Who replaces Ten Hag?

gaffs

I hope we can land Tuchel (provided he knows his remit is to coach and not to dictate transfer strategy).

A tactically flexible no-BS coach, who has won major trophies, and is an intimidating, fiery character.

Sign me up.
Yet, he seems to have a two year shelf life at every club he manages.

Wheato

im done with this club if we get Tuchel
Although, I do have reservations about the frequency in which Tuchel gets sacked. I'm fairly certain he wouldn't be playing a whole season with 6 players pressing, and the other 5 in a low block, so that even Newport county were able to play through us and have 17 shots on our goal. We've just played 3 championship sides and only beat one of them in open play. And they were ahead twice.

This Ten Hag experiment has been nothing short of a disaster. He calls it entertaining and dynamic. It's more like watching a toddler crossing a motorway.

Mr Smith

Thomas Tuchel

Sacked by Dortmund
Sacked by PSG
Sacked by Chelsea
Sacked by Bayern Munich
All managers are sacked eventually, and a lot of those sackings are not his fault:

Dortmund: fell out with the owners because they sold his three best players in one summer and didn't replace them; not results based.

PSG: Probably deservedly sacked with them trailing second in a league they're expected to win every year, but before that won the league and made a CL final, which no PSG manager achieved before or since.

Chelsea: I don't understand anyone who thinks this sacking was his fault. Won the CL when Chelsea were a huge underdog, they next season had to deal with the ownership changeover when Abramovic was sanctioned, and then sacked by Bohley at the first opportunity. What has followed is Chelsea's worst two years in the past two decades.

Bayern: hasn't actually been sacked yet, could still win the CL, and lost tye league to a record-breaking side, with the same points per game average that won the league the three previous seasons.

There are legitimate reasons to be cautious about Tuchel, but "sacked everywhere he's been" is really not one of them. You know who else has been sacked by Bayern, PSG abd Chelsea? Carlo Ancelotti.

gaffs

I'm not sure I get the hype. Seems a lot like ETH from 2 years ago. Strong performance in a smaller league, good european run, big reputation. Maybe I'm missing something.
On paper, experience may be similar.

Very different personality to Ten Hag, which is key. Ten Hag has clashed with our players since day one. The new manager is going to have a fine line to walk - he will have to get rid of some of the dead wood, integrate new players whilst also keep on side current players who may not be in the long term plans.

From all accounts, Amorim's players love him and run through brick walls for him. He is charming, charismatic and good with the media.

Ten Hag would make a glass eye fall asleep.

RoyH1

I hope we can land Tuchel (provided he knows his remit is to coach and not to dictate transfer strategy).

A tactically flexible no-BS coach, who has won major trophies, and is an intimidating, fiery character.

Sign me up.
And speaks decent English which is always a bit plus. I cannot see a better candidate available right now for us.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
So quiet happy with a season wasted and slipping further down the pecking order
If it means not making quick decisions and atcually formulating a plan to move back up the pecking order. Yep 100% ok with wasting a season getting a structure in place.
We’ve spent over a decade throwing more money down the toilet than any club in the history of any sport. The idea of us going into a summer changing managers and spending money without the revamp of the club being complete makes me a lot more scared than wasting a season.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
On paper, experience may be similar.

Very different personality to Ten Hag, which is key. Ten Hag has clashed with our players since day one. The new manager is going to have a fine line to walk - he will have to get rid of some of the dead wood, integrate new players whilst also keep on side current players who may not be in the long term plans.

From all accounts, Amorim's players love him and run through brick walls for him. He is charming, charismatic and good with the media.

Ten Hag would make a glass eye fall asleep.
Honestly I don't know much about Amorim, but if you look at comments from ETH's former players and even ones that are now with him at United, they say the same thing. Antony and Onana have spoken of their dedication and admiration of ETH. I actually like ETH's personality - he's a straight talker and doesn't tolerate much BS with the media - that's good.

I'm not saying Amorim wouldn't be a good fit, I don't know enough about him. I guess I am wondering if it's worth the risk of sacking ETH to replace him with Amorim. I would give ETH another season.

gaffs

Honestly I don't know much about Amorim, but if you look at comments from ETH's former players and even ones that are now with him at United, they say the same thing. Antony and Onana have spoken of their dedication and admiration of ETH. I actually like ETH's personality - he's a straight talker and doesn't tolerate much BS with the media - that's good.

I'm not saying Amorim wouldn't be a good fit, I don't know enough about him. I guess I am wondering if it's worth the risk of sacking ETH to replace him with Amorim. I would give ETH another season.
I think you can see what the United players think of ETH from this years performances and the lack of respect shown. Be it from Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford or recently from Garnacho linking that tweet.

I think ETH is far from a straight talker. He is moving into the realms of delusion of late...

https://www.goal.com/en-us/lists/ba...it-anything-but-dignified/bltfce5fc4ae813300d

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Two years ago ten hag was the overwhelming popular choice on red cafe that hasn’t worked out very well hope the next choice is a boring safe pair of hands not some of the left field hipster choices some people rattle out on here
Which leads to the obvious conclusion that either the Caf knew nothing then. Or the Caf knows nothing now. Or both?

Teja

Why are some people so against Tuchel look how organised and controlled they are against Real Madrid, they are very antithesis of EtH side
People over index on things like "will he get along with so and so" or make shallow comparisons like Tuchel's past it just as Jose was without understanding any of the context around how football changed to make Jose a dinosaur. He's an excellent coach and he's the best option out there if we're replacing Ten Hag. For me, there's some element of truth to him not getting along with the club's execs but all of these clubs were as successful as they could be under Tuchel. (BVB went to shit after him, PSG never did win the CL or make it to the finals for that matter, Chelsea went straight down the shitter after they sacked him and Bayern probably will too if they replace him with Ralf).

Let's get him, be successful first and then sack him if it comes to it. As long as the squad is setup for the replacement to come in and take over and keep us successful after he leaves, I don't see a problem.

Last edited:

Reiver

At this point, I'd be prepared to roll the dice on managers who seem a lot riskier than Tuchel if it meant getting rid of EtH.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If we don't go for high risk high reward like McKenna, might as well go with a proven one in Tuchel. Kinda impressed with how Chelsea fared under him. And we faced Bayern this season, you can see how Bayern played like a well coached team with players one-two play and constant movement.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Which leads to the obvious conclusion that either the Caf knew nothing then. Or the Caf knows nothing now. Or both?
To be fair the Ten Hag that all of us thought we were getting clearly didn't arrive, that much was evident when he quickly said he wasn't trying to play how he did at Ajax (still one of the strangest things I've heard a manager say since... you know.... he was hired off the back of the football he played at Ajax).

But yes I think the bigger lesson is that A.) Don't put a ton of stock in weaker league results and B.) Hiring a manager is somewhat of a crap shoot.

Gator Nate

Now Do Carlo Ancelotti please
Fired from Parma
Fired from Juventus
Fired from Chelsea
Fired from Real Madrid
Fired from Bayern Munich
Fired from Napoli

Almost every manager wears out his welcome or doesn't meet the expectations of his board at some point.

glazed

To be fair the Ten Hag that all of us thought we were getting clearly didn't arrive, that much was evident when he quickly said he wasn't trying to play how he did at Ajax (still one of the strangest things I've heard a manager say since... you know.... he was hired off the back of the football he played at Ajax).

But yes I think the bigger lesson is that A.) Don't put a ton of stock in weaker league results and B.) Hiring a manager is somewhat of a crap shoot.
I assume he can't play like at Ajax because he doesn't have the right players in the Frankenstein squad. He's spent this season trying to bridge the gap and failed miserably. But does that prove he's a bad coach? Or just bad at getting coaching Harry Maguire to turn faster than an oil tanker? Can't really be done.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I assume he can't play like at Ajax because he doesn't have the right players in the Frankenstein squad. He's spent this season trying to bridge the gap and failed miserably. But does that prove he's a bad coach? Or just bad at getting coaching Harry Maguire to turn faster than an oil tanker? Can't really be done.
I think he contributed to the Frankenstein squad/tactics himself by who he brought in off the market. Now you can argue he shouldn’t have to designate transfer targets but the fact is he had the power and chose to use it on a hodgepodge of players with all contrasting styles. But regardless, what makes him a bad coach is that he’s refused to make any sort of larger adjustments throughout the course of the year. Any half decent football fan could have told you that the hybrid pressing/man marked midfield/deep line shit isn’t going to work after a month into the year, yet we still persist in May with the same tactical setup. Even still, I think many would have more patience if it had been shown that with everyone available we were electric to watch. But instead no matter who we’ve fielded in starting XI pretty much every game is a similar cycle.

DSG

Why is he asking Maguire and others to do things they can’t do? Why isn’t he setting us up in a way that gives us the best chance at a result?

Smores

It makes him bad at getting points which is his main job. Unless we told him he could sacrifice top 4 to train a system for long term benefit, doubtful, and I'd question which players have even shown signs of having learnt such a system.

glazed

Why is he asking Maguire and others to do things they can’t do? Why isn’t he setting us up in a way that gives us the best chance at a result?
Because he's trying to transition to a new system without getting panned every game. Sure he could stick to pure deep sitting counter attack till he has the right players in but is that really such a good idea?

Rista

Because he's trying to transition to a new system without getting panned every game. Sure he could stick to pure deep sitting counter attack till he has the right players in but is that really such a good idea?
Seems like a much better idea than persisting with a system that clearly doesn't work with the players he has and it's very questionable if it ever will. What is even the point of forcing that system on current players when we supposedly need to replace half the team? Throwing a season for that seems like absolute madness.

DSG

If it results in an extra 80-100m in revenue to continue squad transformation, then yes.

The defenders are sitting deep anyhow, that’s why we have huge gaps between midfield and defense. Have you watched us play this season?

glazed

If it results in an extra 80-100m in revenue to continue squad transformation, then yes.

The defenders are sitting deep anyhow, that’s why we have huge gaps between midfield and defense. Have you watched us play this season?
Yeah that's the dilemma isn't it. If you don't try to transition then you don't get anywhere. It's a painful public process that feels pretty shite. It's better to do it faster if you have the money but FFP makes that impossible. We've just made it even worse with some bad signings. We've also had too many injuries which you might say was unlucky but it's probably got a deeper root cause.

DSG

Yeah that's the dilemma isn't it. If you don't try to transition then you don't get anywhere. It's a painful public process that feels pretty shite. It's better to do it faster if you have the money but FFP makes that impossible. We've just made it even worse with some bad signings. We've also had too many injuries which you might say was unlucky but it's probably got a deeper root cause.
Not really. There is a narrative that you have to bottom out and can’t make tactical transitions on the fly. Ten Hag achieved 3rd last season while transitioning but has been really stubborn with his tactics despite poor results.

Real, Bayern, Barca, PSG achieve transitions in both philosophy and squad while contending. The fact that an inferior Villa side is sitting in 4th while we are 13pts behind is horrendous. Given 1.4b was spent on our squad, I expect a competent manager to at least challenge for 4th while undergoing the transition.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just gonna throw it out here, Conte is a name not talked about. He’s not not got a club so presuming he’s over his surgery he’s available.

high win % everywhere and good goal difference

downside he’s a maniac who will give 2-3 seasons before falling out with someone above him

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Conte gives me Mourinho vibes. He does have a fairly decent transfer record, though. Obviously some misses, but bought generally well at Spurs (Porro, Romero, Udogie, Richarlison, Bissouma, Bentancur, Kulusevski) which helped them quite a bit.

For all the talk of coaching and tactics, it is recruitment that we have really failed at in the last 10 years or so.

RatPack

Because no one wants to see United park the bus at home against Burnley and others and hope for a 1-0.

And this is the only way Mcguire, AWB, Jones, Lindelof can play and also the way where Bruno and Rasford are strongest.

Crimson King

Just gonna throw it out here, Conte is a name not talked about. He’s not not got a club so presuming he’s over his surgery he’s available.

high win % everywhere and good goal difference

downside he’s a maniac who will give 2-3 seasons before falling out with someone above him
The man gets too homesick for Italy. If he felt that way in London then he'll feel it even more living in Manchester.

glazed

Not really. There is a narrative that you have to bottom out and can’t make tactical transitions on the fly. Ten Hag achieved 3rd last season while transitioning but has been really stubborn with his tactics despite poor results.

Real, Bayern, Barca, PSG achieve transitions in both philosophy and squad while contending. The fact that an inferior Villa side is sitting in 4th while we are 13pts behind is horrendous. Given 1.4b was spent on our squad, I expect a competent manager to at least challenge for 4th while undergoing the transition.
Think that's a bit of a myth. He relied on Casemiro and Varane and Erikson - not new broom purchases but short term Frankenstein fixes who are now next to useless. The problem isn't the spend, it's how it was spent. Good players become bad players in a Frankenstein squad. Look at Sancho last night.