Who replaces Ten Hag?

Varane around town

I'm interested in Potter

With a proper structure and serious football people at the club I think he could succeed. I think it's mad to hold failure at Chelsea against anyone.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Yeh maybe the season after next, but not next season. He wouldn't just sign an extension if he thought the United job was a possibility, he'd have waited. He obviously knows it's not happening for next season for whatever reason so he signed the extension.
It literally just means a better deal for Villa. If we made a move, we'd most likely get him.

sepulturite

It literally just means a better deal for Villa. If we made a move, we'd most likely get him.
I don't agree. If it happened a few months ago maybe, but it's too late now. As I said if he'd thought he had a chance at the United job he wouldn't have signed any extension. Plus United can't afford to pay massive compensation to another club for a manager who's just extended his contract, we're going to struggle with ffp anyway, that would make it a million times worse

RuudTom83

Very few managers could withstand the huge pressure that comes with the United job.

I can’t see a clear candidate who is ready for the role tbh.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It has been well documented that INEOS have a 'best of British' ethos. This makes me nervous in terms of Potter/Southgate getting the nod.

But like someone on here posted previously. I think Marco Silva has the experience, the tactical awareness, and he's young and hungry. He's managed 7 clubs at the age of 46, and I think he has learned and improved a lot. Portuguese as well, so fits in well with the Portuguese/South American players.

I also think we could get him.
That suggests he isn't very good!

BorisManUtd

I'm interested in Potter

With a proper structure and serious football people at the club I think he could succeed. I think it's mad to hold failure at Chelsea against anyone.
I am too and was in 2021 as well but there's always that worry that United job might be too big for him like it was for Moyes. Or as you say with proper structure he could be a success with time as Arteta has been for Arsenal.

INEOS have a big decision to make no doubt. Tuchel seems most logical.

justboy68

I do really like what I've seen from Iraola but don't think the timing is quite right for him yet, at least compared to Tuchel. If Tuchel is off the table then he'd be up there as a potential choice.

OleGunnar20

I'd prefer Iraola or McKenna and a full rebuild to the likes of Tuchel and Potter. But then I thought ETH would do great so what do I know.

Waynne

If its between Potter and Tuchel, then its Tuchel for me. With Wilcox and hopefully Ashworth behind him, we're bound to go places.

Robert

As some have said, there isn't a standout candidate but in this moment I'd lean to Tuchel

Also why does Ancelotti never get a shout? I thought he was on the way out at Madrid and whilst he's not some cutting edge new name he's certainly capable

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Tuchel is the very obvious stand out candidate and is one of the best coaches in the world. Any time a big job opens, he's one of the main guys there. Sometimes you don't need to try and be clever and just go for the guy who is a proven top manager.

LDUred

Tuchel is the very obvious stand out candidate and is one of the best coaches in the world. Any time a big job opens, he's one of the main guys there. Sometimes you don't need to try and be clever and just go for the guy who is a proven top manager.
Which is what we didn't do when appointing Moyes the new manager of a group of league winners.

The rot started then and there, by allowing SAF to be a kingmaker.

Guardiola was available (yes, he agreed to go to Bayern, but we could have acted quicker in that year), so was Ancelotti, as was Mourinho and Klopp.

We chose David Moyes.

IRELANDUNITED

I am too and was in 2021 as well but there's always that worry that United job might be too big for him like it was for Moyes. Or as you say with proper structure he could be a success with time as Arteta has been for Arsenal.

INEOS have a big decision to make no doubt. Tuchel seems most logical.
I must have missed that one? It’s odds on that we will be heading into Arteta’s 6th season with Arsenal and all he has to show for it is 1 (Covid) FA Cup.

I’m not sure on what planet that should be considered a success.

OwlvsFox

Big name should not be the only criteria.
I think it should be a very important criteria if not the only one.

If we look around the globe, massive clubs like us needs big personalities to be successful. Structure and recruitment are important to get right but the manager needs to have something else in him, X factor, he is missing that from what I have seen so far.

I sometimes look at ETH and think even if he is a good coach, he lacks that character that a club like ours need.

The only thing keeping ETH in a role is lack of options out there else if we are honest and tomorrow Klopp or Pep or Carlo A were available, we won't even think twice before replacing him.

gajender

I must have missed that one? It’s odds on that we will be heading into Arteta’s 6th season with Arsenal and all he has to show for it is 1 (Covid) FA Cup.

I’m not sure on what planet that should be considered a success.
Initially I didn't Arteta but even as a staunch detractor you simply can't ignore the stellar work he has done with Arsenal it may not reflect in terms of trophies yet but with Arsenal challenging for the title second season running he definitely has been a Success for Arsenal .

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He’s my top choice. Under a good structure I think he got what it takes to be totally elite. I’d much rather him than the big and uninspiring names that are been banded around. Bournemouth players know what they are doing.
He also seems like a decent guy from post match interviews. Never spikey, very good communicator for his second language too.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’d prioritize a manager that can also set up a solid defensive shape.
Great so back to square one again and no closer to catching city. We need to keep pursuing attacking/dominant football because while defensive shape will help us get results short term, it’s all about building a dominant team to win leagues long term.

Chairman Steve

If Berrada is having a significant say on who’s going to be manager, with his backgrounds of City and Barcelona, I don’t think Southgate would even cross his mind.

Look at how good Julen Lopetegui worked out for Real Madrid, who hired him based on his Spain record.

I still think Southgate’s team is angling for an extension with England since it’s running out this year and these United links are piggybacking off our hierarchy changes. He’ll get it if he reaches the semi finals at minimum and doesn’t get knocked out in an embarrassing fashion by a team.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
At the moment no one, Just let Ashworth confirmed and have time to asses the cub the squad and then formulate a plan.

For my money id like pretty much united to be in a holding pattern for the next 12 months with no big signings until we actually have a structure and plan in place to start making informed decisions.

black country red

At the moment no one, Just let Ashworth confirmed and have time to asses the cub the squad and then formulate a plan.

For my money id like pretty much united to be in a holding pattern for the next 12 months with no big signings until we actually have a structure and plan in place to start making informed decisions.
So quiet happy with a season wasted and slipping further down the pecking order

aganley

So quiet happy with a season wasted and slipping further down the pecking order
More like giving the manager a proper structure to work with while they access him, its difficult to make a decision when they are not likely to be in their prospective roles until nearly the close of the transfer window.

TheGame

After Naglesmann was sewn up by Germany, I can't see any other stand out candidate in the field other than Tuchel.

Scriblerus

I think Potter is difficult to judge. He turned Brighton into a slick and well organised outfit. Was his failure at Chelsea down to not managing the pressure, or the massive issues caused by Boehly's mass clearcut and and scattergun purchasing that would have defied anyone to turn them into a team from a standing start? Southgate doesn't inspire me at all - 3 seasons of club management getting poor results out of a poor team is no track record on which to appoint, and international coaching is a very different job. Tuchel has a much better record, but is he the right fit for what 'the project' sees as our playing style?

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I don't think it makes a difference that there's no obvious choice out there. Ten Hag was the obvious choice and nearly unanimously wanted by the fanbase and I'd argue at the time that that was correct. With the benefit of hindsight it turns out it wasn't right after all.

An obvious contender for the job doesn't mean he's the right choice, and no obvious choice doesn't mean there's no right man for the job. I just don't buy that anymore.

davidmichael

As some have said, there isn't a standout candidate but in this moment I'd lean to Tuchel

Also why does Ancelotti never get a shout? I thought he was on the way out at Madrid and whilst he's not some cutting edge new name he's certainly capable
Lots of people including myself have mentioned Ancelotti but it looked like he was going to take the Brazil job as his contract was expiring this coming summer but he signed an extension to 2026, for me he was the standout choice as he’s up there with Guardiola and Klopp and a serial winner that’s worked with THE biggest names in football over the past 20 years.

Melville Red

I think it should be a very important criteria if not the only one.

If we look around the globe, massive clubs like us needs big personalities to be successful. Structure and recruitment are important to get right but the manager needs to have something else in him, X factor, he is missing that from what I have seen so far.

I sometimes look at ETH and think even if he is a good coach, he lacks that character that a club like ours need.

The only thing keeping ETH in a role is lack of options out there else if we are honest and tomorrow Klopp or Pep or Carlo A were available, we won't even think twice before replacing him.
Let’s bring back big Ron then, how old is he now?:houllier:

Seriously though with the right men in the boardroom I can think of no one better than McKenna, especially if he gets Ipswich up. I’d like to see him in the PL and if Hag is still making a balls of it come Christmas then go for our old under 18’s coach who has learned proper management and how to get the best out of a small squad.
Fed up to the back teeth of these foreign managers.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I don't think it makes a difference that there's no obvious choice out there. Ten Hag was the obvious choice and nearly unanimously wanted by the fanbase and I'd argue at the time that that was correct. With the benefit of hindsight it turns out it wasn't right after all.

An obvious contender for the job doesn't mean he's the right choice, and no obvious choice doesn't mean there's no right man for the job. I just don't buy that anymore.
Agreed. Maybe for once we should actually put the work in and cast a wide net for interview, rather than just go straight to the person with the most impressive trophy section on wikipedia available.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I thought we did that when selecting Eric.
We interviewed him and Poch, from memory.

I also still don't have a problem with us appointing ten Hag, from what we knew at the time it was a good choice. Though the warning signs were there in the aftermath when the stuff about "evolution not revolution" started coming out.