Who replaces Ten Hag?

gajender

Why do I get the feeling Potter would come in and give Rashford a new contract?
Well what's the point of getting Another director of Football possibly at great cost if manager would still be calling the shots and no Rashford won't be getting new contract even if stays here he just got new one last year .

Last edited:

Pscholes18

Well what's the point of getting a Another director of Football possibly at great cost if manager would still be calling the shots and no Rashford won't be getting new contract even if stays here he just got new one last year .
My point was that I feel Potter would be a pushover with the players. But with an actual proper support system, guess it would be difficult for it to get that far.

croadyman

Wayne Rooney interim until end of the season. F*ck it. We're doing nothing this season as it stands anyway and his legendary status might galvanise the squad into competing for the FA Cup.
Would make for an interesting last couple of months but definitely not ready for it permanently

Micky Targaryen

Maybe too risky, but I'd rather take McKenna than Potter. Potter has the advantage of having proved himself at Brighton in the Premier League, but also failed hard at Chelsea, while McKenna hasn't got direct experience at that level yet, but knows the club better, as he has already worked with the team since the Mourinho days and worked before at the U-18. Potter might have learnt from his mistakes, but McKenna has spent much more time at the top level, albeit not as a head coach. It's hard to say which experience makes one more ready to coach a club like United.
No offense but enough with that shit.

AneRu

Maybe too risky, but I'd rather take McKenna than Potter. Potter has the advantage of having proved himself at Brighton in the Premier League, but also failed hard at Chelsea, while McKenna hasn't got direct experience at that level yet, but knows the club better, as he has already worked with the team since the Mourinho days and worked before at the U-18. Potter might have learnt from his mistakes, but McKenna has spent much more time at the top level, albeit not as a head coach. It's hard to say which experience makes one more ready to coach a club like United.
It depends on his man management, I feel both will be swallowed by the cowboys we have who can't be disciplined enough to be part of a system. Unless if they strike first and get rid of Rashford, Bruno, McTominay and Maguire the moment they walk through the door. Add Casemiro and Lindelof, for quality purposes, to the list of departures and start from scratch.

Look at what happened at Chelsea and avoid buying up too many kids. Maybe a couple of old heads in addition to Varane and Shaw then make sure everyone else is 26 and under. Then and only then could they have enough authority. If we don't ship out the toxic band of cowboys we are just setting ourselves up for more pain in 2026.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I'd take a punt on Michael Carrick.

If it's too soon then Potter before Carrick to build a possession based ideology.

Carrick has learnt from SAF & LVG - it wouldn't surprise me if he became a top CDM/CM style manager.

Midfielders duty is to play a balance between attack and defence & this is why they tend to make good managers - they look out for the balance of a team.
I’m not sure… He’s slowly faded away at Middlesbrough. Had 1 decent season. He needs to show he can challenge teams, get Middlesbrough promoted and have a season or 2 in the prem to try and keep them in it… do you really think Carrick can compete with Pep though?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Some of these options. :lol: might as well keep Ten Hag until someone good becomes available.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ole as a caretaker? no more Ronaldo and Sancho (his nemesises). He should be ok.
Or appoint Woy and tell everyone it was Glazers who did that. So once we actually got a new proper manager we start with a clean slate and it will only be an upward trajectory under INEOS.

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Some proper clueless opinions going around. People calling for Carrick who genuinely haven’t checked how he’s doing in about 10 months.

led_scholes

I could be managing Manchester United & both Garnacho & Mainoo would break into the team whilst Hojlund cost £60mil plus. If after 18 months those 3 & ‘he has provided some good results’ is all you have to say about the manager then it epitomises how low people are setting the bar.

Ineos coming in doesn’t make his life easier, they’ll be demanding far better results than losing 16 of 30-odd games. You can put all the football structure around the man you like, the facts are we aren’t losing 3-1 to Citeh every week, we’re rudderless.
I don't necessarily disagree with you. He has shown he is not top class. If you add the awful transfers then there is no other choice.

I just think that if we had a better squad planning prior to him, he would need to a) rely on McT etc and b) he would stay away from recruiting players like Antony.

Ineos should start from him now. The new structure should not include him. He must go.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So I say Manager X & you say Manager Y. What exactly does that have to do with EtH losing 16 of 30-odd games?

We’ve minimal knowles compared to Ineos but if people are saying they can’t find someone to do better than EtH had this year then we may as well fold as a club.

No matter who’s he’s replaced with some fans will be hopeful & others pessimistic, you’d never replace a manager if everyone needed to ‘reliably and confidently believe in’ anything.

EtH has performed below what I would call minimum standards with this squad. He hasn’t been tasked with winning a league or even challenging but to be in a proper race for 4th which he isn’t. If the only defence for keeping him is that you can’t reliably & confidently feel something then that isn’t a justifiable reason for him to stay imo.
I’m not interested in discussing X vs Y. I’m saying if you’re confident of the view Ten Hag is such a problem that he needs replacing you should have in mind the qualities of the person you want to replace him with. Qualities you feel are lacking in Ten Hag and easily distinguishable in this other candidate. So you should be able to (if you are such a strong advocate of change) be able to confidently suggest that person.

I’m personally not of the opinion changing the manager will have the desired effect so many of you are craving.

I’d argue the following are far more important:
  • Improving the squad quality
  • Keeping key players fit
  • Improving the football structure
The only defence for keeping him isn’t just the above but I’ve made my position on the other factors clear before and have no interest in going over old ground.

Suffice to say I don’t see a single manager in world football who comes in and single handedly solves the club issues to the point where any fan would be fully satisfied because ultimately whether people admit it or not they want to win titles. No one manager will enable that to happen it’s a much bigger job.

daba

I like the job Amorim has done at Sporting. He's meant to be popular in the dressing room and has a clear vision and style of play (said that second bit about ETH though, so who knows when they get here).

I guess the main issue would be whether our squad would have the players needed to fit his favoured 343? I think we do actually, and with the squad needing some major work anyway, if he's the man for us we can always move in this direction. Given the current squad I think something like this would be the best fit:

Onana
Varane - Martinez - Shaw
Dalot - Casemiro - Mainoo - Antony
Amad - Hojlund - Garnacho

Martinez moves forward into the hybrid CB/DM role as suited, with Varane & Shaw holding the back line. Antony could obviously be upgraded at LWB, but Amorim has form for converting wingers into wing backs previously and christ, its not like we can get any less out of him as things stand. Dalot would be ideal at RWB.

Casemiro could be upgraded for someone with fresher legs to help provide balance next to Mainoo, though I still think he's serviceable in the right setup. Mainoo's composure would be perfect for this controlling midfield role.

The front 3 is tricky I think. Amorim likes fluid players capable of close interplay, something our lot have not excelled at. Regardless I think Nacho and Hojlund are perfectly capable. Rashford I'm less sure about and get the feeling he'll be off in the summer anyway. Amad looks ideal for that kind of setup but who knows if he's good enough.

Overall I think that would work much better than our current 'system', whatever that might be, assuming Amorim had the impact he has at previous clubs. Varane, Casemiro, Antony, Shaw and Amad could provably be improved on relatively easily with some clever scouting. The issue more than this starting lineup would probably be squad depth, which is filled with all sorts of spare parts at the moment.

Is he experienced enough and the right character to handle the pressure? No idea. But I think he's one of the most talented coaches out there at the minute.
I did a very similar post about a week ago about Amorim who I’ve liked the look of for a while now (link - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/who-replaces-ten-hag.479509/post-31679896). He has the personality and tactical nous I think to make it as a top manager, and there’s no wonder he’s seemingly Liverpool’s second choice after Xabi Alonso.

I genuinely don’t think our squad is too far away from suiting his system, and there’s no reason why we can’t fill most of the gaps in one window - mainly CBs and Wingbavk depth needed. I also think our squad could do with learning a fresh system, they’ve been playing this drab counter attacking 4231 for years now and changing it up might be good for them and spark something.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
It'll have to be someone with a strong personality who has won stuff and has the utmost conviction in his ideas. We have hired 5 managers so far, and only two with strong personalities and a pedigree were able to implement their own style of football (however shit), rest of the three failed at it and fell into the same pattern of risk averse football. Moyes, Ole and ETH, all three were/are devoid of strong personalities and were/are too afraid to lose. Jose's football was risk averse too; however we knew what he was about and his style of football. The new manager will ideally be someone with a track record of playing progressive football.

Hopefully, with a proper system in place the new manager won't have to deputize as recruitment manager too and his role would restricted to coaching the team and only giving inputs on the recruitment side. The new football structure should be responsible for everything else keeping in mind the long term future of the club. In due time, I would like to see our football structure mirroring the ones at Bayern or Real, where eventually the manager is basically a coach whose primary and only responsibility is to coach the team and is not an integral part of the system.

brontelicious

Words just fall me. I just honestly can't understand the sheer delusion in wanting to give this fraud another season.
It's like asking to be stabbed after being shot
Hyperbole aside, can you recommend a serious replacement which will return United to the top?

'Anyone is better than this' is not an answer, by the way, it's just more hyperbole.

Back in 2021 there was that poll who do we want as next United manager and I voted Potter because of how he was doing at Brighton and before that Swansea and also in Sweden. Obviously he failed at Chelsea but will be interesting to see his comeback at next club.
The Chelsea failure is what concerns me, because CFC are a club which, rightly or wrongly, is expected to succeed in Europe, title races and cup competitions.

Potter at BHA is a good example of an excellent audition, but can he hack the vast rigour of a starring role? Only available evidence isn't favourable.

Potter is in the frame because he's mates with Ashworth, is British and little besides.

I think people judge Potter on what happened at Chelsea but in honesty that job was a poison chalice given everything that was going on around them at the time so he shouldnt be judged on that in any way.
EtH also inherited a poisoned chalice...

Personally I’d sack ETH tonight and go get Conte on an 16/17 month contract. Tuchel is even more trouble and Mourinho would simply ignite the club too much with his park the bus football.
Why would Conte want an interim contract with these players? He'd want access to significant funds and would build a team accordingly.

Reactions: BenitoSTARR

E-mal

I’m not interested in discussing X vs Y. I’m saying if you’re confident of the view Ten Hag is such a problem that he needs replacing you should have in mind the qualities of the person you want to replace him with. Qualities you feel are lacking in Ten Hag and easily distinguishable in this other candidate. So you should be able to (if you are such a strong advocate of change) be able to confidently suggest that person.

I’m personally not of the opinion changing the manager will have the desired effect so many of you are craving.

The only defence for keeping him isn’t just the above but I’ve made my position on the other factors clear before and have no interest in going over old ground.

Suffice to say I don’t see a single manager in world football who comes in and single handedly solves the club issues to the point where any fan would be fully satisfied because ultimately whether people admit it or not they want to win titles. No one manager will enable that to happen it’s a much bigger job.
Just give up already, please God!
The man has been here for 18 months or more and we have been dominated by rubbish teams. We haven't been able to have a clear pattern of play, cede initiative and possession to average teams and man management has been absolutely dog shit.
I can't point to a single player who has improved under him and all his signings have been a monumental failure for one reason or the other.

If you believe that ETH can fix this good on you but don't come up with drivel like their are no managers that can do a better job.

I am happy to give this fraud man a chance if he at least comes out clean and tell us that he knows we have been dog shite but he will fix it rather he keeps coming up with post op addresses that suggest that we can't see the "beautiful" football being served up.

The Hacker

As frustrating as this season has been, do remember it’s his second season only. He’s had to deal with all sorts of issues, which surely would have been massively distracting. Yes we’ve lost a few but we’ve all seen some key decisions go against him in matches, which if they went the other way who knows where we’d be.

He needs (or for me deserves) at least 1 more season within a structure designed to help him succeed. If he then wastes that opportunity then sure, he can go. But talking about sacking him already is exactly why we are so far behind where we want to be.

its a repeat stat but Pep, Klopp and Arteta all had time to bed in. Go through players they thought would work before it clicked. We need that time under a single manager.

Rojofiam

I genuinely wonder if some of you think players get a brain transplant or something, whenever they look bad in a certain environment, but then either they transfer to another team, or their manager gets sacked at their current club, and they start improving in a new environment that masks their weaknesses and let's them play to their strengths, rather than how it basically used to be the other way around.

Or maybe they suffer from amnesia when they put on the United shirt?

:houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As frustrating as this season has been, do remember it’s his second season only. He’s had to deal with all sorts of issues, which surely would have been massively distracting. Yes we’ve lost a few but we’ve all seen some key decisions go against him in matches, which if they went the other way who knows where we’d be.

He needs (or for me deserves) at least 1 more season within a structure designed to help him succeed. If he then wastes that opportunity then sure, he can go. But talking about sacking him already is exactly why we are so far behind where we want to be.

its a repeat stat but Pep, Klopp and Arteta all had time to bed in. Go through players they thought would work before it clicked. We need that time under a single manager.
This is my sentiment. Though I'd agree with the sack if we had a good market to dip into, the fact is there's no manager that's a sure thing, or even more convincing than Ten Hag was before he came here.

A lot of the people in this forum wanted De Zerbi, which basically sums them up.

Rojofiam

It absolutely is.
The addition 3 or 4 quality players in each of the next 2 or 3 seasons whilst gradually shipping out deadwood as well as fixing the wage bill? Sure.

But this notion that everyone is bad other than Mainoo/Hojlund/Garnacho is just very far from reality. We don't need to, and can't sign 10 players whilst selling 10 in the same window. Becoming like Chelsea would be one of the risks as well.

Adz_99

Unfortunately I think we've passed the point of no return with Erik. The performances have been absolutely abject for 12 months now so this can no longer be chalked down to a blip or bad luck.

I can't think of a single positive from this season aside from a couple of individual players. I'd probably keep him until the end of the season because what's the point in getting an interim but if he doesn't do something miraculous now and get top 4 then he's going to have to go. 6th place just won't cut it.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Just give up already, please God!
The man has been here for 18 months or more and we have been dominated by rubbish teams. We haven't been able to have a clear pattern of play, cede initiative and possession to average teams and man management has been absolutely dog shit.
I can't point to a single player who has improved under him and all his signings have been a monumental failure for one reason or the other.

If you believe that ETH can fix this good on you but don't come up with drivel like their are no managers that can do a better job.

I am happy to give this fraud man a chance if he at least comes out clean and tell us that he knows we have been dog shite but he will fix it rather he keeps coming up with post op addresses that suggest that we can't see the "beautiful" football being served up.
So rather than addressing my questions or points you just want to moan.

Do you have any manager in mind you believe is right for the job? Has all the qualities Ten Hag allegedly lacks?

Can’t point to a single player who has improved? Really? Dalot, Garnacho, Mainoo?

All his signings monumental failures? Martinez? Højlund?

I don’t think you seriously think what you’ve just written too much of a WUM.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

To be fair, these comparisons (as well as comparisons with Alex Ferguson) are cherry-picked; there's a far greater abundance of managers who failed to live up to expectations, despite getting the time to bed in (and many of them left these clubs in ever deeper holes so there's reason to be apprehensive).
  • Pep Guardiola was already one of the absolute greatest managers in football history when he took the job at Manchester City. It made 101% sense to give him time given his outrageous body of work (which included his masterminding of the most celebrated and dominant club team of the 2000s), there were clear signs of progress (and them building toward a point of excellence) as he adapted to the club (and the club adapted to him), and he repaid the initial faith with a record-setting 100 points in his second season in English football.
  • Jürgen Klopp was arguably the second most important tactical luminary of the post-2000s era at Dortmund (trailing only Pep Guardiola in terms of imprint on contemporary coaching at large), and even someone as revered as Jupp Heynckes was partly influenced by some of his genenpressing concepts (which ultimately helped Bayern clinch the European Cup title). While his accomplishments might not have been as towering or ironclad as Guardiola's, it made sense to persist with him as there were signs of progression and you could tell that he was building toward something profound (in terms of charismatic leadership, game preparation, ability to go toe-to-toe with stronger outfits, principles of play, and even surface-level league table objectives: 2 points per game and goal differential of +36 in his second season vs. 1.6 points per game and goal differential of -2 for Erik this term).
Revolutionizing a Dortmund side that had lost its lustre, Klopp gave the BVB teeth to bite. In just two seasons, his Dortmund started showing signs of wonderful improvement, going toe to toe with Bayern at every opportunity. Winning back-to-back league titles and then going on to reach the Champions league final is no mean feat. Klopp showed the world yet again what German football was all about. Jupp Heynckes used the same tactic to win the Champions League with Bayern in 2013, completing the famous treble that will be remembered in German lore for years to come.
  • Mikel Arteta was a 37 year old in his very first head coaching job, not a 50+ year old who had been in management for over a decade, and was always going to be someone who needed time to build from the ground up and come to grips with the scale of the task — with a high risk of failure (the fact that he has managed to succeed, in relative terms, is anomalistic). Arsenal were not as patient with Unai Emery (a more experienced manager), on the other hand, so they didn't surmise that every manager deserved time. If we employ a similarly risky strategy and poach a baby coach, like say Carlos Cuesta García from Arsenal, and ask him to be our manager, it would probably make sense to be extremely forgiving with him through the boom-or-bust cycle too — in the hope that he starts delivering on his expected potential in due time.
That being said, if Ratcliffe, Berrada, Brailsford, Blanc, Ashworth are of the opinion that ten Hag needs more time to come good, we would obviously have to get behind the decision (what else can you do, as a supporter of the club?)

Varun1

I remember 15mins of intricate passing in his first season, early on in his reign. I thought that was a sign to come.
Definitely needs replacing, be it Amorin, Nagelsmann or someone else. We need someone with more charisma, who has a plan A & B, and who won't think twice about benching some players.

As an Arsenal supporting mate described him, he is our Rodgers (maybe a slightly better one).

Amsterdam Devil

Get Nagelsman in, a lot of the Bayern players didn’t want to see him go and are still angry at that.

stevoc

While those are definitely issues Ten Hag has had to deal with, most of us are judging him on how this team performs and plays. And most can see the basics just aren't there, we have no structure or discernible style of play after nearly 2 years and £500m+ spent. I could make a case for keeping him if results were bad but it's clear to see it was because he's been implementing a progressive possession based style of play or at least some sort of style of play. But we look completely uncoached and devoid of any sort of defensive structure and often lacking ideas in attack, his ingame management is awful, his eye for a player is clearly questionable and during his tenure we've had multiple disciplinary issues and fallings out with players. That last one isn't all his fault of course but there's been too many issues for anyone to confidently say he hasn't made mistakes with his man management and contributed to it.

We're already pretty much guaranteed to have our worst season in PL history (also had our worst ever CL campaign) and we're also on course for our worst season in general since the 70's. Every manager post SAF has been sacked for less.

It would be madness to keep him.

OleGunnar20

I did a very similar post about a week ago about Amorim who I’ve liked the look of for a while now (link - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/who-replaces-ten-hag.479509/post-31679896). I also think our squad could do with learning a fresh system, they’ve been playing this drab counter attacking 4231 for years now and changing it up might be good for them and spark something.
Very good point. I thought the same thing about ETH mind and was very pro his system at Ajax, then he comes in and crumbles to the same United Way stuff they all do.

I don't know much about Amorims character but hope we'd make it clear at the interview stages that he was coming in to implement his style, not fall into past mistakes.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think we need to go in a totally different direction.

Amorim, Naaglesmann, Ancelotti... someone with a full head of hair.

E-mal

So rather than addressing my questions or points you just want to moan.

Do you have any manager in mind you believe is right for the job? Has all the qualities Ten Hag allegedly lacks?

Can’t point to a single player who has improved? Really? Dalot, Garnacho, Mainoo?

All his signings monumental failures? Martinez? Højlund?

I don’t think you seriously think what you’ve just written too much of a WUM.
The jury is out on Hojlund as the sample size suggest he is more likely to be a miss than a hit. Had a purple patch over 8 games is not good enough sample size.
Martinez has gone backwards and rash this season and even then his height will always be a problem. There is a high chance the next manager will look towards a different type of CB.
Flick, Dezerbi, Naglesmann, Enrique, Inzaghi and Unai Emery are all better managers.
Look, average managers in the EPL have shown to be able to coach teams to play like a team and dominated us with a far inferior team.
Give me a break please

AFC NimbleThumb

I don't necessarily disagree with you. He has shown he is not top class. If you add the awful transfers then there is no other choice.

I just think that if we had a better squad planning prior to him, he would need to a) rely on McT etc and b) he would stay away from recruiting players like Antony.

Ineos should start from him now. The new structure should not include him. He must go.
We don’t disagree mate.

I think there’s lots to do all round but for me keeping EtH after this performance should be unacceptable at a club with our/Ineos’ ambitions.

We can all list the qualities we’d like to see, I’m saying the pretence that people should band around names or not question EtH’s position isn’t ground I have interest going over. My interest, does a manager that loses the games he has in this period deserve to manage this club? The answer for me is no.

Adding a football structure isn’t some magic pill if the manager lacks tactical nouse against the likes of Fulham, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace. Again, we aren’t losing 3-1 to Citeh every week. When we hire key figures above him the pressure will actually ramp up. He’s been given a bit of a free hit this season & still fell short. Name me another manager that’s had the football structure excuse used so regularly? Fulham & Bournemouth both came to Old Trafford with injuries/absences of their own to play us off the pitch.

I can only speak personally. I don’t think sacking EtH in a silo then airdropping any manager in would yield a dramatic upturn in our fortunes, I do believe that a replacement manager using different tactics could have gotten better results out of this bunch but again that’s a low bar because this was never a league winning/challenging squad. I’m saying it’d be closer to Villa is all.

In general I agree with your bullet points. I just think it misses a key 4th, which is that we need to improve in the dugout also. You can still do all the things you list, look at what EtH has done for the past year & look to improve there too.

Who’s asking a manager to come in and single handed my resolve the clubs issues? I think part of your post is pointed at others cause I’m not. There’s a whole lot to change & I’d put the manager near the top of that list.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Motta
Nauglesman
Inzaghi

Prefer Motta over Inzaghi due to 4 at the back, just personal preference, but i really dislike any formation with 3 center backs

brontelicious

There's been zero credible links to Potter. Why are some acting like he's a shoe-in?
Not only are there zero 'credible' links to Potter, there are zero 'credible' links to dismissing the rumour.

In fact, there are zero 'credible' links with anyone replacing ten Hag, or, indeed, his post being threatened.

It's all speculation.

Fallon d'Floor

Motta
Nauglesman
Inzaghi

Prefer Motta over Inzaghi due to 4 at the back, just personal preference, but i really dislike any formation with 3 center backs
3 at the back can be a very good system when done right.

Conte's Juve, Chelsea (1st season) and Inter sides were all good to watch.

Inzaghi's Inter aren't defensive. They play some very good football. He often plays with a midfield three of Mkhirtaryan, Calhanoglu and Barella. No natural DM there. It somehow works.

Alonso has Leverkusen playing some very intrictate stuff with a three at the back system. Grimaldo and Frimpong are outstanding wing backs.

Amorim would be my #1 choice to replace ten Hag.

Last edited: