Who replaces Ten Hag?

Robbie Boy

If he gets sacked before the end of the season, then it's likely a random interim appointment until the summer.

BorisManUtd

Personally I think what Potter did at Brighton is more impressive than Nagelsmann at Hoffenheim or Motta at Bologna. And it was much of the same job that needs to be done at Man Utd.

People tend to favour those they dont know.
Back in 2021 there was that poll who do we want as next United manager and I voted Potter because of how he was doing at Brighton and before that Swansea and also in Sweden. Obviously he failed at Chelsea but will be interesting to see his comeback at next club.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Back in 2021 there was that poll who do we want as next United manager and I voted Potter because of how he was doing at Brighton and before that Swansea and also in Sweden. Obviously he failed at Chelsea but will be interesting to see his comeback at next club.
I think I voted the same. I like Nagelsmann too, even if I think he is a bit hyped. Big issue with him is I always found him a bit weird. Same as EtH, but very german. Kind of felt that point was supported by him losing that dressing room in Bayern.

I also think Potter makes sense given that he has worked with Ashworth before.

lsd

The Oracle
Personally reckon ten Hag should be granted one more season with the incoming Ineos arrangement in place.

He's had his excuses this year with injuries, personnel issues and John Murtough's high-end recruitment policies.

Granted, he isn't blameless for our current mire, and his position should commence next term as being tenable, but, well, who is the replacement?

Potter? Nagelmann? Tuchel? Lopetuigu? Motta? Sporting Club do Portugal dude? Neil Lennon?

All the best coaches are spoken for and the replacements either underwhelming or about EtH's level.
Words just fall me. I just honestly can't understand the sheer delusion in wanting to give this fraud another season.

It's like asking to be stabbed after being shot

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’m torn between Amorim and inzaghi. Think inzaghi will get the best out of our underperforming players. I also think we’ll see a massive difference when playing out from the back with him.

DJ_21

We had a really easy run of fixtures coming up and Ole would've bounced back.
We were far worse under Rangnick.
This the same Ole that got thrashed of Watford? No bouncing back from that

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's not needed and it isn't possible either.

We have a lot of good players who are either out injured right now, or look like bad players because the environment they play in isn't ideal.

Maguire, Martínez, Mount, Fernandes, Rashford, Hojlund, Malacia, Garnacho, Dalot, Shaw, Onana, Mainoo, maybe even Amad, Hannibal and McTominay.

These are all players who we can count on going forward either as key players or guys who can play a role in a top team but not as a regular starter.
:houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier:

Chairman Steve

Nagelsmann’s my pick at the moment but l’m not confident on any picks at the moment. I wanted ETH but ever since that week we beat Barcelona and won the League Cup, it’s gone downhill.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Personally I think what Potter did at Brighton is more impressive than Nagelsmann at Hoffenheim or Motta at Bologna. And it was much of the same job that needs to be done at Man Utd.

I am asking out of curiosity, but how is 15th and 16th place, followed by a 9th place finish and really struggling to score goals, better than what the other two have done?

Nagelsmann got Hoffenheim into the CL and Motta could do the same with Bologna this season.

Nagelsmann then went on to have a 71.4% win percentage at Bayern, while Potter completely shit the bed at Chelsea. He has no charisma whatsoever.

Granted, I don’t know if Nagelsmann is an elite coach, but both him and Motta are doing far superior jobs and playing more attractive football and scoring more goals than Potter did at Brighton.

Maluco

At least with Nagelsmann and Motta it would feel like we had a chance at something special.

Potter would feel like a prison sentence at this stage. It would be the worst kick in the balls so far. New regime, finally some light…and Graham Potter.

RedRocket9908

I think people judge Potter on what happened at Chelsea but in honesty that job was a poison chalice given everything that was going on around them at the time so he shouldnt be judged on that in any way.

Woziak

I’ve been giving this an awful lot of thought and we need to be realistic, the club needs a new coach that they back for 2-3 years with the caveat that the team must finish top 5 which going forward will be champions league Qualification.

What’s left of this season is a fight for Europa League, we will not get 70+ points to get Top 4/5. If we finish with 65 points and end up 6th for this season and our current position that’s a huge win plus it gives the club a competition that they can use to develop players for the first team.

ETH is simply not the man, the drivel that he came out with after this game about in a race for fifth place, Jesus Eric your managing Man United and your out of your depth.

The next coach must play wining football, must have managed in the PL and finished in the top 3 at least, must have had recent European success, must be able to use the existing squad and get something out of the rest of the season.

Graham Potter and De Zerbie are not the answer, United need to find a manager that wins and wins quickly. Personally I’d sack ETH tonight and go get Conte on an 16/17 month contract. Tuchel is even more trouble and Mourinho would simply ignite the club too much with his park the bus football. Conte has had one bad season at spurs and in his head he was too big for spurs. He's coveted the United job for a decade, he finished in CL places three times and won the PL, Fa Cup.

He’s a winner, his football can be drab at times but he can also play attacking football. His default formation will be 343 or 3412 but he can play 4231

I’m not sure he’s the mid to long term option, maybe Naigelsman is the coach we should wait for this summer but right now I want the players to suffer and nobody makes them suffer more in training than conte!

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I am asking out of curiosity, but how is 15th and 16th place, followed by a 9th place finish and really struggling to score goals, better than what the other two have done?

Nagelsmann got Hoffenheim into the CL and Motta could do the same with Bologna this season.

Nagelsmann then went on to have a 71.4% win percentage at Bayern, while Potter completely shit the bed at Chelsea. He has no charisma whatsoever.

Granted, I don’t know if Nagelsmann is an elite coach, but both him and Motta are doing far superior jobs and playing more attractive football and scoring more goals than Potter did at Brighton.
Nagelsmann finished 9th too in his last season at Hoffenheim, actually. I also think we should remember that it is actually possible to finish top four in Germany with a smaller team. To be honest, and realistic, it is not in the PL. The gap in resources between the top 6 and the test is too big. One, even two, of the top 6 can fail, but rarely three.

I think Potter played more dominating football in the PL with Brighton than Nagelsmann did in the BL with Hoffenheim. He developed a foundation of play of similar quality in terms of passing and pressing as Arteta at Arsenal, Klopp at Liverpool and Pep at Man City. But with lower quality players. And I think the numbers back that up.

I dont agree that Potter dont have any charisma either. And if you think that is an issue with Potter, you are really in for a treat with the German.

Mr Smith

I’m torn between Amorim and inzaghi. Think inzaghi will get the best out of our underperforming players. I also think we’ll see a massive difference when playing out from the back with him.
Can we at least try to keep this thread to realistic targets? Inzaghi isn't leaving inter anytime soon.

crossy1686

career ending
Sack EtH tonight and bring Potter in until the end of the season. Give him an indication that the long term job could be his depending on how he performs.

Know it feels like Ole all over again but I can't cope any more!!
This is what should happen, but I suspect they’d offer Potter the permanent job and sack him if someone truly world class comes available.

iKeano

I think people judge Potter on what happened at Chelsea but in honesty that job was a poison chalice given everything that was going on around them at the time so he shouldnt be judged on that in any way.
I think people will judge Ten Hag on what happened at Man Utd but in honesty that job was a poison chalice given everything that was going on around them at the time so he shouldnt be judged on that in any way...

If completely & obviously unnecessary disastrous signing of Chelsea reject Mason Mount has taught me anything, it's that if it hasn't worked at a mid table Chelsea, it won't help bridge the gap between Utd and the tip 4.

Potter is Moyes 2.0 in waiting.

Maluco

Nagelsmann finished 9th too in his last season at Hoffenheim, actually. I also think we should remember that it is actually possible to finish top four in Germany with a smaller team. To be honest, and realistic, it is not in the PL. The gap in resources between the top 6 and the test is too big. One, even two, of the top 6 can fail, but rarely three.

I think Potter played more dominating football in the PL with Brighton than Nagelsmann did in the BL with Hoffenheim. He developed a foundation of play of similar quality in terms of passing and pressing as Arteta at Arsenal, Klopp at Liverpool and Pep at Man City. But with lower quality players. And I think the numbers back that up.

I dont agree that Potter dont have any charisma either. And if you think that is an issue with Potter, you are really in for a treat with the German.
So his worst season in football was Potter’s best?

He has a certain arrogance that I would much prefer over a dour Potter. He has also proven that he can consistently win games at a top club.

I think you are overrating the PL and underrating other leagues. To get teams like Hoffenheim and Bologna into the CL is a much better achievement than scraping into the top half of the PL in 1 out of 3 tries and consistently failing to resolve goalscoring issues.

Nagelsmann and Motta would bring excitement and hope and have proven they can qualify for the CL and compete at those heights on lesser resources. Potter has proven nothing. His time at Brighton is questionable and the team had issues in spite of good performances. There was no penetration in spite of his posssession.

At Chelsea, he had the same issues in scoring goals and wasn’t able to arrest a team in crisis.

We are a team in crisis. It would be a woeful appointment and clear as day that it would be a disaster.

CM

Can we at least try to keep this thread to realistic targets? Inzaghi isn't leaving inter anytime soon.
Why do you consider him unrealistic? I don't think he's the appointment we'll settle on but he'd have to at least consider it if one of the big Premier League teams came calling.

Green Army

Supports
Plymouth Argyle
We aren't going to make a squad overhaul in one summer.
It is possible - Klopp has managed to overhaul his entire midfield in the close season and over 2 seasons the forward line.

I do agree that ETH is not the man to manage you back to where you should be. Initially I felt that he was a victim of some incredible bad luck by inheriting some problems such as Ronaldo and the Greenwood issue; however, he has invested far too much in people like Anthony who was clearly overpriced and his man management of both Jason Sancho and latterly Antony has been very poor. Alienating players who are still major assets on your playing register is not good for squad morale.

I feel that Graham Potter would be a very worthy candidate. He has no current employer and therefore no buy-out clause and should not be judged one what he delivered at Chelsea which is the proverbial poisoned chalice. His management skills and tactical ability are well honed and until you appoint a new Manager, I feel that conversation about new players is pure conjecture,

What do you need?

Onana is starting to show his true mettle and I thought he was your best player against Man City. Sure he has a dodgy game in him but who doesn't. His main issue has been the constant changes at CB which have affected his confidence.

The issues at CB are mostly about fitness and avoiding injuries. Harry never lets you down and Martinez is a beast. Shaw is one of the best LB in the EPL.

Midfield is where you are the strongest with the guile of Mainoo and Fernandes although I think that Casemiro is past his best and if a suitable offer comes in from the Saudi League I would gladly accept. Arambat is not quite up to EPL standard and Mason Mount should be sponsored by BUPA for the amount of time he spends on the injury table. I genuinley adore McTomminay and am constantly amazed at the grief he gets from you lot on the page - tenacious, hard working and leaves everything on the pitch.

Up front I think that you have a real rough diamond in Holland, but he needs competition if he is to push himself. Garnacho and are not true forwards and Martial is clearly not up to it.

In the Summer aim to get rid of

Get rid of Varane (undoubtedly on a massive wage), Erikson, Casemeiro, van de Beek, Martial, Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood and let Potter build you a team.

Reactions: Raoul

Adz_99

People wanting Potter are mad. He did a good job managing a mid table club but was clearly not up to the job at Chelsea. He'd melt here.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Sack EtH tonight and bring Potter in until the end of the season. Give him an indication that the long term job could be his depending on how he performs.

Know it feels like Ole all over again but I can't cope any more!!
"Potter doesn't do auditions"

I don't think we could go Billy big bollocks like that even with Potter and he'd probably want a massive salary in that case

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Wayne Rooney interim until end of the season. F*ck it. We're doing nothing this season as it stands anyway and his legendary status might galvanise the squad into competing for the FA Cup.

LordSpud

One could say the same thing about the United job since Fergie went

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Why do you consider him unrealistic? I don't think he's the appointment we'll settle on but he'd have to at least consider it if one of the big Premier League teams came calling.
Then he'd pick them over us anyway.

JBG

SJR and whoever will be the new DOF should look to break the bank to bring S.Inzaghi as manager and also bring in Barella from Inter.

Cela shomana

I’ve been giving this an awful lot of thought and we need to be realistic, the club needs a new coach that they back for 2-3 years with the caveat that the team must finish top 5 which going forward will be champions league Qualification.

What’s left of this season is a fight for Europa League, we will not get 70+ points to get Top 4/5. If we finish with 65 points and end up 6th for this season and our current position that’s a huge win plus it gives the club a competition that they can use to develop players for the first team.

ETH is simply not the man, the drivel that he came out with after this game about in a race for fifth place, Jesus Eric your managing Man United and your out of your depth.

The next coach must play wining football, must have managed in the PL and finished in the top 3 at least, must have had recent European success, must be able to use the existing squad and get something out of the rest of the season.

Graham Potter and De Zerbie are not the answer, United need to find a manager that wins and wins quickly. Personally I’d sack ETH tonight and go get Conte on an 16/17 month contract. Tuchel is even more trouble and Mourinho would simply ignite the club too much with his park the bus football. Conte has had one bad season at spurs and in his head he was too big for spurs. He's coveted the United job for a decade, he finished in CL places three times and won the PL, Fa Cup.

He’s a winner, his football can be drab at times but he can also play attacking football. His default formation will be 343 or 3412 but he can play 4231

I’m not sure he’s the mid to long term option, maybe Naigelsman is the coach we should wait for this summer but right now I want the players to suffer and nobody makes them suffer more in training than conte!
When Conte and Jose are brought up, or when people seek short-term solutions, it becomes apparent that some individuals lack an understanding of the reasons behind our current predicament.Names are being thrown into the mix, and a few of them come with contradictory football philosophies, while others lack a distinct football style altogether. What happens after 16/17 months of Conte's tenure? I will rather win nothing if there is progress in term of estabilishing football style and building a coherent team

RedRocket9908

One could say the same thing about the United job since Fergie went
But then they would be wrong, Erik inherited a squad that should have at the very least challenged for the title if not won it the season before but were mismanaged and despite spending a couple of hundred million got them nowhere near, we had the best player in the world in our squad and Erik alienated him instead of working with him.

Wilt

Wayne Rooney interim until end of the season. F*ck it. We're doing nothing this season as it stands anyway and his legendary status might galvanise the squad into competing for the FA Cup.
Too early for Wayne.

Also wouldn’t want to land him with these awful players.

DJ_21

If we offered him the job he’d leave believe me. Who wouldn’t leave any team to join us?

Tiber

Ten Hag is a lost cause but the idea of replacing him with a Brighton's second best manager in recent years is a bit underwhelming

RORY65

But then they would be wrong, Erik inherited a squad that should have at the very least challenged for the title if not won it the season before but were mismanaged and despite spending a couple of hundred million got them nowhere near, we had the best player in the world in our squad and Erik alienated him instead of working with him.
I think Ten Hag has done a terrible job this season and will probably deservedly lose his job in the summer but your take here is miles off the mark regarding the squad he took over.

AFC NimbleThumb

Again. The question is not who replaces him. The question is given his performance does he deserve to stay in the role?

Our job as fans isn’t to come up with some argument for who replaces him, but to judge a manager’s performance as good enough of not.

DJ_21

This is what should happen, but I suspect they’d offer Potter the permanent job and sack him if someone truly world class comes available.
Surely there’s better managers than potter out there. Why should it be a case of going for someone that’s free or available. We’re Man United ffs… whenever we come calling people jump at the chance to join. It’s a massive step up and one of the biggest challenges in the world…

Chumpsbechumps

Same could be said about the United job

Tiber

Ten Hag is awful but our squad is nowhere near a title challange.

RedRocket9908

I think Ten Hag has done a terrible job this season and will probably deservedly lose his job in the summer but your take here is miles off the mark regarding the squad he took over.
The summer before he took over we signed Varane, Sancho, and Ronaldo and should have been challenging for the title but were mismanaged and had an awful season, Erik was given that squad and money to improve them further but got us nowhere near.