Who wants Rooney gone and who wants him to stay

Wayne Rooney - do you want him to stay or go?

• Stay

Votes: 270 23.9%
  • Go

Votes: 706 62.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 153 13.6%

• Total voters

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
One more season just so he can get the record?
The reality is he will not be sold anytime soon, I for one would like to see the record broken. Next season will be the better time to assess his place at United, I do agree with the sentiment that he is no longer good enough for a team trying to compete at the highest level.

RC89

Four weeks ago, I wanted him gone. Now I'm unsure, with the quality we've already got in and IF we can sign Pogba, I'm hoping he may feel less burdened by the responsibility of trying to be the main man and can just play freely as a striker or a 10 and focus on getting goals.

worldinmotion66

I think people have an agenda against Rooney, subconsciously or otherwise. If Martial or Herrera had played as he did in the FA Cup final, they'd be lauded and it would still be talked about - the run to create the goal and his general drive to drag us back into the match, his goal line clearance in the semi against Everton etc. His performances went a long way in winning us that trophy.

Now, I'm not saying that he is worth the money he earns, far from it. But in terms of his character, leadership, marketability and footballing ability, he's still an important part of the club. I'd like to see him break the goalscoring record and prove his doubters wrong, or failing that, be eased out of the first team over the next season or two. He won't be made indispensable as was the case under Van Gaal, he'll have to earn his place. As it should always be.

RC89

With Ibra, Martial, Mkhitaryan and Rooney as our attacking quartet there's potential for a lot of goals... on paper.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Time for Mourinho to be ruthless. If Sir Alex didn't retire, Rooney would have been axed. Moyes pulled him right back in, and LvG made him invincible.

Sell. Won't happen but it should. The Rooney era should have ended a couple of years ago.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Still one of out better players for me but needs to be played as an advanced 10. Think he will hit 15+ goals in that position this year feeding of Zlatan. Will be unpopular opinion but he just so much better than Mata for that position.

Ddg
Valencia Bailey Smalling Blind (Shaw will be eased in)
Bastian new Signing
Micky Rooney Martial
Zlatan

Romero
Shaw
Jones
TFM
Morgan
Carrick
Herrera
Memphis
Mata
Lingard
Rashford
Rojo
Darmain
Adnan
Fellaini

Good squad but expect 3-4 to be sold -Rojo Darmain Adnan Herrera Mata Memphis Bastian Fellaini all prime candidates but I hopefully he sticks with Bastian and plays him if he's fit

Well unless you have a different definition of "now" or "form" to me I'm not sure there's anything more relevant than the latest season.

Not to mention that he's not been good for a few seasons now so I don't know why he should get the benefit of being judged on his performances from years ago.
Last season on a per game basis he pretty much matched or bettered any other English player for attacking contribution excluding goals (he still got 8).

Not bad for a player who's past it and was playing in midfield.

He's disliked because he's not world class like he once was, and he's seen as the latest figurehead of yet another failed English generation.

waza7111

He's been woeful for about three seasons now. This is clearly a player in decline and he will continue to get worse.

settembrini

When you're putting together a United 11 for a game you start to think "that's a good side!" then it dawns on you that you haven't put Rooney in. You start changing everything around to slot him in where he can do the least damage. It's ludicrous that he's still here
This.

It's incredibly hard to see a team with Rooney as a starting player competing for the league. And benching him isn't a good option because of his insane contract and friends in the media.

robinrooney

As said by others, he is not good enough to be in the starting line up any more. Doesn't score or assist enough, offers nothing else. Sell him to the Chinese or Yanks

WyoManU

Should've gone a few years ago. I think he has become more of a problem for the club with his stature and wages while providing only average performances on the pitch. I suspect that this year will be very tough for him. Mourinho will bench him a lot more than he is used to, which will upset his overinflated ego, leading to his departure next summer.

suheilsworld

I would like to see him under Jose for a year. Still think Jose might get the best out of him. If there is no improvement till Jan, we can sell him then or just bench him till next season for him to just walk out of the club.

pacifictheme

Voted stay but depends on what role he is prepared to accept. If he is happy being a squad player (and who gives a feck about wages) then perfect. Hes been a great player who can pass on some help to rashford and others. Plus he knows the club inside out and there are few players left who do. I really value that, someone has to give a shit.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Last season on a per game basis he pretty much matched or bettered any other English player for attacking contribution excluding goals (he still got 8).

Not bad for a player who's past it and was playing in midfield.
He really didn't. Long passes to the wing aren't a great attacking contribution.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I do think we should give him a squad role under Mourinho, just because I don't see him fetching much of a transfer fee other than from China and he wouldn't go there.

kps88

Voted stay but depends on what role he is prepared to accept. If he is happy being a squad player (and who gives a feck about wages) then perfect. Hes been a great player who can pass on some help to rashford and others. Plus he knows the club inside out and there are few players left who do. I really value that, someone has to give a shit.
Yep I voted go but have no problems with him staying if he becomes a squad player. The problem is the last time he was dropped to the bench (by SAF against Madrid) he kicked up a fuss and wanted to leave. An unhappy club captain wouldn't be good for the dressing room.

I'm up and down like a yo-yo with Rooney. According to how he went in his last game, my opinion wavers. Unfortunately his last game was Iceland and my view of Rooney is at an all time low.

Xign

I am quite confident Mourinho wouldn't fall into the "Rooney must play" 'philosophy' that LVG had. So if he stays and doesn't play well he'll be dropped.

nazanto

He want to break the record. We will get few penalties here and there this season. Let him get the goals from penalties and be done with it. And then just said to him "You have the record now Wayne. Now will you please feck off"

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Gone

250k a week and he is not good enough to play for us anymore

The worst mistake of the Moyes era and that is saying something

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I wouldn't begrudge him the record goalscorer achievement so would keep him one more year, only for that so long as he wasn't a guaranteed starter. I would be really pissed if his name was on the team sheet every week unless he starts banging in the goals of course.

I just hope Mourinho does the right thing and starts his reign on the right foot.

baanke laal

banned
@Niall is there a glitch in voting system? I was able to vote twice, once via the side-widget on the homepage & another vote via the poll in this thread.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
:lol::lol: its ground hog day!
Rooney will score 15/20 goals this season is becoming our version of its our year.
Give it until January and the usual suspects will be claiming he could be a great midfielder and we should play him there :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I love how you have an agenda if you think that Rooney should leave.

Martia11

Mourinho might prefer to sort the Rooney issue next summer. He might not take the risk of dumping his captain in the very first season as he is still highly respected by players and pundits. He might want to phase him out this season. Rooney would help the new signings to bed in. He might prefer to make the Rooney replacement his marquee signing next summer.

This is what I think will happen. If it was up to me, I had want this situation to be sorted as soon as possible.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
:lol::lol: its ground hog day!
Rooney will score 15/20 goals this season is becoming our version of its our year.
Give it until January and the usual suspects will be claiming he could be a great midfielder and we should play him there :lol:
I was genuinely shocked when I was having that discussion in 14/15 at the end of the season, people who actually though that Rooney would score 20+ goals, great delusion.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
I have no problem with him staying and slugging it out for a starting spot with our other strikers to fight for his place but if he has this so called clause in his contract that he must play Id rather he was moved on.

His performances havent ben up to the standard over the last few years.Put yourself in the other players position trying to get a run in the team,your playing well,scoring goals,on less money and you've got some other guy not pulling his weight in the team,getting a lot more money and game time than you while your stuck on the bench,it would only be a matter of time before you'd get fed up and want first team football.

Art Vandelay

I think people have an agenda against Rooney, subconsciously or otherwise. If Martial or Herrera had played as he did in the FA Cup final, they'd be lauded and it would still be talked about - the run to create the goal and his general drive to drag us back into the match, his goal line clearance in the semi against Everton etc. His performances went a long way in winning us that trophy.

Now, I'm not saying that he is worth the money he earns, far from it. But in terms of his character, leadership, marketability and footballing ability, he's still an important part of the club. I'd like to see him break the goalscoring record and prove his doubters wrong, or failing that, be eased out of the first team over the next season or two. He won't be made indispensable as was the case under Van Gaal, he'll have to earn his place. As it should always be.
He should go just so we can stop talking about agendas.

Where was he in the final up until that run? It was a shit Palace team and somehow with his brilliant leadership and dominating performance they went ahead. Where was he in the second half against Everton? Was that him being dominated by Darren Gibson? It looked a lot like him. Where are we getting this character and leadership nonsense from? This is the character that announced a transfer request before a Champions League game. What leadership? We've been a spineless mess since he took over as captain, we've utterly lacked fight and drive. He was the captain that stood watching Harry Kane take freekick after freekick. The captain that watched us give up the fight all last season. The captain that gave the ball away at the edge of the box then stood screaming into the faces of a very nervous teenager and a very nervous Smalling in the Leicester debacle. There's no evidence he's a good leader outside of the utter nonsense LVG talked.

Never mind though. I just have an agenda, nothing at all to do with putting the team ahead of a player that no longer offers anything.

At this point I'd just catapult him into the sea, just so we never have to fit him into the team and essentially be a player short again.

Bosws87

I'd love to see him gone, Fergie had set it up perfectly to get rid and have him out of the club, then Moyes had a nightmare.

He's not the player he used to be and is only gonna get worse from my perspective.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rooney was given a long term contract on a 300k a week. No one will ever give him that salary apart from some club in China and considering Rooney's nature I doubt he would be interested. Therefore our opinion on the matter is hardly relevant at this point.

I think that Mou is handling this well. Instead of causing friction with the player which may cause an open war in the dressing room, Mou is giving Rooney a chance without actually bending over backwards to accommodate Rooney's new 'circumstances'. In this present setup Rooney will start as a first teamer (I can't see anyone good enough to take his no 10 role) and its up to him to defend his role. Thinking about it, it benefits both side of the camp. Rooney will start as a first teamer and we will have an experienced head which is beneficial in times of change

Kostur

海尔的老板
This should be a poll but I don't know how to set that up.

For a long while now the anti-Rooney brigade here have been airing their dislike of one the club's (and the country's), best player. Even now, I believe that ever club in the Premiership would take him with open arms.

My view is that although he is not the player he was a few seasons ago, he is still a valuable asset and deserves to be in the team ahead of others in the squad.

Do you want him in or out? And why do you hold that opinion.
He deserves it only if he performs better than the others, not because he's Captain Rooney.

Let's face it - nobody will buy him off us, immense wages, very little quality, he wouldn't take a pay cut to play at some smaller club and he won't go to China because he barely speaks English. We're fecked with him till the very end of his contract.

ThanksBoss26

I'm undecided.

I just want a situation where he has to earn his starting spot as opposed to the last three seasons when he's been pretty much guaranteed it.

If he can rise to that challenge, then fair enough. That'll be good for United. If not and it becomes apparent he's just a back-up player, I'd imagine he'll move on next summer.

He's been indulged too much recently. Take that away and then we'll have our answer. If he's still got something about him, he'll face it head on.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is going to stay, at least for this 1 season. The real question is, would those who want him gone still hold the same decision if he plays well under Mourinho.

Who want him gone/stay actually is given if you read through any threads mentioning his name. The real mystery is why they want him to leave, really. Because I'm certain there are some here want him to even if he do well.

Zhadow

I think we have on every position he can play a better option. And I believe there will be unrest in the team when he gets benched. That is the sole reason I want him gone.

Ixion

I'd like to see him leave just so he doesn't break Sir Bobby's record.

He'll stay though, no other club is going to match his wage here. Hopefully he is treated like any other player by Mourinho though, if he's crap he gets benched.