Who replaces Ten Hag?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
McKenna is interesting but this move comes a bit too early imo. Let him ein something big first and that he has experience in the PL as well as handling big players. Fergie was like that too

NoPace

McKenna is interesting but this move comes a bit too early imo. Let him ein something big first and that he has experience in the PL as well as handling big players. Fergie was like that too
I'm not sure we'll really have too many "big players" after not making the CL and needing to focus on signing younger players for a massive rebuild. Like in terms of egos we're talking, what, maybe Garnacho, Rashford, and Bruno and Maguire and Maguire is pretty much cooked unless we play a deep line and Bruno will likely run his ass off (good) like a headless animal (bad) whether we hire Guardiola or Bruno's childhood bully. I don't really get the vibe from say Hojlund, Lisandro, Mainoo or Antony as being big egos. We don't have Bayern's squad or a post-Mourinho Chelsea team of quality but aging veterans who can still compete as they decline.

Steve 007

I’m in two minds. I know I want Ten Haag out after his entertaining football comments yesterday. Half of me is saying this squad qualified for the Champions league last season and were tipped to challenge and have three potential superstar youngsters. The other half is like sell MCT, Erickson, Rashford, Maguire, Anthony, Lindelof, Casimeiro, let Varane and Martial go and start again. It’s probably going to take 4 years to challenge no matter who comes in. Look at Chelsea though. They bought all these young players and are only now showing some slight potential. Too many players brought in/out and it’ll be impossible to gel.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I weirdly like the idea of Potter. Think he would get us playing good football even if the final league position isn’t high, which will be enough to get the fans on board.

The-Mezzala

I'm sorry but thinking Eddie Howe will leave Newcastle and join us is a bit daft. You're not going to join a club in turmoil whilst you're yet to see the fruits of your labour.
I kno
I'm sorry but thinking Eddie Howe will leave Newcastle and join us is a bit daft. You're not going to join a club in turmoil whilst you're yet to see the fruits of your labour.

I personally think the Newcastle projects wont last. The city one had a massive advantage as FFp was not a thing and they could basically do what they wanted. If Newcastle don’t make Champions league next season they will soon get bored. But heard Howe and Ashworth have had some needle so that rules that one out. I still think we are 10 x the club newcastle are probably ever will be. So could take their manager if we wanted. Don't think thats a very daft thing to say.

Last edited:

The-Mezzala

Considering we're looking to bring in Ashworth, whom he didn't exactly seem to be getting along with at Newcastle, I imagine this is highly unlikely.
I didn’t realise but just googled it.Motta is my personal first choice, but he is likely going to Juventus. Looks like it will be Tuchel. Not my personal preference but at this stage anyone who can set a team up properly and stop conceding late goals is an upgrade in my book. Te Hag has lost the plot this season. Biggest let down for me. Really thought he was going to so well here

Last edited:

DSG

Fair point. He could become our (new) LvG in the manager who completely revamps the playing style and puts something in place that will last years. My issue with him is that I don’t know how well he will deal with people and the upper managment as he’s always picking fights. And United will the toughest job he’s taken up in terms of stature combined with problems.

This is what we need regardless. We should take a lot of lessons from what Arsenal have done and not constantly seek shortcuts. If McKenna has huge potential I wouldn’t mind us hiring him but it really depends on how highly we rate the coach and man. From what I recall, our youth teams played some incredible stuff under him and he was very highly regarded even then. If he indeed has such big potential, I don’t see it as that crazy a risk as long as we give him power (not in the market but in the dressing room).
People keep talking about how great Arteta is and how we should follow that model. Yes, they went after young and hungry players. They made some good buys. But honestly, the reason Arsenal is a good team, or great team, is the emergence of Saka and the integration of Odegaard. Those two transformed the side.

For Tuchel, or any new manager, they will definitely need to deal with the weaknesses of whoever fills the spot.

C'est Moi Cantona

I weirdly like the idea of Potter. Think he would get us playing good football even if the final league position isn’t high, which will be enough to get the fans on board.
I don't see how those two things can go hand in hand at a club like United, if we finish 5 th or 6th then by definition we'll have lost a lot of games, which is unlikely to get many fans on board even if we do play decent football at times.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I don't see how those two things can go hand in hand at a club like United, if we finish 5 th or 6th then by definition we'll have lost a lot of games, which is unlikely to get many fans on board even if we do play decent football at times.
I think it would be different if we were really entertaining. I’m also talking about the first year.

C'est Moi Cantona

I think it would be different if we were really entertaining. I’m also talking about the first year.
Ten Hag did really well in first year, and has had a nightmare with injuries this year, plus alot crap going on around the club, but tbf to him overall in 2 seasons to have made 3 finals, got CL, beaten all the top clubs, and slayed Klopp's final season, then it's hardly been a disaster. Yet people can't wait for him to go, my point is that patience wears very thin very quickly at the top clubs when you lose games.

For me Potter would be a disaster, I just don't see he how he has the personality for a top club.

IncyWincySpider

It looks as though it will either be Tuchel or Potter. Think I’d prefer Tuchel but I’d be happy with either. I wouldn’t judge either of them harshly for their Chelsea stints.

Delano

It looks as though it will either be Tuchel or Potter. Think I’d prefer Tuchel but I’d be happy with either. I wouldn’t judge either of them harshly for their Chelsea stints.
I think you can. The personality Tuchel showed when guiding them through the restrictions was really impressive.

He showed that he had the personality to galvanise a club and wasn't overwhelmed by a really unique situation.

Potter showed; in his limited time, that he didn't have the personality or charisma for the job. Yes, he can get better, but the level of scrutinity at United is 10x that of Chelsea.

Infra-red

With top 4 now mathematically impossible (and the 5th place CL places going to Italy and Germany), I wonder if things may start to speed up regarding EtH's replacement.

It is shaping up to be United's worst season of the Premier League era - it is unthinkable that the manager would remain in place in such circumstances.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The fact that Southgate is still no1 favorite worries me a lot. What bookies know which we don't?

lsd

The Oracle
Ten Hag did really well in first year, and has had a nightmare with injuries this year, plus alot crap going on around the club, but tbf to him overall in 2 seasons to have made 3 finals, got CL, beaten all the top clubs, and slayed Klopp's final season, then it's hardly been a disaster. Yet people can't wait for him to go, my point is that patience wears very thin very quickly at the top clubs when you lose games.

For me Potter would be a disaster, I just don't see he how he has the personality for a top club.

He didn't do really well he got carried by Rashford's wonder form

Lee565

The fact that Southgate is still no1 favorite worries me a lot. What bookies know which we don't?
I have come around to it slightly based on his man management where he has created a very good atmosphere in the England camp, he has shown he can handle High pressure role, he seems to put a big emphasis on a player's character which is something our club has lacked a lot when signing players, he values hard working players and does protect players well and not throw them under the bus.

He does have negatives like tactics but I'm trying to few the positives, I can't imagine him being a epl winning manager but I don't think we would see the negative drama around the side like we have in recent years and could imagine English players interested in playing for him.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Why is no one talking about flick ?
Watch the Amazon documentary about Germany at the World Cup under him. Once you did that you'll feel stupid for asking that question.

What you will see is a complete car crash of a managerial performance

AfonsoAlves

Maybe we should go for an approach where the long term tactical play is defined and implemented by the DOF/Technical Directors and the Manager's role is to basically own/control the dressing room, man management, dealing with issues and in-game management.

That way when/if we fire somebody we don't have to care about bringing in someone who wants to completely shift the playing paradigm.

Seaside Aggro

Hear me out:
Manager that knows the league
Can get a team to over perform
Has won silverware
Still young enough to have some fire
Plays decent football but is tactically flexible

Marco Silva.

Devred

Can somebody tell me why there isn't a bigger conversation about Ruben Amorin in this forum?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Can somebody tell me why there isn't a bigger conversation about Ruben Amorin in this forum?
Because until a few weeks ago the vast majority of the CAF had never heard of him, me included!

Last edited:

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I think you can. The personality Tuchel showed when guiding them through the restrictions was really impressive.

He showed that he had the personality to galvanise a club and wasn't overwhelmed by a really unique situation.

Potter showed; in his limited time, that he didn't have the personality or charisma for the job. Yes, he can get better, but the level of scrutinity at United is 10x that of Chelsea.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it was Lampard that was manager during the transfer restrictions, not Tuchel.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'd keep an eye on Iraola next season. Shown to be adaptable, style of play that's more United like, young n learnin'.

He's also from the same neck of the woods that seems to produce good managers.

davidmichael

Maybe we should go for an approach where the long term tactical play is defined and implemented by the DOF/Technical Directors and the Manager's role is to basically own/control the dressing room, man management, dealing with issues and in-game management.

That way when/if we fire somebody we don't have to care about bringing in someone who wants to completely shift the playing paradigm.
That’s exactly what Ratcliffe said in his interview after he was officially on board and he wants to go with a head coach model rather than a manager, the footballing structure (Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox and Williams) will decide on how we play and our incoming signings whilst the head coach would train the squad and select the team and provide in game management.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Of the names that keep being mentioned:
- Tuchel would be excellent
- I'd be open to Potter
- PLEASE NOT Southgate!!

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
It does when it comes to next season, the season after maybe there's a chance, but even then I don't think so.
Nah, the only difference is the amount of compensation we'd need to pay Villa.

If we came knocking with a three/four year contract, he'd jump.

LeeroyBrown22

Can’t post videos but I’ll be amazed if it isn’t Tuchel after seeing that bein sports video.
Keys drops big Pete in it and are pissing themselves for being in on it.

soapythecat

I'd keep an eye on Iraola next season. Shown to be adaptable, style of play that's more United like, young n learnin'.

He's also from the same neck of the woods that seems to produce good managers.
He’s my top choice. Under a good structure I think he got what it takes to be totally elite. I’d much rather him than the big and uninspiring names that are been banded around. Bournemouth players know what they are doing.

Wheato

It has been well documented that INEOS have a 'best of British' ethos. This makes me nervous in terms of Potter/Southgate getting the nod.

But like someone on here posted previously. I think Marco Silva has the experience, the tactical awareness, and he's young and hungry. He's managed 7 clubs at the age of 46, and I think he has learned and improved a lot. Portuguese as well, so fits in well with the Portuguese/South American players.

I also think we could get him.

sepulturite

Nah, the only difference is the amount of compensation we'd need to pay Villa.

If we came knocking with a three/four year contract, he'd jump.
Yeh maybe the season after next, but not next season. He wouldn't just sign an extension if he thought the United job was a possibility, he'd have waited. He obviously knows it's not happening for next season for whatever reason so he signed the extension.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It has been well documented that INEOS have a 'best of British' ethos. This makes me nervous in terms of Potter/Southgate getting the nod.

But like someone on here posted previously. I think Marco Silva has the experience, the tactical awareness, and he's young and hungry. He's managed 7 clubs at the age of 46, and I think he has learned and improved a lot. Portuguese as well, so fits in well with the Portuguese/South American players.

If you are looking at Marco Silva then, for me, you would have to consider the likes of Iraola and Gary O'Neil. They've not managed as many teams as Silva, but they've been impressive this season.

Suv666

he got sacked by Everton a year and a half in