Who should replace Ed Woodward as Executive Vice Chairman?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Who I want - Edwin Van Der Sar

Who I think it will be - Matt Jude or some other Glazer ‘yes man’
Hard to see Judge lasting much longer considering he was, by all accounts, Woodward's man.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dutch media are reporting Vd Sar is being considered for what it's worth. Seems like a match made in heaven honestly.

croadyman

So they know feck all, like the rest of us
Yeah fully expecting us to choose the safe option in Arnold yet again as Edwin would have far too much knowledge for those Yankee scumbags liking and his name will quickly be dismissed

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Although I agree that it's likely to be an internal appointment, getting VDS in does have advantages for the Glazers themselves.

1 - He's done a great job at Ajax. He's done very well money wise there and they'll be keen on that.
2 - Easy win with the fans. If they want to quickly get fans onside this is an easy way for them.
3 - He's been at the club during their ownership. So they may know him slightly.

Rolaholic

VDS without second thought given his qualifications/pedigree on the job and experience as a true and true football man for decades but I'm certain the Glazers will install another yes man or finance guy instead

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
It will be Murthough, Murdoch or whatever is called
Why would the position be filled with glorified scout to run a billion dollar business? This positions will be filled with a businessman (just as it should be).

tjb

Truth is none of us really know anyone, so giving names bar Van Der Sar makes not too much sense.

However, we can state the type of individual we want.

For me, I want someone with a clear understanding of what United is as a football club, preferably person that has worked with or against the club and therefore understands the cultural struggles, the transfer struggles and the negotiation struggles we have had since 2013. I would like someone who is more hands off in terms of the football side and is rarely and tries not be in the public eye. The most important challenge is ensuring that United's football side has the right support it needs without seeking glory or bragging, just simply keeping things as professional as possible, which is also part of United's culture ironically. It's important for this figure to keep the board away from the football side of things, like both Gill and Woodward did, without being a distraction themselves.

United aren't like Bayern where the board members constantly fight and take attention away from the team. We need to operate like we did under Gill, professional and out of sight....ironically, like City's are now.

LuckyScout78

I vote for Edwin Van Der Sar. My mind and feeling said him.
If I didn’t knew him before I met and see him first time. With dress on. By the look. I would judge him working in business related jobs. As ex goalkeeper i knew he was the elegance type of player and goalkeeper compare to the different world class and robust Peter the big.
Edwin does looks smart. And with glass he might be the Liverpool owner in younger days. And elegance outside the pitch. He oze elegance. Shining trough his personality. On and off the pitch. Elegance, but still had the braveness on the pitch.

So all of those things together. I’m not surprised that he has end as CEO for a club. Like I have said. Are you meant to be or not meant to be. You will find your way and path to it. It’s all written in the stars. This man will be a CEO. He does look like a guy who could work for Apple or business professor. He ends where he belong, after his football career.

The minds create the look of the face. If you are a lot anger. A lot anger mind. You will look like a angry bird.
Like Eric Cantona. You could look it’s some artist by him.

I think United shall appoint someone who knows football. Like sending a guy to buy diamond. If that guy doesn’t know a true quality or not, second level. Like football players qualities. How can he value, rate and bid a price when it comes to negotiations?
Second if you don’t know much about football. How can you evaluate DoF and The head coach?

So back to Edwin. He was a football man. But I don’t know him in person and haven’t done research about his current job in Ajax. How he is doing with the business side.
But if he does has thoughts about working as United CEO one day. Think, want and dream about it. I will not surprise me he will end up as United CEO too. He does has the relation factor. Knows the clubs and has been there factor. He is not a totally unknown man for United. It’s a advantage. Knows the club and English culture, plus a continental relations. Special Dutch talents and connections.

Reasons and factors mine mind say him. And my vote go to him.

croadyman

I vote for Edwin Van Der Sar. My mind and feeling said him.
If I didn’t knew him before I met and see him first time. With dress on. By the look. I would judge him working in business related jobs. As ex goalkeeper i knew he was the elegance type of player and goalkeeper compare to the different world class and robust Peter the big.
Edwin does looks smart. And with glass he might be the Liverpool owner in younger days. And elegance outside the pitch. He oze elegance. Shining trough his personality. On and off the pitch. Elegance, but still had the braveness on the pitch.

So all of those things together. I’m not surprised that he has end as CEO for a club. Like I have said. Are you meant to be or not meant to be. You will find your way and path to it. It’s all written in the stars. This man will be a CEO. He does look like a guy who could work for Apple or business professor. He ends where he belong, after his football career.

The minds create the look of the face. If you are a lot anger. A lot anger mind. You will look like a angry bird.
Like Eric Cantona. You could look it’s some artist by him.

I think United shall appoint someone who knows football. Like sending a guy to buy diamond. If that guy doesn’t know a true quality or not, second level. Like football players qualities. How can he value, rate and bid a price when it comes to negotiations?
Second if you don’t know much about football. How can you evaluate DoF and The head coach?

So back to Edwin. He was a football man. But I don’t know him in person and haven’t done research about his current job in Ajax. How he is doing with the business side.
But if he does has thoughts about working as United CEO one day. Think, want and dream about it. I will not surprise me he will end up as United CEO too. He does has the relation factor. Knows the clubs and has been there factor. He is not a totally unknown man for United. It’s a advantage. Knows the club and English culture, plus a continental relations. Special Dutch talents and connections.

Reasons and factors mine mind say him. And my vote go to him.
I hope he gets the job too

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I don't think he'll be that up for it in the morning :lol:
That's going too far and that guy is brain-dead. It would also make villains of the fans.

Maybe the mods should also remove this because it might break GDPR.

That's part of their job surely. A chief executive who just said "yeah ok" every time a manager wanted a player whilst watching the debts pile up wouldn't exactly be the best at the role. You use the example of Real Madrid who are hugely in debt and needed bailing previously out to survive. Our government wouldn't have done that for us. We also broke the transfer record multiple times so saying he never got world class players is not true.

What Gill had was a good understanding with Ferguson and Ferguson also understood that he couldn't have whatever he wanted, which is the basis for that kind of relationship and the trust they obviously had for each other.

Woodward just never really got what football is actually about and the last couple of days show that to the extreme.
Let’s not get it twisted. If SAF didn’t carry on winning, the news of not being approved for this or that signing would have been used to demonise Gill. SAF made it work despite always having a stingy board relative to the clubs revenue. So it’s likely he would made Woodward look a genius.

Also the same things that you said about Gill applied to Woodward. He broke the British transfer record many times, and also broke the world transfer record on one occasion. And just like Gill part of his job was also not overpaying and sometimes saying “sorry we tried but the transfer fee / wages are too high”.

Not a defence of Woodward. But I can easily see how if SAF stays and extra few years, we start spending £140m a summer, signing players in the £60-90 bracket and win titles then Woodward is suddenly seen as the hero who freed the shackles from SAF hands.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
What about hiring the J.P Morgan fella. Seems like a good mate of the Glazers and has access to a lot of cash. Hopefully, he ain't too old to do the job.

We will need all the money can get after we have our legs chopped off by the PL and UEFA.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
+1 He is brilliant, he is a winner, he is not a big spender (important for Glazers). It is such an absolutely obvious choice that it would be shocking even owners as idiotic as Glazers to feck it up and not bring him

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I'm willing to take the job, and at a fraction of Woodward's salary. Say, 500k a year. Up to you Joel.
Wrong move, mate. If you don't value yourself so badly that you are asking for 1/6th of Woodward salary, why will anybody value you enough to hire you

Greck

They'll probably bring someone from their eggball team to come and "revolutionize" the club from top to bottom. They already tried their banker

NoneBmStore

Let’s not waste VdS now. Nothing will change with our current owners. We should wait and try to get VdS once the club is sold and run like a football club, not a dividend payout scheme

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Let’s not waste VdS now. Nothing will change with our current owners. We should wait and try to get VdS once the club is sold and run like a football club, not a dividend payout scheme
So MBS then?

Who would spend $5billion and not expecting some sort of return? Whether it be financial or political? This whole thing fecked up when the league allowed the Glazers to buy United based on an LBO. Now its almost impossible to get rid of the cnuts. It will be the lesser of two evils solution/future.

So if the Glazers are smart they would get VdS to pacify the fans (or customers in their eyes). But unfortunately, they are quite tone-deaf.

Last edited:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Sadly it remains highly unlikely the club gets sold, so might as well wish for the best option there is.