Who should replace Ed Woodward as Executive Vice Chairman?

Gasolin

If it's true that Woodward was going to resign at the end of the year anyway, I think it's pretty obvious that the John Murtough and Darren Fletcher appointments were about transitioning into the new power structure.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't replace him with anyone new.
So then Joel handles the commercial side himself? I mean, it was a disaster the first time, so... anyway. As long as he listens to Ole, Fletcher, Murtough, in short, the football people, for all football decisions, it's the least disastrous scenario.

red4ever 79

Wi
With the Glazers still owning the club it really doesn't matter who they replace Ed with, it will be more of the same
Will be an internal appointment and nothing will change whilst the glazers are around. We need to cut the head off the snake to get change.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Can't believe they're keeping him on til the end of the season when Giggseh's right there.

Balljy

I disagree about the last point, Woodward really have learned big time with Ole, i just wish he had not spend that much money for the 2 trainers before.
But so big chance we Will get a worse person than Ed
I'm not sure how you can say that one day after we have had to pull out of a competition that was anti-football with the main protagonists seemingly being Woodward and Perez.

We seem to have spent better under Ole generally, but that doesn't mean Woodward has learned anything it might just mean that he is being asked about different players.

ShinjiNinja26

There’s only one man for the job and that man is Edwin van der Sar!

Unfortunately it’s far more likely to be another Glazer yes man appointed internally.:rolleyes:

CG1010

People talking about Edwin or other footballing figures, but I am sure we already have those with the new DOF and Fletcher. Glazers would only need someone who can handle the business side of things. Now whether they continue the existing structure where everyone reports to Woodword replacement or the DOF also reports separately to Glazers is one key question for me. The other key one being whether the new person has already got experience in the sports industry else they will again take 3 years to figure out how to do transfer negotiations!

Balljy

People talking about Edwin or other footballing figures, but I am sure we already have those with the new DOF and Fletcher. Glazers would only need someone who can handle the business side of things. Now whether they continue the existing structure where everyone reports to Woodword replacement or the DOF also reports separately to Glazers is one key question for me. The other key one being whether the new person has already got experience in the sports industry else they will again take 3 years to figure out how to do transfer negotiations!
Agreed, this is a business appointment with other people handling the footballing side if it was done properly. Good point about the chain of command though as the DOF reporting to the CEO automatically puts them as a barrier to the chairman.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
You know Van Der Sar is the CEO of Ajax right? He's not some mug off the street.

ShinjiNinja26

Edwin Van der Sar is Ajax CEO, he’s not the DOF that would be Marc Overmars. So he’d literally be taking over the same position left by Woodward.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It will be a guy who can manage a half-billion dollar organisation. The football side of things has already been sorted out with its structure in place. So you need someone to manage the overall business but specifically overseeing the commercial/financial side of things.

I see a business -- a financial or strategic management guy. Edwin really isn't a numbers cruncher either. More marketing/football guy.

Ivan Gazidis? He's a manc isn't he?

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Would love Edwin but highly doubt he'll leave this Ajax project. It's basically like their baby and he absolutely loves it. If I were him I wouldn't do it either as long as the Glazers are here.

CG1010

You know Van Der Sar is the CEO of Ajax right? He's not some mug off the street.
Firstly I didn't call him a mug off the street, and given I am a big fan I never would! I didn't know he was the CEO but still I think the Gazers are not likely to appoint him. The head of business at Ajax and at United are two different spheres altogether. They would be interested in someone who can bring plenty of sponsorships and deals. Plus given the whole ESL fiasco, I doubt Edin wants to work under the Glazers.

Green Arrow

If they got VDS in who is a competent guy and has done a great job at Ajax. Will he be able to work with the owners and their way of thinking personally I don't think so.

Also will VDS get along with that new Murtaugh guy too who knows. That's why I think it will be an internal hire someone who has been with the club along time and knows how to work within the limits set by the owners and it could be that Arnold guy.

hungrywing

Power, prestige and more money. He has stayed in Manchester before and has a history with the club whilst the job offers him an opportunity to put into practice any ideas he might have and be recognized as the man who led United out of the fiasco of this stillborn ESL.
Hang on a minute. Did you just slip up and call potentially the greatest thing to happen to us in the past eight years a 'fiasco'?

It's a Glazer spy, boys. Get him/her/it/they.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Firstly I didn't call him a mug off the street, and given I am a big fan I never would! I didn't know he was the CEO but still I think the Gazers are not likely to appoint him. The head of business at Ajax and at United are two different spheres altogether. They would be interested in someone who can bring plenty of sponsorships and deals. Plus given the whole ESL fiasco, I doubt Edin wants to work under the Glazers.
I didn't say the Glazers will appoint him, I'd say it's very unlikely because they're dickheads. I said they should appoint him as he would do a great job, understanding as he does both the commercial and footballing sides of a giant club.

AdieH87

Give it to G Nev... passion for the club, will undoubtedly run the Glazers out of town at the first opportunity

Infra-red

One of the brains behind the UEFA CL reforms - the same reforms that we pretended to support and then surreptitiously undermined as one of the main drivers of the Super League.

I can't imagine VDS would agree to have anything at all to do with the Glazers and he certainly won't want to come in and serve as Joel Glazer's underling - he probably hates the man even more than we do!

AneRu

Hang on a minute. Did you just slip up and call potentially the greatest thing to happen to us in the past eight years a 'fiasco'?

It's a Glazer spy, boys. Get him/her/it/they.
Not sure I am getting you but I am referring to the PR fallout from our participation in this nonsense.

Acole9

Outstanding
It'll be an internal appointment. Another Glazer puppet.

RedDevilRoshi

Who I want - Edwin Van Der Sar

Who I think it will be - Matt Jude or some other Glazer ‘yes man’