Who replaces Ten Hag?

croadyman

Yes much better to stick with someone who is clearly not the answer and is just making us worse
So you tell me who out there is strong enough to handle managing Utd because I haven't a clue

Canagel

I’d be happy with someone like Simeone. Playing expansive modern football is never happening unless we get to start the squad from scratch. Let’s embrace our new underdogs tag in the city of Manchester and play like underdogs, let’s be defensively compact and hit teams on the break, let’s make scoring against us extremely difficult.
He doesnt even play that football anymore.
Whenever I've seen Atletico they look well drilled in attack. He has loosened the defensive shackles and allowed his attackers more freedom than they used to have.

Its not peak Mourinho ball 10 men behind the ball football and just counter as many of you think.

Defending competently is the bare miniumum, we are not a low standard club that we have to choose between competent defense and being expansive in attack. Not with the money we spend. Simeone is an upgrade on Ten Hag and most "attacking" managers out there if the bar is attack set up and chance creation.

LInkash

We should do a show like the Apprentice with Fergie inthe Alan Sugar role.

Bonus would be that any money made from it could go towards our transfer kitty.

garelo

People who want Simeone or another defensive/reactive manager, give your head a wobble please! 10 years of building team with frankenstein's approach should have been enough to teach us a lesson not to do that. IF ETH got sacked then the next manager should be another progressive manager who trusts in youth, able to get the best of average players, and play attacking football, not someone like Simeone for heaven sake!

lsd

The Oracle
People who want Simeone or another defensive/reactive manager, give your head a wobble please! 10 years of building team with frankenstein's approach should have been enough to teach us a lesson not to do that. IF ETH got sacked then the next manager should be another progressive manager who trusts in youth, able to get the best of average players, and play attacking football, not someone like Simeone for heaven sake!

You said another progressive manager who trusts youth and gets the best out of average players as if Ten Hag is doing that.

He clearly isn't

ROFLUTION

Would take Eddie Howe in a heartbeat.

Look at that Newcastle team ffs. We are way ahead of them in terms of elite world class talent within the squad but he has somehow made ordinary players like Schar, Almiron, Longstaff and co. look like world beaters. Imagine what he could achieve with our squad.
I somehow think his job at Newcastle is a lot easier too. No players that felt entitled to a lot of things, no players who think they're better than they actually are and completely different expectations when he took over.

He's basically never managed big stars yet - the lack of big stars is probably what is working great for him in the Newcastle team too, which is quite a homogeneous team. Great job done there.

garelo

You said another progressive manager who trusts youth and gets the best out of average players as if Ten Hag is doing that.

He clearly isn't
ETH trusts in youth, he gave chance to Garnacho, Mainoo, Hannibal, and he signed us Hojlund. thats 4 young players in less than 2 years, what more can you ask of him? I acknowledge that not every average player have performed as good as they were under Ole but Lindelof and AWB are performing better than they were back then, meanwhile the likes of Maguire and McT are in the end of their cycle and should be shipped off last summer.

Judas

Open to offers
I’d be happy with someone like Simeone. Playing expansive modern football is never happening unless we get to start the squad from scratch. Let’s embrace our new underdogs tag in the city of Manchester and play like underdogs, let’s be defensively compact and hit teams on the break, let’s make scoring against us extremely difficult.
Imagine genuinely wanting that football here. I personally don't want to win at any cost, especially after years of watching dog shit. I want to be entertained and love what I'm seeing again.

redIndianDevil

Imagine genuinely wanting that football here. I personally don't want to win at any cost, especially after years of watching dog shit. I want to be entertained and love what I'm seeing again.
There is nothing wrong with defensive football when done right. All I’m hoping for is competent football not like how Stoke used or Sean Dyche’s team play, more like Inter or Atletico. Their teams defend in an organised way and launch incisive counter attacks not Hail Mary route one long balls to a big man upfront.

I would like for us to play expansive football as well but that’s never happening unless we start the squad from scratch. There is way too many overpaid footballers who cannot play modern football in our squad. Either that or we need a window like Chelsea where we can get in 10 or 12 players to overhaul the squad - unfortunately we neither have the money or players with sale value to make the money as well.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'd rather that than shitting our pants against shite teams at OT or being pummeled by the likes of city and liverpool every season.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I somehow think his job at Newcastle is a lot easier too. No players that felt entitled to a lot of things, no players who think they're better than they actually are and completely different expectations when he took over.

He's basically never managed big stars yet - the lack of big stars is probably what is working great for him in the Newcastle team too, which is quite a homogeneous team. Great job done there.
Of course. Newcastle are building a side from the ground up. Their players are all busting a gut because they know they have to actually earn their place in the next stage of the plan that will include more prestigious signings. They're, more or less, showing the rest of us how you can use deep pockets as carrot and stick instead of offering ridiculous wages left, right and centre to play Billy big bollocks. Zlatan talked about it recently, we have several players with very strong opinions about how they should be utilized on a football pitch. There were even leaks that, toward the end of the Solskjaer era and during RR's tenure, they would bypass the manager and take their grievances straight to the suits. It's night and day, really, compared to what is happening at Newcastle.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Of course. Newcastle are building a side from the ground up. Their players are all busting a gut because they know they have to actually earn their place in the next stage of the plan that will include more prestigious signings. They're, more or less, showing the rest of us how you can use deep pockets as carrot and stick instead of offering ridiculous wages left, right and centre to play Billy big bollocks. Zlatan talked about it recently, we have several players with very strong opinions about how they should be utilized on a football pitch. There were even leaks that, toward the end of the Solskjaer era and during RR's tenure, they would bypass the manager and take their grievances straight to the suits. It's night and day, really, compared to what is happening at Newcastle.
This squad looks a lot different to the one Ole had though. We can't use these blanket statements about the players for the last 10 years because half of them have gone, stepped up or pushed down the pecking order for new signings.

The other thing is that it is the managers job to create that sort of atmosphere within our squad that you mention. Newcastle was a different beast but they had other issues - they were near relegation and their players had never looked even half decent for the most part. Howe has transformed them and that shouldn't be downplayed just because the circumstances are slightly different. ETH certainly doesn't help with changing the mentality when he consistently plays the underperforming players.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Look at that Newcastle team ffs. We are way ahead of them in terms of elite world class talent within the squad but he has somehow made ordinary players like Schar, Almiron, Longstaff and co. look like world beaters. Imagine what he could achieve with our squad.
We really aren't.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Those people are absolutely clueless and show they have learnt nothing the last 10 years.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

This squad looks a lot different to the one Ole had though. We can't use these blanket statements about the players for the last 10 years because half of them have gone, stepped up or pushed down the pecking order for new signings.

The other thing is that it is the managers job to create that sort of atmosphere within our squad that you mention. Newcastle was a different beast but they had other issues - they were near relegation and their players had never looked even half decent for the most part. Howe has transformed them and that shouldn't be downplayed just because the circumstances are slightly different. ETH certainly doesn't help with changing the mentality when he consistently plays the underperforming players.
The issues persist, though, and the circumstances aren't just slightly different. Is it even conceivable that a player can take a beef with the manager so far at Newcastle? I don't think so. This forum, when they didn't like the manager, was arguing that it was a disgrace for Rashford, Martial and Pogba to be asked to track back. Now, you hear voices rising up again that we must revert to what these players are comfortable with. Is this happening at Newcastle? Howe is playing the same high energy 442 he always did. I'm not absolving ETH from blame, he's made his bed and now he has to sleep in it. Hell, i'm not even talking specifically about ETH. Someone wondered what could Howe achieve with our squad based on how he's got Newcastle all geared up. The answer is, not much. It's one thing to manage Almiron and Gordon, who have everything to prove and lose at the club, and a whole different thing to convince Rashford and Sancho that they should be helping out their teammates off the ball. It's one thing to handle Isak's lapses of concentration early on in his PL career and it's completely different to try and wake up Martial, who's been stealing a living for nearly a decade at the club. Much bigger egos at United. When Newcastle get there, they'll possibly ditch Howe for someone better who will take them to the finish line. As for United, the atmosphere will always be a bitch to fix for one more reason: Because the egos don't match the actual abilities for the vast majority of the players.

L1nk

I don't want ETH replaced, just throwing some names out there, because to me there isn't a single standout candidate

Roberto De Zerbi
Arne Slot
Ruben Amorim
Julien Nagelsmann (if you can drag him away from the German national team next summer)
Xabi Alonso
Kieran McKenna

I mean it's easy to say lets sack him, but who do you get after is the hard answer

davidmichael

Giggs till the end of the season obviously
To be honest I can actually see something like this happening if ETH was to go before the season ended, if nothing else Giggs is held in high esteem at United and would play attacking football even if it could end up a disaster.

VDS has NEVER been a DoF. :rolleyes:
Thank you, I’m so bored of seeing people stating we should or should have brought VDS in as our Director Of Football when he was CEO at Ajax and Overmars was the Director Of Football.

I wouldn’t be against VDS as CEO instead of Arnold and Overmars coming in from the Belgian club he’s now at as Director Of Football but if ETH is likely to be gone by the end of the season that’d be pointless, we DO need a Director Of Football in though so we have continuity in our set style of play and players brought in to play that style.

Jam

To be honest I can actually see something like this happening if ETH was to go before the season ended, if nothing else Giggs is held in high esteem at United and would play attacking football even if it could end up a disaster.

Thank you, I’m so bored of seeing people stating we should or should have brought VDS in as our Director Of Football when he was CEO at Ajax and Overmars was the Director Of Football.

I wouldn’t be against VDS as CEO instead of Arnold and Overmars coming in from the Belgian club he’s now at as Director Of Football but if ETH is likely to be gone by the end of the season that’d be pointless, we DO need a Director Of Football in though so we have continuity in our set style of play and players brought in to play that style.
Giggs isn’t going to get touched by a barge pole by the club. Isn’t he awaiting re-trial or appeal on his case?

Even if he isn’t the club doesn’t want to attract any more attention in that regard at all.

Kaos

I keep hearing Xabi Alonso's name. Do we not think his loyalties to the Scouse would make that a little unlikely?

mu4c_20le

Absolutely not. Potter 2.0
Their personalities are a complete opposite. Potter is like Moyes, never meant to manage a big club. Unless something disastrous happens where he loses the dressing room, De Zerbi will probably manage City or Real Madrid someday.

9 Stone Elvis

De Zebri makes the most sense of any manager linked with us if it was a case of Ratcliffe coming in and wanting to put an entire structure in place but it would need that not p***ing about with changing coaches. It would need to be putting best in class in as scouts and director of football or whatever we call the now. If Ten Hag was collateral damage for that happening I would accept it reluctantly. If its not part of a grand plan then we should stay as we are.

FortunaUtd

I keep hearing Xabi Alonso's name. Do we not think his loyalties to the Scouse would make that a little unlikely?
Not just a little. If Alonso finishes this season with Leverkusen anything like he started it, without a major break down or something like that, he will have a clear path to any of the Real Madrid, Bayern, and Liverpool jobs, once they become available.
No way he would get sidetracked by taking a massively risky and difficult job at Utd that might very likely derail his career and jeopardize his excellent standing at these three clubs.
There absolutely no chance of Alonso coming to United.

El-Manos

Their personalities are a complete opposite. Potter is like Moyes, never meant to manage a big club. Unless something disastrous happens where he loses the dressing room, De Zerbi will probably manage City or Real Madrid someday.
he 100% will not. The board deserve more credit than him.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Put some of the United divas into that team and they'll sink too.

Abraxas

De Zerbi isn't proven quality. ETH had done more than him when he was appointed and he was also riding the wave of plenty of hype into the job. So what's the real difference there? If there was a stand out, proven winner it would be a different conversation but it's not about that with many of these "targets", it's just whoever is having a good run of form more than anything and then you get fans wanting to hit the big red button on ETH. But the thing is, form is not much of a shield to protect you against the shitstorm that is managing Manchester United, it's a different ballgame with all kinds of challenges that make it very difficult. The thing that would really suggest a manager has that type of gravitas is managing another huge football club successfully.

We should give the manager more opportunity. If it doesn't work this season then there's a decision to make but there's no point at the moment with the available candidates. More value in seeing what ETH can do as at least he's won something for the club recently and shown some potential here.

Cathy Ferguson

De Zerbi isn't proven quality. ETH had done more than him when he was appointed and he was also riding the wave of plenty of hype into the job. So what's the real difference there? If there was a stand out, proven winner it would be a different conversation but it's not about that with many of these "targets", it's just whoever is having a good run of form more than anything and then you get fans wanting to hit the big red button on ETH. But the thing is, form is not much of a shield to protect you against the shitstorm that is managing Manchester United, it's a different ballgame with all kinds of challenges that make it very difficult. The thing that would really suggest a manager has that type of gravitas is managing another huge football club successfully.

We should give the manager more opportunity. If it doesn't work this season then there's a decision to make but there's no point at the moment with the available candidates. More value in seeing what ETH can do as at least he's won something for the club recently and shown some potential here.
The difference is that De Zerbi has proven his pedigree in the PL which ETH hadn't before he joined us. Some fans argue that De Zerbi is overachieving due to the well oiled Brighton machine. Might be true. ETH is definately being found out and is on a sacking trajectory. He is probably safe for another couple of months but our club must be planning for a scenario where we finish outside top 6 or top 8, which our current poor form suggests.