Who wants Rooney gone and who wants him to stay

Wayne Rooney - do you want him to stay or go?

• Stay

Votes: 270 23.9%
  • Go

Votes: 706 62.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 153 13.6%

• Total voters

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Stay one more season. If Jose can't get any sort of form out of him then he can do one.

Has a good manager and better players around him for this season. Make or break season for me.

worldinmotion66

He should go just so we can stop talking about agendas.

Where was he in the final up until that run? It was a shit Palace team and somehow with his brilliant leadership and dominating performance they went ahead. Where was he in the second half against Everton? Was that him being dominated by Darren Gibson? It looked a lot like him. Where are we getting this character and leadership nonsense from? This is the character that announced a transfer request before a Champions League game. What leadership? We've been a spineless mess since he took over as captain, we've utterly lacked fight and drive. He was the captain that stood watching Harry Kane take freekick after freekick. The captain that watched us give up the fight all last season. The captain that gave the ball away at the edge of the box then stood screaming into the faces of a very nervous teenager and a very nervous Smalling in the Leicester debacle. There's no evidence he's a good leader outside of the utter nonsense LVG talked.

Never mind though. I just have an agenda, nothing at all to do with putting the team ahead of a player that no longer offers anything.

At this point I'd just catapult him into the sea, just so we never have to fit him into the team and essentially be a player short again.
This is why I say an agenda, because you are singling Rooney out when there are nine other outfield players there that deserve some blame, as well as an inept manager giving instructions. He clearly showed character and leadership in taking it upon himself to do something he's not been instructed to do, and run with the ball to create something from nothing - that wasn't his role in the team, yet he did that to get us back in the game and consequently win the FA Cup. And to say that he doesn't show fight is ridiculous, he always tries if nothing else.

I'm not saying he's deserving of a place in the team, that's for a professional manager to decide. But I personally would like to see him stay at the club, as I still think he has something to offer that could be difficult to replace. There were very few positives gained from last season, so I often feel it unfair to single out players when it should be collective blame. Daley Blind had a great season tarnished by a few defensive errors and a terrible game against West Ham, yet the majority here want to see the back of him based on short termism and negatice memories. There are fans not averse to letting Herrera go despite him performing well the season before and showing real promise. There are still tose that don't see the value in Fellaini despite watching our capitulation against West Ham at the end of the season. Too many are too quick to judge. You can have an opinion that isn't agenda but to see all the negative of Rooney without at least acknowledging the positive just doesn't sit right with me.

If you want to see Rooney go, that's fine. Put don't dismiss him in contempt as if he's dirt under your shoe. He;s been a great servant to the club during success and failure. His contribution to Manchester United is such that I would like to see him given a chance under Mourinho. That is all.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Get him out. The sooner the better.

worldinmotion66

Rooney was given a long term contract on a 300k a week. No one will ever give him that salary apart from some club in China and considering Rooney's nature I doubt he would be interested. Therefore our opinion on the matter is hardly relevant at this point.

I think that Mou is handling this well. Instead of causing friction with the player which may cause an open war in the dressing room, Mou is giving Rooney a chance without actually bending over backwards to accommodate Rooney's new 'circumstances'. In this present setup Rooney will start as a first teamer (I can't see anyone good enough to take his no 10 role) and its up to him to defend his role. Thinking about it, it benefits both side of the camp. Rooney will start as a first teamer and we will have an experienced head which is beneficial in times of change
Good post.

clarkydaz

People are saying he made a respectable attacking contribution last season despite playing in midfield? good lord, he was main striker for most of it!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I'd want him to stay if he's used accordingly to his performances on the pitch, not because of his name alone. But I feel like the past 3-4 years throughout Moyes and LVG tenure he's been getting a spot in the first team due to circumstances (and his unbelievable luck) rather than his own performances.

To elaborate on this, the past 3 years since we've had Moyes and LVG, I feel like he was given a spot in the first team due to both managers being new and not attempting to shake too much with Rooney being a key figure in the club and especially to the media. Neither didn't want to throw themselves into controversies by avoiding to deal with Rooney's performances issues as they should have(not good enough performances) and just let him be.

This is where I feel his unbelievable luck come into play. Rooney could have seen himself as a bench warmer or out of the club as early as 3-4 years ago when SAF realized he wasn't good enough anymore and wanted to rid of him. However, fortune smiled upon Rooney and SAF retired leaving Rooney safe. Now with a new manager coming in, Moyes nonetheless, he wouldn't want to do anything too drastic at his new club, especially something as big as shafting Rooney or selling him.

Hence the first thing we had with Moyes was trying to tie down Rooney to a long term contract(which lead to that ridiculous 300k a week salary) in order for him to make a statement and not get into the media crossfire. From that point on Rooney didn't need to play on performances or merit but name alone. Moyes was always going to play safe in regard to a big name like Rooney(a time bomb of the media for new managers to try and mess around with).

Even if a manager sees that Rooney's performances aren't up to par, due to circumstances they'd at least try to show the world and media that Rooney is still their(favored) player and will play him to avoid being over scrutinized and lambasted by the media. The best possible solution is to let Rooney performances do all the talking which have been quite bad the past 4 years or so(even more) then when he starts getting shafted slowly it feels natural and while the media will still whine about it and over sensationalize everything, it won't be as bad as shafting him out from the get go.

Unfortunately the past 3 years we haven't had a stable manager thus making the strategy mentioned impossible. New manager comes in after a year or 2 then we press the restart button with Rooney. Managers have to play him to let the world(media) know that they gave him a chance and progressively shaft him if needed be.

This is why I'd find it favorable if Rooney could have been seen off of something because there wouldn't be this need to play him on name alone. And yes even Mourinho will start with Rooney as a regular starter on name alone to avoid all the predictable media circus which in turn is just another reset button in regard to Rooney. Mou will have to work his way in convincing everyone again that Wayne isn't up to par anymore throughout the season until he pushes him aside but it comes at the cost of wasting another season or two.

This is why Rooney has been unbelievably lucky. Had SAF stayed around for a bit longer or had we had a stable competent manager that lasted 3 years, Rooney wouldn't have been in his current situation where he is facing another prospect of being a regular in our team on name alone despite lackluster performances year in year out for the past 5 years or so.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't really blame Rooney of what had happened. He was right in questioning the club's ambition when it refused to bring quality signings during the value strategy and its not his fault that a desperate Man United had offered him a long term contract on a ridiculous salary. TBF he shouldn't have pushed for a transfer because of the former, however, we're in this mess not because of Rooney but because of a series of bad decisions we have made (Value strategy, Moyes, LVG etc)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Still really don't understand how people can think Rooney was poor under Moyes. He was our best player by a mile and was one of the only players to look bothered. Of course that doesn't fit the caf narrative that Rooney has been declining for 10 years tho.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I don't really blame Rooney of what had happened. He was right in questioning the club's ambition when it refused to bring quality signings during the value strategy and its not his fault that a desperate Man United had offered him a long term contract on a ridiculous salary. TBF he shouldn't have pushed for a transfer because of the former, however, we're in this mess not because of Rooney but because of a series of bad decisions we have made (Value strategy, Moyes, LVG etc)
Apart from the fact he admitted to his teammates it had nothing to do with thclubs ambition or lack of, and was all about getting more money?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
:lol::lol: its ground hog day!
Rooney will score 15/20 goals this season is becoming our version of its our year.
Give it until January and the usual suspects will be claiming he could be a great midfielder and we should play him there :lol:
Pretty much this !!!

The past 3-4 years it's been this way, and the funny thing is how predictable it has become.

We start with "Give him another year", "He'll score 15/20 goals" then he bombs as a striker, then people come up with remarks that he is actually better as a 10 to which he fails to deliver upon being given the chance which leads to people suggesting for him to play in midfield then things go from bad to worst, rinse and repeat.

I'm not even surprised seeing these talks about him being given another year and chance under Mou, that's all people have been saying the past 3 years.

Art Vandelay

This is why I say an agenda, because you are singling Rooney out when there are nine other outfield players there that deserve some blame, as well as an inept manager giving instructions. He clearly showed character and leadership in taking it upon himself to do something he's not been instructed to do, and run with the ball to create something from nothing - that wasn't his role in the team, yet he did that to get us back in the game and consequently win the FA Cup. And to say that he doesn't show fight is ridiculous, he always tries if nothing else.

I'm not saying he's deserving of a place in the team, that's for a professional manager to decide. But I personally would like to see him stay at the club, as I still think he has something to offer that could be difficult to replace. There were very few positives gained from last season, so I often feel it unfair to single out players when it should be collective blame. Daley Blind had a great season tarnished by a few defensive errors and a terrible game against West Ham, yet the majority here want to see the back of him based on short termism and negatice memories. There are fans not averse to letting Herrera go despite him performing well the season before and showing real promise. There are still tose that don't see the value in Fellaini despite watching our capitulation against West Ham at the end of the season. Too many are too quick to judge. You can have an opinion that isn't agenda but to see all the negative of Rooney without at least acknowledging the positive just doesn't sit right with me.

If you want to see Rooney go, that's fine. Put don't dismiss him in contempt as if he's dirt under your shoe. He;s been a great servant to the club during success and failure. His contribution to Manchester United is such that I would like to see him given a chance under Mourinho. That is all.
This is why it's ludicrous for people to keep going on about agendas. Why would I be singling out anyone but Rooney in a thread about Rooney? Are the 9 other outfield players getting credit in here for winning us the FA Cup? Are they being credited with having good character and leadership? Plus why should Rooney be judged on the standards of everyone else last season when management didn't treat him like everyone else? He was never in danger of being dropped for playing poorly, the team was changed to accommodate him and yet he still failed to rise above everyone else. The negatives with him far outweigh the positives. It's been years since he actually offered consistent positives.

It's not an agenda to watch someone under perform for years and believe he's no longer good enough and it's not an agenda to talk about him while not mentioning others in threads dedicated to him.

Dismissed as dirt under a shoe? He'd have done the same to United when he asked to go to City if we'd allowed it when he was claiming we weren't good enough. Now he's not good enough, why should it be any different? I don't care about Wayne Rooney's feelings, he's a millionaire that's had a career doing something most would do for free. I care about Manchester United and I see him as being detrimental to Manchester United. Good player for us in the past, doesn't mean we owe him anything now.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Still really don't understand how people can think Rooney was poor under Moyes. He was our best player by a mile and was one of the only players to look bothered. Of course that doesn't fit the caf narrative that Rooney has been declining for 10 years tho.
That he was our best player doesnt mean he was good, and DDG was comfortably better by the way. When it mattered, Rooney didnt turn up, which has been characterising him for a while.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's in the club's official season review book. John O'Shea told the author that Rooney had apologised to the team, saying that he'd only said those things in order to get a new contract.

psychdelicblues

Apart from the fact he admitted to his teammates it had nothing to do with thclubs ambition or lack of, and was all about getting more money?

To commemorate our 19th title, official club writer Steve Bartram compiled Champ19ns, a book about United’s turbulent season and as expected amongst other things the Rooney situation is touched upon.

John O’Shea offers up his opinion in the book and the snippet proves very intriguing reading,

“It transpired it was just an interesting technique of getting a new deal. (said in jest)

“I think Wayne, if he could turn back the clock, might do things a bit differently, but both parties were happy in the end.

“He came [into the Carrington dressing room after signing his new deal] and apologised to everyone. He said he’d done what he had to do, basically, and he was sorry if he had offended anybody. Obviously there were a few comments that will stay in the dressing room. They were quite smart and funny, but all friendly.”
http://thebusbyway.com/2011/06/30/there-were-a-few-comments-that-will-stay-in-the-dressing-room/

BIGbadBOO4

He is not worth 300k or 250k a week, it's a joke.
Secondly he should not be near 1st elven.
So sell if we get another offer.
I would only keep if he signs a team friendly contract I.e. 80k a week and accepts he is a squad player.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Mate you're talking a bit of nonsense here. Rooney exploded at the start of the season in that Moyes tenure then predictably disappeared in the second half of the season and went MIA(He always has his patches of few games where he looks like a top player every year which is what often blind some people to his generally bad performances overall throughout an entire season.). The player that had a breakthrough season was young Adnan and was our most stand out in field performer that year.

We finished 7th that year, there is no angle from which you can say Rooney was some standout performer, it's absolutely nonsense.

chb23

If u see line ups from people, they generally "try" to fit him in because the expectation is that no manager has the balls to drop him. Not that he is good enough to be starting. That tells me everything. Needs to go.

Green_Red

Ive never known a player at United to get the kind of abuse Rooney gets from a section of fans.

Id love to see a map of the world that shows where all the votes in this poll are coming from.

peridigm

I honestly wanted him gone when he acted up in Fergie's last season. Was apparent he was only thinking of himself. How he managed another fat contract at United is ridiculous. LVG making him captain further strengthened his untouchable attitude. Confident Jose will do right by United and not Rooney.

Dir Wangem

If China comes knocking with a fat check: gone
If he's fine with being a squad player and China doesn't offer us anything special: stay for another season

If he expects to be a starter, then he better fecking rediscover himself, because right now he's simply not good enough.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I touched on this in the tweets forum - would rather see Gotze in and Rooney out to China. Net spend of zero and a younger, more hungry player able to play right/central.

devilish

John o'shea
Saf mouthpiece. It would be more interesting to know how a player with such limited talent managed to even make it with United let alone staying for so long

I guess Rooney criticism regarding lack of quality must have hurt someone who oozed avergeness from every side

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Saf mouthpiece. It would be more interesting to know how a player with such limited talent managed to even make it with United let alone staying for so long
Oh please, that entire play reeks of scumbag stretfords manoeuvring. When you look at his reaction to being sidelined by rvp it shows he has no interest In what's best for the club, only what's best for Wayne.

anidea

One more season for rooney. He will be pumped and give it his all for mourinho. No. 10 interchanging with martial & Micki in front three. Wow, we will have so many goal scoring options upfront this season.

devilish

Oh please, that entire play reeks of scumbag stretfords manoeuvring. When you look at his reaction to being sidelined by rvp it shows he has no interest In what's best for the club, only what's best for Wayne.
All I'm saying that I won't be surprised if o'shea took Rooney's criticism about lack of quality in the side pretty personal.

Also Rooney isn't the only player who was demonised after daring questioning the clubs quality. Keane and rvn comes to mind

dichinero

Gone

-We can get half of the Pogba money if China bids, won't be worth jack next year.
-Player in decline and least likely to improve, apart from Fellaini.
-As a #10, I'd like to see other players. I'm bored of Rooney there. Time to switch it up. I believe an extended run with Mata there will be more fruitful, or Pereira perhaps?
- We don't have 3 months to wait for him to hit "form" or find a new position.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
All I'm saying that I won't be surprised if o'shea took Rooney's criticism about lack of quality in the side pretty personal.

Also Rooney isn't the only player who was demonised after daring questioning the clubs quality. Keane and rvn comes to mind
I take your point but in a team sport throwing your teammates under the bus like that for the sake of a pay rise is inexcusable

Morpheus 7

I wish the nightmare would end and he would just move on. He's a waste of money and a position. We won't truly move on till he does. He's a complete waste having him in our starting 11. His wages are too high and no team would take him with them demands, except some Chinese club which he won't be prepared to drop too.

It's such a shame, possibly moving Mata on but keeping him(I know the history with Jose and Juan). The fact people that still want him, knowing that he won't be a midfielder piss me off. It's make you wonder how much they have watched him in the last few seasons. Nostalgia can only get you so far with Wayne, people should come to the realisation that he's awful. His decline is sad because he was such a great player at a time. I just hope that Jose figures out he's finished sooner rather than later. I think this will be his last season with the club, thank god. He will probably play 30 games and beat Sir Bobby's record by one goal.

devilish

I take your point but in a team sport throwing your teammates under the bus like that for the sake of a pay rise is inexcusable
I said that rooney overreacted. However his arguments at the time were right. Also I wouldn't take the word of o'shea as bible. It's pretty obvious he had a vested interest in putting Rooney is a bad light after what he said.

In my opinion Rooney should have shut up and just handled his transfer request. It's not his role to comment about the club decisions

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I doubt we'll be getting someone in to replace him directly right now and there are other players we need to flog more urgently. Plus, despite his regular poor performances over the past couple of years he still contributes more than a lot of others. I say keep him for now and have faith in Mourinho have the cojones to drop him if he deserves to be dropped. The problem isn't Rooney, per se, it's that Moyes and Van Gaal guaranteed him a place in the team regardless of form.