Who wants Rooney gone and who wants him to stay

Wayne Rooney - do you want him to stay or go?

• Stay

Votes: 270 23.9%
  • Go

Votes: 706 62.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 153 13.6%

• Total voters

032Devil

This should be a poll but I don't know how to set that up.

For a long while now the anti-Rooney brigade here have been airing their dislike of one the club's (and the country's), best player. Even now, I believe that ever club in the Premiership would take him with open arms.

My view is that although he is not the player he was a few seasons ago, he is still a valuable asset and deserves to be in the team ahead of others in the squad.

Do you want him in or out? And why do you hold that opinion.

rpitchfo

I want him gone because he's just not very good anymore. Add that to a 300k a week wage and it's a no brainer.

If we have serious ambitions regarding re-joining the top 4 we can't hold onto Wayne.

Von Mistelroum

He isn't up to the quality we should be at now. He earns far too much for a player who is well past his prime, and I think he's holding us back.

If we could put Mkh in the AM position and get someone like Draxler for the wing, Rooney should go and we'd be much better for it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Still a very good player and could have a big impact under Mourinho if he gets some rejuvenation as I expect. I could see him getting 10-15 goals which would be a good return in the number 10 role and his leadership and winning mentality is still very much needed with the current squad. He's also still by far the best captain we have and despite what others say he's highly rated in the role by his fellow professionals.

All that said, he's not the player he once was and if China put in a £30-40 million offer we would be mad not to sell purely because of his large wages and the fact he's no spring chicken. I would like him to stay tho and really prove his doubters wrong.

derace

He will have to prove himself this year. I'm sure he still can deliver and bang in 20goals in all competitions.

Classical Mechanic

I have got a feeling this will be his last season with us. I think Jose's comments in the press conference set his stall in letting Rooney know who is boss and who is making the decisions. It was interesting that team Rooney seemingly leaked an article the next day saying that he was happy to play as a forward.

If Rooney doesn't perform I see him getting benched.

I want him gone, just.

He still has ability but his stranglehold over the club is damaging. He's no longer good enough to lead the team but he still holds that status, and it seems like no-one dares challenge it.

I don't care about the financial implications as we make so much money now, but there's no way he's worth 300k a week or even close.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
It's a tricky one. There are times when I think we could do much better, then he has a game like the FA cup final and I think we would have been lost without him.

He has a massive problem with consistency and takes a long time to find form after an injury. Hopefully if he stays Mourinho will be more willing to drop him than LVG was.

SSSSnake

Personally I want to see how he plays under Jose so one more year for me. After that, if he doesn't perform then sell him to China or Everton and free up that 300k p/w.

AlwaysRed66

If he stays he should have a massive wage cut & be a squad player. Trouble is no one will pay the obscene fees he is currently receiving.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Gone

300k a week for the crap performances he puts in every week? No thanks

There's no doubt under LVG, Moyes and England he was holding the team back because of his presence.

Nickosaur

I look at potential line-ups of our rivals, then look at ours. Rooney sticks out like a sore thumb. The excitement, the consistency, the threat he used to carry, it's all gone. Mourinho may be able to get that back, I don't know.

soapythecat

Is the OP drunk? I doubt Rooney would get into half of the sides in the PL. He is invisible as captain for both club and country and his productivity and effectiveness for a player of his supposedly calipers and wages is shocking.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I want him gone.

No longer good enough to be a regular starter (in whatever position)

And if he's not a regular starter I can imagine him being disruptive.

English players who are better than Rooney?

Based on league form quite a lot.
I struggle to think of any who make a genuine case for being better than him for longer than a single season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If a team offered good money and he was willing to leave, it would be criminal not to sell.
Next year, he'll be 32 and I doubt he'd be worth anything.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I struggle to think of any who make a genuine case for being better than him for longer than a single season.
Who cares if it's not longer than a season. There are a host of English players I'd pick in a team ahead of Rooney right now. How is is even a debate?

Edit: It's not like Rooney was Teri b shit up in previous seasons.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Well unless you have a different definition of "now" or "form" to me I'm not sure there's anything more relevant than the latest season.

Not to mention that he's not been good for a few seasons now so I don't know why he should get the benefit of being judged on his performances from years ago.

C'est Moi Cantona

I was please Jose said he wouldn't be a midfielder, but the reason he was dropped back there was becasue he wasn't good enough as a striker anymore, so what use do we really have for him now? None, so gone.

Slavkov

If he somehow miraculously manages to improve his game I'd rather he stayed because despite all the stupidities he has done during the last 5-6 years he is a legend of the club and has done so much for us. Nevertheless he is too influential a figure and receives huge wages to be a fringe player at the club. The atmosphere in the dressing room would be very very low because of him and he would do only harm. Regrettably he is only good for a bit part player at the moment. If we managed to sell him to a Chinese club that would be the deal of the century...

Varun

Staff
Ah, just read the OP. I hold this opinion as he's utterly average and given his stature at the club, it still makes him an automatic starter which is ridiculous.

micksjoiner

Wayne Rooney is beyond repair, thanks and goodbye,
nothing much more to say.

bubbles_

When you're putting together a United 11 for a game you start to think "that's a good side!" then it dawns on you that you haven't put Rooney in. You start changing everything around to slot him in where he can do the least damage. It's ludicrous that he's still here

OneUnited24

One of the worst decisions Moyes made... Which says something.

SAF was right on the money when he dropped him in his final season, Rooney was on decline and should have been replaced. He just looks burnt out, it all started around 2013 a time when he should have been entering his prime. I think all the games as a kid just took their total. Still maybe one season under Jose might give him a new breath of life

psychdelicblues

I look at potential line-ups of our rivals, then look at ours. Rooney sticks out like a sore thumb. The excitement, the consistency, the threat he used to carry, it's all gone. Mourinho may be able to get that back, I don't know.
Indeed.... he would be significant weak link of the attacking front 4. I'm glad Jose put to bed any ideas of him being a 'midfield general'.

paulscholes18

Cash out, the amount of money Chinese teams are throwing around we could even make a profit on him.
If Pogba comes in we should play 4-3-3 and I can't see a place for Rooney