Who replaces Ten Hag?

jamesjimmybyrondean

Genuine question. Is there a reason why Inzaghi barely gets any mention? He seems the whole package in terms of style of play and winning trophies

Hughes35

It's not great that Barca and Liverpool will be looking for managers as well. Gonna be an interesting summer.
I don't think Liverpool is an issue as they will get Alonso who wouldn't have realistically been on our radar. Barca could very well be a blocker though as I could see De Zerbi going there.

Redivy

It's very impressive what he's done this season.
Is it though? He has about 3 wins in his last 15 league games. And his system has conceded a shit ton of goals, not just at Brighton but it’s always looked suspect, even in Italy.

Gordon Godot

If INEOS is looking for a new manager in the summer everything points to De Zerbi, more so if they recruit Dan Ashworth who he previously worked with + Omar Berrada admires him too.

But people also forget that ETH was at the top of the list to replace Pep at City, so Berrada probably also rates him.

Also, I can see us going for RDZ and Brighton signing Farioli as replacement.
ETH was never top of any list to replace Pep, don't write such guff. He was turned down by Spurs. The absolute state of some posts on here.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Is it though? He has about 3 wins in his last 15 league games. And his system has conceded a shit ton of goals, not just at Brighton but it’s always looked suspect, even in Italy.
He's sitting in a very respectable position for Brighton, with a team which was picked apart during the summer and has since been ravaged with injuries. I'm not just talking about the last couple of months but the season as a whole. And even though they lose some games, he's got backup players and fringe squad players fitting into his team and still playing decent football.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Genuine question. Is there a reason why Inzaghi barely gets any mention? He seems the whole package in terms of style of play and winning trophies
Well he hasn't won Serie A yet. He's done well in cups with Lazio and Inter but he didn't have the best Serie A campaign last season. This season they should win the league as they have the best squad in Italy but that was the case last season too.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Can you someone remind me how much the club is likely to be able to spend this summer, in respect of the FFP restrictions?

red_de_pologne

He's sitting in a very respectable position for Brighton, with a team which was picked apart during the summer and has since been ravaged with injuries. I'm not just talking about the last couple of months but the season as a whole. And even though they lose some games, he's got backup players and fringe squad players fitting into his team and still playing decent football.
That's because of Brighton's strategy to buy layers and employ managers to fit certain style of play. Doesn't mean he'd make McTominay and Jonny Evans fit right in.

Laurencio

Can you someone remind me how much the club is likely to be able to spend this summer, in respect of the FFP restrictions?
Depends on how much can be written off as infrastructure, academy and women's football spending and how many players we can ship off or have on reduced contracts. If we actually manage to get CL that would also be a considerable boost. Covid allowances will also play a role.

If we sell academy products, as well as the likes of Rashford, Greenwood and McT we could spend truly astronomical sums - if we wanted to.

There's an exciting opportunity here. If INEOS play this smartly we should be able to revamp the squad and set ourselves up in sustainable way - enabling a decent performance based turnover of players for years to come.

Last edited:

Fallon d'Floor

Rubén Amorim could be a risk worth taking. He's still only 39. 15 years younger than ten Hag.

He's achieved a lot in his short time as a manager. He won a trophy with Braga and delivered Sporting's first title since 2002. Benfica and Porto have dominated Portuguese football for most of this century. So unlike ten Hag, who had his success with the biggest club in The Netherlands, he's managed to have success with Braga and Sporting who both have less resources and overall prestige. It's a bit like Ferguson breaking the Old Firm stranglehold on Scottish football. Not quite as extreme, as Sporting are a relatively big club.

Sporting won 8-0 last night. They're in with a good chance at adding another title this season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
At the very least he will put credence in setting up a central midfield that can pass the ball. That's a big sell to me, but I don't think it's enough alone.

Don't really see any name who strikes me as a must-appoint (though I'd definitely still be looking to move Hag on)

gaffs

Rubén Amorim could be a risk worth taking. He's still only 39. 15 years younger than ten Hag.

He's achieved a lot in his short time as a manager. He won a trophy with Braga and delivered Sporting's first title since 2002. Benfica and Porto have dominated Portuguese football for most of this century. So unlike ten Hag, who had his success with the biggest club in The Netherlands, he's managed to have success with Braga and Sporting who both have less resources and overall prestige. It's a bit like Ferguson breaking the Old Firm stranglehold on Scottish football. Not quite as extreme, as Sporting are a relatively big club.

Sporting won 8-0 last night. They're in with a good chance at adding another title this season.
I agree. I would like him. Great personality that I feel the players would want to play for.

Lux Thunder

ETH was never top of any list to replace Pep, don't write such guff. He was turned down by Spurs. The absolute state of some posts on here.
Sorry, I might be misremembering it, but weren't there strong links about ETH as potential replacement at City, before Pep extended his last contract ? He was considered a top up and coming manager while still at Ajax, no need to be rude.

All in all, I think ETH might get a chance under proper club structure but I wouldn't be suprised if INEOS replace him with RDZ or Farioli.

Monmouthshire Red

Supports
Chester
I'd go for the Senegal manager purely on the basis that he looks fecking scary and the players would be too shit scared to mess with him

RedRocket9908

Sorry, I might be misremembering it, but weren't there strong links about ETH as potential replacement at City, before Pep extended his last contract ? He was considered a top up and coming manager while still at Ajax, no need to be rude.

All in all, I think ETH might get a chance under proper club structure but I wouldn't be suprised if INEOS replace him with RDZ or Farioli.
Yes, Pep himself said if he was allowed to choose his successor he would choose Erik Ten Hag

Redivy

I agree. I would like him. Great personality that I feel the players would want to play for.
Amorim definitely has the personality of a top manager in my opinion. I think he gets his move this year and I really hope it is to us.

Varun1

Amorim definitely has the personality of a top manager in my opinion. I think he gets his move this year and I really hope it is to us.
Do tell us more about his personality mate.

mav_9me

The reason I'm not in favor of DeZerbi is cuz his Brighton are not great defensively. Maybe there are mitigating factors for that but that's an issue I see

Fallon d'Floor

The reason I'm not in favor of DeZerbi is cuz his Brighton are not great defensively. Maybe there are mitigating factors for that but that's an issue I see
It wasn't as much of an issue last season.

They lost 3 quality players from last season in Colwill, Caicedo and Mac Allister. Their replacements have been a big step down in terms of quality.

Brighton are basically a little light in the DM/CM department. Dahoud was in the team earlier in the season. Now their midfield is mainly Gilmour and Gross. Those two are very good from a technical POV, but lack a bit of steel. I think De Zerbri needs to trust Baleba more. He's shown glimpses of his talent. He doesn't start many games. His performance vs Liverpool a few months ago was impressive. Modur can bring that extra physicality they lack, but is coming back from 18 months out with injury.

All in all, I think De Zerbri is still doing a good job overall. 6th would have been their max level at the start of the season, for me.

When you factor in the injuries + having to deal with midweek European football for the 1st time in the club's history, the season is going well.

They topped their Europa League group, are still in the FA Cup, and are in the mix for a top 6 finish.

DavelinaJolie

Unlikely, but just throwing this out there because I don't really know jack about his situation ,aside from what I've heard on podcasts. Would Xavi be interested? Seems like Barcelona weren't very supportive of his goals for the team and recruited players that didn't suit what he was trying to do.

always_hoping

Maybe this time he wont stay in a hotel for two years.

He is dreaming. His stock has fallen so much. There is no way INEOS bring him back.
Was past his best when appointed in 2016 and as you say stock has fallen even further since then. Can't see any Premier league club daft enough to bring him back to England again.

The-Mezzala

Jose is definitely my favourite manager post Ferguson but he is not the answer anymore. We need a dynamic younger manager who plays attacking football. But respect him a lot and what he has done in the game.

mav_9me

It wasn't as much of an issue last season.

They lost 3 quality players from last season in Colwill, Caicedo and Mac Allister. Their replacements have been a big step down in terms of quality.

Brighton are basically a little light in the DM/CM department. Dahoud was in the team earlier in the season. Now their midfield is mainly Gilmour and Gross. Those two are very good from a technical POV, but lack a bit of steel. I think De Zerbri needs to trust Baleba more. He's shown glimpses of his talent. He doesn't start many games. His performance vs Liverpool a few months ago was impressive. Modur can bring that extra physicality they lack, but is coming back from 18 months out with injury.

All in all, I think De Zerbri is still doing a good job overall. 6th would have been their max level at the start of the season, for me.

When you factor in the injuries + having to deal with midweek European football for the 1st time in the club's history, the season is going well.

They topped their Europa League group, are still in the FA Cup, and are in the mix for a top 6 finish.
Fair enough I guess.

lsd

The Oracle
The good news is whoever we get is very unlikely to be worse than Ten Hag. The only way is up from here

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
The good news is whoever we get is very unlikely to be worse than Ten Hag. The only way is up from here
I'm from the future. It's February 2025.
Redcafe is full of posts "even ETH was better than this" and "sack this fraud".

I won't tell you the name, but you can guess it's anyone.

Anyways, I'm off to a club, heard Sancho and Rashy will be there to relief some stress before our game tomorrow.

Have fun, it will be a rough year!

Wilt

If the choice is Southgate or Potter…. give me the Special One every time

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Spalletti after the Euros would make me happy

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm from the future. It's February 2025.
Redcafe is full of posts "even ETH was better than this" and "sack this fraud".

I won't tell you the name, but you can guess it's anyone.

Anyways, I'm off to a club, heard Sancho and Rashy will be there to relief some stress before our game tomorrow.

Have fun, it will be a rough year!
Nah, impossible. When he’s gone nobody reflect on his time here, this season in particular, with any feeling of nostalgia and refer back to it as any sort of benchmark. It’s really hard to imagine us getting any worse.

Blood Mage

No point bringing in De Zerbi until we have the foundations in place for him. We need a manager who can guide us through a tricky transition period and Emery would be my pick.