Who replaces Ten Hag?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
The Athletic’s Mark Critchley is reporting that INEOS are set on careful and slowly appointing best in class people from the top down. Any notion of ten Hag being moved out before the end of the season is incorrect.
They will appoint Berrada, Ashworth, and whoever else first and let them resolve the managers situation - which if it has to happen at all is how it should be.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can we not mention Southgate please ?

Just the hint of that suggestion will bring me out in hives.

Honestly, I would literally rather any manager instead of him.
He’s probably the only suggestion I’ve seen so far where I’d rather just stick with Ten Hag, maybe Thomas Frank too but I don’t think there is much chance of that anyway.

AneRu

Ten Hag should be out and we definitely should have e begun the search for a new manager already. What worries me is that a decision may have been made already but the Potter links refuse to fade away. We will just waste a few seasons of progression on him like we did with Ole and Ten Hag and then find ourselves with the same old problems we had when Mourinho left.

We can't look beyond Amorim, Inzaghi and Motta, in my view. We know Alonso could be a no go for us but we got toake sure we get one of those three. We need a solid structure so that we arent easy to beat or even play through, we need good possession play and I believe those two factors, if achieved, could set us up for sustained progression over the seasons. If we get a manager in that can instill those principles (solid base + good possession) then we can look to use our financial power, once we are out of FFP troubled waters, to increase the quality in the team over the next few seasons.

izec

If De Zerbi doesn’t have the required pedigree then neither does Ten Hag. Both have won a title in a league deemed to not be in the top five divisions. Ten Hag hasn’t proven he’s better than a midtable manager in the Premier League. He has to prove to us that he is good enough, the same way De Zerbi or Potter do.

Edit - De Zerbi has won a Ukrainian super cup, which is apparently their version of a community shield.
I never said ETH is good enough. I think he is a clown. We need to be more ambitious.

He doesn't have a Ukrainian league title.
Even worse, thought he won something meaningful at least.

Varun1

So how do these compare, Amorim v Inzaghi v Motta v Nagelsmann?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Who are the other major/rich clubs that'll be looking/potentially be looking for a new manager this summer? Us, Barcelona, Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle, Bayern? Is a busy time to be wanting someone. I assume Alonso would be nailed on for either Bayern or Liverpool, and as bad as we are we still look a better prospect than Chelsea. Who are Barca likely to go for, Motta? Newcastle would obviously be willing to throw money at anyone but they won't have Champions League at least.

SteveCoppellFan

The only man ever born offside.
He used to annoy the hell out of me, never stayed on his feet, the slightest touch and the swan dive came into effect.

Maybe I was just not used to see players do that all the time back in those days, today everyone is doing it !

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Which ones though? Genuine question.

He doesn't tick the "won a league title" box for starters. Big risk. Not one I'd take.
Aren't Inter currently 15 points clear at the top? If he chokes that, then fair enough.

Chairman Steve

I wouldn’t mind Inzaghi. Getting an Italian team to a Champions League final these days is pretty good going. It’s akin to getting an English team to one in the 90s.

Italian managers strangely have good records in the Premier League which is a complete contrast to Italian players in the Premier League who 90% of the time seem to be ineffective.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Inzaghi ticks all the boxes
He was okay ish at Lazio if I'm not mistaken and killing it this year with Inter. Think he has some more way to go for proving himself. Same goes for the other Serie A coaches.

edit - I take this back. He won a few cups with Lazio and brought them to CL qualification.

With Inter he won the double, some other cups and of course went to the CL final.

Last edited:

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He was okay ish at Lazio if I'm not mistaken and killing it this year with Inter. Think he has some more way to go for proving himself. Same goes for the other Serie A coaches.
Inzaghi is an interesting case. Keep in mind that the main lure for many people on here is quite similar to what drew them toward ETH a few years back: a glamorous CL campaign. What could possibly go wrong, huh?

Anyway, there are pros and cons when it comes to Inzaghi. For once, it has been interesting to see him develop his preferred 352: From a risky high/mid-press with both wingbacks positioned high on the pitch at Lazio with lightning quick transitions that led to both scoring and conceding lots of goals and distinguished him among his (more defensive-minded) peers, to the more controlled, but still more fluid than anything Conte had implemented version of the same formation at Inter which failed to land the Serie A title, and finally, to the more structured yet still flexible (within the frame of positional play) and, in the end, quite pragmatic edition that's going to win him his very first league title.

It is interesting in the sense that he will immediately find himself under enormous pressure at OT, and this is how he has reacted historically when the stakes were high. And the stakes were high because it is expected of him to win the Serie A. With Juventus in disarray and with Inter having the best squad in the country, one could argue that it took him too long to deliver. The big bonus is that he has been constantly adding qualities to his tactics. Layer upon layer, you can see shades of Pep, Bielsa or even Wilder in his ideas. After all, Inter's biggest strength under him is that they seem comfortable with any role: Underdog or superior side, possession or counter-attacks, open games vs more tight affairs etc., they can be competitive either way. The way he wants his midfielders to play (deeper than usual to see more of the ball and dictate the tempo) can be a remedy for our lack of options in receiving the ball on the half-turn in tight spaces between the lines, but it works because the centre-halves offer options in the positional rotations. Options like the ones ETH is being called a madman to try and create. So, good luck with that, if Simone lands the United gig.

bondsname

We're in the same situation as we've been the past 10 years. Appointing a new manager isn't going to solve anything, unless it's Sir Alex Ferguson reincarnated or Pep Guardiola reincarnated, or Klopp. There are no manager of that caliber available. A manager that will improve everyone by just their sheer presence just doesn't exist. We need a manager who is here to stay, the base of the team and TIME to show the players they HAVE to perform, or they're out. No more player-power whining and complaining and getting their boss sacked because they suck and can't be arsed to put some effort in.

What we have to do is to stick with one manager while appointing capable, ambitious people in the administrative positions. Just changing managers won't solve nothing. I think Ten Hag deserves a shot at this in a functional system. Inzaghi, Southgate, Nagelsmann or Tuchel are nothing special. We might as well just stay with Ten Hag for now.

Born2Lose

If you want a park the bus manager who blames everything and everyone but himself you might as well go for the best. Mourinho.

cpresc

What Alonso is doing is just absolutely incredible.

he’s the only manager and happily sack EtH for right now

RedRocket9908

We're in the same situation as we've been the past 10 years. Appointing a new manager isn't going to solve anything
Appointing a new manager might well change a lot of things, we might actually start playing with some proper tactics, an actual game plan, and an identity.

Mr Smith

So how do these compare, Amorim v Inzaghi v Motta v Nagelsmann?
Inzaghi is the best of those four on paper IMO but I think he's unattainable; he has a good thing going at Inter and would be foolish to leave. I also like Motta a lot, but also don't think he'd come here when he basically has the pick of clubs in Italy. I like Nagelsmann a lot and he would probably be my first choice of the four, but at best we're not getting him in until post-WC which is not great. Amirom feels like a big unknown to me, especially having never managed outside of Portugal; if anyone can direct me to an analysis of his quality and management style that'd be great.

Frankly, all options seem to be unattainable or not that inspiring...

daba

Intrigued by Motta as an option. Would require some patience and a lot of work on the squad this summer. If that is the plan, I wonder if we’d be able to get him before the end of the season? I quite like the idea of him and Brailsford etc assessing the squad and identifying who can or cannot be part of our future before the summer begins.

I know with a lot of the options this won’t be possible (eg Nagelsmann, Amorim) but maybe we could with Motta as he / Bologna have nothing tangible to play for (eg winning the league or cups)? It is also may give us a boost to finish the season to grab 5th spot.

tjb

I'll throw Valverde into the mix. Proved his worth at Barcelona with a system that would have been appreciated at other clubs, but wasn't the right for for Barca and Messi, which is understandable. Currently has Athletic playing a good brand of football, employing a high line and pressing, leading to good results with a limited set of players available to him due to Athletic's restrictions.

I also think Tuchel, Nagelsmann, De Zerbi, Alonso, Zidane, Motta and Inzaghi are good options.

Telsim

Intrigued by Motta as an option. Would require some patience and a lot of work on the squad this summer. If that is the plan, I wonder if we’d be able to get him before the end of the season? I quite like the idea of him and Brailsford etc assessing the squad and identifying who can or cannot be part of our future before the summer begins.

I know with a lot of the options this won’t be possible (eg Nagelsmann, Amorim) but maybe we could with Motta as he / Bologna have nothing tangible to play for (eg winning the league or cups)? It is also may give us a boost to finish the season to grab 5th spot.
Bologna are well placed for a Champions League spot, which is incredible for them, but they still have ways to go until the end of the season.

Last edited: