Who should replace Ed Woodward as Executive Vice Chairman?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Who is even available for this? Is it down to the Glazers to recruit this person? This is essentially the link man between the football side and the Glazers.

caid

Its a glazer appointment and i dont think i care while they're in charge.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The job is to be Smithers to the Glazers' Mr Burns. Won't make much difference who does it.

David Gill or our boy Edwin Van Der Pissed Off
I don’t get the love for David Gill. Before and after the Glazers under any manager other than SAF he’d be viewed as worse then Woodward. He denied SAF so many signings it’s ridiculous. The thing about Woodward he understood that world class players = profit. David Gill never figured that out and is one of the reasons RM surpassed us in the early 00s

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It won't matter. As long as the Glazers are in charge I won't have high expectations.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Peter Kenyon.

The Red Thinker

Expect another money man hack who will care only about the bottom line and nothing else. At least Woodward was beginning to get it right in the last 2 years. But turns out his judgement was beyond horrible AGAIN, when he championed this horrendous piss pot of an idea that is the ESL.

Glazers need to go. Then expect change.

pawanraj

Hopefully Edwin van der Saar, followed by Edu.. For the bad Ed Edd and Edu jokes.

Abizzz

Someone without much pedigree so Fletcher or his eventual successor can fill the void on the footballing side.

Highlyevolved

It’s the same as a North Korean leader dying, just replaced with a younger identical leader.

As long as the Glazers are still here it’ll just be another yes man to them.

Dante

Average bang
If it's true that Woodward was going to resign at the end of the year anyway, I think it's pretty obvious that the John Murtough and Darren Fletcher appointments were about transitioning into the new power structure.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't replace him with anyone new.

wolvored

If it's true that Woodward was going to resign at the end of the year anyway, I think it's pretty obvious that the John Murtough and Darren Fletcher appointments were about transitioning into the new power structure.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't replace him with anyone new.
I was just about to say the same. The fact he was already going at the end of the season without a big fanfare suggests that for me.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The SL thing had hit the Glazer's hard PR and financial wise. We should brace ourselves to a shit summer transfer window campaign which of course will be pinned on Woodward as well. At the end of this mess, I can see us hiring VDS. He won't cost us a lot, he will be popular with the fans and his loyalty towards the club will make sure that he'll keep his mouth shut. I also believe that the Glazers days are numbered. The salary bill is too high and the margins of profit aren't what they used to be.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I have contacted the club and announced my interst in the vacant position. Let's see what they say. I'll even do it for 70% of Ed's salary

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I don’t get the love for David Gill. Before and after the Glazers under any manager other than SAF he’d be viewed as worse then Woodward. He denied SAF so many signings it’s ridiculous. The thing about Woodward he understood that world class players = profit. David Gill never figured that out and is one of the reasons RM surpassed us in the early 00s
He had a bit of class and dignity, which instantly makes him better than Woodward. Fergie really rated him too, and I trust his judgement.

InfiniteBoredom

The SL thing had hit the Glazer's hard PR and financial wise. We should brace ourselves to a shit summer transfer window campaign which of course will be pinned on Woodward as well. At the end of this mess, I can see us hiring VDS. He won't cost us a lot, he will be popular with the fans and his loyalty towards the club will make sure that he'll keep his mouth shut. I also believe that the Glazers days are numbered. The salary bill is too high and the margins of profit aren't what they used to be.
Why would VdS come here? He has a better working environment at Ajax and already set for life. A couple million quid more annually is hardly worth all the hassle with us and these owners.

AneRu

Why would VdS come here? He has a better working environment at Ajax and already set for life. A couple million quid more annually is hardly worth all the hassle with us and these owners.
Power, prestige and more money. He has stayed in Manchester before and has a history with the club whilst the job offers him an opportunity to put into practice any ideas he might have and be recognized as the man who led United out of the fiasco of this stillborn ESL.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He has made comments in the past regarding the potential United move, showing moderate interest. I doubt that he’d be Glazers’ choice though :(

dinostar77

Van Der Sarr would be an ideal appointment, but it will be a glazer croony. The said croony will probably be another woodward and make a load of mistakes in the transfer market.

Cant be david gill. Hes just accepted another 4 year stint at UEFA.

AneRu

Van Der Sarr would be an ideal appointment, but it will be a glazer croony. The said croony will probably be another woodward and make a load of mistakes in the transfer market.

Cant be david gill. Hes just accepted another 4 year stint at UEFA.
Yeah Van Der Sarr would be the ideal replacement from a fan perspective because you just know that he will do what's best for the first team, even when under restrictions.

But for the Glazers' model I think they will look at promoting Richard Arnold because their M. O demands that they have a CEO who is capable of formulating a strong financial masterplan just as Woodward was. As bad as he was from a football perspective Woodward was absolutely perfect for them leaches and they will look to bring in someone with a similar background.

CM

Another Glazer stooge, no doubt. That's why I'm not sure about the widespread celebrations when the Woodward announcement came, the next guy could just as easily be worse than him.

Siorac

I'm willing to take the job, and at a fraction of Woodward's salary. Say, 500k a year. Up to you Joel.

Sylar

Thry gonnna give it to that Arnold guy. One puppet to another.

As said, Ed going in isolation is great. But in terms of big picture, nothing changes as hes just a puppet and fall guy for Glazers

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Edwin. for me. No need to look further. (unless my application is successful ha ha)

padzilla

Hipster
It's been suggested the role isn't going to be filled anytime soon. The Glazers just saw $240m gains wiped off their shares, this isn't going to be good news for us in the summer transfer market.

future2future

It really should be VDS: United legend, experienced in the football world, excellent netwrok and a pristine reputation. Is willing to male tough choices but always puts the football first. He wants to have the capital on the field.

Balljy

That's part of their job surely. A chief executive who just said "yeah ok" every time a manager wanted a player whilst watching the debts pile up wouldn't exactly be the best at the role. You use the example of Real Madrid who are hugely in debt and needed bailing previously out to survive. Our government wouldn't have done that for us. We also broke the transfer record multiple times so saying he never got world class players is not true.

What Gill had was a good understanding with Ferguson and Ferguson also understood that he couldn't have whatever he wanted, which is the basis for that kind of relationship and the trust they obviously had for each other.

Woodward just never really got what football is actually about and the last couple of days show that to the extreme.

Wewinsoon

That's part of their job surely. A chief executive who just said "yeah ok" every time a manager wanted a player whilst watching the debts pile up wouldn't exactly be the best at the role. You use the example of Real Madrid who are hugely in debt and needed bailing previously out to survive. Our government wouldn't have done that for us. We also broke the transfer record multiple times so saying he never got world class players is not true.

What Gill had was a good understanding with Ferguson and Ferguson also understood that he couldn't have whatever he wanted, which is the basis for that kind of relationship and the trust they obviously had for each other.

Woodward just never really got what football is actually about and the last couple of days show that to the extreme.
I disagree about the last point, Woodward really have learned big time with Ole, i just wish he had not spend that much money for the 2 trainers before.
But so big chance we Will get a worse person than Ed