Who wants Rooney gone and who wants him to stay

Wayne Rooney - do you want him to stay or go?

• Stay

Votes: 270 23.9%
  • Go

Votes: 706 62.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 153 13.6%

• Total voters

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Rooney hasn't played under a proper manager since Fergie.

He was also our best attacking player in the Moyes season and second best attacker since January of this year.

He was instrumental in our FA Cup too. The horror show that was his first half of the season was bad but remember our manager at the time had us playing the worst football I've witnessed at united .

Rooney along with Depay and Herrera and our other players deserve to at least prove themselves to Jose.

ash_86

Best case scenario would be to ship him to china and recoup £50m hopefully and use the money to get a actual #10. Rooney may have a good game here and there but no consistency. Bet Mourinho would see though him after few games if he stays.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
RedDevilCanuck said:
Rooney hasn't played under a proper manager since Fergie.
He was playing under a proper manager then, and he was so fantastic that SAF wanted to get rid of him, not least because van Persie had shown him how a real world class player performs.
RedDevilCanuck said:
Rooney along with Depay and Herrera and our other players deserve to at least prove themselves to Jose.
How many more years are we going to give chances to Rooney?; how many years 'til we find out his best position?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
What does respect have to do with playing well. Do you think either one of Rio, Vidic or Evra where respected with the way they were moved out of the club, despite being more influential than Rooney in their time here?

Isn't respect meant to be reciprocal? Did he apologise to fans for the whole contract saga? No, he didn't have to. The same way fans that love the club don't have to respect him.
If you can't respect the clubs (soon to be) all time top scorer who's clearly had a massive impact at this club and is rightly a legend then I feel for you I really do. This is my problem with your posts, they are just not at all objective because you can't look past the fact that your not a fan of his. It's fine wanting him gone and there are some valid reasons for that but from an outsider looking in your posts make him look like he's league 2 standard player which is clearly not the case. You think it's acceptable that on this forum you can't go to any thread without reading some sort of Rooney slander, he's been called a cancer by someone on here today and people were putting smiley faces to that and it's that total disregard for a Utd legend that pisses me off beyond belief because quite frankly no matter what he's doing on the pitch he doesn't deserve that treatment. I never see legends like Vidic or Ferdinand called the stuff that Rooney is called and that's the main reason why I point to the term 'agenda'.

dichinero

He was playing under a proper manager then, and he was so fantastic that SAF wanted to get rid of him, not least because van Persie had shown him how a real world class player performs.

Howe many more years are we going to give chances to Rooney?; how many years 'til we find out his best position?
We will be reading the same thing next year. It's sounding very rawkish!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
And they are just completely different players and strikers. Rooney doesn't have the pace and explosiveness he once had but he's still a top class finisher, I'd say even better than he was in 2009. That means that he has to be played to in a certain way in the same way that you wouldn't use a striker like Girou to run the channels, you can't expect Rooney to be a similar player to Rashford who has bags of youthful pace. In the correct system and settup, Rooney is still good enough to score over 20 goals up top and I think we will get 10-15 playing behind the striker next season.

Edit: @ivaldo also applies to your comment in that Rashford and Martial are entirely different players.
His finishing now isn't really any better than it was in 2009. And the problem is that he not only lacks pace and explosiveness; it's a noticeable detriment to his game. If you want a player in your team who's all-round game has gone to shit, but is a reliable and consistent finisher, he needs to be scoring an incredibly impressive amount of goals. And even you are admitting that he might get 10-15 goals: that's just not good enough for someone who's overall game is going to hold us back. The best strikers in the world have an excellent overall game, and if we want to return to the top then we need to be obtaining or developing the best strikers in the world. Rooney isn't one of them.

TrustInJanuzaj

His finishing now isn't really any better than it was in 2009. And the problem is that he not only lacks pace and explosiveness; it's a noticeable detriment to his game. If you want a player in your team who's all-round game has gone to shit, but is a reliable and consistent finisher, he needs to be scoring an incredibly impressive amount of goals. And even you are admitting that he might get 10-15 goals: that's just not good enough for someone who's overall game is going to hold us back. The best strikers in the world have an excellent overall game, and if we want to return to the top then we need to be obtaining or developing the best strikers in the world. Rooney isn't one of them.
Rooney won't b playing number 9 next season, he will play number 10 and if he gets 15 goals that's a very good return in that position.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Rooney won't b playing number 9 next season, he will play number 10 and if he gets 15 goals that's a very good return in that position.
He's not good enough to be a number 10, though. Or at least not good enough to be a very good one. You talk of Rooney needing service, and being provided with plenty of good balls, in order for him to deliver.

Isn't that part of the job of a number 10, though? At his best in that role, Rooney was capable of dropping into midfield, putting pressure on opposition midfielders, and linking up attack and midfield fantastically at times. I don't see how the current Rooney will be able to do that: he's slow, lethargic, and while he's still capable with a ball at his best, I'm not sure he's anymore capable than, say, Martial or Ibrahimovic will be; players who will probably offer us much more overall.

The problem with this argument is that for all your belief in Rooney, you say he needs to be accommodated for much more than a player of his supposed ability should be. And I'm not even sure he'll play as a number 10, either. Mourinho made it clear his role will be up front, and it's possible that will be as a main striker.

TrustInJanuzaj

He's not good enough to be a number 10, though. Or at least not good enough to be a very good one. You talk of Rooney needing service, and being provided with plenty of good balls, in order for him to deliver.

Isn't that part of the job of a number 10, though? At his best in that role, Rooney was capable of dropping into midfield, putting pressure on opposition midfielders, and linking up attack and midfield fantastically at times. I don't see how the current Rooney will be able to do that: he's slow, lethargic, and while he's still capable with a ball at his best, I'm not sure he's anymore capable than, say, Martial or Ibrahimovic will be; players who will probably offer us much more overall.

The problem with this argument is that for all your belief in Rooney, you say he needs to be accommodated for much more than a player of his supposed ability should be. And I'm not even sure he'll play as a number 10, either. Mourinho made it clear his role will be up front, and it's possible that will be as a main striker.
Time will tell but I have a feeling Rooney may have a better season that the last few years and I think he will start number 10

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Time will tell but I have a feeling Rooney may have a better season that the last few years and I think he will start number 10
I remain hopeful he's still got something to offer, but I struggle to see him being particularly effective in a number 10 role where his glaring overall weaknesses will be exposed. Presuming Ibra's a number 9, too, I struggle to see where Martial would fit in to such a system.

Revan

Assumptionman
Get rid. He isn't good enough to be a starter and he does like being a bench warmer. Add to that he gets paid 10 times as much as his performances are worth, so it should be an easy decision.

dichinero

If you can't respect the clubs (soon to be) all time top scorer who's clearly had a massive impact at this club and is rightly a legend then I feel for you I really do. This is my problem with your posts, they are just not at all objective because you can't look past the fact that your not a fan of his. It's fine wanting him gone and there are some valid reasons for that but from an outsider looking in your posts make him look like he's league 2 standard player which is clearly not the case. You think it's acceptable that on this forum you can't go to any thread without reading some sort of Rooney slander, he's been called a cancer by someone on here today and people were putting smiley faces to that and it's that total disregard for a Utd legend that pisses me off beyond belief because quite frankly no matter what he's doing on the pitch he doesn't deserve that treatment. I never see legends like Vidic or Ferdinand called the stuff that Rooney is called and that's the main reason why I point to the term 'agenda'.
Did I say i didn't respect him? Where and when? I said fans are not obliged to respect any player, it's a matter of opinion regardless of what they have achieved or not. Should some fans lose all respect for him for disrespecting the club they love, damn right that have the right to. Does that make them less of a fan? So please don't feel for me at all. This is a forum and you shouldn't expect everyone to disagree or agree with your post. I'm not a fan of Rooney and I'm not ashamed to say that BUT it does not mean I do not appreciate his achievement or did not regard his past ability. It's the same way I was never a fan of Gerrard but I definitely appreciated his ability or efforts, It's nothing to do with sentiments or respect.

As for the legend tag, that is also subjective. You want to call him a legend but don't expect others to call him a legend. It's opinion of fans. The day he broke the English record for goals, there was a debate among st some fans if despite breaking the record he was in the top 20 players in England's football history, some would argue he is not a top 5 England striker. A person can rightly argue that he broke the record because of longevity rather than pure striker's ability. Same thing with United, he is not a bigger forward than RVN, Charlton, Cantona, Ronaldo and that means he would not be in my 2 best XI, neither would he be in my top 10 United players of all time. That is just my opinion. So you should stop criticizing posters for not respect "your" legend and calling it an agenda.

Btw, aren't players called legend after they have left the club? Would it now be fair if I said you are also driving an agenda? You think the likes of Vidic and Rio didn't get criticized at the club?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The whole of next season will be spent arguing about his best position. It's getting tedious.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
If he was in midfield, I'd want him gone. As a forward I think he can still bang in a few goals for us. Expensive for a few goals, but better the devil you know

TrustInJanuzaj

Did I say i didn't respect him? Where and when? I said fans are not obliged to respect any player, it's a matter of opinion regardless of what they have achieved or not. Should some fans lose all respect for him for disrespecting the club they love, damn right that have the right to. Does that make them less of a fan? So please don't feel for me at all. This is a forum and you shouldn't expect everyone to disagree or agree with your post. I'm not a fan of Rooney and I'm not ashamed to say that BUT it does not mean I do not appreciate his achievement or did not regard his past ability. It's the same way I was never a fan of Gerrard but I definitely appreciated his ability or efforts, It's nothing to do with sentiments or respect.

As for the legend tag, that is also subjective. You want to call him a legend but don't expect others to call him a legend. It's opinion of fans. The day he broke the English record for goals, there was a debate among st some fans if despite breaking the record he was in the top 20 players in England's football history, some would argue he is not a top 5 England striker. A person can rightly argue that he broke the record because of longevity rather than pure striker's ability. Same thing with United, he is not a bigger forward than RVN, Charlton, Cantona, Ronaldo and that means he would not be in my 2 best XI, neither would he be in my top 10 United players of all time. That is just my opinion. So you should stop criticizing posters for not respect "your" legend and calling it an agenda.

Btw, aren't players called legend after they have left the club? Would it now be fair if I said you are also driving an agenda? You think the likes of Vidic and Rio didn't get criticized at the club?
I never once saw Vidic, Ferdinand or any other legend receive the abuse that Rooney gets being called a Cnut and a cancer on the club to name a couple. He's a legend in every meaning of the word and the fact that you can't see that and put it down to 'opinion' is ridiculous. His longevity in itself is brilliant and not someone you should be using as another stick to beat him with. Just because he's not in your legends 11 doesn't mean he's not a brilliant player, man Utd just happen to have a history filled with exceptional players so it's not unusual that Rooney doesn't make that list.

What would my agenda be? Wanting to support a player that has given us a decade of top class football? Believing that maybe, just maybe he's not declined as much as people like to portray and may infact be a victim of 3 years of turbulence post Fergie that has also plagued other good players at the club (RVP, Di Maria, Herrera, Schnidelin, to name afew). As for your last point you don't have to leave a club to be a legend. Totti still plays for Roma and he's a huge legend for the club. Carrick for Utd likewise. I don't love Rooney, he's not my favourite player in our current squad but that doesn't mean I can't objectively view him and the way he's treated on this forum. The problem here is that so many people have this agenda driven view that Rooney is shite that even a simple objective post such as "he has good passing" is brushed aside leads to the poster being labelled a fan boy. If there's one area that this forum always delivers on its writing players off and saying they are past it. Time and time again I read on here that a player is past it and then when they recover there form all is forgotten.

Tyrion

He costs too much and is too difficult to fit into the team considering how little he provides on the pitch these days. We'd be better off moving him on which might take a while as no one would pay his wages.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He should go, he's no business at a club of our ambitions, and I honestly believe he'd struggle to get into most Premier League sides.

My main gripe with him though, is his status. I believe every other United player would be taken out of the team for underperformance, but this free pass he has absolutely sickens me, and makes him a burden to the team.

He is here for his off field contribution, his level is nowhere near that which would attract us if he played elsewhere, and I imagine if he was still at Everton or so, he wouldn't get into the England squad either.

Minimalist

Not good enough anymore. Hasn't been for a long time.

I don't expect him to go and I'd be happy for him to warm the bench. However if you give the option - 100% yes, sell him.

ReDDHDevilS

Rooney will have one of his best seasons. He is a perfect Jose No10 - guarantees goals and graft. Although I don't find the prospect of Rooney playing as No10 appealing because of his poor link-up play. Through his poor first touch, poor quick short-pass move ability, frequently getting dispossessed he kills off good attacking moves. But this is where he'll play and score goals because he'll be given the freedom to take long range shots which was one of his main sources of goals in the past.

Also the perception that Jose is ruthless is partially true. He's ruthless to players who he doesn't think suit his style. But he's very loyal to the players he deems fit his philosophy(:wenger:). Ivanovic was the main culprit for Chelsea's shambolic defense last season. He's getting rinsed by every Tom, Dick, and Harry and became a laughing stock. What did Jose do? He played him week in week out! Fabregas was one of Chelsea's worst players for months and despite Jose talking big about youth and all, he didn't even change what clearly wasn't working. He gave Loftus Cheek one half against West Ham I believe before slating him for his performance even though the likes of Ivanovic, Fabregas, Hazard etc. produced far worse performances week after week.

So contrary to what many think, I can't see Rooney getting dropped under Jose. This a player he desperately wanted to sign, this a player he contacted first after getting United job, this a player he just a few weeks ago hailed as the best English player in last decade!

clarkydaz

He should go, he's no business at a club of our ambitions, and I honestly believe he'd struggle to get into most Premier League sides.

My main gripe with him though, is his status. I believe every other United player would be taken out of the team for underperformance, but this free pass he has absolutely sickens me, and makes him a burden to the team.

He is here for his off field contribution, his level is nowhere near that which would attract us if he played elsewhere, and I imagine if he was still at Everton or so, he wouldn't get into the England squad either.
I kind of agree with this, hence I mentioned people just assume he would waltz into the Everton side.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Go..... he was a fast goalscorer and worth a lot of money when we bought him.

I think he's a "decent" forward.... losing yard of pace has impacted

I think he's an "ok" No.10...... don't think has the quick mind to be as creative as the role needs

I think he's an average MF ..... not a great tackler, not a bad passer (though a bit Gerrardy and likes the Hollywood pass).

In short, I think he's a 7.5/10 player that can do a job in a few roles..... think Milner but a bit better. BUT, we don't need players who can "do a job" on £300k/week - we need to aim higher and I think we run the risk of him slowing the progress of younger players. We either get players who are top class in their role OR we have multi-purpose players on less cash and preferably young (so can still develop).

Thanks for the memories .... bye.

Last edited:

dichinero

I never once saw Vidic, Ferdinand or any other legend receive the abuse that Rooney gets being called a Cnut and a cancer on the club to name a couple. He's a legend in every meaning of the word and the fact that you can't see that and put it down to 'opinion' is ridiculous. His longevity in itself is brilliant and not someone you should be using as another stick to beat him with. Just because he's not in your legends 11 doesn't mean he's not a brilliant player, man Utd just happen to have a history filled with exceptional players so it's not unusual that Rooney doesn't make that list.

What would my agenda be? Wanting to support a player that has given us a decade of top class football? Believing that maybe, just maybe he's not declined as much as people like to portray and may infact be a victim of 3 years of turbulence post Fergie that has also plagued other good players at the club (RVP, Di Maria, Herrera, Schnidelin, to name afew). As for your last point you don't have to leave a club to be a legend. Totti still plays for Roma and he's a huge legend for the club. Carrick for Utd likewise. I don't love Rooney, he's not my favourite player in our current squad but that doesn't mean I can't objectively view him and the way he's treated on this forum. The problem here is that so many people have this agenda driven view that Rooney is shite that even a simple objective post such as "he has good passing" is brushed aside leads to the poster being labelled a fan boy. If there's one area that this forum always delivers on its writing players off and saying they are past it. Time and time again I read on here that a player is past it and then when they recover there form all is forgotten.
Dude, you are taking things too too personal.

The likes of Rio, Vidic and Evra adhered themselves to the fans and even after leaving the club for a few years, I'm very very certain that most fans would love to see them at the club in some capacity. These players didn't just earn the fans' love on the pitch with their displays but through the special connections forged with the fans over the years. This is stuff that remains with fans for years and years. You are purposefully neglecting the fact that Rooney hurt millions of fans, twice and you are expecting them to sweep it under the carpet just because. Imagine a match paying fan hearing how Rooney disrespected a club they love would have reacted, they are within their rights to be eternally pissed off at him. Players like Park and O'Shea will forever be loved by fans despite not being world beaters because the got the fans affection . Rooney didn't but did otherwise. Wherever Evra goes, our fans will give him the utmost respect. He earned it. Legends do not have to be the best players and vice versa. Find me a legend that is as disliked as Rooney is. You use Totti as an example because he still at the club but he is still very much loved by the fans even if he is not putting the high level performances he used to. The legendary status is enhanced by the fans opinion.

You are trying to force your opinion on other posters the legend and agenda posts because you think fans hate him. I don't think people hate Rooney, they just don't fancy him as much as you do, and they have their reasons for it. You should stop taking it personally. You keep saying stuff like he is a top class player and has excellent finishing and expect everyone to agree with you. When you call him a top class player and fans don't see a top class performance what do you expect people to do. Now you are saying he is a victim of 3 years of turbulence when he has been in a constant decline for almost 5 years.

TehRed

Personally I think this season should be his last with us.

I think he'll be important for Jose, the locker room leader and all that, and he'll still be captain. I think Jose has wanted to work with Rooney and he should get one season to do that.

After that, cash in for whatever he'll still be worth (China or USA maybe?)

moxdevil

Personally I think this season should be his last with us.

I think he'll be important for Jose, the locker room leader and all that, and he'll still be captain. I think Jose has wanted to work with Rooney and he should get one season to do that.

After that, cash in for whatever he'll still be worth (China or USA maybe?)
I agree. He will only stay if he can do what Jose wants from him, cannot see Jose keeping him around if he's not performing and can recoup a decent tranfer fee.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I still think he has something to offer, but I wouldn't be devastated if he left either.
This about sums it up nicely for me. I also think if Jose has him in the proper areas he will do very well as he still has a bit class about him. Very under rated on this board but think that might be down to his transfer request saga a few years ago when you consider how shite Mata and Herrera have been and they don't get anywhere near as much stick on here. Before anybody starts jumping up and down about his wages Mata will be on a pretty amount also and both Mata and Herrera cost slightly more and have contributed much less value for money. Rooney will be remembered for years to come whilstthe other two will be footnotes.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Rooney is a better midfielder now than he is a 9 or 10 .

But he's not a very good midfielder either though.

He should be moved on. But I'm realistic enough to see that it won't be easy. They will be multiple briefings, lots of stuff written and his press buddies bigging him up before he leaves.

Seeing the way that Woodward has operated this far with Rio,Louis and Moyes,Rooney's departure isbt far off . But he won't see it coming.

Aki_United

Stay, only United face left there. Need him marketing wise in UK. Can still contribute ins small games, we have enough of games next season.

wr8_utd

:'(
Even if he were to score 30 goals next season there would be people who'd want him gone next year. I hope he stays but gets dropped if he's playing poorly.

Art Vandelay

15 goals but still slowing down our attack and failing to control the ball? 15 goals and nothing but passes to the right wing? Are you suggesting he's suddenly going to be a different player than he has been for the past 4 years? You keep talking about people being objective but you're failing to see what's actually happening on the pitch on a very, very regular basis.

liamp

this Everton thing gets mentioned a lot casually. Bar sentiment, why would Everton would want him now?
Better question would be could Everton afford him?

I always vote "go" on these polls but truthfully, there's not really a viable exit strategy. Given the size and length of his contract, he will invariably stay.

davidmichael

If we play 4-3-3 then it's hard to see a place for him in the team as I think our best 11 would be De Gea, Valencia, Smalling, Bailly, Shaw, Herrera, Carrick, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Ibrahamovic and Martial with Rashford alternating with Ibrahamovic and since Jose has said Rooney will not play in midfield then there's no role for him.

If we play 4-2-3-1 then it's obvious his role would central of the 3 behind the 1 with Mkhitaryan and Martial either side of him and one of Ibrahamovic or Rashford as the 1 up top, he struggled when playing there last season but would have pace in Rashford and Martial and even Mkhitaryan and world class players around him in Pogba and Ibrahamovic.

I think Jose will give him this season and if he doesn't live up to Jose's standards or doesn't perform then I can see someone young and much more dynamic coming in like Dele Alli, I think next summer we'll look at replacing Rooney and Carrick but it would be too much upheaval and too much money in one window to add the quality needed and look at replacing Rooney at the same time.

We've got ready made replacements to take over as captain in Smalling, De Gea and Pogba if he signs and also Jones IF Jose can keep him fit and he proves he's the player we thought he could be so I think unless Rooney has at the least a good season this coming one will be his last for us.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Better question would be could Everton afford him?

I always vote "go" on these polls but truthfully, there's not really a viable exit strategy. Given the size and length of his contract, he will invariably stay.
Yup. The only clubs that could afford him and he'd be willing to go to won't want him. China would probably want him and be willing to pay the sums required but I just don't see him moving there.

And as I've already said, I don't think there's a need for him to leave right now. Unless there's a chance we could get Griezmann or someone of a similar quality, which I doubt, then there's no point getting rid just yet. We have to have faith that Mourinho will either get more out of him or drop him if he doesn't contribute.

hubbuh

Wazza is earning up to £300K a week at the moment. He's got 3 more years to run on that contract. There's no way Everton can even pay half that sum and we (Mortimer and Ed) can't see China paying him substantially more than his current wage to persuade him to move (£400K-500K?). Even if he was benched at Utd he would still stick around and see out the lucrative contract.
So here we are: we are effectively trapped in a big box of Rooney mediorce mush. #soccernomics