Who should we be watching for?

Bearded but no genius

Last year it was Rossi to explode out of the reserves and begin to stake his place as a United player of the future.

Who will it be this year, reserve-watchers?

And how long do players like David Jones and others who have been on the scene for several years have to make an impact? Is this David's year?

TheRedFlag

Not feeling himself tonight
Yeah, watch for Martin, he looks very clever on the ball and has a great name...

(Lee Martin :D )

Bearded but no genius

I hope Martin will make it eventually. The little clips I've seen of him on MU.tv have made him look like potentially something special.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't get the fuss over Martin, everytime I've seen him he's not stood out, yet everyone goes on about how great he is.

Gibson could be one to watch, along with the young lad who partnered Rossi for the second half of last season, who's name I can't remember

Bearded but no genius

So. Lee Martin.

He's surely a year away from getting a chance in the League Cup, right?

Or do reserves , youth, and academy watchers reckon he will be this year's new blood in the LC? I would expect more of Ritchie Jones, David Jones (back from his loan), and maybe a couple of others who have already gotten senior appearances.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Lee Martin played in the League cup last season, and got injured.

I don't see much in Ritchie Jones. David Jones is far better, except it's getting a bit late for him

Big season for Pique and Bardsley. Too good for the reserves, not yet up to the standards of their first team counterparts. Loanees maybe

Bearded but no genius

noodlehair said:
Lee Martin played in the League cup last season, and got injured.

I don't see much in Ritchie Jones. David Jones is far better, except it's getting a bit late for him

Big season for Pique and Bardsley. Too good for the reserves, not yet up to the standards of their first team counterparts. Loanees maybe
I completely forgot about Lee Martin playing in the LC. Which game was he in? I have drawn a complete blank.

For some reason I always imagine he's a year or so younger than he is.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
jasonrh said:
I completely forgot about Lee Martin playing in the LC. Which game was he in? I have drawn a complete blank.

For some reason I always imagine he's a year or so younger than he is.
Some crap team. Barnet, I think

He flatters to decieve. There must be somethng there I'm missing

Bearded but no genius

noodlehair said:
Some crap team. Barnet, I think

He flatters to decieve. There must be somethng there I'm missing
Dunno.

I for some reason can't remember the Barnet game, and the clips have been against reserve and academy teams.

I would be interested in what those who have seen him in complete games for the reserves think of him.

Bearded but no genius

noodlehair said:
I don't get the fuss over Martin, everytime I've seen him he's not stood out, yet everyone goes on about how great he is.

Gibson could be one to watch, along with the young lad who partnered Rossi for the second half of last season, who's name I can't remember
Frasier Campbell?

If its true we've let go of Blake to Plymouth, then perhaps they see a real future for Campbell, or at least enough of one to expect him to start most of the time rather than Blake.

M160RA

Lee Martin...if Ronaldo fecks off, then he might just get his chance. Gibson in the FA Cup and League Cup games will be interesting to see. I'm excited to see how Campbell will grow in stature...he has far more natural talent than Blake does. Jonny Evans, I have a feeling, is on his way to Antwerp.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
jasonrh said:
Frasier Campbell?

If its true we've let go of Blake to Plymouth, then perhaps they see a real future for Campbell, or at least enough of one to expect him to start most of the time rather than Blake.
That's the one

he's got some talent. Made the step up easily from the youth team. Looking foward to seeing more of him
Blake scored loads of goals, but then so did Nardiello, who now plays for some lower league team.
When you see a fit first teamer play for the reserves, it really gives you an idea of how big the gap is. Basically, you have to be running the show if you've got any real hope of making it.

Gibson is 18 or 19 I think

Bearded but no genius

Nardiello always had a serious attitude problem by all accounts. Those played a big part in him ending up cack. I don't think Blake or Campbell seem to have those sort of issues.

But the gap is huge, I will agree there.

Danish Wizard

I really hope that Lee Martin will get a few chances with the first team this season. He is a great prospect..

Tribec

The sleeper in the team for me is going to be Danny Simpson. Just before his move to Belgium last season, he started to put in some fine performances, and I was more than pleased with him. It will be interesting to see how the spell abroad has done him, and perhaps he'll come home and challenge a bit.

I know we are quite full of defensive talent at the club and more so young defenders, but Simpson has something going for him. He's got a great engine and reminds me in a way of the Brazilian full backs, in terms of energy and being able to bomb forward and getting back.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
btw i think one lad who may make a few reserve run outs this year and impress is Johnny Evans. Very talented defender.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I've seen Campbell and was not impressed at all, seems to be a very lazy player. He's got pace and is a good dribbler, but that's it imo.

I have very high hopes for Lee Martin though, would love to see him in the first team from time to time next season, he will make it, i'm sure of that, as will Jones, Rossi and Pique hopefully

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
the next generation of fledglings i hope. If rossi and pique make the step up this year i hope jones campbell and martin do the same next

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think he's back now, though not 100% sure

He looks to me like another Chris Eagles. I hope I'm wrong, I often am.
I remember there being a big fuss when we first bought him. He got loads of praise for his performances the season before last, which I didn't see much of

Longlivekeano

I knda like the look of our United left back at Antwerp, Adam Eckersley. Looks like a wiry player, solid, goes up to support well. Looks a mixture of Henize (in the 'mental' aspcet) and irwin (reliable without jumping in mad tackles like Gabby). Ithink he 's gona get a sniff of first team action thi syear in the Carling Cup

londonredmaniac

Man Utd Mrs said:
Eckersley has impressed me as well.
he's very "solid"..............never backs off from a challenge.............
the young German looked good from the clips on youtube, didnt we release him on a free?

londonredmaniac

KaiserSoze666 said:
He wanted first team football which we couldn't guarantee so was allowed to leave
I can understand his frustrations but i think he would have got more a chance this season after what he showed in the reserves. Having said that if things work out at wolfsburg for him...

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
londonredmaniac said:
Having said that if things work out at wolfsburg for him...
they won't as he's at duisburg. he had the skill, but not the mentality. mulensteen made him reserves captain last season to see what he was made of, and he didn't step up

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Many of the players mentioned will probably go out on loan.....Jonny Evans, Gibson, Simpson, Martin, Campbell.....so it's hard to say who will make the step up.......

Watch out for the young Northern Ireland defender Craig Cathcart......has looked very impressive in central defence....