Who replaces Ten Hag?

RORY65

And this for many is somehow a reason to sack the manager.
This is also the reason why I’d like to see Erik given next season with a competent set up supporting him. In theory we will have a competent director of football and technical director who can work with Erik to define our style of play, identify players to buy and sell, we will have a CEO and his team who can do competent deals and buy and sell well and we have Sir Dave who can work with coaching and fitness setups to maximise fitness and minimise injuries. We should be able to see the best of ETH under these conditions and if it’s no better then the die is cast and he is replaced.
Nobody can argue this season hasn’t been a huge disappointment, but with all the change at the club replacing the coaching team too could be one step too far ala Moyes. I also don’t feel any of the options are actually better than Erik either.
The issue is that a lot of what you're saying isn't going to be in place for it to significantly impact things next year, we won't have Ashworth this summer and don't currently have a deal for Wilcox while Berrada isn't coming in until June. The best run clubs will already be well underway in terms of preparation for next season, we don't currently even have the people in place to make those preparations. That may be an argument to keep Ten Hag, next season is likely to still be a mess so maybe you don't want to throw a new manager into that situation so just keep the incumbent as a placeholder, but you're effectively giving him 2 or 3 more year because the set up this summer isn't going to be close to ideal. Also keep that charlatan Sir Dave away from anything, I hate seeing him anywhere near the club.

Pintu

Tuchel is choosing to play Eric Dier. It's a definite no from me.
I think he did a similar thing at Paris, playing Danilo in central back position to show his defiance towards Leonardo’s recruitment…

Tuchel without the adequate football and HR structure is a ticking bomb. He often finds ways to fall off with someone. But I’m still willing to take those risks. He is a proven football manager at the high-level.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think he did a similar thing at Paris, playing Danilo in central back position to show his defiance towards Leonardo’s recruitment…

Tuchel without the adequate football and HR structure is a ticking bomb. He often finds ways to fall off with someone. But I’m still willing to take those risks. He is a proven football manager at the high-level.
feck Tuchel. Boing football and a walking timebomb, no time for that.

Kellyiom

I have followed football for 40 years now. I followed well run clubs and I saw some horribly run ones as well. However I never witnessed United's situation. We're in the toughest league in the world, we have a shit squad who lack athleticism, attitude and talent and is ridiculously paid. FFP is clipping our wings and we're set to change every single part of the football structure from board members right to CEO, Sporting director, technical director, manager, fitness team, doctor and possibly the tea lady as well. Everyone is coming in different time. Nothing prepares you to that.

That's why Mckenna makes sense. First of all he's the most promising manager in Britain at the moment. The EPL is not alien to him. Secondly he knows what to expect at United, which players to trust and which ones to get rid having worked across most levels. Finally he's no system manager. He can switch things around.
You know, I take on board the point of view that it might just be too early for McKenna but sometimes the simplest and most effective solution is staring at you.

I think it would be wise to not completely eliminate him from discussions and at least keep in contact with him.

We're really up against it, I think it's not just as bad as it looks, I think it's worse. I'm 51 and remember the pre-SAF days and I honestly believe our business model is broken and needs emergency surgery.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Explain to me how a young manager without a big name, who has worked with some of our players before even at academy level, is less likely to give them any more chances than some experienced big name coming in from outside? That is fan fiction logic.
These are the type of posts that get the devilish out of me. OK

First of all we had big names before. We had LVG who filled us with sub standard players from the Eredivisie including a 5ft11 CB. Then we had the other Dutch manager who also filled us with sub standard players from the Eredivisie but this time round the CB was 5ft9. Is Martinez the butcher or the butchered? I can't recall. Not to forget Mourinho. Oh the special one was special everywhere apart from United. He hasn't recovered since. So let's put this big name nonsense aside especially since the 'big names' we're being linked in recently are hardly big names at all. I mean what had Nagelsmann won exactly? Ah yes 1 Bundesliga title with Bayern. That's an achievement. Had Bayern ever won it before? I wonder

Ok joke is over now. Few months ago I would have laughed at the suggestion of Mckenna myself but the more time passes the more it makes sense. First of all what he did with Ipswich is incredible. Prior to Mckenna Ipswich were sinking in league 1. They are now first in the Championship which means 3 promotions in 3 years. That's seems a bigger achievement then winning the Bundesliga with richest club in Germany to me. The guy's tactics work in the Championship which surely is very close to the EPL, certainly more then the Dutch league. He has no allegiance to any prior club or squad either. I can't see Mckenna pushing for an 80m signing from Ipswich for example or dragging their DM to almost every club he was in like Mou did with Matic. Not to forget that he is small fry. That means no ' I don't want to work with a DOF' or 'I want a huge say in transfers and I like Sports Entertainment Group very much' BS

But most importantly is that he knows exactly what's going on at Manchester United. That's crucial for two reasons. First of all we're set to face the biggest upheaval the club had ever had since probably forever. INEOS had become a minority owner and everyone in the football side seems on the way out. We're talking about new board members, new CEO, new Sporting director, new technical director, new doctor (ok we changed him this year but he's been here few months at best), new fitness team, new physios, new head of recruitment, new recruitment team etc. Most of these people had never worked with the others and will come at different times which means that there's a huge void in leadership. Secondly we have possibly the laziest and most treacherous squad we ever had. These guys are experts in switching off and switching on at a moment notice and are masters in throwing managers under the bridge. They had taken the scalp of 5 managers so far. Mckenna knows Manchester United. He knows how every cog in that club works, whom to trust and whom to get rid. He had seen this squad turning first at Mou and then at Ole. The two were two polar opposite managers and yet shared the same end result ie a lazy squad and a toxic environment. Those are lessons that Mckenna would have learnt. Therefore if Mckenna becomes head coach then we shouldn't be hearing of any 'turning the new leaf' or 'blank slate' anymore.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You know, I take on board the point of view that it might just be too early for McKenna but sometimes the simplest and most effective solution is staring at you.

I think it would be wise to not completely eliminate him from discussions and at least keep in contact with him.

We're really up against it, I think it's not just as bad as it looks, I think it's worse. I'm 51 and remember the pre-SAF days and I honestly believe our business model is broken and needs emergency surgery.
Many said the same thing about Conte (Juve) and Guardiola (Barcelona). Well they were wrong. There are times when the best in class head coach can do the trick while other times when you've got to have someone who knows exactly what's going on and can therefore tackle issues that new people wouldn't even notice until its too late

soapythecat

If ETH stays, and I have a feeling he will, he needs way more support. He needs to be told of a style of play and backed in dropping Rashford and Fernandes. The Southgate rumours make me sick to the stomach.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

So was van Gaal and Mourinho. And both were on a very clear downward trajectory prior to joining. Just like Tuchel.

Gordon S

If ETH stays, and I have a feeling he will, he needs way more support. He needs to be told of a style of play and backed in dropping Rashford and Fernandes. The Southgate rumours make me sick to the stomach.
Gut feeling for me is that he has had support, but the support has been poor. Hopefully the support will improve in the near future with Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox and probably a few more coming in later this year. I hope.

CM

This is also the reason why I’d like to see Erik given next season with a competent set up supporting him. In theory we will have a competent director of football and technical director who can work with Erik to define our style of play, identify players to buy and sell, we will have a CEO and his team who can do competent deals and buy and sell well and we have Sir Dave who can work with coaching and fitness setups to maximise fitness and minimise injuries. We should be able to see the best of ETH under these conditions and if it’s no better then the die is cast and he is replaced.
Nobody can argue this season hasn’t been a huge disappointment, but with all the change at the club replacing the coaching team too could be one step too far ala Moyes. I also don’t feel any of the options are actually better than Erik either.
Are we seriously saying it takes a director to determine the style of play for Ten Hag to realise the huge tactical flaws in his own system? The tail's wagging the dog here.

As for the last point, there's only value in keeping the coach on if he knows what he's doing. Ten Hag does not, that much has been made abundantly clear since the back end of last season. We play a style of football which is naive, unsustainable and horrible to watch. There's no evidence to suggest he'll change that or has even explored changing that. We finished bottom of a weak Champions League group. We're on negative goal difference. We aren't qualifying for the Champions League next season even with an extra spot up for grabs. When will the penny drop?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Anyone who will put some pressure on these fecking clowns we call officials. Chelsea got every call last night, including 2 of the softest pens we’ve seen this season, and still nothing is said. It’s a darker side of the game, but it clearly works. Klopp went batshit early on and they daren’t touch him.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Has to be De Zerbi. Genuinely think Liverpool want him. I'll say it: I want Manchester United to play like Brighton.

Most games they play with complete unknowns or players who are not starters but they still come out of it looking good. There, you can understand that results don't go their way because of the personnel or lack of talent, but they still play well beyond their perceived level.

Listened to Kevin Boateng talk about him. He's the right type of character for top level football. Very prickly when he needs to be but also warm with his players and able to motivate them. Ten Haag doesn't have that. He's more of a first team coach than a Premier League manager. Very different roles.
J.Nagelsman won't cut it in the Premier League. He is of the same ilk as Villas Boas.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Literally anybody at this stage. I'd trust half the caf in charge not to concede more shots than any other team in the top 5 leagues in Europe.

hobbers

On earth is this nonsense?? The CEO and director of football dont work with a head coach to create the style of play. They hire the head coach that conforms to the style of play they want.

It's just pure bullshit copium to believe a "competent" (no evidence of that yet either) set up will somehow rescue a failed manager from being incompetent and tactically lacking.

Also, no one wants Hag sacked just for not challenging. He has to go because we play hideous football, lose unprecedented numbers of games, and cant even look convincing against the worst teams in the worst form. But then you know that already.

Infestissumam

most of the names mentioned send shivers down my spine. Southgate, Tuchel, Potter ... yikes.

Just bring in a modern coach with a clear plan and structure. Sometimes it doesn't have to be a big name, just the right fit. Look at what Sebastian Hoeness has done at Stuttgart for example, they regularly play teams like Dortmund off the park with attacking football. I'm convinced they'd absolutely tear United apart if they played tomorrow.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Are we seriously saying it takes a director to determine the style of play for Ten Hag to realise the huge tactical flaws in his own system? The tail's wagging the dog here.
That’s not what I said at all.
The CEO and director of football dont work with a head coach to create the style of play. They hire the head coach that conforms to the style of play they want.
Semantics. Point being he would be a cog in the machine, not the ringleader trying to keep all the plates spinning on his own. But then you already knew that.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I'd take Gary O'Neil over the current mug.
He also tends to hit the ground sprinting, saved Bournemouth last season and a last minute hire for wolves this, plays decent football, would probably want a few more years managing before taking a step up unless a club are willing to do an arteta with him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's a big part of the multi million pound a year manager's job to motivate the players. If he can't do it then it yes it is another reason to sack him.

The next manager should be a big character that can inspire the players (the opposite of Ten Hag).

Lyng

I'd take him. My order of preference is:

Nagelsmann - De Zerbi - Tuchel - Ancelotti / Potter / Conte / Amorim etc.
Please explain this one to me. So far he has failed at everything but Leipzig.

hobbers

Semantics. Point being he would be a cog in the machine, not the ringleader trying to keep all the plates spinning on his own. But then you already knew that.
No it's not semantics. You're saying Ashworth and Berreda are suppose to waste years trying to mould ETH to be the head coach they want him to be.

Klopp and Pep are not just cogs in machines. Neither is Ancelotti, Tuchel, Conte... any other multi-title winning manager you care to think of. Or others like Ange, Emery etc.

It's better to have competent football execs above the manager but they dont turn shit managers into gods. In fact the best execs all just keep firing managers until the next Klopp and Pep show up.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'd take him. My order of preference is:

Nagelsmann - De Zerbi - Tuchel - Ancelotti / Potter / Conte / Amorim etc.
Would take either of them except Conte. Whom while better than EtH is not someone you want during a long rebuild.

I would also take Hansi Flick, and maybe I wouldn’t mind McKenna (albeit it is probably a couple years too early for him).

There are probably a dozen other managers whom would be a potential upgrade on EtH. Just look at Spurs getting Ange.

There is no risk whatsoever on replacing EtH even if the new manager would be as shit. Refusing to replace him would be a bit similar to refusing to replace Martial cause the new striker might be bad too.

CM

Well how else do you believe 'defining' our style of play could dramatically change our fortunes? There's nothing to work with, we can't even do the basics right.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
With what consequence? Everyone knows he'll be starting the next game and the manager even said as much. And that's one player.

We played better football with more consistency under Ole. Improvement on this is easily achievable with a half decent coach.

This belief that we have to give a manager 3 or 4 years to prove they're not good enough is completely misguided and backwards. Ten Hag has already proven he can't do the job over the last year. Sticking with him achieves nothing more than letting the rot set in.
You are obviously entitled to your opinion, and Ten Hag is far from being unmistaken, but considering

1. Martinez has been injured all season
2. Shaw and Malacia have been MIA
3. Casemiro has been injured all season
4. Mount has been injured for most of the season
5. We only have one, 20 year old kid as a striker, who also got injured
6. Rashford decided to not give half a feck
7. Bruno is not half of what he used to be

and many other more minor injuries, in a squad that wasn't great to begin with, I think the fact that we are 6th in the league and will likely be in FA Cup final, is a fecking miracle, for ANY manager.

Not to mention that - who are we hiring if we fire EtH? In the year when Liverpool, Byern, and Barcelona are all looking for managers, teams that are more derisable whether we like it or not.

Do we really think Southgate will make us great again?

Roboc7

The coaching, tactics and management is so shit it is almost pointless having a manager, absolutely nothing to lose by sacking them. A lot of excuses can be made for ETH but when he can’t do the absolute bare minimum and just repeats the same mistakes every game then he only has himself to blame.

luke511

You are obviously entitled to your opinion, and Ten Hag is far from being unmistaken, but considering

and many other more minor injuries, in a squad that wasn't great to begin with, I think the fact that we are 6th in the league and will likely be in FA Cup final, is a fecking miracle, for ANY manager.

Not to mention that - who are we hiring if we fire EtH? In the year when Liverpool, Byern, and Barcelona are all looking for managers, teams that are more derisable whether we like it or not.

There's more managers out there, other than Southgate. Ten Hag supporters have been brainwashed into thinking otherwise.

CM

The squad make up is on Ten Hag as much as it is anyone else. We've made 9 permanent signings since he's been here, 10 if you include Jonny Evans.

Casemiro has only missed 2 months of the season. We had Amrabat in reserve, a player who Ten Hag pushed hard for in the summer. Despite this, Ten Hag hasn't given us any kind of structure or balance in midfield.

Mount spent the majority of last season injured for Chelsea and plays the same position as Bruno Fernandes, yet he still decided to make him the centrepiece of his summer transfer activity. That one is very much on Ten Hag.

There are one or two aspects he has been unlucky with. The left back situation is one. The situation with Martinez is another, although I don't think Ten Hag has helped matters by rushing him back. In an ideal world he might've had an extra striker. None of these are good enough reasons to justify the season we've had, however.

The absence of any kind of system or structure are unacceptable under these circumstances. Plenty of other teams in the division have had to cope with injuries, including teams like Spurs and Liverpool above us in the table. Part of the manager's remit is finding solutions and his haven't been good enough. It's not as though we've been close to producing anything even slightly reminiscent of good football, either. This season has been an unmitigated failure.

To an extent it kind of doesn't matter who we hire when we know the current bloke in charge isn't up to it. It's obvious the options extend far beyond Gareth Southgate though, we shouldn't let a couple of unverified media reports scare us away from making a decision that has to be made.

Ole'sgunnarwin

It's a miracle that this Manchester United side is 6th? You really believe that? What has Ten Hag done well this season to be kept in the job?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
You're saying Ashworth and Berreda are suppose to waste years trying to mould ETH to be the head coach they want him to be.
No, that’s definitely not what I said, or what I’m saying. Erik has one year left, so let him see out his contract, see if it works when he isn’t controlling everything. When he has some help and trusts those around him. When the club has direction.
I'd imagine the conversation will be a few hours before the close season. “We want you to play this style of football”. “Okay, that fine but this player and that player won’t work in that formation” It’s not hard.
And the CEO is called Omar Berrada, get it right! ;)

soapythecat

most of the names mentioned send shivers down my spine. Southgate, Tuchel, Potter ... yikes.

Just bring in a modern coach with a clear plan and structure. Sometimes it doesn't have to be a big name, just the right fit. Look at what Sebastian Hoeness has done at Stuttgart for example, they regularly play teams like Dortmund off the park with attacking football. I'm convinced they'd absolutely tear United apart if they played tomorrow.
I'm totally with you on this. I'm sure the new management team are aware of good managers who are not in the usual, depressing list.
Would need a big leap of faith from the appointers along with a lot of patience from us - not sure about that. When you look at what Wolves and Bournemouth have done this season on getting the right fit, it does give me hope. I'm not sure that there is a right fit for our crazy gang of misfits though.

hobbers

No, that’s definitely not what I said, or what I’m saying. Erik has one year left, so let him see out his contract, see if it works when he isn’t controlling everything. When he has some help and trusts those around him. When the club has direction.
I'd imagine the conversation will be a few hours before the close season. “We want you to play this style of football”. “Okay, that fine but this player and that player won’t work in that formation” It’s not hard.
And the CEO is called Omar Berrada, get it right! ;)
Why waste yet another season on a proven loser? We've already wasted like 5 of the last 10 seasons with that attitude.

He wasn't controlling everything this season. Or last season. As we've heard 1500 times in his thread, he wasn't the one doing the deals. Contrary to popular belief, he had a small army of scouts and data analysts at his disposal. The club had direction. He knew what his objectives were for this season, he just shat the bed.

Also, no manager is going to sit there and be told by execs what style of football to play. None. That's why they hire managers who already play the style they want.

Last edited:

Dazzmondo

Rangnick is a much better manager than ETH. He proved it before and after his unfortunate stint at United.
He never had a real chance. Only 6 months contract, zero backing with transfers. Every manager is a lame duck in such setup.

If you are worried about playing credentials, Nagelsmann is the wrong type anyway. He never played professional football as he had to retire due to injury at very young age.
I don't agree that Rangnick has proven that he is better than ETH, but I do agree that the setup for him was very tough to succeed in. It was very clear that the players did not like or respect him (which might also have been partly down to his man management, he did come across as a bit too blunt and lacking tact in interviews tbh).

Nagelsman wouldn't be my first choice, but I do think rightly or wrongly that he has a much better reputation among players than Rangnick did. Very few seemed to have any real knowledge of Rangnick outside Germany (Ronaldo said he wasn't even a coach and he had never heard of him).

If the manager has impressive achievements to fall back on, I think they can get past the issue of them not being a great player. Jose winning the CL and Klopp winning the Bundesliga with Dortmund are 2 examples (Liverpool's squad also wasn't that full of stars when he took over either).