Who replaces Ten Hag?

NLunited

Soooo…. when is England playing? I want to see our new manager in action.

mav_9me

I don’t think Ratcliffe’s going to be fecking around gambling on whether Southgate is good enough. He wants to see some success with the money he’s plowing into United. He’s not a young man.

Personally I think it’s Southgate’s agent doing all this. They‘ve seen that we’ve got new owners/operators and one of the new key men is Ashworth who used to work in the England set up, decided to capitalise on that and that should be the story. Southgate‘s pretty much out of contract after the Euros so it’s a negotiating tactic with England possibly.

If you asked fans of the other 19 PL teams if they’d take him as manager to replace their current manager, I’m fairly sure at least 15 of them will say no.
I can only think of Sheffield and Forest fans who will say yes.

LuckyScout78

Southgate is driving a Rolls Royce of a football squad.
It same like born into a wealth and rich family. Where you have all the tools to play with. Luxury tools.

Credit to him for that. You make your own luck.

But from what i have observed of Southgate.

I category Southgate belong to a defensive manager.
When England were playing against top teams like France and others big nations in the world. I go into those matches with a defensive mindset. Set up to counter and not proactive.
For me he should and could get more out of this golden generation.
A lot of top top quality football players. Special many really good and top attacking players. But still he hasn't had the guts to attack and play on the front foot against top Nation.

Even Jose Mourinho get a chance to drive this Roll's Royce of a squad.
Or Jurgen Klopp driving this Larborghini of this squad. This England squad and era are maybe better and stronger than Liverpool squad Klopp is managing now.
The high energy player like Bellingham and Foden under Klopp?
Or the super quick counter attack weapon Bellingham, Saka and Rashford under Mourinho?

Even a really good Phil Foden is a uncertain XI for England. Luxury problems for every guy that manage this England golden generation.

Difference between clubs and nation:
Nation is like borning into a wealth family
With club, you get to out there and buy what you need.

So like most peoples on here. I vote for big NO to Southgate.

I have said before. If Ten Hag survive this tsunami. Survive like Arteta was doing really poor for Arsenal back in time. Arsenal decided to keep Arteta. And with more right signings. Saliba came back from loaning. Then everything changed to the positive for Arsenal and Arteta.

Patience is key. A solid tower always build on solid fundament. And it takes times. Even facing troubles under the process. Like Ten Hag with off field issues and Martinez injury.
Wait and see what Ten Hag will do from now and until the end of season.
Not many managers post Sir Alex had to deal with issues like Ronaldo, Antony and Sancho. And Greenwood before Ten Hag came. All 3 first RW options at some time gone. Not available.
Maybe a big test for Ten Hag. Hard tought guy needs big hard test. If survive it. It will be turning point.

RedRocket9908

I dont understand these people who are claiming they will stop supporting the club if INEOS bring in Southgate, none of us really want him as manager but if he does get the job then we should all still get behind him.

caid

I dont understand these people who are claiming they will stop supporting the club if INEOS bring in Southgate, none of us really want him as manager but if he does get the job then we should all still get behind him.
Its just too dumb a plan and too plain to see. I dont do blind support for anything and everything tangentially related to United.

jem

Its just too dumb a plan and too plain to see. I dont do blind support for anything and everything tangentially related to United.
Exactly! Imagine if they said they were bringing back Moyes (a more accomplished manager than Southgate) - would we all just blindly get behind him?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If I don't think ETH is the right man then why would I change my mind? I don't want Southgate, couldn't think of many potential managers who are as uninspiring as him. But I know it'd inevitably not work out, the fans would turn on him quickly, and they'd be forced to make a more legitimate appointment. That's my take.

They only thing I'd potentiality say about Southgate is that he'd probably steady the ship a bit and would obviously work well with the higher ups. But that would only take him so far. Obviously there's a list of managers I'd rather give a chance to right now.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Anyone think he still gets sacked if we win the FA cup? I mean I know Van Gaal did but this is different. ETH has got us into 3 finals potentially in 2 seasons.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Anyone think he still gets sacked if we win the FA cup? I mean I know Van Gaal did but this is different. ETH has got us into 3 finals potentially in 2 seasons.
I think the league is more important than the FA Cup.

Not saying he needs CL qualification because it is ultimately out of our hands, but if we can finish the season strongly then it might be enough to save his job.

I still think he's gone in the summer though.

DJ_21

I think the league is more important than the FA Cup.

Not saying he needs CL qualification because it is ultimately out of our hands, but if we can finish the season strongly then it might be enough to save his job.

I still think he's gone in the summer though.
Some of the names flying around though don’t make me confident that things will be better after he’s gone. Southgate, potter, Thomas Frank, just to name a few.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Some of the names flying around though don’t make me confident that things will be better after he’s gone. Southgate, potter, Thomas Frank, just to name a few.
It's just a news cycle thing I think.
There is always some clickbait headline that comes out when there's international breaks. Its not a happy coincidence that Southgate gets name dropped during international week focus - these journalists have quotas to hit and clicks to get.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I'm not really paying much attention to them (although I can see Potter being on the shortlist). It's an international break so they need something to "report".

Wilt

Can’t believe INEOS would invest £1.3 billion and be stupid enough to sign Southgate.

Yakuza_devils

Can’t believe INEOS would invest £1.3 billion and be stupid enough to sign Southgate.
If this is the direction we are going very soon all the Glazers out will also change their stance and support the Glazers instead.

At the very least, Glazers is trying a modern manager known for attacking football in ETH and generally moving towards that direction.

Appointing Southgate will make us go back to the obsolete defensive counter attacking style of play while all the PL club plays modern attacking football.

DJ_21

If this is the direction we are going very soon all the Glazers out will also change their stance and support the Glazers instead.

At the very least, Glazers is trying a modern manager known for attacking football in ETH and generally moving towards that direction.

Appointing Southgate will make us go back to the obsolete defensive counter attacking style of play while all the PL club plays modern attacking football.
Don’t think INEOS are that stupid. It’s probably so they can focus on real targets without competition. There’s a few top European teams who need new managers this summer. Glazers have never appointed football people where as INEOS are doing. If we are replacing ETH then we’re probably talking to managers now under the radar.

kidbob

Surely Naagelsman is the natural next step forward readily available. He’s worked in a hierarchy before where transfers weren’t necessarily in his control and his style would build on what ETH has at least been trying to achieve. Southgate would be a complete 180 in terms of style, the exact mistake we have made in the past years.

NLunited

I‘m warming up to the idea we might get Southgate, it will be great.

I‘m also the guy that pretended I was going in for a spa day when I had an operation. It was great.

Adz_99

I dont think FA cup alone is enough to guarantee his job.

If we can catch one of Spurs or Villa and get the 5th place CL spot then he should be alright. That feels like a long shot though.

stevoc

I don't want him but Moyes was a worse appointment and that didn't stop me supporting the club. As you say we'll just hope for the best in the unlikely event it does happen.

TsuWave

If they try to bring this guy over here I might have to go in some sort of hunter protest in front of the stadium. Good Lord.

hobbers

Andy Mitten WARNS Sir Jim Ratcliffe About APPOINTING Gareth Southgate

Shame he cant articulate the actual reason United fans backlash against the idea of Southgate. It's nothing to do with the Liverpool game or any sentiment about Ten Hag.

It's because no one wants us to hire another guaranteed failure.

Eddy_JukeZ

If Southgate somehow did succeed ETH, words wouldn't be enough for how disappointed that'd make me.

DJ_21

I’m hoping we stick with ETH for another season but if we do decide it’s time for a change then Nagelsmann has to be in the top 2 for the job. Young, attacking and will want to stay for years to build a club. His Germany team dominated France tonight despite being underdogs.

Teja

Has to be Nagelsmann
I’m hoping we stick with ETH for another season but if we do decide it’s time for a change then Nagelsmann has to be in the top 2 for the job. Young, attacking and will want to stay for years to build a club. His Germany team dominated France tonight despite being underdogs.
Surely Naagelsman is the natural next step forward readily available. He’s worked in a hierarchy before where transfers weren’t necessarily in his control and his style would build on what ETH has at least been trying to achieve. Southgate would be a complete 180 in terms of style, the exact mistake we have made in the past years.
Yep. It's the most obvious one (followed by De Zerbi and throw in others like Potter, Conte, Tuchel etc. after that) and at the very least we should start talking to them. None of this business about waiting to see where we finish - that'll be way too late. Surely Berrada knows a thing or two about who was on City's list as Pep's replacement.

hobbers

Nagelsmann, Amorim, De Zerbi would be my top 3, in that order.

Assuming there wasnt the option of going for Emery or luring Inzhagi over .

Teja

How can you go from those three to Emery :nono:

He is basically Jose v2. Europa league coach at best.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
of course we will continue supporting the club, we have through the Glazers, but if Ineos bring in Southgate basically eradicates any hope at all that they maybe know what they are doing!

hobbers

How can you go from those three to Emery :nono:

He is basically Jose v2. Europa league coach at best.
He's nothing like Jose. Highest line in the league vs park the bus low block.

Even if Ineos and Ashworth have enough collective grey matter to avoid all the obvious managerial pitfalls (Southgate, Potter, Tuchel etc), which at this point seems very unlikely, all the (good) options for manager are still enormous risks.

De Zerbi and Amorim have nothing on their cvs compared to Emery. Amorim has only managed in Portugal, which is closer to the Eredivisie than the Prem. I'd be happy going for any but they'll all be as big a risk as ETH was.

mav_9me

Emery has failed at 2 high clubs in arsenal and PSG. And we are a bigger club with huge issues.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Can this Southgate to United talk please stop? Liverpool are the ones definitely looking for a new manager so that should be the conversation.