Who replaces Ten Hag?

Lee565

But on the plus side he is the only manager naive enough to buy Antony back off us or loan him without us having to pay his wages when ten hag joins a new team.

On the replacement subject, I would take 100% take ange, I've seen enough personality wise to him probably being the closest in teems of personality to klopp, and enjoy the football he plays at spurs of if you score 4 we will score 5 which use to be our mentality under fergie I can not see him bowing to anybody at the club trying to influence his style of play

spwd

But on the plus side he is the only manager naive enough to buy Antony back off us or loan him without us having to pay his wages when ten hag joins a new team.

On the replacement subject, I would take 100% take ange, I've seen enough personality wise to him probably being the closest in teems of personality to klopp, and enjoy the football he plays at spurs of if you score 4 we will score 5 which use to be our mentality under fergie I can not see him bowing to anybody at the club trying to influence his style of play
Sir Jim won't be worried about 10m. He's not going to spend all that money to bring in Ashworth, Berrada etc then worry about that.

spwd

The same way Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole struggled to get the players they really wanted ETH has had the same struggles.

We all know the total structure has to be correct and it's on the way to getting to where it needs to be with the ongoing and recent appointments.

With the new structure ETHs black book of players won't be relied on anymore. It should deliver top players or players with top potential from a global operation feeding it.

If that happens and Ten Hag is brought more players of a Martinez or Hojlund calibre then why wouldn't we want Ten Hag in place? Given the circumstances that no other manager has had to deal with, he's done ok.

He has chosen to defend deep when Evans, Maguire and Varane play. When he has centrebacks that are capable of defending a high line, he will. He's pragmatic and disciplined enough to have this interim strategy and I'm all for it. There's no point playing a higher line with Evans and Maguire playing just to appease forum posters and fans.

He's doing the right thing until we have the players capable of playing the more progressive system. Until then it's sit deep and counter. This isn't his final version.
Really?

redcucumber

The same way Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole struggled to get the players they really wanted ETH has had the same struggles.

We all know the total structure has to be correct and it's on the way to getting to where it needs to be with the ongoing and recent appointments.

With the new structure ETHs black book of players won't be relied on anymore. It should deliver top players or players with top potential from a global operation feeding it.

If that happens and Ten Hag is brought more players of a Martinez or Hojlund calibre then why wouldn't we want Ten Hag in place? Given the circumstances that no other manager has had to deal with, he's done ok.

He has chosen to defend deep when Evans, Maguire and Varane play. When he has centrebacks that are capable of defending a high line, he will. He's pragmatic and disciplined enough to have this interim strategy and I'm all for it. There's no point playing a higher line with Evans and Maguire playing just to appease forum posters and fans.

He's doing the right thing until we have the players capable of playing the more progressive system. Until then it's sit deep and counter. This isn't his final version.
Oh give over. Klopp and Ange were able to implement some semblance of an identity in far less time (and less money spent) than ten Hag. This idea that you need at least 3 years and 20 signings to introduce a 'progressive' system is absolute bollox.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
What’s this Porto manager like then? Seems to be highly rated from the piece in the guardian

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Who picks the players? Not ten Hag. Its a consortium decision involving scouts and the DOF aswell as the manager

And do we allow him to continue with his vision of making us the best transition team?
The style of play is again determined between the manager and the hierarchy. Not necessarily bad idea though if we can shape the squad to suite.

Will he be allowed to sign players who are limited on the ball like Casemiro when we are already terrible in the buildup phase? He didn’t pick Case, he wanted Frenkie. This is well known. He might not have vetoed the signing but that doesn’t make him ‘his’ player either. Again target should be agreed well ahead of the window between dof and manager.
Honestly it doesn’t feel like he’s earned another year
he’s not done with this one yet. Let’s judge in May when the new hierarchy start work.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Just get Conte, Amorim or any other manager available who builds his teams to counter attack. Thats best suited to our players.

ayushreddevil9

I thought counter attack was beneath United and we have to boss games?!
Yes but we cant boss games when your senior players can't keep possession for more than 2 seconds and who cant make simple passes.

The-Mezzala

I like Thiago Motta . But not sure we have the players for his system. But he is doing great things this season. Interesting choice

AneRu

Yes but we cant boss games when your senior players can't keep possession for more than 2 seconds and who cant make simple passes.
Well you bring in players who can, counter attack is good and under Fergie and Ole it was pretty effective but the difference was that the former did have it but he was able to control games when needed and win ugly when needed. Ole did well in his first two seasons but got a few things wrong going into the third one.

So you can't determine the direction of a whole club on the strengths of 3 players. There is a reason we are never challenging for titles, we play to the strengths of a few players then we have just one or two players scoring more than 20 per season and then compare that against City's and Liverpool's teams, they spread their goals amongst 3 or 4 attackers.

ayushreddevil9

Well you bring in players who can, counter attack is good and under Fergie and Ole it was pretty effective but the difference was that the former did have it but he was able to control games when needed and win ugly when needed. Ole did well in his first two seasons but got a few things wrong going into the third one.

So you can't determine the direction of a whole club on the strengths of 3 players. There is a reason we are never challenging for titles, we play to the strengths of a few players then we have just one or two players scoring more than 20 per season and then compare that against City's and Liverpool's teams, they spread their goals amongst 3 or 4 attackers.
I think football has evolved enough, atleast top sides in EPL to show that counter attack cant take you to the highest levels. Used to work back in the day, Conte won the league with Chelsea, Mourinho did and so did Leicester. But lately its just not working.

Based on the reports, it seems that ETH is on his way during the summer and these players survive yet another manager so its better to just get a manager that suits these. Its clear we aren't going to move these away until they retire. Atleast low expectations would yield better mental health for fans and maybe the players as the results will improve if we play to their strengths.

AneRu

I think football has evolved enough, atleast top sides in EPL to show that counter attack cant take you to the highest levels. Used to work back in the day, Conte won the league with Chelsea, Mourinho did and so did Leicester. But lately its just not working.

Based on the reports, it seems that ETH is on his way during the summer and these players survive yet another manager so its better to just get a manager that suits these. Its clear we aren't going to move these away until they retire. Atleast low expectations would yield better mental health for fans and maybe the players as the results will improve if we play to their strengths.
And be subjected to another 8 or so years of Rashford's boom and bust form killing our progression every other season? We have to remember that it's no longer the Glazers calling the shots it's INEOS and guys like Berrada and Ashworth would have seen, from outside, how damaging these guys can be. Don't be shocked if we accept a bid for Rashford in the summer or allow a manager to freeze him out next season.

What killed Ten Hag or will eventually do so is his tactical ineptitude and naivety, poor in-game management and abysmal recruitment. When we went into last season under-prepared and Rashford hit a purple patch, Ten Hag postponed team progression and exploited that form to achieve the minimum which allowed him to survive his first season. You can't play a risky style as he does with turnover magnets like Rashford and Bruno in the team. If we want to properly rebuild we need to move on from them, yes they can win you games to fight to CL football but their joint lack of intellect, tactical discipline and, in Rashford's case, commitment will drag any team down. Watched Liverpool v City, we will never have players calm and disciplined enough to fight off City like Liverpool did or remain collected during the second half Liverpool onslaught, I know we earned a point there a few weeks back, but I am sure you understand what I mean.

Red Regista

Ancelotti, Simeone, Xavi - all managers who have won La Liga, which seems to be the only league coming close to the PL.
We need someone who has won things and who can put our divas into their places.

Ange looks good for Spurs, but hasn't won anything in a top league in his career.
Inzaghi looks amazing for Inter, but Serie A has become a bit of a plumber's league over the years, Juve and Milan (2nd and 3rd) wouldn't even make the Conference League if playing in England.
Tuchel has pretty much failed at each of his last 3 clubs, PSG, Chelsea and Bayern all sacked him (the Covid bubble CL-win doesn't count for me).

The last thing we need is another Ole/ Ten Hag situation with an unproven manager who some of our players don't seem to respect enough.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Tuchel has pretty much failed at each of his last 3 clubs, PSG, Chelsea and Bayern all sacked him (the Covid bubble CL-win doesn't count for me).
The Covid-Bubble CL was won by Bayern, not by Chelsea, so you can count that for him :smirk:
Although Tuchel reached the final that year with PSG, so there is something you can dismiss.

parmenio

People on here who think ETH is our problem are delusional.
Be lucky if he is a top 10 manager in the EPL. If you are happy with mediocrity then bully for you. Thankfully Ineos are looking at improving all aspects of the club. He doesn’t deserve next season he’s simply not good enough. Yes loads of other issues to resolve but replacing the manager is a big part of it. Ineos are well on their way to bring a new management structure in. ETH was symbolic of the old regime. Time to start afresh.

Zed 101

People on here who think ETH is our problem are delusional.
People on here who want to absolve ETH of responsibility are beyond delusional, they have been drinking the koolaid

I have never before seen a manager get so much benefit of the doubt, it is incredible, yes blame the players, the structure, the take over, the scouts.....

These may not be the best 11+ players in the league, but they are ALL top level players, almost all full regular internationals, so a coach/manager who cannot identify weaknesses and organise them to play to their strengths is as much use as a chocolate teapot, you can take everything else away and this still remains, you manage the players you have not the players you want to have!

DSG

He has the CBs sit deep… I have no problem with that. But he is also trying to press high. That leaves a massive gap in the midfield. In response to this issue, he’s asked Casemiro to sit in front of the CBs, but Mainoo and Scotty are still really far forward, supporting the attack. Still a huge gap, albeit with one more defender, Casemiro.

It’s sad to watch highly decorated players like Varane and Casemiro have to try in perform in such difficult tactical situations. They get slated for their performances when the issue is that they are asked to do things that virtually no player can do because it’s too much.

Teja

Just ask Berrada who they were planning to replace Pep with. Easy.

But yeah I'm still on the De Zerbi hype train despite them having some hiccups recently.

Zed 101

He's paid £10M a year.
I wish I got paid so much for being incompetent

Being a football manager is a great job, one of very few where you can be an utter failure, take a massive pay off and then walk into another lucrative job....

Bo_devil

It's a bit telling when multiple managers have said: 'They aren't doing what I asked them to do'. Eth, Ole, Rangnick and Mourinho have all made similar statements. However, I don't believe Eth is good enough either.