Who replaces Ten Hag?

IncyWincySpider

It's part of the reason why I don't buy any of the Southgate links. He's publicly come out and said he won't speak to clubs about jobs before the Euros, so he'll come out looking silly and under increasing pressure and criticism if he did take accept a job beforehand. United, like other clubs will want to have any new manager in place or at least agreed prior to the Euros so it would be pretty crazy for United to wait until England have finished at the Euros to then sack ETH and appoint Southgate (assuming he even wants the job). It just doesn't make much sense for any of the parties involved, unlike Nagalsman who like you said has made his position clear in the opposite direction.

If Southgate leaves England, I'd expect him to take a break and if he wants to go back into club football, it won't be this summer.
I agree, and also, if England somehow managed to win the euros there is no way he would leave. So he won’t agree to anything in advance.

Telsim

It's not going to get smaller and smaller, because obviously people improve as well. The pool of managers doesn't remain static.

Girona's manager Michel might have another fantastic season and then be an option, Ruben Baraja may continue to improve with Valencia and become an option. Luis Enrique may be an option after next season, Francesco Farioli may continue his progression at Nice and earn himself the next step in INEOS hierachy. Inzaghi could be an option after another fantastic year with Inter. Seb Hoeneß at Stuggart might also continue his progression.

We do not need to rush into a new manager, especially if it's fecking Potter or Southgate. For what it's worth, I quite like Potter, but I'm not clamouring for him.
I'm very tired of writing seasons off over and over again, though. Which is what we'd be doing if we stick with this manager. And then the new manager will also need the season after next to get started. So that's two season gone for no reason. Just start this summer instead. But the pool for that is getting smaller. Of course, if it's Potter or Southgate, then it doesn't really matter what happens as it will be clear we will remain a banter club anyway.

Ghirahim

Whoever is in charge next season (I think it will be Nagelsmann) needs to raid that Bayer Leverkusen squad in the summer.

Chumpsbechumps

When Potter was sacked last April, he had 10 or 11 defeats. Ten Hag already has 12 with a better squad. If Potter's season went really bad like you said, I'd love to hear what you would call Ten Hag's.
Why are you mentioning ETH in a conversation about his potential replacement?

But if you really want to go there, when Potter took over that Chelsea squad they:

- were a consistent top 4 team/squad
- won the champions league barely 14 months before he joined
- they had just finished 3rd, runners up in fa cup, league cup , QF of CL, won super cup , won world club cup
- spent the same amount on transfers as ETH got, for Tuchel and then spent another insane amount for Potter in the January - a total of half a billion spent in that year to strengthen Chelsea for potter

I’d really like to hear how you think ETH inherited or now has “a better squad”.

United spent less money, had a broken squad that can’t even regular get into the CL and Has only made the QFs twice in 11 years. And loads of you make out that most his signings are abysmal. Oh and a lot of people say “owners don’t coach the team” so Boehly can’t really be used as an excuse as some of you say the glazers don’t affect us on field.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Why are you mentioning ETH in a conversation about his potential replacement?

But if you really want to go there, when Potter took over that Chelsea squad they:

- were a consistent top 4 team/squad
- won the champions league barely 14 months before he joined
- they had just finished 3rd, runners up in fa cup, league cup , QF of CL, won super cup , won world club cup
- spent the same amount on transfers as ETH got, for Tuchel and then spent another insane amount for Potter in the January - a total of half a billion spent in that year to strengthen Chelsea for potter

I’d really like to hear how you think ETH inherited or now has “a better squad”.

United spent less money, had a broken squad that can’t even regular get into the CL and Has only made the QFs twice in 11 years. And loads of you make out that most his signings are abysmal. Oh and a lot of people say “owners don’t coach the team” so Boehly can’t really be used as an excuse as some of you say the glazers don’t affect us on field.
Because you've been pretty consistent about giving ETH another season under new structure despite this shitshow of a season. Did Potter really take over a consistent top 4 squad? How come Poch can't get them back to consistent top 4 then? Is ETH better than both?!

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm very tired of writing seasons off over and over again, though. Which is what we'd be doing if we stick with this manager. And then the new manager will also need the season after next to get started. So that's two season gone for no reason. Just start this summer instead. But the pool for that is getting smaller. Of course, if it's Potter or Southgate, then it doesn't really matter what happens as it will be clear we will remain a banter club anyway.
Why are we writing a season off? We'll clearly be investing in the summer, so regardless if Ten Hag is here on not, our squad will be improved. If we do keep Ten Hag, it won't be because we're writing off a season, the philosophy will transcend whatever manager we have at the helm and the philosophy will be agreed with the manager with the new footballing hierarchy.

Chumpsbechumps

Because you've been pretty consistent about giving ETH another season under new structure despite this shitshow of a season. Did Potter really take over a consistent top 4 squad? How come Poch can't get them back to consistent top 4 then? Is ETH better than both?!
I’ve consistently said I’m happy to go along with what INEOs decide on ETH Future . I will understand either way that there are variables they may or may not feel, were mitigation factors that make this season more difficult to appraise.

However If they choose potter or Southgate I won’t be the only fan concerned. Sacking ETH and replacing him with either of those two are different discussions. I’d say theres plenty of fans who want ETH sacked and don’t want Potter/Southgate, so my perceived positivity to ETH is irrelevant.

You aren’t responding to what I posted , just trying to shift the discussion in a way you can have a go at ETH.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not sure if we think Ten Hag lacks the charisma to be a manager of a top club, why Potter and Southgate are acceptable options.

mu4c_20le

I’ve consistently said I’m happy to go along with what INEOs decide on ETH Future . I will understand either way that there are variables they may or may not feel, were mitigation factors that make this season more difficult to appraise.

However If they choose potter or Southgate I won’t be the only fan concerned. Sacking ETH and replacing him with either of those two are different discussions. I’d say theres plenty of fans who want ETH sacked and don’t want Potter/Southgate, so my perceived positivity to ETH is irrelevant.

You aren’t responding to what I posted , just trying to shift the discussion in a way you can have a go at ETH.
Just to be clear, I wasn't responding to what I didn't ask for. No point in talking about history when the squad gets revamped every year. I do find it even more interesting now that you're rating Boehly's Chelsea so highly.. do you think ETH could've achieved top 4 in either of Boehly's two seasons? This isn't a gotcha btw, but because whatever people may think of Poch, he did bring Spurs to a CL final and consistent top 4 with a shoestring budget while playing attractive football. If you think ETH is better then I'm glad we didn't sack him just yet, he might actually be special.

Maticmaker

I agree with that. It does remain to be seen how it will all work out. The signs do seem promising in my view, but let’s keep our fingers crossed.
Yes, the quality of the people he is seemingly appointing at the senior level does give encouragement for the future. I suppose it depends on how the INEOS senior management model works out in practice at OT.

Chumpsbechumps

Just to be clear, I wasn't responding to what I didn't ask for. No point in talking about history when the squad gets revamped every year. I do find it even more interesting now that you're rating Boehly's Chelsea so highly.. do you think ETH could've achieved top 4 in either of Boehly's two seasons? This isn't a gotcha btw, but because whatever people may think of Poch, he did bring Spurs to a CL final and consistent top 4 with a shoestring budget while playing attractive football. If you think ETH is better then I'm glad we didn't sack him just yet, he might actually be special.
But you aren’t clear. You are all over the place.

I said I don’t want Potter and you are twisting the discussion to be about ETH.

You said ETH has a stronger squad than Potter had. I clarified that Potter inherited a squad that had done better than uniteds and had a lot more money spent. There’s an awful lot of contradictions in your sentiments on this.

My Boehly comment was tongue in cheek. Some of you say that all our transfers are ETH fault. And that 400 million spent means he has to do better. But Chelsea have spent way more, by that logic then Chelsea managers are doing worse. Some of you also say that “the glazers don’t coach the players”, well the same could be said for Boehly.

Boehly is a disaster. He proves my point that owners idiocy can affect on field performances significantly. It also proves that clubs transfer spend is only as good as those running the club. Which is exactly why many of us think that ETH getting sh*t for our transfers is harsh in some ways.

I totally agree that Poch is not a mid table manager. But he’s managing a club that’s spent way more than United. “ ETH has spent £400 millon” gets thrown at him all the time.. , Chelsea have spent so much more in less time. Why does Poch get a pass and ETH doesnt?Perhaps ETH is better than Poch, getting us higher in the league at half the price ?

Did Potter and Poch say they didn’t want any of the signings made? This is what some of you say when some of us suggest that ETH might not of gotten players he wanted. You can’t ignore all United owner/structure issues and then defend other managers because they worked under bad owners. We have sh*t owners and the entire structure is being changed to compensate.

mu4c_20le

But you aren’t clear. You are all over the place.

I said I don’t want Potter and you are twisting the discussion to be about ETH.
Because you want to give ETH another year. You have an entire history of saying this, despite you being okay with whatever Ineos does. You clearly prefer to stick with ETH.

You said ETH has a stronger squad than Potter had. I clarified that Potter inherited a squad that had done better than uniteds and had a lot more money spent. There’s an awful lot of contradictions in your sentiments on this.
He does. Tuchel finished 3rd in his final season because he is actually a really good manager, far better than most here give him credit for, even some chelsea fans. If you feel like it, you can go and compare squads side by side and see who has the better squad.

My Boehly comment was tongue in cheek. Some of you say that all our transfers are ETH fault. And that 400 million spent means he has to do better. But Chelsea have spent way more, by that logic then Chelsea managers are doing worse. Some of you also say that “the glazers don’t coach the players”, well the same could be said for Boehly.
I would hope so. To expect any manager to finish anywhere near top 4 with that squad would be utterly delusional. I'm still waiting to hear if you think ETH could've done better because, again, you do prefer to stick with ETH yet feel strongly against Potter for that "really bad season".

Boehly is a disaster. He proves my point that owners idiocy can affect on field performances significantly. It also proves that clubs transfer spend is only as good as those running the club. Which is exactly why many of us think that ETH getting sh*t for our transfers is harsh in some ways.

I totally agree that Poch is not a mid table manager. But he’s managing a club that’s spent way more than United. “ ETH has spent £400 millon” gets thrown at him all the time.. , Chelsea have spent so much more in less time. Why does Poch get a pass and ETH doesnt?Perhaps ETH is better than Poch, getting us higher in the league at half the price ?

Did Potter and Poch say they didn’t want any of the signings made? This is what some of you say when some of us suggest that ETH might not of gotten players he wanted. You can’t ignore all United owner/structure issues and then defend other managers because they worked under bad owners. We have sh*t owners and the entire structure is being changed to compensate.
Poch doesn't really get a pass, it's just that people know those are Boehly signings, and ours are ETH signings. Just to be clear, the criticism directed at our previous structure was because they gave the manager what he wanted, and not because they forced their own signings on them. Slight difference, but different nonetheless. Then again, your original point that i was responding to, was purely critical of Potter with no mention of Boehly, so not sure why you're bringing up ownership now unless its another quick instinctive defense of ETH.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Seeing how Ineos is aggressive in poaching stuff, i am hoping that they will at least try to lure Xabi Alonso. Why not try at least?

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
I´m surprised that not more people talk about the Bournemouth manager Andoni Iraola (for United or in general). Plays some nice attacking football. Spanish connection maybe with the new infrastructure. Promotion with Rayo, easily kept them in La Liga with 11th and 12th. Then had a horrible start with Bournemouth in a new league. They were in 19th place after nine rounds without a win !!!

Here is a quick look at the table since round nine....

Liverpool 51
Arsenal 50
City 49
Villa 41
Bournemouth 38
Tottenham 37
United 34
West Ham 34
Chelsea 32
Newcastle 31
Wolves 31
Fulham 28
Brighton 27

Bournemouth are basically playing Champions League qualifying level football since matchday 10.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
In no particular order

Nanglesman - I don't this he will leave the German national team.
Amorim
Gasperini
Luis Enrique
Tuchel
Flick

Any of these would instantly be better than ETH.

Malons

We need to stop trying to identify managers who we think can win us a title in the next couple of seasons

Eddy_JukeZ

In no particular order

Nanglesman - I don't this he will leave the German national team.
Amorim
Gasperini
Luis Enrique
Tuchel
Flick

Any of these would instantly be better than ETH.
I think Nagelsmann will leave after the Euros, but Bayern might bring him back. I wouldn't be surprised if that was his 1st choice.

Steve Bruce

Inzaghi would be my pick of gettable managers

Unai emery would be another I would like but don't think he's gettable.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We would be left with Tuchel, Potter and De Zerbi if we don’t act fast. Liverpool are already far ahead in securing Amorim, Juventus want Motta, Nagelsmann is Bayern’s top candidate, and Inzaghi is signing a new contract

redshaw

Probably tempting for Nagelsmann to go back to Bayern.

As bad as ETH has been he would've been much better had Ineos or something like had been in place for 3 years prior that one can trust. Any manager coming in face being at the start again.

Perhaps Ineos know they have to be realistic and get a means to an end manager as it's another fresh start and a top coach probably won't want to waste 2 years unless they can be sold on the project and accept a bigger challenge. A new manager could setup up the current squad better and so forth but we've not been a top club for a decade, so much is required in training, fitness and player recruitment.

Good thing is we're linked with people to run the club that are able to find players and get the fitness/training staff right. We need to find gems and bargains, get them early. We can't be paying 70 million for a has been or a young player like Hojlund.

Selling clubs have been doing our job for us but we've not realized it, if Ajax want 85m you just don't bother and look elsewhere. Madrid want 70m and he wants this mega wage, maybe you're barking up the wrong tree. We have to start calling the shots here and not be desperate putting on band-aids and chucking 10s of millions away.

If a player or contract is too expensive then leave the player there, start as you mean to go on and overtime we can build a squad and get useful players to help out at the right price and become known we won't be digging deep for short term salvage and have players wanting to come and be part of something good in the long run.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
We would be left with Tuchel, Potter and De Zerbi if we don’t act fast. Liverpool are already far ahead in securing Amorim, Juventus want Motta, Nagelsmann is Bayern’s top candidate, and Inzaghi is signing a new contract
None of those are confirmed, all of those links could still be just wrong or not happening for other reasons

Eddy_JukeZ

What about Flick as an outside of the box suggestion?
I like him, but some of the Amazon videos of his coaching with the German NT was a bit off-putting in a way. Doesn't seem like he connects with players that well. Albeit, it was just 1-2 clips.

I think his Bayern side in 2019-2020 when he took over from Kovac were extraordinary.

Pretty sure he'd be better than ETH, but there might be better options.

soapythecat

Sack him now. Fletcher in until the end of the season - pretty sure he’s done his badges. I do t see how it could be worse but I’m sure he would try a different approach that suits the players. We might fluke a cup win.
I don’t think the next head coach will be an obvious one. I’d love Emery but too expensive. I’d go for Bournemouth manager right now as he’s doing great there with that squad. Wouldn’t cost much.
I believe in INEOS to get the correct structure so we don’t need a coach from a top club we need a progressive one that’s proven himself at a overachieving club.

The-Mezzala

Amorim seemingly gone. Nagelsmann favourite for Bayern apparently. Who are the obvious remaining (and realistic) candidates? De Zerbi, Thiago Motta, Potter? Does it matter that none of them have won anything?
Motta is going to Juventus. Its De Zerbi or stick with the bald Dutch man for me. Potter and Southgate with this group of average players could put us in the bottom half and even a relegation battle.

Red Regista

Inzaghi - good tactics and seems to put an emphasis on discipline/ teamwork

Simeone - not pretty, but succesful tactics, plus he has that ultimate intimidation factor (both to his own players and the opposition)

Zidane - small sample size, but he looked good at Real, won plenty of trophies and has an almost infinite amount of credit in the media due to his greatness as a player

Allegri - similar to Simeone, not pretty football, but is regarded as a tactical mastermind and puts an absurd amount of focus on discipline.

You see where I'm going? We basically need a good tactician, who puts a lot of emphasis on discipline so that our feckers focus on winning instead of all the off the field stuff and who has won things and therefore enough credit and balls to bench some of the clowns that call themselves Manchester United players.

CM

Thiago Motta's Genoa side conceeded 17 goals in 11 games, his Spezia side conceeded 74 in 40, and his Bologna team have conceeded 65 in 68.

Motta's career win rate is only 38.98 percent having lost almost as many as he has won (Won 46 Drawn 29 Lost 43), while his win rate at Bologna is 48.53% (Won 33 Drawn 20 Lost 15).

Motta also has zero expirience of managing a top side and has not won any honours as a manager.
Ten Hag's United side have conceded 71 in 44 this season, that's a worse average than his Genoa or Bologna teams, with far better personnel available to him.

Win rates are also skewed by the clubs you're working for. Those percentages aren't surprising for a coach who has been restricted to jobs with midtable teams or worse.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Thiago Motta's Genoa side conceeded 17 goals in 11 games, his Spezia side conceeded 74 in 40, and his Bologna team have conceeded 65 in 68.

Motta's career win rate is only 38.98 percent having lost almost as many as he has won (Won 46 Drawn 29 Lost 43), while his win rate at Bologna is 48.53% (Won 33 Drawn 20 Lost 15).

Motta also has zero expirience of managing a top side and has not won any honours as a manager.
I don't think you should just judge a manager on stats alone, especially when they're not already at a top, dominant club. Klopp got Mainz relegated and failed at promotion, you'd have been posting stats about him too, if that was right now. And you'd end up looking daft.

Sometimes you have to watch games and judge the tactics, coaching, relationship with players, demeanor etc and get a feel of whether they could go up more levels with better resources. That's the job of Ineos and the new guys right now, because the next big managers are out there.

That's why De Zerbi and some of these others need to be judged by somebody that understands football well and perhaps has insight into these people and how they operate. It's no good saying he's only get Brighton x amount of wins or whatever, when they sold their best players and have had chronic injury issues with an already depleted squad. But that's just one example.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I´m surprised that not more people talk about the Bournemouth manager Andoni Iraola (for United or in general). Plays some nice attacking football. Spanish connection maybe with the new infrastructure. Promotion with Rayo, easily kept them in La Liga with 11th and 12th. Then had a horrible start with Bournemouth in a new league. They were in 19th place after nine rounds without a win !!!

Here is a quick look at the table since round nine....

Liverpool 51
Arsenal 50
City 49
Villa 41
Bournemouth 38
Tottenham 37
United 34
West Ham 34
Chelsea 32
Newcastle 31
Wolves 31
Fulham 28
Brighton 27

Bournemouth are basically playing Champions League qualifying level football since matchday 10.
I agree, I think he probably should be judged when backed in the summer what he does, he has a Solanke in absolutely red hot form and will need to rebuild without him.

He's another one of these managers who I wouldn't mind keeping Ten Hag for his last year and seeing how he progresses and make early contact with.

tjb

A name like this could be a dark horse. It wouldn't surprise me if Ineos have some good options that nobody has considered yet.
This is my pick. Top manager that actually did well at a top club, but his style (which was productive) didn't't necessarily suit Barca's Tika Taka approach. Solid defensively, can manage egos, has managed at top leagues and can represent the club well.

When people talk about no options, the truth is there are lots...people just keep looking for shiny exciting new ideas rather than actually good managers.