think it's fair to say he's doing a bad job in circumstances where it's pretty damn hard to do a good job.

It's quite a surreal place to be at, where your current boss might not be up for it, but you can't imagine anyone else who'll do better necessarily.

Do you stay with what's shit at the moment, and pray it improves? or do you go to the next round of 99% guaranteed shit?

The incompetent board members of ours have yet another tough call to make.

jeepers

Completely agree, feck off Murtagh, the guy was bang average at Everton and I am being kind. He has no business being in the role he has at United.
Well, he has done well with the restructuring of the youth recruitment so maybe he can continue his work there.

Treating the club as a business may not be ideal but it would certainly be an upgrade over what we have today.
Yes, I didn’t want to type more but what I meant was it should be a football club first and foremost, then a business. Of course revenues and profits and the bottom line are massively important when you spend that kind of money, but United as a brand name and one of the biggest football clubs in the world already brings in a lot of money on its own. Get the facilities up to standard, improve the media (and social media) side of things. A well-run club will be making money no problem. Right now we’re not well run, not even close.

Last edited:

ohhrooney

Ffs, last year ETH won a trophy, he then reached the FAC final and finished 3rd in the league. Have we forgotton all that ??
We have had a shocking start to this season, loosing 4 games, but we are still in Sept. The injury list he has faced is unprecedented.

so now we have the sack him brigade, bet they cant wait until we get a new manager in so they can turn on him after 12 months.
Same old boring stuff being repeated. A cup that we all joke about if any other team wins it.

Every manager has some or the other mountain hill to climb, if it was fifa on god mode, we wouldn’t need a manager.

Besides other than Martinez and Shaw and thank god no Antony he had all his first choice footballers playing.

And if need a billion more worth of players to win against lowly mid table teams then its not just the owners who need to be thrown out but there has to be an accountability with the manager too.

Hannibal ran and tracked most of any players in past decade in a single match for United. His reward - bench. Meanwhile the God Rashford sulks and cries and acts selfish and doesn’t track back, his reward - start every game.

So many excuses for a manager who’s only achievement is winning with the richest Dutch team and over achieved with a genius player in De Jong in Champions League.

At no other club would any fans allow a manger leniency after losing 7-0 and 6-3 to their greatest rivals. But hey he won a Mickey Mouse cup and he just needs everything in his favour and a billion more, then we should judge him.

WaltJabsco

I will say though that the inability to instill a style of play has been a big disappointment from Ten Hag.
This is an issue due to our so called better players being unable/unwilling to play in a structured system. For some, its all about the induvidual ability to produce a moment of magic and take the accolades, rather than structured phases of play and team work.

We also have players who dont seem to want to put in the hard yards, pressing from the front, tracking back or busting a gut to win back possession when they lose the ball, they just pass it on to someone else.

I believe Ten Hag has realised that the influential elements of the team can't or won't adapt to the style we were expecting him to implement, to the point where he's effectively admitted defeat wuth his best transition team in the league statement.

Any manager would be in same situation , we have bunch of players who think they are better than they actually are.
Exactly this, and they are seemingly undroppable. It's a no win situation for any manager, although EtH own signings have not been a great improvement.

If ( insert manager bame here) was to drop the likes of Rashford, Fernandes, Casemiro and still lose, the fans and media would slaughter him, questioning why he's leaving out players with the ability to win games..

So they get a free pass, start every week regardless of performance kevel and attitude.The manager is in an impossible position.

yamo123x

Sacking ETH is 100% wrong thing to do.

2nd season syndrome in full force at the mo, not much going our way after a very poor pre season.

I think he is a determined character and can turn this around. He deserves our support

Judas

Open to offers
Can't even begin to think about it, or care. I'm exhausted by this never ending mess. Ten Hag shouldn't be in any danger yet, but the way things are going it'll be the first time I have zero real opinion on who comes in next, we're fecked regardless.

lilcurt

The question the minority who want him out can never answer.

In time he may prove that he isn't the one to bring back the glory days, but the problems are so much bigger than him. No one can be successful at the club in it's current state.

lilcurt

It looks rather bleak at the moment.
Transfer business has been utter kack. He has to take a lot of blame for it. these are his players.
We never would have gone for Antony or Mount otherwise.
Coaching seems to be an issue for months now. Trying to play possession football with Bruno and Rashford.

and then- injury crisis, players whose mentalities are rather susceptible. It's not all his fault.

I think it's fair to say he's doing a bad job in circumstances where it's pretty damn hard to do a good job.

It's quite a surreal place to be at, where your current boss might not be up for it, but you can't imagine anyone else who'll do better necessarily.

Do you stay with what's shit at the moment, and pray it improves? or do you go to the next round of 99% guaranteed shit?

The incompetent board members of ours have yet another tough call to make.
For me the answer to this is simple, the club is rotten from the top. We have zero money and lack quality in the squad. So you stick with a manager who at least has belief in half the players as he wanted them, or bring someone in who probably won't have the money available to change anything.

Stock with ETH, as a fanbase we shouldn't even be thinking of manager changes before an ownership change.

soapythecat

Whilst he’s doing a brilliant job of trying to get sacked this season, I don’t want him gone until we’ve changed ownership. We have to hope and pray that the crap we read about new owners comes true and happens this season. I’d be quite happy to stick with ETH and be sat in bottom half, out of all cups, if I knew the Glazers were gone and the new owners had booted Arnold, Murtough and Fletcher out. We will instantly be a better club. It will work down to the players 100%.

cpresc

Conte, Gailter, Blanc? I think the best option would be to go with a coach who has served a few different leagues but moved "up" so to speak without being sacked. Kind of like what Ange Postecoglou has done.
what, like Ten Hag did?

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
While i have many criticisms of his performance since the end of last season, i still dont think think sacking him s the answer. But he has to do better, by holding himself to the same standard that he says he holds our players to.

Reyoji-Utd

Who is going tonreplace him?

You have the top top manager in Pep, Klopp, Anceloti, and Zidane (his obvious records).

The rest are not better than him. Dont give me the trending coaches, he was it two years ago and look what Manchester United do to him now. Its enirely different to manage United now with all the circumstances happening.

The coach is not the problem, we have to accept that now. The club it self is the problems from top down. No structures, no new investments, uncertainties with ownership, and every decisions have to go through the owners...etc.

No manager in the world can help make the club better if every thing not in place to help each other out. There is only so much the manager can do.

So we can stop trying to replace the manager now (maybe when the players decided its enough and lets kick him out and get a new guy in and we make top 4 and rince and repeat)