Who wants Rooney gone and who wants him to stay

Wayne Rooney - do you want him to stay or go?

• Stay

Votes: 270 23.9%
  • Go

Votes: 706 62.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 153 13.6%

• Total voters

FattyFooty

Buisness wise, giving Rooney contract and buying Mata in the same window, was disturbing.

Rooney will not be sold either you want him or not. Hes to focused on money, and i highly doubt any other club on this planet gives him that kind of money.

RedRover

I don't see where he's going to play. Mourinho said he isn't a midfielder, and he's not good enough to get in upfront.

If he's smart his agent will be looking into moved to the MLS or China.

Croftona7

I'm hoping that for the first time since Fergie retired, Rooney plays when he's earned a place but is on the bench when he hasn't.

Has anything been said about who's captain for the coming season?

I'd imagine it will be Rooney again and if that's the case it's likely he's seen by Mourinho as a likely starter each week.

Time will tell but I reckon Mourinho has the cajones to drop him when it's warranted, which based on the season just gone will be often.

Lentwood

Ship him off to China. Has been a fabulous player and one of the few genuine world class players we have had recently but time catches up with everybody eventually and since he wont be happy to play a bit-part role needs to go

dichinero

All I'm saying is Rooney to China pays for the bulk or Griezmann or Pogba!

Mindhunter

Interesting that quite a few people want him to stay. I am a massive Rooney fan and last summer I was one of the posters here who defended him and wanted him to get another chance. However, looking at the way this season has panned out it is the best for everyone if he leaves.

With his trying to be a midfielder, it is abundantly clear that he doesn't fancy himself as a striker and with no self-belief and with an aging body it is next to impossible for him to have a productive season. His biggest motivation is to get as much money as he can earn before he returned and we should ship him off to China if the opportunity arises.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Interesting that quite a few people want him to stay. I am a massive Rooney fan and last summer I was one of the posters here who defended him and wanted him to get another chance. However, looking at the way this season has panned out it is the best for everyone if he leaves.

With his trying to be a midfielder, it is abundantly clear that he doesn't fancy himself as a striker and with no self-belief and with an aging body it is next to impossible for him to have a productive season. His biggest motivation is to get as much money as he can earn before he returned and we should ship him off to China if the opportunity arises.
I'd like him gone, but I just don't think there's much point in getting rid right now. He was horrid last season but still contributed more than other players, so unless we can get someone to replace him I think we're better off holding on to him now. You could argue that him being here takes a first-team spot away from Mata/Mkhitaryan or a promising youngster, or even stops us from playing a better formation, but that falls on Mourinho.

That said, if selling him to China for £30-40m and buying Griezmann was a viable option I wouldn't hesitate to sell.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
I think we are preparing for life without him, which basically means we are hoping to buy someone that can replace his commercial atrributes and marketability. Replacing what he provides on the pitch is a non issue.

Once Pogba or someone similar is signed then we can finally let him go.

kenny19

If he can accept bench duty he can stay this season. Next season he has to go given he is on ridiculous wages.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
i want him to stay if he is prepared to become a squad player, mentor to young players, and isnt just shoe horned into a team becos he is Wayne Rooney

Fortis Mente

He should be sold, as he is no longer good enough to play for this club. It will be difficult to get someone to pay his buyout clause of £2.50, but we must at least try.

ghagua

I want him gone. Not a Rooney hater, but I don't think he should be a starter in the team in any position, but with his wages and reputation, he will get to start.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I was please Jose said he wouldn't be a midfielder, but the reason he was dropped back there was becasue he wasn't good enough as a striker anymore, so what use do we really have for him now? None, so gone.
Sums it up just about. The only real thing he can offer the club at this point is a strong presence in the dressing room, continuity etc, and one good game every 5 or 6. It's counter-productive to have him starting, but I wouldn't be averse to him being a squad player if he'll accept such a demotion.

gza the genius

Even if he were to score 30 goals next season there would be people who'd want him gone next year. I hope he stays but gets dropped if he's playing poorly.
Id be fine with him staying if I thought him getting dropped if he didn't play well was an actual option, unfortunately he seems mostly immune from being dropped. I don't really see him turning his form around and I'd rather get rid and avoid the risk that we persist with him just because he's Rooney.

Eplel

I want him out.
His form and his will to play for the club do not reflect his wages. He has asked to leave the club twice.

rotherham_red

Mourinho might prefer to sort the Rooney issue next summer. He might not take the risk of dumping his captain in the very first season as he is still highly respected by players and pundits. He might want to phase him out this season. Rooney would help the new signings to bed in. He might prefer to make the Rooney replacement his marquee signing next summer.

This is what I think will happen. If it was up to me, I had want this situation to be sorted as soon as possible.
Though I'd prefer him gone this summer, I think this is what will eventually transpire.

manutddjw

I want him gone and it's his own fault. It has nothing to do with his wages or his diminished abilities and everything to do with his past actions. In his past he's shown that if he doesn't get picked regardless of his form, he'll kick up a fuss and cause distractions for the team. It's not needed and neither is he anymore.

He's our captain and from what I've read a popular person amongst the players. We don't need someone undermining the manager for their own self serving reasons to the other players.

He's staying for the time being, and if he suddenly has change in attitude and accepts whatever role his play merits I have no problem with him staying.

Claymore

Rooney is past it, the signs are all there and even if Jose does get a good load of goals out of him its happening. He smokes, drinks and eats crap and when he ain't doing that he's living on energy drinks so its no wonder he's about knackered. He was never as dedicated to football as Ronaldo and co which is why he never reached their level. He's had an awesome career at United for £30m but time to let him go if we can.

CallMeV

I'm 94% certain that he won't be able turn it around under Mourinho, but still: It's Wayne Rooney, he deserves to be given a last chance.

Worst case scenario - 1/2 year as a squad player and shipped off in January.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He can stay, but has to understand he won't be close to a key man anymore.

The two wide players, Ibra, and even Pogba, though I still doubt that one, would see him mere support cast.
Which is good news for us.

hubbuh

Wazza is earning up to £300K a week at the moment. He's got 3 more years to run on that contract. There's no way Everton can even pay half that sum and we (Mortimer and Ed) can't see China paying him substantially more than his current wage to persuade him to move (£400K-500K?). Even if he was benched at Utd he would still stick around and see out the lucrative contract.
So here we are: we are effectively trapped in a big box of Rooney mediorce mush. #soccernomics

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Needs to go for the club's sake. I dread another season of 'leaks' from the dressing room if things aren't going to plan for him. Unfortunately for us, Mourinho is not LVG. No matter the pressure that leaks etc caused for Louis - he still didn't react as such. However with Jose, there will be war - and I dread that happening as it will surely disrupt the dressing room.

Rooney will have a few good performances, but he won't be able to sustain this (we've seen this for at least 3 seasons now). Imo it has nothing to do with the managers he's worked under - he's just declined and doesn't seem to me to have the hunger that you need at this level. In other words, he doesn't have Ronaldo's mentality.

Even in SAF's last season, you could see some signs of decline. Sir Alex is useless in recommending managers:D - but he is absolutely spot on 99% of the time on when a player has reached their limits with regards to making contributions to the team. I therefore trust him 100% on this, and I wish the club had listened to him in this respect and sold Rooney to Chelsea.

In any case, we're stuck with him this season at least.

stevoc

I find it interesting that so many don't care about the £100m fee for Pogba (I don't myself). And if anyone questions it they are often told: ''Why do you care how much he costs it's not your money.''

Yet a lot of the same people are in here and seem very concerned about how much Rooney makes every week like it is their money.

kundalini

I'm desperate for Rooney to leave and have been for years. I can't believe the special treatment he has received since Sir Alex left.

By the way, I was against us signing Schweinsteiger, Zlatan and giving Carrick a new deal. I would much rather take risks with talented 18 - 21 year olds than big names in their 30s.

Bwuk

I don't see where he fits if we want Pogba. Pogba is clearly better played as advanced midfielder rather than deep, and Zlatan is miles ahead of Rooney as a #9. Rooney is probably our forth choice #9.

Winrar

it depends on how well he does under mourinho.

if he gives similar performances as last year I wouldn't hesitate to see the back of him. though it's not like he's shown significant improvement, even with the one or two odd good performaces in 2016.

clarkydaz

I find it interesting that so many don't care about the £100m fee for Pogba (I don't myself). And if anyone questions it they are often told: ''Why do you care how much he costs it's not your money.''

Yet a lot of the same people are in here and seem very concerned about how much Rooney makes every week like it is their money.
one would improve the side instantly, the other 'arguably' hinders it

Someone

Something
Rooney has been average for years now, so there's no reason for me to believe that the peak rooney is just around the corner waiting to come back.

The whole idea of turning him into a midfielder came after the realization that he isn't a good forward anymore, now that mourinho refuses to shoe horn him into anything other than a forward, it's clear to me that his time is up.

Even if he manages to gain some form under mourinho, we need more than just a decent rooney, we need a world class player.

stevoc

one would improve the side instantly, the other 'arguably' hinders it
Arguably yes you may be right mate.

But i'm asking why the feck does anyone care what he makes, or feel the need to bang on about it every 3rd-4th post in every Rooney thread.

Just like the Pogba fee it's not our money so who gives a feck. If he's crap next year Mourinho will drop him, if he's good then we'll have nothing to complain about. Simples.

surf

Don't think it's realistic to have him gone this summer. Next maybe. In the meantime I don't see him as an automatic starter at all, especially if Pogba signs.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Mark my words:

He's going to stay this season as well as take the captain's armband. And as it has been for the past few years, Rooney's performances will mostly be awful, though with the occasional moments of brilliance. But I'm certain he knows he's shit and that he just wants the goal scoring record, which he will achieve. He'll eventually be used as an impact player coming off the bench later in the season and then off to either the US or China for one final pay day. He gets the legendary status that he wants (and possibly another PL medal), and the club will get the freedom they want to move on without him.

cfkane

When it comes right down to it, this is a pointless exercise. If Jose wants to keep him, we keep him, if not, we don't. Doesn't matter what his wages are, we can afford it, and those wages will not prevent us from signing anyone we want. We do not know how ANY player will perform under the manager. Don't see why we should even worry about who's going to leave before we have at least seen a few pre-season games. I reserve my judgement on all payers until that time. As the coach said, he wants us to forget the last 3 years and that is what I am doing. Clean slate for everyone until opening day at least or the close of the transfer window.

LeftyBlaster

Not sure how it doesn't make sense. You need quality around you. Bayern, Barca, Madrid, etc, despite having their main player, have an abundance of quality around them.

Actually, I remember Ronaldo talking about lack of quality after their loss to Athletico.

“I’m not going to lie,” Ronaldo said, “I like Karim [Benzema], and when Karim’s not there, it’s harder. When [Gareth] Bale, Marcelo and Pepe are not there, it’s harder.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...mmates-as-La-Liga-hopes-take-mortal-blow.html

Yes, Rooney should be possibly doing more, but we have lacked the quality around him in the last few years.
Sorry I should've clarified. I made that statement regarding what you said about Rooney playing better when he isn't the main man. To be clear, I do agree with you that it is harder, for anyone, to perform to their maximum potential when there is a lack of quality around them. However, Rooney has been held up to the main man, the talisman, the captain, the undroppable, and has been given privileges and a contract to match that. Would he be better with higher quality players around him? Undoubtedly; but so would many other players. The issue is he has not performed to an acceptable standard in relation to his status for a long time now, but yet people continue to justify his inclusion by citing individual games, or short periods of time, or his performances from years ago whilst ignoring the fact that he has been bang on average for club and country for a long time now. If we continue to accommodate him, he will end up hurting us more.

I am all for him leaving and if it were up to me I'd sell him without a second thought for pittance. However, I am happy that Jose has put pressure on him to perform and has rightly planned to play him in an offensive role up top. If he can bring back a bit of the goalscorer, then good.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
So to all those who say his diabolical form before Christmas last season was down to lvg, what was the reason for his similar five month spell under saf after wc 2010? And his regular 4/8 game spells of being piss poor ever since he signed for us. He has always been a streak player who ranges between the sublime and the ridiculous, it's just that the spells of ridiculous are gettin longer and the sublime has now become just acceptable

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I hope that if he stays, he has to earn his spot.

My bigger worry is that i don't see how he will fit as a 10 (or 9 1/2) unless we are playing 4-2-3-1, whereas pogba would be better suited to a 4-3-3. If we end up playing a system just to accommodate him, it would be such a waste.

Oaencha

Hypothetical scenario -

Would you rather Utd continue to pay Rooney £300k a week and play him every game, even when he is trash; effectively handicapping the team?

or

Pay Rooney his £45 million wages up front and tell him to piss off and find a new club?